paint me

colors | seungjin

the next day, hyunjin's feet take him to the park again. he's surprised (but not disappointed) to see seungmin sitting there alone again with no sight of chan anywhere.

"chan hyung is busy again?" hyunjin asks and takes a sit on the bench. seungmin nods.

"hyunjin, what's your favorite color?" he asks.

hyunjin doesn't hesitate before answering, "i like red and blue!"

seungmin gives a small "hmm".

hyunjin asks back, "what about yours? do you have a favorite color?"

the other shakes his head softly. "i've never seen colors." seungmin smiles, but the smile doesn't look the way it always does.

it makes hyunjin feel horrible for asking. and seungmin must have sensed it because he pats his hand softly before asking another question.

"can you describe the color red for me?"

hyunjin thinks for a moment.

"hmm, let me see. red, there's so much stuff in this world that is red. a can of coke is red. it's astonishing. it stands out, and it grabs your attention. in traffic lights, red means stop. in some other cases, red means trouble. red is anger and sometimes, the anger is so red it completely makes you forget everything other than the fire that's burning inside of you.

but red could be love. it could be the color of the way your heart flutters when you're with someone. it could be the color of the way fire ignites when their fingers touch your skin or the way a flood of emotions hits you like a ocean wave, and you hold on anyway because that's what makes it so special. that's what makes you feel special."

seungmin is quiet for a moment, hyunjin thinks he probably speaks too much. "was that over the top? i'm sorry, i got kind of carried awa-"

"oh no, it's okay, really. how about blue? what is it like?"

his question throws hyunjin into another loop as he struggles to find an answer.

"blue is nice. it's the way you feel when a cool breeze touches your skin. when you're swimming in water, the wetness feels relaxing; that's how blue feels. blue is the color of the sky and the sea, like the blue winter sky and the ocean in spring. it stands for sadness, perhaps like when you're crying, but you're not sure exactly why or like the tug at your heart when a loved one is gone. it could be ecstasy; it feels like you're floating, like the clouds in the sky. blue is the color of your healing bruises. like; it still hurts, but you know you're going to be okay after awhile.

blue is peace, it's quiet and open and free. it's the color that you feel when you sigh in content and breathe in fresh air. it can be charmingly vibrant and outgoing. it can be as dark and deep as the sky during a starry night with infinite possibilities. or it can be the relaxation and peace you feel as you lay in a field of grass as a gentle breeze blows across your face. blue is a lot of things all in just one color."

he finishes, turning to look at seungmin who's listening intently, his lips parted a little, forming a small "o". hyunjin snaps his fingers in front of his face, bringing him back to reality.

"sorry, i was too focused on imagining. now i can understand why you like those two colors. both of them sound lovely."

hyunjin laughs. "so? which one do you like? blue or red?"

seungmin took a moment to think, his lips forming a straight line in concentration.

"um- i think blue? i like the way it feels." he answers.

hyunjin laughs again. "why do you sound uncertain?"

seungmin sighs in frustration.

"i don't know! both of them sound very nice. it's hard to pick just one. but i'll go with blue, i guess. fire is not my thing." he made a face, causing hyunjin to laugh for the third time.

seungmin does nothing to mention the fact that his heart skips a beat whenever the other boy laughs. or the fact that it fluttered when he's listening to hyunjin talk so passionately about his favorite colors.

---

yo I actually had to google how to describe colors bcs I am the #1