Don't Let Me Go

Book IV: Hold Me

It was the longest walk home Sungjae had ever taken, but it gave him a lot of time to think. He had no tears left from pouring it all out to his hyungs. After what he went through earlier, a strong urge for soju crept up to him. No! You're through with that, pabo! he argued with himself. He let out a laugh, thinking how crazy he must look for talking to himself. She'd be the first to point out my changing facial expressions. She knew exactly when I was doing this. But no one's here now, she's not here. He heaved a sigh when reality hit him. Looking down to the ground, Sungjae continued his walk back home.

------

The dorm was dark and quiet. They must be asleep. Good! I don't want to break it to them right now, he thought to himself. After removing his jacket, Sungjae flopped himself on the couch. He stared into space, replaying the sight of Joy crying, asking him to leave. She's still beautiful as the day he first saw her pop out of that huge box. What I'd do just to touch her again and wipe her tears away. He heaved a sigh. It's too late for you buddy, he thought.

"Gwenchana?" he heard Eunkwang ask from the corridor. Sungjae sat up surprised. "Hyung! You're gonna give me a heart attack!"

"I didn't expect you to be home early. I didn't expect you to come home at all..." his hyung said.

He couldn't speak. He didn't know how to begin explaining what had just happened. A door creaked open. "Oh, Sungjae-ah?" Changsub called, walking to the couch. He slapped Sungjae's thigh telling him to scoot over. The silence in the room was enough for Changsub to figure out their maknae was unsuccessful in getting her back. All he could do was pat his shoulder.

Sungjae looked up to his hyungs. Eunkwang had just put his phone in his pocket when out came Hyunsik. "Hyung you didn't have wake everyone up," Sungjae said almost whispering. The last thing he wanted was for them to pity him.

"I wasn't sleeping anyway," Hyunsik said. He walked over to the kitchen to brew coffee. "We told you we'd be here, right?" Eunkwang told Sungjae. He was touched, but still couldn't get rid of the pain in his chest.

"Yah! He doesn't need the drama now hyung," Changsub called out. "Look who's talking. Sungjae-ah, I caught your hyung over here teary-eyed when you left." Eunkwang said laughing. "Ani! There was dirt in my eye!" Changsub defensively said. "Oh? Is that why you hugged me and told me how proud you are of our maknae?" Hyunsik seconded from the kitchen. Everybody laughed. 

Just then, a knock was heard. Sungjae's laughter stopped abruptly. "Who could that be? It's late.." He walked to the door, opened it and was greeted by Minhyuk. "Minhyuk hyung?"

Sungjae turned to Eunkwang. "Hyung?! Wae?" he whined. Minhyuk laughed and hugged him. "I was nearby so it's fine."

Just as they settled in the living room, Hyunsik came in from the kitchen, handing out cups of coffee. "Thank you," Sungjae said looking at each of his hyungs. He felt comforted knowing they were there. "Look at you drinking coffee late at night. You're all grown up Sungjae-ah." Minhyuk said proudly. "Ani, he's still a baby to me," Eunkwang countered. And that triggered their conversation of reminiscence.

Halfway through their coffee, another knock came. Peniel arrived after seeing a movie with some friends. "You too?" Sungjae said at the door. "Huh? What do you mean?" a clueless Peniel said. "Nothing hyung. Kaja." Sungjae led him to the living room.

"Hey man!" Eunkwang called out. After greeting everyone, Peniel settled down on the carpet and reached over to the cup of coffee Hyunsik handed him. "What did I miss?" he asked. Sungjae brought him up to speed with the crazy stories and flashbacks. He was back to his animated self again, thanks to s. Another knock came. Right. Only one more was missing from this dorky bunch.

Still laughing from their stories of mishaps on stage, Sungjae turned the knob and opened the door. In a split second, he was silenced in surprise.

"Sooyoung-ah..." he whispered.