04 - Air

Single Since Birth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four

-JIYEON POV-

I texted Nari that I would be heading out to work a little earlier than usual. I had to lie and tell her that my boss needed me to be there earlier than my expected time. I walked towards my workplace, Mouse Rabbit café, in silence. What was Taehyung so hung up over? Why couldn’t he just tell me? It was so frustrating. No matter how awkward, how hard, or how big the problem was, Taehyung and I relied on each other and would tell each other our problems. I was becoming clingy in his eyes. I almost pushed him away by trying to force him to talk.

Damn it, why is he always so far away from me? It’s like I can never reach out and touch him. I’m always running after him in order to catch up to him. Is this the extent of our relationship? Will he ever look back at me the way I used to look at him? I shook my head. Why am I even still thinking of him in that way? I thought you were over him, Shin Jiyeon!

I walked into the café and greeted my boss, Ryeowook. “Ah, Yeonnie, you’re here! Although, you’re a bit early?” He gave me a confused smile.

“Wookie!” I reached out to give him a side hug.

“Wookie? So I guess that nickname is going to stick with me, huh…”

Laughing, I replied, “As long as you call me Yeonnie, I get to call you Wookie.”

Ryeowook gave a tired sigh and finally agreed, “Fine, you got me there. How come you’re early today? I thought you wanted to work the night shift?”

“I know… I just needed an early distraction. Is it okay if I just start working now? I’ll leave my regular time though!” I begged.

“Yeonnie, don’t worry about it. Are you in some sort of trouble paying bills or anything like that? Is that why you want to work extra?” Ryeowook replied with a worried tone.

Ryeowook was basically like an older brother to me and sometimes, he acted like another parent. I was truly appreciative for his care, but I didn’t want to bother him any longer. “No...” I replied weakly.

“Hm… Yeonnie… I know when something is bothering you. If it’s money problems that you need help with, I’ll speak to Yesung about giving you a raise.” I tried to speak to deny his offer, but he put his hand up to stop me. “Actually, I will do so anyways, because you deserve it. Unfortunately, I’m only watching and managing his store while he’s busy with his other branches, so I can’t change your salary personally. But, as his best friend, I’m sure he trusts whatever decision I make and will agree with the raise.” He gave me an assuring smile.

“Wookie, thanks… I really appreciate it.” I really did. I work to ease my parents from the burden of giving me money, so this possible raise would really help me out. “I mean, the raise would be a great help, but I’m not really worrying about any money problems right now…” I tried to continue speaking, but I was shy to continue on.

“No worries, I got your back.” Chuckling, Ryeowook continued speaking and rested his chin on his arm that was on top the counter. “You must have boy problems then.” He looked at me with a teasing smirk.

Being found out, I suddenly turned pink so I turned the other way and closed my eyes in embarrassment.

I heard Ryeowook gasp. “No way!!! I was only joking!” He started laughing. “But your face gave it all away! Awww, my little sister has boy problems now? You’re growing up!!” Ryeowook started fake crying.

“Oh, shut it.” I hit his arm. “I’m going to change into my uniform now.”

As I left to change, Ryeowook mumbled to himself.

“Yeonnie is so easy to tease… Just like Yeollie…” Ryeowook laughed and shook his head.

 

I continued to work throughout the night. Luckily for me, on weekday nights, the café isn’t that filled with customers, so I get to study while working.

“Yeonnie, aren’t you tired? You never take a break.” Ryeowook asked me.

“That’s why I sleep in on Saturdays,” I laughed replying with a joke.

“Seriously though, don’t overwork yourself. You don’t have to work so often, you know...” He replied.

I gasped. “Are you firing me?” I jokingly replied. “Haha, don’t worry Wookie. I’m fine with working. Especially if it’ll ease the burden off of my parents, I’m willing to do it.” I smiled.

“I understand, I did the same thing. It’s worth it in the end. Keep working hard, Yeonnie. You’ll get there.” Ryeowook gave me a cheery smile and left me to clean the tables.

You may think that Ryeowook is just a plain barista and a manager, but that is not the case. He’s actually a composer. He has a great singing voice and can play the piano. I was shocked to find that out about him but I’m glad I did.

 

*FLASHBACK*

“So, you’re fresh out of high school and you don’t have any work experience. Why do you want to work and why should Mouse Rabbit hire you?” Ryeowook gave me a serious look.

“I want to help.” I replied shyly.

“Customers?” He said confused.

“No, my family.” I replied quickly. Ah, damn! I screwed up! I just said I didn’t want to help out customers!

Ryeowook laughed. “Okay, so what do you aspire to do?”

“I want to create.” I replied. Ryeowook quickly stopped smiling. Did I say the wrong thing? I tried to make a fake answer to save me, so I continued talking. “I want to create drinks to give customers to make them happy.” I gave a half assed smile. Oh man, will this answer save me?

“Please. Jiyeon, right? I don’t like bull answers. Thank you for coming.” Ryeowook went to get up from his seat, but I stopped him from doing so.

“Wait. I’m sorry I wasn’t honest. Please let me finish the question.” I begged, clasping my hands together in front of my chest.

Ryeowook sat down and nodded his head. “Go on.”

“Create. I want to create stories. I want to write.” I finally breathed out the answer that I haven’t been able to confess to anyone else.

Ryeowook gave me a smile. “Why do you want to write?”

“I want to leave a piece of me somewhere.” Shyly, I shook my head. “It sounds crazy to say, but for example, when I pass away, there will be a piece of me still here on earth. I mean, if I am actually able to publish something…” I mumbled the last part.

Ryeowook gave me another smile. “So I’m assuming you’re going to major in Literature in college?” He looked at my resume. “Huh, it says that you’re going to major in Biology.” He gave me a confused look.

“My parents thought it would be wise to major in Biology…” I replied meekly.

“But Seoul University has one of the best Literature programs in Korea!” Ryeowook surprisingly raised his voice.

“I know,” I gave a bitter smile. “That’s why I wanted to go there. That’s why I want to work… my parents wanted me to go to another college, since it would be cheaper and the biology program is better there...”

“But still, you wanted to attend Seoul University… for their Literature program.”

“Yeah, I’m a bit stubborn…” I laughed.

“And you need to work in order to pay your bills… to be able to live your dream to attend Seoul University.”

“Correct.”

“But you’re still going to pursue Biology? Is this something your parents are forcing you to do?” Ryeowook asked.

“Well, they’re not really forcing me to do so… They just heard from a friend that it was wise to major in Biology and I agreed with them. It’s safer to do so, since the job market for Biology graduates is very huge and open.” Was I trying to convince him or myself that?

“Hmm. I have a degree in Biology.” He confessed. What was he doing working as a barista? “My parents told me it was the wisest decision I could make in my life. For four years, I thought they were right. But I found out for myself that sometimes, it’s better to be risky than wise. So just like you, I had to find a job in order to live my dream. I had to make more money in order to ease the burden off my parents. I didn’t want them to pay for the extra classes I needed for my minor that I decided to pursue.”

“Did you minor in business? And you lived your dream by starting up Mouse Rabbit, right?” I was curious. Before I could continue talking, Ryeowook’s phone rang and his ringtone was a familiar tone.

“Sorry, I forgot to silence my phone.” He stopped the ringtone and put his phone back into his pocket.

“No worries, I ac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter