Chapter 05

Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

double update!

 

~*~

Donghae walked into Miracle with the dogs in tow. He said a quick hello to the hostesses, waiters, and waitresses that were working the lunch shift. Hurrying to the back of the restaurant, Donghae let Ari, Teunshiri, and Bada loose in his and Hyukjae’s office. They quickly scurried to their kennels.

There were two desks on opposite sides of the room, each with a computer and a telephone. Folders were stacked on both desks: orders and things that needed to be approved by both him and Hyukjae. He checked the messages on the answering machine before heading to the kitchen. Sungmin was there.

He peeked inside the hole of the swinging door. Sungmin, talking to one of the apprentice chefs, was wearing his signature chef’s outfit. His shoes were pink, his hat was pink, his shirt was pink—everything was pink. His outfit matched his blonde hair that he had just gotten colored. Donghae gently pushed open the kitchen door and walked in. He put on a bright smile.

“Sungmin ah.”

“You!” Sungmin stomped over to Donghae and jabbed his finger into Donghae’s chest. “You were supposed to give the dogs a quick walk and come straight here. We need you. Hyukjae isn’t here yet and you know we can’t run without one of you here.” Sungmin poked Donghae once more. “What do you have to say for yourself?”

“Ahh stop poking me!” Donghae threw up his hands. “I said I was sorry. I lost control of the dogs’ leashes. A girl found them and I ended up talking to her longer than I expected.” Yuhee’s eyes appeared in Donghae’s mind. How he wished she hadn’t been wearing a cap. He had a feeling she was a beautiful girl.

Sungmin snapped his fingers in front of Donghae’s face to bringing him back to reality. “So your ‘being late’ is more because of a girl?!”

“No! I wasn’t careful when walking the dogs. It’s my fault for losing their leashes.”

Sungmin huffed. “Next time, don’t lose control of their leashes.”

The door to the kitchen opened, revealing a guy also in a chef’s outfit. But unlike Sungmin’s outfit, his was all white.

“Ryeowook,” Donghae called to the younger chef.

“Oh, Donghae hyung, you’re here.” Ryeowook squeezed himself in between Sungmin and Donghae. He had felt some tension as soon as he walked into the kitchen.

“Hyukjae hyung called just now. He said he’d be here soon.”

“Okay.” Donghae wondered where his third business partner was.

“Sungmin hyung, the strawberry cakes are done,” Ryeowook pointed at the back of the kitchen where the desserts were being made. “All we need to finish are the chocolate mousse.”

“When you’re done, tell me.” Sungmin patted Ryeowook’s head, gave Donghae a glare, and walked away.

Donghae let out a relieved breath. Sungmin hadn’t scolded him as harshly as he thought he would.

“Hyung, what happened?” Ryeowook asked.

“I lost control of Bada, Ari, and Teunshiri’s leashes.”

Ryeowook’s eyes widened. Teunshiri was his dog and he instantly became worried.

Seeing the look on Ryeowook’s face Donghae quickly explained that he had found them.

“Oh good,” Ryeowook said. “Where did you find them?”

“At the park. They had gone up to a girl sitting on a bench. She was petting them when I found them.”

“Thank goodness.”

“Yes I know.” Donghae smiled to himself, thinking about the girl. Kim Yuhee, I wonder what you’re doing right now.Even though he had only spent a few moments with her, she had piqued his interest. She was a mystery under that hat.

Ryeowook took notice of Donghae’s smile. He was about to ask his hyung what he was smiling about when the kitchen door opened again.

Donghae’s eyes lit up when he saw who it was. “Hyukjae, you’re finally here.”

“Sorry I’m late.” Hyukjae took off his sunglasses, revealing a pair of twinkling, dark eyes. He fixed his chestnut, brown hair, using a hanging pot out as a mirror.

“Yah, stop fixing your hair. You look fine.” Donghae took in his friend’s outfit of a black dress shirt and gray slacks.

“I know I do, but you need to remember to dress more appropriately.”

Donghae looked down at his outfit of a sweatshirt and jeans. “I’m going to change.”

“Good. So what’s up?”

“Donghae hyung lost control of Teunshiri Bada and Ari’s leashes while walking them and he almost lost them but he then found them at the park with a girl,” Ryeowook said without taking a breath.

Hyukjae chucked. “You must’ve gotten a scolding from Sungmin then.”

“Yes,” Donghae mumbled.

An apprentice chef came from the back of the kitchen and told Ryeowook that the chocolate mousse was done. Ryeowook nodded and followed the apprentice to the back of the kitchen.

Hyukjae threw around Donghae’s shoulders. “We were both late today. Shall we get to work now Manager Lee?”

Donghae laughed at the use of his title. “Yes we should, Manager Lee.”

The two walked to their office where many forms and orders needed to be filled and approved, and calls needed to be made.

Hyukaje’s parents owned Miracle. Hyukjae had worked there for as long he could remember. As a little boy, his parents would take him to work with them. As he got older, he was permitted to do small jobs, little things like delivering to the nearby apartments and restaurants.

He had been friends with Sungmin, Donghae, and Ryeowook since elementary school. Ryeowook was a year younger than Hyukjae, Donghae, and Sungmin but that never bothered them.

Sungmin, Donghae, and Ryeowook would often go with Hyukjae after school to Miracle. They hung out there and sometimes helped. Sungmin and Ryeowook could often be found in the kitchen talking to the chefs. It was there that they found a p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter