It's A Little Late

Book IV: Hold Me

She couldn't bear to see him walk away. Once he turned his heel to leave, she quickly turned the knob and went inside the dorm. To her surprise, all four of her members were sitting in the living room, staring at her. With a flip of her switch, she flashed them a huge smile.

"Oh hi! You're all here! Great! Who's hungry? I'm making kimchi fried rice!"

Wendy stood up and walked towards Joy. "Gwenchana?" she asked worriedly.

"Of course! Can you help me with this, unnie?" Joy handed Wendy the grocery bag in an attempt to segue her.

"She's lying," Yeri called out. "Yerim-ah! Shut it," scolded Seulgi. Joy ignored all this and went straight to the kitchen. After removing the groceries from the bag, Wendy approached Joy yet again. "Joy-ah...why did yo-" she began.

"Unnie, did you want scrambled eggs with this?" Joy asked, distracted. Wendy understood what Joy meant. She walked out the kitchen, giving up hope of getting through to her.

Joy never appreciated how their kitchen was designed, until today. She turned away from her members to concentrate on the ingredients on the kitchen counter. She heaved a sigh, as her tears went unnoticed because of her position. Oblivious to her crying, the girls continued with their movie marathon.

Rice, check. Kimchi, check...Damn it! Who am I kidding?! she thought. He showed up. He was here. He was really here! 

She went on to make her dish. Throughout it, her sniffs could be heard by the members. They observed her from the corner of their eyes, until she placed the last dish on the table. A frustrated Irene couldn't take it anymore. "Park Sooyoung, just go and take him back already!"

"Mwo?" Joy said, surprised. "Unnie, I couldn't. It's just going to be a vicious cycle. We're both busy, and we're going to end up hurting each-.." 

"Oh come on, Joy!" Irene cut her off, rolling her eyes. "Who are you kidding? Us? No, more like yourself!"

"Unnie, don't you think you're being a bit too harsh on Joy-unnie?" a concerned Yeri said.

"No, I'm just speaking the truth. We're idols, yeah. But we're human beings too! Being an idol shouldn't cloud our decision to make us happy. Do you hear me Sooyoung-ah?"

Joy kept her head down, tears welling up in her eyes again. "How, unnie? He's my happiness and I want so bad for him to feel the same way. But he looked genuinely happier in those fancams and pictures...without me."

"You don't know that. You can't make that decision for him. For the love of all that's holy, just freakin' talk to him and ask him!" Irene retorted. "Sooyoung-ah...don't make it complicated as it already is. He came for you..here! He told you he missed you. He told you he loves you. He left because you told him to. Tell me...where else can you find someone who loves you like he does?"

Just like that, Irene's words were her undoing. Joy cried her hardest at that moment. The members walked up to her and a group hig was formed. "Eottoke? It's too late now."

"No, it's not," Wendy encouraged. "Your heart knows what to do, Joy-ah."

Joy nodded, wiped her tears and stood up. "Gumawo yeoreobun." She went to the kitchen to pack something up. Within minutes she was ready to walk out the door, but she stopped in front of Irene. She gave her a hige hug and whispered, "I hope you're right, unnie." Joy felt her unnie her back. "Go get him, Joy-ah.."

With that, Joy exhaled before walking out the door. I'm on my way baby. Hang in there, she thought. And off she went to get her love back