Four

Just You And Me

“Will she be okay?” you hear a voice, coated heavily with worry and panic say.

“Yeah, the nurse said that she’s fine but that part of her head going to swell up though.” Sehun says, his voice carrying a ton of guilt. As you open your very weighty eyes, your hazy view comes back to you, making your head pound before slowly transiting to a clear view of a group of people surrounding your bed. You can see Eunmi biting down her nails, a method you’ve long known to soothe herself; next to her is the whole basketball team (basically Sehun’s other group of friends) making commotion that you’re finally awake.

“Oh my god, are you okay?!”

“Is your head still attached to your neck?”

“Have you lost your memories?”

“Can you guys like shut up?” Eunmi snaps, rolling her eyes and despite her attempt to shut them down, they use this as a chance to throw more questions to you not even caring that you’ve just woken up.

Despite the huge commotion that they’re making, your eyes rake over Sehun’s face and as always, his face is expressionless though you’re pretty sure that his eyes are lace with worry and guilt.

“Are you fine?” Sehun says, his hands making its way to side of the bed leaning into it. “I’m sorry I couldn’t catch the ball. If I did, you probably wouldn’t be lying here with a massive headache and a swelled head,” he apologises and his hands rub your arms in a sorry manner, trying to make you forgive him (as if you wouldn’t) as well as trying to soothe you from the chaos the boys and Eunmi are making from the background.

“Well, it’s a miracle that my head is still on my neck, you know,” you say, trying your hardest to not break your façade, giving him a light glare as if trying to make him cower.

His eyes widens, probably afraid that you wouldn’t forgive him. “I know! Which is why I’ll be treating you to your favorite ice cream parlour today? Hmm?” he pleads, trying to show his best puppy face.

You scoff and squint your eyes as if saying that his offer isn’t good enough even though you’re only playing with him. Sehun whines at you, being super childish and you crack a grin, breaking your façade. He smiles widely at you and you return back the smile content that you’ve gotten your way. You turn to the other side of the bed swiftly (the side where they boys are arguing with Eunmi), completely forgetting the bruised side of your head and you groaned in pain, absolutely hating yourself for being dumb and clumsy. Fortunately, as the ice pack falls down to the ground, the boys and Eunmi’s attention now focus on you, their face shows nothing but concern.

“Oh my god please be careful, I don’t want the swelling to be even worse.” Eunmi says and the boys nod, agree with her statement.

“Yeah we don’t really want you to be walking around looking as if your brain have been misplaced and is now outside of your skull,” Chanyeol says as he picks up the ice pack and give it to you, only for the ice pack to be thrown at his arm as a payment for making fun of you.

 

“Sehun, I’m fine, I’m not on my death bed yet.” You say rather exasperatedly. Here you are, walking back from school in the direction of the ice cream shop, with Sehun and Eunmi by your side. Sehun is walking with your bag slinging on his shoulders, and his eyes keep darting onto you as if you will disappear the moment he stops laying his eyes on you. On your left is Eunmi, holding onto your files, also looking slightly worried. You’re actually touched at the fact that they’re worrying about your being but it’s getting very suffocating for you to have two pairs of eyes observing each and every one of your movements.

“Not on your death bed yet, pumpkin.” He says with his eyebrows raised and you turn your head to Eunmi who is nodding her head keenly, in accord with Sehun’s opinion. You heave a sigh, giving up in trying to persuade them both to believe you and you make your way into the shop, leaving the two figures behind.

As you open the door, the bell chimes, you say, “Look, you two. By the power of God I still have the power to open this door.” You say with a contrived smile which you know well yourself that those two won’t believe you.

“Opening the door barely even use any energy, . We’re just scared that you’d damage your head even more and worsen up the injury.” Eunmi says as she tread into the store, eyes already on the frozen sweet treat behind the glass. “Ooh, I’m getting cotton candy and peanut butter, those two look good.”

You nod in agreement, eyes twinkling. “Can I also have a taste?” you say to which Eunmi nods, giving you her permission to share the food; you turn to Sehun with a look of incredulity and he returns the look because Bae Eunmi never shares her food. “Then, I’d like to get the salted caramel with bits of brownies on top. What about you, Sehun?”

Sehun shakes her head, declining the offer. “I’m just going to treat the both of you and have my pack of chips rather than getting diagnosed with diabetes.” You frown at him because in your very humble opinion, chips are as unhealthy as ice creams are with the amount of MSG and salt goes into each packet.

Sehun suddenly gives a loud cry, in courtesy of Eunmi’s very painful pinch which cause several heads to turn to you, wondering who the hell just shrieked in pain. You give a look to Sehun that says serve you right before making your way to one of the tables.

The three of you continue with your conversations, totally engrossed with the chat. Eunmi and Sehun both fill in with whatever happened during the PE session after you have fainted. According to them, the game stopped and we’ll be resumed next week, because the two star-players of the team, Chanyeol and Sehun dashed out of the court to bring you to the infirmary the moment you out from the hit.

You look at Sehun in shock with this piece of information you’ve received from Eunmi. Sehun shrugs “I can’t just leave you lying there helplessly and technically it was my fault too.” You’re in disbelief, completely astonished at the fact that they are willing to halt a game, not to forget the one they were leading to, just to take care of you. A smile creeps onto your lips, feeling blessed to have these amazing people people in your life. You thank Sehun sincerely as the bell rings at the background and he shakes his head saying that his action was something small.

“Damn, his visuals.” Eunmi gasps softly, in awe and daze, ogling at the boy that just walk in. Sehun and you swerve into the direction of the boy and you also gasp slowly; it was Junmyeon. This action doesn’t go unnoticed by Sehun as his examine your face that has changed because you know who the boy is.

 

So, mind telling me why you were so awestruck in that ice cream shop?” Sehun suddenly asks. The both of you are walking alone to the direction of your homes, after leaving Eunmi. You turned to Sehun who has cocked his eyebrows upwards, ready to interrogate you. There is some sort of tension between the two of you and you cannot comprehend why. It is as if your boyfriend has caught you talking to other boys secretly behind his back, but it isn’t the case for you and Sehun. You two are just best friends, remember?

Having no choice, you grin sheepishly at Sehun and start telling him your first encounter with Junmyeon. You tell him everything from the moment you were bothered by a group of sleazy boys to the time when Junmyeon became your saviour. At the end of your little retelling, Sehun’s face was unreadable. His eyes are guarded and lacked of all emotions, leaving you confused.

Finally, after heaving a sigh he asked, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” His guarded eyes are now replaced with worry.

“Because, I knew that you’d be worried and you’d start blaming yourself when none of it is your fault.” You take his hand in yours and swing to the front and back, trying your best to lighten up the mood. This interaction between the two of you does leave people wondering whether the two of you really are just friends.

Sehun was about to retaliate but you took this time to hug him, and to block whatever fleeting thought he had about the situation the other day. In your opinion though, he was being far too protective. It’s nice to have over-protect friend-slash-brother around once in a while but it does get suffocating.

“I am worried, am even more now that I know he is from Midtown High.” He said jokingly, and you’re glad that he isn’t as uptight as he was before.

You rolled your eyes in good nature and questioned, “You still judge people based on which school they go to?” And when he nodded seriously (though you know he’s only fooling around like his jovial self), you can’t help but to laugh. “Oh, how lame Oh Sehun.”

The both of you didn’t realise that you have arrived in front of your houses. You bid him goodbye and before entering your house, you can hear Sehun shouts, “Don’t forget to call me tonight. Oh, and eff that Midtown boy!”

You gasp, “Ya Oh Sehun!” Sehun only laugh and you slam the door and stomp inside your house. Sehun watches you acting like a five-year-old before entering his household, only after seeing you entering yours.

 

 


 

A/N: Another update woohooo. Please tell me that this chapter isn't as bad as I think it is? I've been adding and removing stuff, editing this chapter but I don't know it just doesn't seem right to me?? My brain hates me but nonetheless I hope that you enjoy.

P.S. I'm sorry for leaving you on that awful cliffhanger >< I'll improve, I swear *take a big bow to apologise*