Chapter 03

Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

words to know:

Huwon - rear garden

Cheong Wa Dae - Blue House

 

~*~

 

Yujin had thought of a million different ways to leave the palace. But every scheme seemed to have a hitch and she needed her plan to be perfect. She couldn’t just walk out of the palace gates. Whenever she went outside the gates, Yoochun and Sora were with her. She wanted to leave quietly without being noticed.

She felt a small amount of guilt for wanting to be away from her family and friends. They were the people she loved most in the world. Her parents gave her unconditional love and support. Taehee was always there to lend an ear and give her advice. Junsu was the best older brother that she could ever ask for. Inhwan, with his infectious smile, never ceased to bring joy into her day. Hana and Aiko were amazing best friends. Yoochun and Sora were always there, silently watching and protecting. They loved Yujin as more than just a princess, but as a friend.

One week had passed since her fainting; Yujin was in her sitting room, playing with her maltese, Haneul. She sat on her small, peach love seat. A ball rolled from her fingers along the shiny hardwood floor.

Haneul chased after it and caught it with . The dog promptly brought it back to her owner. She placed the ball at Yujin’s feet and looked up at her owner with questioning eyes. It was like she knew what Yujin was thinking.

Yujin grabbed the ball. “Don’t look at me like that,” she said to Haneul. She threw the ball and Haneul ran after it. Her tail wagged happily as she brought it back to Yujin.

Yujin had always regarded her room as a place of solace, but now it didn’t seem like enough. She looked at the picture frames that lined the walls and her desk. They were of different colors and shapes for she liked unique things. Each held a special moment in her life inside the palace walls. She wanted to add pictures of life outside the palace.

A knock sounded from her door. “Yujin ah,” Junsu called.

Yujin hadn’t expected her brother to visit her. She knew he had a very busy schedule that day. She got up from the couch and smoothed the wrinkles in her skirt. “Come in, oppa.”

Junsu walked in with his left arm behind his back. His tie was askew and his usually spiked, light brown hair was slightly disheveled.

Haneul dropped the ball in and bounded over to Junsu. Her tagged wagged as Junsu bent down to pet her.

“Hi Hanuel.” Junsu scratched her ears. He looked up at Yujin who was smiling at the two. Haneul had been a gift from Junsu for her eighteenth birthday.

Yujin had immediately noticed that Junsu had something in his hand. “Oppa, what are you hiding behind your back?”

“I’m not hiding anything,” Junsu said while trying not to smile. He hardly had time to spend with his siblings so when he got the chance he made sure to visit Taehee, Yujin, and Inhwan. Sometimes he brought a small gift with him.

Yujin walked behind Junsu to grab his arm, but he dodged her. She tried to grab his arm again but he quickly moved out of her reach.

Yujin pouted and stood in front of Junsu. “Oppa, I know you have something for me.”

“You know me too well.” Junsu removed his left hand from behind his back and held his hand in front of Yujin’s face. He opened the palm of his hand. A thin silver chain with a tiny key pendant dangled from his fingers.

“W-why?” Yujin asked. It was a small, but simple and sweet gift.

“Because I thought you could use a little present after what happened last week. Turn around and lift your hair up.”

Yujin obeyed and Junsu placed the necklace around her neck. When he was done, she whirled around and threw her arms around him. “Thank you, oppa.”

Junsu squeezed Yujin tightly. “You’re welcome.” He let go of her and looked down at her delighted face.

Yujin motioned for them to sit down on the love seat. “I thought you were going to be busy all day in meetings with the Japanese ambassador.”

Junsu ran his hands through his hair. He had done that a lot during the past day. The meetings had gone fairly well, but they had been stressful.

“We decided to end early.”

“I see.”

Yujin played with key pendant. She suddenly wondered why Junsu had given her a necklace with a key pendant. It was different.

“Oppa, why did you give me a necklace with a key pendant?”

Junsu smirked. He had known Yujin would ask about that. She had always been so keen and observant.

“A key to open the gates of the palace, so you can have the freedom you desire so much. I know you want to get out of this place.”

Yujin’s eyes widened. How does he know?

Junsu tilted his head as he studied Yujin. His heart ached thinking about how she felt. There were so many things he wanted to tell her but had decided to keep to himself. He didn’t tell her that Aiko had come to him the day after she had fainted. That she had told him about Yujin feeling dizzy before going out to the patio. He didn’t tell her that Inhwan had told him about her little ramble right before she sang him a lullaby. He didn’t tell her that their parents were very concerned and had talked about sending her to the summer palace for some rest and relaxation. Everyone was worried about her.

“I’m right aren’t I?”

Yujin opened , but she hesitated. Stating the truth, could prevent her from leaving. But Junsu had always understood her and would never betray her confidence. She took a deep breath.

“Yes.” Yujin tried not to meet Junsu’s gaze.

“Yujin, look at me.” Junsu placed his hand underneath her chin.

She tilted her head up. Junsu’s warm brown eyes stared into hers.

“Oppa, I need to leave the palace for a little while. I need some time to myself.”

Junsu let go of her chin and scooted closer to her. “Do you really want to leave?” he asked softly.

Yujin nodded her head. “Oppa.” She grabbed Junsu’s hand and squeezed it. “Oppa, please help me,” she begged.

Junsu would do anything for his siblings. But he didn’t think helping his baby sister leave their home was such a good idea.

“Yujin,” he said uneasily. “I don’t know.”

“Oppa, please. I know you snuck out of the palace a few times. You must know a way that I can get out.”

“But I just snuck out for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter