the count ends at ten

one to ten

 

"She won't be too happy if she sees you like that. Get a hold of yourself, Saerom-ah."

"Everything will eventually be fine. You'll be okay."

Her brother's comforting words didn't help much. Everything is not okay. She's not okay. She's not okay. She's damn devastated. Her world fell apart once again. And her heart that was once brought back to whole, was shattered into a billion pieces. An impossible thing to bring back together.

Unless Hayoung's there to put it back again. Another impossible thing to happen.

Hayoung's scent filled the room. It was all her. The warmth the home was giving Saerom was definitely Hayoung's warmth. There's an enormous banana, and beside it were paper cranes of different colors.

She walked to the mirror on the wall. Her photos were inserted at the edges, and an envelope in one side. She glanced at the photos, and noticed the white envelope at the back. Her name was written at the corner. She opened it and an origami paper and a letter welcomed her.

 

Saerom-ah,

Busan friend. Ice queen. Rom. Romsae. Kromsae. My greatest love. My heart. Are you cringing already? Hahaha. Alright, I'll stop now. By the time you're reading this, or hearing, whichever happens, I think I'm gone already. But before you read this letter, I want to say I'm sorry. I did everything because I love you.

You might not remember the time we first met, but I do. I clearly do. And no, I know what you're thinking. It wasn't the time I first knocked on your door with food.

***

"But Hayoung unnie, where will you go?" Chaeyoung asked her drunk friend. Her head ached more than the girl with alcohol on her body.

"Somewhere! Somewhere faaaar from that !" I shouted at the top of my lungs. My body was too weak and drunk to even walk so Chaeyoung was carrying me on her back.

The next day, I packed my things amidst the hangover and severe headache I was feeling. In an hour or two, my girlfriend— ex-girlfriend would come back to our apartment. And seeing her was last on my list.

In my enormous bag were few clothes of my own, and the rest were canned beers.

I rode the subway station, going somewhere my gut feeling would lead me. And that's how I ended up in a suburban part of Seoul.

One. I only loved one person. I only loved once. Is that wrong?

I stood outside the small bar, looking through the small glass window. For thirty minutes, I watched how my girlfriend made out with someone I don't know, how they leant close to each other, whisper things I didn't want to hear. I let myself break for half an hour, continuously.

Two. Two years, I was being fooled and cheated on for two ing years!

"Since when?" I looked away as I asked. Too afraid of falling to the trap of my girlfriend's eyes once again, tears were b in my own pair.

"It's been two years." Sky looked down. And my heart dropped, the crash loud enough for me to hear. I could her myself breaking.

Three. I became homeless for three weeks. A drunkard on the street.

Home is somewhere my heart is. And as I walked away from what I considered home, pieces of my heart were nowhere to be found.

I found a bench beside the vending machine I took as my best friend since my beers ran out. I would sleep at the bench, holding cans of alcohols around me. I lived off of them, and a sober state was something I didn't want to have.

I was hurting like hell. Every night, images of Sky would pop in my mind. And I'd be too ashamed to cry. But with alcohol, nothing mattered. It's just me, my tears, my broken heart, and the beer I have in my hand.

Then a girl came, leaving a lunchbox in front of me.

"Eat up." And she rode her bike away.

Four. For four days, I received lunch boxes from a girl with a bicycle. And I didn't know that would change my life.

"I see you're not eating my foods. So here, I have stir-fried cabbages just for you." She presented it in front of me again. I kept my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep.

"I know you're awake, I saw you drinking earlier." She started poking my sides. Luckily, it wasn't a sensitive part. I slowly opened my eyes and looked at her.

I continued to stare. I wanted her to go away soon.

"You know, if you eat cabbages, you'd instantly become happy, lighthearted, you'd feel free from worries." She blabbered, which for me, were nonsense. "So eat them up, okay?" She patted my head.

When she bid goodbye, I tried to sleep again, but my stomach growled. I had no alcohol anymore, not even a cent to get a can of beer in the vending machine. The only thing left is an empty can that was with me from the first day.

My stomach growled again. And I glanced at the lunch box she gave me.

The next thing I knew, I was munching the cabbages and kimbaps. After, I left the lunch box on the same bench and looked around the place I've been for the past weeks. Alcohol was fully out of my system that time.

I took pictures around, sending some to Chaeyoung.

"Okay, beerbeer, let's take a photo, too." I talked to my can. When I took the shot, a girl ran behind me, capturing the moment in my photo.

I stared at the photograph for some time. Then I realized, she's the cabbage. Cabbage was pretty.

Five. I began to like Cabbage, but in a span of five hours, I was sure I love her.

After what Cabbage did to me, I decided to live decently. With the savings I had, I was able to occupy a house just around the neighborhood I was in. And as if it was fate, her house was just across. I was too shy to introduce myself, so I didn't.

But at times, I'd follow her to work. I was creeped at myself first for becoming like a stalker, but I didn't mind. I liked her patience and kind heart with the tourists. I learned that she liked kids, she was extra excited when there were kids at her work.

I watched her watch a kid run around the place. She wore a motherly smile on her face, and I melted at the sight.

The kid suddenly tripped in front of me, fortunately, I caught him. Cabbage ran to the kid, worried. When she thanked me with her sweet smile, I tried hard not make my excitement be obvious.

Before that day ended, she went to a tower. I was at the same floor as hers, staring at her stare at the night scenery of Seoul. When she started to talk on the phone, disappointment, sadness, and pain were evident. When she went to the photo booth, she didn't bother to smile for the camera, and didn't even bother to take her photo with her, so I took it. So when she went somewhere else, I decided purchase a bouquet of flowers and ran back home. I placed the flower on the table outside her house, and patiently waited for her by my window. All the efforts were paid off when I saw her smile.

The next night, she went to a bar wearing a heart costume. So I followed her using the banana costume I have. She drank and drank and drank, until we're the only people left in the bar. She invited me for drinks and I gladly accepted.

Six. I peed on my costume six times! I didn't know why I choose to have my lower part soaking, than to waste a second without Cabbage.

She always cried for someone named Gyuri. She was Gyuri this, Gyuri that. She even showed me photos of both of them. After a while we were together, she finally stopped crying.

She pulled me out, going to the photo booth, buying a fortune cookie, and the fountain. She had a bad luck with the cookie, so when we went to the fountain, she took a few coins and threw them to the water.

"I want happiness, I want real happiness. With my true love." She murmured repeatedly, until it became incoherent. We sat on one of the benches near the fountain, and she instantly dozed off on my shoulder. So I took her home myself, both of us in the banana and heart costume.

And that was the five hours I spent with her together.

Seven. Seventh day of following her, and I fell even deeper. Her pain became my pain, her smile became my joy.

She was having lunch alone at the park as I watch her from afar. I saw how concerned she was with her friend, that was said to be from Busan as well, and how the girl didn't have a sense of appreciation towards Cabbage's action.

When I looked at the time, I realized I'm late for work. So I went out the park first. And right outside was her friend, in front of another girl leaning on the car. The girl kissed her and her smile widened even more.

As I stare at the scene, flash of the night I spent with Cabbage came back. The photo she showed me of her and her girlfriend.

, this is her girlfriend. With her friend.

"Beer Garden, love. At 6 PM, okay? I'll see you." I heard one of them say, and I ran back in the park. I wrote the place and time on a piece of paper and asked an old lady to give it to Cabbage.

Guilt started building up inside me. But I couldn't let them cheat on her for a longer time. I couldn't bear to see Cabbage be in pain while they're enjoying themselves.

I know her heart would break. But I'd make sure she won't be alone.

So when the time came, I was with her.

I sat few tables away from her at the Beer Garden.

She stood up, and I looked at the direction she was going to. Her girlfriend. I ordered two glasses of beer. And when Cabbage walked away, I went to her girlfriend and poured all the cold liquid to her. Along that beer were my anger, guilt, and Cabbage's pain.

And when she was walking away, I was there. Across the road, I stood with a bear on my shoulder.

Then people started screaming, Cabbage was on the floor.

Eight. The five hours we had became eight weeks.

For four weeks, I contemplated whether I should introduce myself. So I just watched her through my window first.

Her brother came for two weeks, and I'm relieved she had someone with her. On mornings, her brother and her goes out her house for coffee. But after the guy went away, she stopped going out as well.

I bought recipe books and tried my best to learn how to make local dishes.

So I made up my mind and introduced myself. It was hard to talk to her calmly, as she was annoyed every time I knock.

What I did was the same with what she did to me when I was broken, homeless, and drunk. My patience didn't run out. I was even more determined to win her trust. I cooked and cooked and cooked until she was finally willing to eat and talk to me.

Her name's Saerom. And in the cold demeanor she wore after the incident, I know that deep inside her, there's still pureness and kindness hiding.

She became my tour guide and we went to places together.

"What happens next?" She asked one time at the garden.

"Hm?" I wrapped her around my arms, and surprisingly she didn't budge.

"If I wouldn't be able to see anymore, what happens next?"

"We'll continue to travel together, even if we go around the globe. And if your sight come back, we'll go back to places we went together." I said. She tightened her grip on my arm and we stayed with that position for long.

Nine. I had nine months left before I met you, and I spent the last ones with you.

Two months. That's all left in me. And I'm hoping it's still with you.

Ten. Ten times. I fell for you ten times, even more so. And in my next life, I'm sure it will be you, again.

***

Yes, Saerom-ah. I'm the drunk and homeless girl you helped. I'm the one you made happy after the cabbages you cooked. It's my life that was changed when I met you.

The flowers are from me. The banana was me. I'm the one who lead you to the Beer Garden that night, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry because everything went down for you after what I did. It was all because of me, I'm very sorry.

I'm sorry that I broke my promise. I shouldn't have crossed my heart when I know I'd leave you in the end. I lied when I said I'll be with you whatever happens. I have a condition wherein my heart is continuously growing larger, and sooner or later, it might burst. The doctor said I only have until my 30th birthday. It's two months months away, Saerom-ah. Two months is not forever, and two months was all I had left with you, I'm sorry.

But when I said you're pretty, it was true. When I said you take my breath away, it was true. When I said I'm willing to marry you, it was true. I haven't had the chance to tell you I love you. But when I say I do, it's true.

The song you wanted me to present to you, I didn't finish it, but the song... it's about you. Beside the mirror, the music box we listened to, it's there on the shelf. It's for you.

And here along the letter is a piece of paper. Only one left for the cranes to be of thousand count, fold that, and wish. That's the best thing I can present to you.

I love you, my heart.

Till we meet again,
Banana.

By the time the letter ended, Saerom's tears were overflowing.

I didn't tell you as well, Hayoung-ah, but I love you. I love you so much, banana. Your birthday is still a month away, we could've spent that together.

She folded the small paper into a crane, and placed it with the others. Wishing something she knew is too impossible to be granted. I want to see Hayoung, even for the last time.

She stayed there for awhile, playing the music box Hayoung left for her.

I should've stayed that night. Only if I knew it's the last time I'm going to see you, I should've had the courage to look at you, and not run away.

Why so soon, Hayoung? Why so soon? You became my happiness, my true love.

 

---

 

a/n: DONE!!!!! This was hard to write since it's from a movie. But I finished it! I hope you like it, aaaand comments are well-appreciated. ALSO, A QUESTION, should I write a one-shot sequel or? :/// (((because I don't like the ending too!!!)))