Day 2 of 21

21 Days

“Let’s go to the zoo today,” Seulgi pounced on the sleeping Joohyun who grunted in response. 

“Why are you so energetic in the morning?” 

“Why are you so lazy in the morning?” Joohyun giggled when Seulgi’s fingers danced across her waist. When she made no other attempts to get out of bed, Seulgi mercilessly unleashed kisses on exposed skin, tickling the elder awake.

“I don't like animals," Joohyun begun, clenching tightly to her girlfriend's cheeks to stop her from teasing her. 

"But Joohyun," Seulgi whined with a cute pout that made Joohyun melt, almost giving in immediately, "I really want to see the animals today. The tiger gave birth to a baby cub."

Seulgi excitedly snatched her phone from the vanity table and pressed the phone to Joohyun's squinting eyes. Joohyun crinkled her nose at the images that Seulgi found adorable- animals are not her favorite creation in the world despite Seulgi looking like a bear. 

"No. I don't like animals," Joohyun was firm in her statement, "But maybe we could go to the mall instead."

"Okay," Seulgi's shoulders slumped, but her face lit with a bright smile as she laced her fingers with Joohyun, 'I'll go wherever you go."

 

Day 2:

 

Joohyun wakes up to the sound of her alarm believing it was all a dream. The ache in her limbs and the cold to her left of the bed had Joohyun missing Seulgi with a fervor. She fumbles with her phone, finger hovering over Seulgi’s contact and the loud ringing made Joohyun’s heart thumps erratically against her chest. 

“H-hello?” Joohyun bit back a gasp at Seulgi’s voice. 

“Unnie? Are you there?” Sinking her teeth into her lower lip to restrain her falling tears, Joohyun felt herself relishing in Seulgi’s voice. There was a wave of emotions that wash over Joohyun. She hates how unfair it is that Seulgi sounds perfectly fine while Joohyun is left to pick up her broken heart. A strangled cry escapes her bitten lips. 

“I’m sorry, Joohyun.” She didn’t know what to say, her heart aching to reach out to Seulgi. Joohyun wants to make everything right; she believes she can make everything right again. 

“Tell me what I did wrong, Seul,” Joohyun begs, “I’ll change, I promise.” 

“There is nothing wrong with you, Hyun.”

“Then you wouldn’t leave me like that!” 

“I told you...I just don’t love you the same way anymore.” Seulgi sighs and Joohyun whimpers into her palms. 

“I don’t know what else to say,” Seulgi whispers, the phone crackles, and Joohyun recognized the creaking from Seulgi’s cabinet in the background. 

“I don’t want to hurt you more,” Joohyun barely muffles a wrenching sob that broke past her defense.

“I think we should stop contacting each other.” 

 

Sooyoung knocks on Joohyun’s door at half-past eleven, enveloping the haggled brunette in her arms immediately. Joohyun had another breakdown in Sooyoung’s arms- her words a jumble of misery, questions, and reproach. Her best friend holds her warmly in her embrace, sharing shed tears together until Joohyun picks herself up again to fight another day. 

Sooyoung chose not to say much, watching trebles of aftermath wrecks the petite frame- struggling to accept the fact that Seulgi is never coming back. 

Sooyoung understands that the stages of breakup come in a cycle- denial, misery, anger, acceptance and then, denial, misery, anger, acceptance- so on and forth, until a day when Joohyun finds peace with the situation and learns to love herself as much as she had loved Seulgi. She lets Joohyun takes her time, believing that her usually strong-willed best friend will grit her teeth through and emerge stronger. 

Sooyoung left the elder to take time washing up when the tremors stop, offering to get her a cup of her favorite hot chocolate that she goes a day without. The taller brunette ensures that Joohyun is fine before rushing out of the door, promising herself that she would do anything to watch a genuine smile lit up on her friend’s face again. 

“Good afternoon! Welcome to Cafe Velvet!” Sooyoung acknowledges the enthusiastic greeting from the purpled-hair barista behind the counter. She squints at the menu in the distance, amused at the smile that widens on barista’s face at every step she takes. Sooyoung wonders if her face would split from having such a huge grin on rosy cheeks. 

“A cappuccino and a hot chocolate, please,” Sooyoung swore she saw a flash of hostility on the pretty features. 

“Having here or to go?”

“To go, please. What pastries do you recommend?” The barista fluently introduces a few of the store’s top sellers. She selects a bag full, paid for them and waits for her drink.

“Miss?” The barista calls, holding a marker in the air, “Your name?”

“Joy,” Sooyoung smiles. 

“I’m guessing the cappuccino is yours and the hot chocolate is for Miss Irene?” 

“You know Joohyun?” 

“Is Joohyun and Miss Irene the same person? Then I guess I do,” the barista chuckles. She bustles around to fulfill the order and delivers the items personally to Sooyoung. 

“Miss Irene is the only person who gets hot chocolate around here,” the barista explains at Sooyoung’s unnerving gaze, “So I took a wild guess. I was wondering why I didn’t see her this morning.”

Sooyoung drops her defense. 

“I was hoping you weren’t Miss Seulgi,” the barista jokes, “If not I would have drugged your drink.” 

Sooyoung puts the two and two together. 

“I’m guessing my disheveled friend spent her day here yesterday mopping around,” Sooyoung laughs softly, “Thank you and I’m grateful that you were looking out for her.” 

“I recognize heartbreak anywhere,” the barista sounded sentimental for a second before her usual cheeriness replaces it, “I’m glad you’re here for her now!”

“Thank you, Miss-“ Sooyoung steals a glance at her name tag, “-Wendy. Guess you’ll be seeing me around these days more frequently.”

“It’s my pleasure, Miss Joy,” Wendy holds the door open for Sooyoung, waving her goodbye. Sooyoung only smiles at the chivalry, her heart warms that humanity still reigns in the world. 

Joohyun was fast asleep on the couch when Sooyoung returns. The younger tears up at the image of the vulnerable brunette in slumber. She is accustomed to watching Joohyun’s petite back tirelessly carry burdens; shielding her from the evil of the world. In six years of their friendship, Sooyoung has been through all kinds of ups and downs with Joohyun but never once had she seen the consequences of Joohyun’s universe shattering.

The younger feels like her own world is crumbling along with every choked breath Joohyun heaves and tears that flow down her cheeks. She strands of stray hair away from swollen eyes, pulls Joohyun’s favorite purple blanket over her and picks up torn pieces of Seulgi. Joohyun had torn some of their photographs- promises of tomorrow in shards like Joohyun’s hopes and love. Sooyoung lets Joohyun sleep and clears traces of orange in the midst of Joohyun’s signature lavender and vanilla.

Joohyun jolts awake at six in the evening with Seulgi's name hanging heavily on her lips. Joohyun is disoriented and Sooyoung heard her muffled sobs when she excuses herself to wash up. Sooyoung pretends she didn't notice the fresh redness on her nose and the bloodshot eyes, gently offering her shoulder for her best friend to lean on instead. Joohyun coughs with a parched throat, gratefully accepting the cup of chocolate that Sooyoung has warmed on the stove. Sooyoung takes a sip of her own mocha and lets Joohyun snuggled into her shoulder with a sigh.

“Unnie, Miss Wendy sends her regards.”

“Wendy? The barista?” Joohyun’s voice was scratchy and laced with exhaustion.

“Yep,” Sooyoung cracks a smile, “I like her purple hair.”

Joohyun managed a light chuckle at Sooyoung’s silliness.

“I got some pastries too,” Sooyoung lifted the bag and caught a slip of napkin fastened to the pastries in the bag. Joohyun cracks a small smile, keeping the napkin with the one she received the day before.

Memories are snippets of happy days. Let them push you forward to better days. 

Joohyun catches Sooyoung gazing at her with unspoken concern from the corner of her eyes. Her head is clearer after the nap and comfort of the sweet beverage, praying that she could build up herself so those around her wouldn't worry for her that much.