one

one to ten

 

The alarm went off as soon as I opened my eyes. "Must be a nice day today!"

I started my morning rituals, from preparing breakfast, making a set of paper cranes, to readying myself for work as my older brother talks on the phone.

"I need to book my flight as soon as possible, are you sure the wedding will be this year? Also, I'm filing a leave for work." My brother, living on another country, asked. It's been three years since we last met. It was my mom's wake. And in that three years, it's already a habit to talk at least two or three times a day. I won't deny, I'm like the family's little princess and has been emotionally dependent to my brother since both of our parents passed. And at this age, I'm still my brother's little girl.

"We still need to decide on that, oppa. Gyul has been really busy with work and I think she's packed this year. I don't know, really. Next year, or next, next year, maybe? We can save more money, too." I reasoned out.

"What? You're engaged for almost two years now, are you waiting for the ring to rot on your finger? Talk to Gyuri, Saerom-ah. You need to settle down soon, you're what... turning 30? Do you even want to have a family?" He nagged.

He has a point, though. I, too, honestly, wants to be wedded soon, but of course, there won't be a wedding if Gyuri doesn't approve. Actually, it's already two years since Gyuri proposed, but still no plans for the actual wedding. Why— that I don't know. The only thing I know for sure is, we will get married, make family, and grow old— together.

The idea sent tingling feelings to my spine. I always loved the idea of marriage, especially the idea of Gyuri. God, Gyuri is perfect. I can't ask for anything else (expect the wedding).

"Okay, oppa. I understand, I'll talk to her, okay? Stop overacting. And I need to go now, bye~"

"Fine, fine. Call me later. Take care, Saerom-ah!" And the line went off.

I went outside to be greeted by the little garden I made with beautiful flowers in a row, just a few steps from my bungalow house. It has been a tradition to water them and talk to them for a good five minutes every morning, for I believe that plants have feelings, just like us humans.

"Aigoo, you little beauties, why aren't you growing? Dreaming of becoming a bonsai, huh? Hmm, I'll see you guys later. Guard our home!"

I, then, proceeded to bike on the way to work. Appreciating the calmness of the neighborhood and the freshness of the wind. Living in a peaceful suburban part of Seoul was always my dream. I mean, nature is really beautiful, right?

***

I am Saerom, a tour guide of my own life. I live in Seoul, but originally from Busan. And of course, engaged to the love of my life, Jang Gyuri.

"This is the famous Namsan Tower wherein you can see the beautiful view of Soul of Asia, Seoul. Right now, if you look down, you can see how high we are with the transparent glass floor. Just like in Paris, there is a place here wherein you can put lovelocks. I will give you two hours to view this tower yourselves and then let's meet here again. Okay? Okay! Thank you. Enjoy!"

After two hours of enjoying the familiar tower myself, I went back to the meeting area to wait for the tourists I'm guiding. Two women came after, with a kid running around the area.

The kid tripped and almost fell on the floor face first, luckily, a woman caught her on the arm. The motherly side of me came out. I ran to the child, with the companions' tailing behind me.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked the kid, very concerned if he was hurt. When he nodded, I turned to the woman to say thanks, but she just smiled and walked away.

I saw the kid being scolded by his mom, my heart broke for a moment.

Seeing all the tourists I accompanied for the day waiting for me, I went to them and we proceeded to the entrance.

"Once again, I'm Saerom, your tour guide for today. I hope you enjoyed and come back again! Now, here is a little souvenir from me." I handed out paper cranes to each person, and explained, "they said, if you fold a thousand cranes, your wish will be granted. Again, thank you so much."

***

I looked out the night view of the city through the glass window of the tower. The nostalgic feeling running through my veins. How did we end up like this?

I tried to call her.

"Hey, Gyul, honey?" I said over the phone. It has been half an hour, and my girlfriend is still out of my sight. Today is really an important day. She didn't forget, did she?

"What? You forgot about our anniversary? Are you serious?" She did.

"Nevermind, I'm going home." And I turned the call off. I was pissed.

But then, a pair of hands covered my eyes. I did not have to guess, I know the texture and the smell by heart. The owner of the hands owns my heart.

"Happy anniversary, baby." My girlfriend whispered, her breathing sends tingles through my spine. Gyuri removed her hands, and I turned to look at her. Face to face. We just smiled at each other, until Gyuri knelt down, and my mind went blank.

"Babe, I love you so much. Will you marry me?" Gyuri's in front of me, with a ring. Is this for real? Someone pinch me. Oh my God!

I nodded right away. "Yes, yes, of course. I'll marry you. I love you, too." I cried happy tears. What a night.

We went to a nearby photo booth, doing cheesy poses. Having a fortune cookie, it said good luck will come my way. I couldn't ask for more. Gyuri is more than enough already.

But that was two years ago.

"Hey, Gyul. Are you busy?" I asked, even though I already know what she'd say.

"Oh, you are? It's just nothing. Okay." I tried to stop a sigh, as she might hear.

"I love you." And then the call died, without Gyuri saying those three words back.

I went to the photo booth again. I tried to smile, but I can't even force a fake one. I purchased one fortune cookie— bad luck. That night, I didn't cry, but I wasn't happy either.

***

I was greeted by a bouquet of flowers on the coffee table I set up outside my house.

There wasn't any note left, but I knew. I rushed to call my girlfriend again.

"Gyul? Yes, I just want to say thank you for the flowers."

"What do you mean it's not from you? I mean, who would give me this other than you, right?"

"Whatever. I know it's you. Thank you, love. I love you."

And that night, I slept with a smile on her face.

***

As the clock ticked noon, I was already in the park near the site I'm working at today. I sat on one of the benches, and started munching my homemade lunch.

A familiar figure caught my attention. It's Jisun! Although I'm not a very loud person, I shouted to get my friend's attention.

"Jisun-ah! Hey!" And when the she looked at me, I noticed the slump and sadness on her face. Concern filled my heart.

"You alright?" I showed her my lunchbox, revealing kimbap rolls and other foods. Some are her favorite that might cheer her up. "Wanna eat first?" Jisun shook her head no and smiled. No words were delivered, I found it strange. Jisun isn't like this.

"Jisun-ah, you can tell me anything. You know you're like my younger sister, right? And we have the same hometown. You can always count on me, okay?" Jisun just nodded. When I smiled, she walked away.

Something's wrong.

But I brushed the worry aside and focused on my meal. Jisun is strong, and if she needs me, she'd come.

I was busy cleaning up when suddenly, an old lady came to me and passed me a note.

"Beer Garden @ 6 PM", it read.

This might be it. I spent the next hours thinking about what might happen. I felt excited, Gyuri is full of surprises. What might be the surprise later, Idon't know. But it's Gyuri, so whatever it is, I'm sure I'll love it.

***

It's seven. 7PM. I already had my fourth glass of beer. There's still no trace of Gyuri. But she might still be at work so it's fine. Still feeling excited, I called my brother to share the news.

"Oppa, hey, hey. Shush first, okay? Listen to me. You might need to file a leave from your work. Gyuri just asked me to come at the local place now. She might ask me again to marry her. Anyway, I'm waiting for her now. I'll call and update you later, hm? Love you!" I did not wait for him to answer. I turned my phone off.

Ugh. Where are you, Gyul?

I scanned the area, hoping to catch a sight of Gyuri. She might be waiting at a different table.

And I did. She was at a different table.

She had her arms wrapped around someone. Jisun. Jisun's that someone.

Are they on a date? No, right?

Jisun looked up to Gyuri, they looked so happy. Gyuri's lips landed on Jisun's. And I lost it.

How could they?

I stood up, pulling out all the strength left in my body to walk. As soon as I'm in front of my girlfriend and friend's table, shock was evident on both faces, removing their bodies from the embrace.

I stared at the both of them, as they stared at me. I could hear nothing but my breaking heart.

Why? That's the only thing I could think of. Why Jisun? She's my friend. Why would Gyuri do this to me? We were in love!

I wanted to scream, to beat them up, to kill them, to kill myself.

But I won't.

They said, in this kind of situations, you need to count from one up to ten, and think. In that way, you'll not regret the choices you'll make, the words you'll say, and the actions you'll do.

I closed my eyes for a moment, and deeply, I breathed. And looked at Gyuri in the eyes. How could one still have that sparkling eyes after they're caught cheating? How can Gyuri still have this perfect face even after everything?

One. So, I wasn't the only one, huh? But why my friend? Out of all people!

Two. We're engaged for two years, already! How could you do this to me?

Three. I was still at the bar you're working at, at three in the morning. In an enormous heart costume. Looked stupid but I did not regret as that was how we met.

"What are you doing here alone?" You asked.

"Drinking." I said.

You chuckled, and I felt my heart jump. Cute.

"I know, but a pretty heart like you should be somewhere else with someone, right? Not drinking here, like, alone." And there, you caught the heart. My real heart, not just the costume that you caught too, when I almost fell down my chair.

Four. For four hours, I was there. And for four hours, you looked after me.

Five. We're on our fifth year now. In five years, I memorized every inch of you. That beautiful eyes, your soft lips, smooth skin. Everything.

Six. The night we met, I held my pee back six times. I did not know how I did that, the only thing I know is I don't want to lose a sight of you for even a second.

Seven. After my seventh shot of alcohol, you pulled me outside. If earlier, I was full of sobs, by the time we were together, only laughs and the sound of my heartbeat are the only sounds I could make.

Eight. You courted me for eight months. Your determination, passion, and love did not change even after I said yes.

Nine. We planned to have nine kids, right? We planned everything. Our future, our family, us.

"How many kids would you want?" You asked.

"Nine? Will it be okay for you? Let's make the next Girls' Generation!" You were shocked, I laughed at your reaction. "You're gonna carry them."

"As much as I hate the idea, if that's what you want, then let's have it!" I fell for you again.

Ten. You're a perfect ten for me, Gyul. Maybe even more. Your imperfections are what I loved most. I'd die for you, Gyul. That's how much I love you.

But not anymore.

"Let's end this." I said calmly. I looked at Jisun, whose head is bowed down. I wanted her to meet my eyes, but I know she won't. I heaved a sigh and left them.

As soon as I know I'm out of their sight, tears flowed down nonstop. This time, I couldn't feel my heart anymore. I felt  like my world crashed. I felt devastated.

"Rom! Saerom!" I stopped at the voice.

Looking at the ground, I said, "I said it Gyul, we're over."

"Hey, look at me. How'd I know if you're honest if I can't see your eyes?" Honest? She literally could look at me and say she loves me while cheating. I shut my eyes tight and once again, took so much air in for the nth time. I needed courage to look at Gyuri in the eyes and not fall for her again, I need courage to look at her in the eye and still have the ability to stand by my decision.

And I did. The sight of Gyuri soaked in something smelled like beer welcomed me. I looked at her straight, as I threw the engagement ring to her face. .

I walked by the pavements and left her alone. I had no destination and I knew this wasn't the way home. But I wasn't in my right mind, thoughts flooded my head all at once. I felt my body weakening.

A girl holding a bear on her shoulder was the last thing I saw that made me smile that night. And the last thing I saw as my body fell to the ground.

 

---

 

a/n: hello, everyone! I'm back again with another story. THERE ARE MANY ERRORS SO PLEASE UNDERSTAND. And this should just be a oneshot but I might cut them and make ot two or three-shots. Anyway, I hope y'all like it and leave comments for me too. I'd appreciate that. Thank you :ccc