Sunrise

Sunrise

 

As the orange hues reflect upon the still body of water, a lone male sits amongst the reeds. Legs bent at the knee and one arm resting, wrist flopping. Shards of light bounce in every direction as the wind picks up, leaving small waves and ripples further out along the horizon. Dark locks fall to obscure the glittering vision before the man in his late twenties decides to straighten his legs and allow his back to collide with the ticklish lengths of grass, his raven hair now fanning out (just a couple of inches) amongst the emerald flora.

Owlish eyes now gaze into a burning sky, red sky in the morning – a shepherd’s warning. Ironic really, considering the day that lies ahead of him. A day to remember. A day of heartache and immense pain, yet he can’t bring himself to feel any alarm or panic towards the inevitability. He has a strange kind of calm that takes over his persona. The wind rustles and the long grass tickles against his exposed forearms where thin writs and delicate bones stretch out from his navy t-shirt. The hair on his legs is gently moved too until it feels like tiny ants are crawling along his shins, an unwanted feeling but shifting or itching is just too much trouble for the oddly relaxed male.

This time tomorrow, it will all be over. He will have followed the routines of the day, connected with those around him on a base level that requires fake smiles and sympathetic gestures. His mind will be occupied with the pain of memories and the whisper of those final words. Silly really. Nothing profound or philosophical. Just mundane words, spoken by the average person thousands of times in a lifetime. ‘I’ll be home soon.’ Yet despite their humdrum quality, they are relentless in repeating and whirling around in his mind. They have been ever since last week, and now they echo, not a deafening drone like before but now a careless whisper, barely there, as if being swept away on the wind, never to be heard again.

The temperature is still chilly, causing goosebumps to litter his exposed arms and legs. The cold is comforting despite his body’s reaction. The chill in the air keeps his feelings calm, his mind calm, it keeps the memories frozen in time so they can’t torture his mind any longer. He lies there, tranquil and unfeeling until the sky is bathed in a cobalt blue. The sun warms his skin, sizzling away the chill of the early morning and replacing his limbs with tingles and feeling once more. With the feeling comes the memories, with the warmth, comes his smile. With the blue sky comes his soft gaze. With the chirping of the birds comes his deep chuckle. The golden hues bring with them his tanned skin and tender kiss.

It’s too much. All at once the world comes flooding back. He sits, the earth still damp from morning dew but the soil beneath his bare feet is beginning to dry out on top. He digs his toes into the dirt, feeling the cool, moist earth calm him momentarily before his head snaps behind him at the sound of his name. She’s there, a look of terrified grief lining her features momentarily before it is replaced with the rehearsed sympathetic smile he has become accustomed to.

His creaking knees lift him from amongst the towering grasses; he walks steadily and without haste towards the woman who causes him so much pain. He takes in her soft, sky blue eyes, her deep voice and golden complexion. She lets slip a genuine, sad smile as she pats him on the shoulder; he wishes she wouldn’t smile like that, like him.

Entering the cottage, he keeps his gaze on the floor. The photo frames haunt him at every turn and he can’t bear to look upon them. After a few mumbled words and pitiful glances he finds himself alone. On the large bed lies a black suit, tie, shirt, shoes. Even the bed mocks him with the presence of only one entity, one suit, one tie, one pair of shoes. He wears them without fuss, without thought. As he stands to look in the mirror of the wardrobe he sees the reflection of the sunlight shining in from the opened window. Finally, he lets out a smile. The sun watching over him, warming his skin.

‘I’ll be home soon’ he thinks before his face falls stoic once more and he resumes his duties for the day. Just one day, just one more day.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

A/N: I was in the mood to write out my feelings and so this was born. I wrote it with Kaisoo in mind but it can be applied to anyone really. Also, I'm not sure if it's clear what my intention was or what was supposed to be going on. I left it a little up to interpretation so I'd love to hear what your minds conjured up. OR what you think I was implying. 

Anyway, ill try to update EOR and HH soon. 

Xx L xX