Chapter 2

The Valentine's Killer

“So why is the idiot coming with us, sir?” Hwasa asked.

Kangta looked up from his reading, “Jonghyun is on leave, you know that.”

“Yes, but we don’t need an extra body to lug around.”

“Feeling very unwanted here,” Jackson said while putting a hand over his heart with a pitiful expression on his face.

Hwasa rolled her eyes, put on her headphones and pulled her eyemask down.

“Why does she dislike you so much?” Woohyun timidly asked Jackson.

“Well, I used to beat her at everything so she’s jealous,” Jackson said teasingly.

PO said coolly, “Jackson messed up one of Hwasa’s simulation cases.”

“That makes sense, she is usually pretty cool till you step into her work,” Myungsoo said with a nod of his head.

“That’s not what happened!” Jackson said and pouted as if he had been misunderstood.

Kangta put down his papers, “You should all get some rest. When we touchdown, I want to get started. We’re finishing this case as quickly as possible. The press around this case is just ridiculous.”

With that, silence reigned the cabin.

“This is all the evidence that we have,” a police officer indicated.

“Thank you, this room is perfect. We’ll set up here,” Kangta instructed.

Everyone got to work to get the room sorted.

Once everything was in place, the agents sat down as the head of the police station went to the front to speak to them.

“First of all, thank you for your assistance with this case. So, the victims of this case all appeared to have committed suicide. No notes were found though, although pills were missing and things were set up to look like suicide, upon autopsy none of the supposed methods of suicide were the cause of death. It also seems unlikely that there would be so many suicides in such a short amount of time. Other than that, the common thing is the rose petal trail from the door to the bedroom.”

Yugyeom raised his hand, “How did the victims die?”

The head of the police station looked down then up, “We’re not sure what it is exactly, but it appears to be some kind of inhaled substance that enters the blood and kills the victims. There’s not enough of it to identify the content.”

 “No links between the victims?” Jackson asked seriously.

“Not that we can find,” another police officer answered.

Kangta stood up, “We’ll it seems like we have our work cut out for us. Let’s move out.”

“Miss Kim was under my care, she had recently been diagnosed with cancer, it was quite serious. She didn’t seem very keen on the idea of chemotherapy or radiotherapy, which would be necessary before the surgery,” the intern informed Woohyun and Myungsoo.

“Do you think that there is a possibility that she committed suicide?” Woohyun.

The intern scrunched his eyebrows in thought, “There is always that possibility but when I saw her, I screened for depression and suicide risk but I didn’t get anything really. And from personal experience, the patients don’t necessarily want to die, they just want to go peacefully. Obviously,  we don’t condone assisted suicide or euthanasia but it is something to consider especially with what some of our patients are diagnosed with.”

Another doctor came by, “Dr. Yoon! Sorry to disturb you all,” he said to the agents before continuing, “Do you mind looking over the new drug regime and the doses for some of the active ingredients?”

“Sure,” Dr Yoon replied with a quick nod before turning to the agents and saying, “I have done extensive research into pharmacology before finishing my medical degree.”

The two agents nodded in understanding, and then they asked a few more questions about Miss Kim.

“Thank you so much Dr. Yoon for all your help,” Myungsoo said.

As the doctor left, Woohyun said, “Did you find that a tad strange? ‘Go peacefully’, isn’t an unusual thing to say but it’s the way he said it.”