Chapter Two: The Unexpected Trip

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seven p.m., Los Angeles, California. Kim checks the time on her mobile phone as it illuminates in the dusk. The sun starts to sets kissing the horizon, looking magnificent over the city. The natural red orange rays reflect through the cirrus clouds above and the city lights starts to glow from below. She stood silently outside ‘The Asian Taste’ premises, one of her restaurants. Her restaurant specializes in different Asian cuisine. It is well-known for its sumptuous Thai and Chinese dishes. It’s their favorite spot which it is located on the roof top of the building. Its serene ambiance and scenic view attracts those who would like to relax and just hang-out at the deck just like themselves.

Carefully, she leans on the railings by the roof deck finishing a phone call from her sister. It is weekend, so it’s time for celebration. And besides it’s her birthday.

“Hey, birthday boy! What’s up?” Zee said patting Kim’s shoulder. She stood next to Kim by the stainless steel railings on the roof deck admiring the panoramic view of the city. Indeed, it magnificently shines out during the night.

“Hey,” Kim replied turning to face Zee. After a tiring day, she kept her gaze out into the vast ocean of lights below them. “Isn’t it beautiful?” she admired.

“Where is Dew?” Kim asked when she noticed Dr. Dew wasn’t there with Zee. “Isn’t she’s supposed to be coming in with you?”

“Yeah, but she got an emergency call. She’ll be here a bit late though.”

“Alright.” She nodded.

“Why are you always in deep thoughts, huh?” Zee sighed and followed the direction of Kim’s gaze. “Still thinking about her, aren’t you?” she took a sip from her glass of scotch.

“Of course not.” Kim defended.

“You still love her, dude.” Zee teased. She pointed her eyes then to Kim with her index and middle fingers. “I can see it in your eyes...”

“You’re a bluff. You know that,” Kim said as she throws a playful soft punch on Zee’ arms.

“No, I’m not. Just telling the truth, you .”

“Really,” Kim smirked. “You’re one hell of a crazy cousin.”

Perhaps her facial expressions and same sad eyes gave it all away. But the bitter truth is it always haunts her back from the past. Somehow, somewhere from the other side of the world someone is also thinking of her. But it was just a wishful thinking. It’s been years. Maybe, things have changed.

“Am I now?”

“You do and say some crazy stuff.”

“Like what?” Zee challenged.

“Oh, you forgot? Damn! Are you that old?” Kim taunted. Zee just laughs remembering their bet and Kim was up for the challenge. “You let me kissed some random girl at a bar when we’re younger. I’m not that totally drank that time. And then, I got slapped twice because of you. And you just laugh your out.” Kim positioned in her stance ready to throw another punch on Zee.

“Okay, I remember. But will you just stop punching my arm?”

“You do now, grandma?” Kim throws another soft punch on her arm.

“Yes, she was a . She didn’t know that she just kissed the most handsome birthday boy ever. You were up for the challenge, weren’t you?” Zee grins. They didn’t even notice Shone came in holding two bottles of beer.

“What’s up with you two?” He asked. “Here,” handing Kim one of the bottles. Immediately, both of them stopped from their friendly bantering and turned to face Shone. “Happy birthday,”

“Thanks.”

“Haven’t you heard or read the news lately? It’s all over the social media…” Shone intruded the conversation. “Look, I came across this web site and found this article about her.”

“Shone, I warned you. You’re such a nosy li’l .” Zee eyed him deadly.

“No worries, man.”

He hands Kim his bottle of ice cold bud and showed them his phone. It wasn’t a secret to Kim’s inner circle of friends about her past. About who Aom is in her life. They’ve been very understanding and supportive of her about her struggles. It wasn’t easy to just forget and move on. It was easier said than done.

“Yeah, I’ve read that, too.” Zee deadpanned.

“Happy birthday, dude!” Nan greeted and gave Zee another glass of scotch.

“Thanks,”

“Dude, may I say, it’s been years… six years to be exact...six damn years,” Nan butted in. Zee gave Kim the I-told-you-so look. Conan or Nan to her closest friends is one of Kim’s closest friends. She leaned her arms against the railings as they were enjoying the view overlooking the city of lights.

“Whoa, you’ve been hiding in the shadows and celibate for six damn years?”

“Why not try to move on. You’ll never go anywhere with just the thoughts of her. Find yourself some nice fair lady. She already belongs to HIM” Nan stated as a matter-of-factly.

“Hey! Look who’s talking here, Mr. Lover boy, Nan.” Shone mocked.

“Oh, yeah,” Nan raised a brow.

“Yeah, you – Maybe it’s time for you too to find your fair lady, too, !” Shone reacted fast with smirk.

“Maybe you, you’ve been single since birth. And maybe, you haven’t been laid, like in ages.” Nan taunted. “Who between us has a fair lady, come on?” she challenged Shone.

“Who says I haven’t been laid? I got this right here,” Shone scooped proudly at his lower part.

“Eww, you’re disgusting…” Nan spatted. “You’ll meet her later, but don’t drool,” Nan added annoyingly and pointing her finger on his chest.

“Nah! Stop it you two…” Kim yelped. Her ears got tired of listening to their friendly bantering every now and then. “I’m over it. We have nothing romantic existed between us. It’s just one sided love affair.” Kim sighed heavily.

She could not believe herself still loving one and the same woman all these years. She kept denying herself all these years. She has everything a woman dream off for his guy. She got the looks, money and talent. She’s a total package. They practically throw themselves at her, yet no one seems to come close enough to what she wants.

“Really- I don’t think so, dude. We can see it. We’re not that blind.” Zee said. Unconvinced.  

“Kim, what if she feels the same for you?” Shone popped out.

“Huh – What do you mean by that? That’s way too farfetched,” Kim look startled. Lost.

“She may have some reasons, you know.” Nan shrugs.

“That she may just have ignored it because she’s too scared to face her truth. So, she just said that she’s straight… you know those kind of issues? But remember guys, pasta is straight until it gets wet.”

“Look, that time you are both raising stars and it may greatly affect your careers…you know, she just has to deny it, something like that,” Zee added quickly. “So, she chooses her career over the matters of the heart…and so are you.”

“Maybe,” Kim sighed. She doesn’t want to get her hopes high.

“We know.”

“You knew?” asked Kim surprised.

“Who knew what?” says Zee teasing.

“WHAT?” Kim got lost in their conversation.

“What what?” Zee repeated.

“You’re confusing me,” Kim said, annoyed. The three just laugh at her being annoyed.

 “I’m just kidding you, man.” Zee teased pulling Kim around her neck. Then, Zee ruffled her hair, once. Twice.

“Not the hair, dude. I told you million times already.” Kim says annoyed raking her fingers through her hair, fixing a few strands of hair in place. She adjusted her eyeglasses.

“Look, it’s just our opinions why she chooses not to be with you. It hurts you today but maybe someday she’ll realize it and pack that courage to find you…” Shone said reassuring Kim but not getting her hopes too high. It’s been ages since the last time they’ve done serious talks about love life before. All they do talked is about business and projects most of the time.

“I didn’t know how I became friends with y’all, bags.” Kim says mockingly. She rolled her eyes.

“…Because we sync. And we’re all the same crazy es.”

“Thank you for reminding me how we are.” She grinned. She never doubted their loyalty and their friendship is worth more than money can buy, even when they annoy her from time to time.

Kim, Zee –her cousin, Nan, Shone, Mario and Fern were friends since college days, took the same course and founded their own design and build company. Ever since Kim moves out from the limelight to take another path, she pursued her life-long dream to be an Architect. It was a great opportunity and her window to success to migrate to the US but her heart never forgets her one true love-Aom Sushar.

Indeed, all through these years, her anguish and emotional affliction pushed Kimhan to become successful in her new chosen path. She established her name on pedestal. Build her name with stone. Her being a modern minimalist architect attracts a lot of big Hollywood names became their clients. From villas to mansions and skyscrapers became their forte. Their company became well-known in the field of modern architecture, building design and interiors. She worked her hard enough to forget her longing and missing for her family and her muse. Unfortunately, she lost her parents a few years ago in a fire accident. To forget her misery, she spent her days and nights designing and building the so-called impossible dream. And just to keep herself occupied.

 

“The view here at night is one of a kind. Isn’t?” Kim says turning to face the deck again. “...breath-taking indeed” she continued changing the topic and to get away from the hot seat. Then, there was a dead silence among them. No one dared to talk about the topic. They all focus themselves on the view in front of them in awe.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, somebody yelled from their backs that snapped out the silence among them. They all turned into the booming voice’s direction-Mario. He was with his longtime girlfriend since their college days, Fern, an interior designer and a model. They arrived with another fine young lady much younger than Fern in tow at the back. Then another woman finely dressed in red came in last. Attentively, Zee caught a sight of her and flashed a toothy smile from ear to ear.

“I think, I’m in heaven,” Nan blurted out open-mouthed.

“Hey guys! What’s up with Nan?” says Mario walking up looking at Nan.

“Love-struck with her,” Zee says pointing her gaze to the lady

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter