Of Nails and Crushes

We Could Happen

It was afternoon of that saturday when Jennie's group decided to meet up downtown to buy necessary materials for the festival. Everyone was present including Jisoo who came barging in Jennie's house at 8 o'clock in the morning just to annoy her not-so-morning-person bestfriend. 

 

"Can someone explain to me why a traitor, who is not even on our group, is here?" Lisa spat whilst sending occasional glares at Jisoo with her arms crossed over her chest.

 

Apparently, the poor blonde ended up cleaning the campus field all by herself because her 'supposed to be friends' escaped the scene like stealth ninjas. And no, she is still not being dramatic, but Lalisa Manoban doesn't give forgiveness that easily.

 

"Oh cmon, Lili buddy, I've been apologizing to you since we came here", the redhead jumped on the Thai and persistently nudges her arm, "I reaaaaally forgot about our detention. I told you I'm no good with an empty stomach."

 

Lisa snickered whilst swatting Jisoo away, "Have you seen my face after cleaning that stupid field alone? I have a reputation, Chu. But guess what?! The girls... my girls saw me looking wasted holding that stupid broom!"

 

The rest of the group bubbles in a laugh.

 

"Yeah, I saw that. I wondered why you were rolling around looking like a total beggar holding a broom and a trash bag", Yeri said, trying to hold back her laughter.

 

"See?! Everyone saw me! How will I ever win my reputation back?"

 

"I swear if you don't stop whining like a retard, you're not going to see the sun tomorrow", Jennie butted in threateningly.

 

"Woah there, Miss tiger. We don't promote violence in this family", the Thai held her hands above her head in retreat.

 

"Wait, why were you alone anyway? You told us earlier that you were with Chaeng?" Jisoo asked.

 

Lisa gave her a look, "Park Chaeyoung, you say? Yeah, the dean told us to clean up together, but I haven't even picked up a single trash when she started crying uncontrollably and exited the scene whilst ranting god knows what."

 

"Aww poor Chaeng."

 

"Poor Chaeng?? She didn't even lift a finger, you ungrateful traitor!"

 

"I'm not a traitor, I just really forgooooot!"

 

"Traitoooooor!"

 

"I'm nooooooot!"

 

"You aaaaaaare!"

 

Dahyun the leader marches towards them and spat fire, "We've been listening to this nonsense argument for almost an hour now. Can you settle your issue right now so we can start buying??! Or do you want me to lock you up in a cage and watch you snap each other's throat??!"

 

Chanyeol timidly walks up to Dahyun, " Uh, maybe you could do the latter? And then we could do the buying without them?"

 

"Who even is this guy with big ears?" Jisoo pointed at the only guy in the group.

 

"My ears are not that big!"

 

"Yeah, I almost thought you're an elf or something."

 

"I—''

 

Jennie, now with even more dangerous look, squeezed in between them, "Make...up...now."

 

The two girls looked at each other before awkwardly side-hugging.

 

"T-There there, we good now. No need to be violent. Right, Chu?" the blonde plastered a crooked smile.

 

Jisoo mimic-ed, "Right. We're all good. Heh."

 

Such a pain in the neck.

 

"Alright, then, can we finally start buying now?" Dahyun asked, in which all of them nodded.

 

"Okay, I've already distributed our budget fairly depending on the materials to be bought. Me and Yeri are the ones in charge of the nail art polish kit, y'know, everything needed for the nail art itself. While Jennie and Lisa will work on the neon signage. And Chanyeol, you're in charge of the store decorations. Whatever you want our store to look, it's up to you. So if we're all clear, let's get going now", the leader clapped frantically as if cheering on a soccer team before disappearing with Yeri.

 

"Alright, let's get this over with", Jennie said before turning on her heels.

 

"I know a signage shop nearby. It's just across this st—" Lisa attempted to suggest but was immediately cut off by the brunette.

 

"I know. Just come with me and stop talking."

 

The tall girl dramatically hugged herself and turns to whisper to Jisoo, "Is her middle name, 'savage'?"

 

"What are you saying? Nini is nothing but a softie, clingy, squishy, gummy— okay no", the redhead zips upon seeing her bestfriend's glare, "I have a more important concern, though."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Why is the big eared guy tailing us?"

 

The three girls stopped on their tracks and turned to their back in sync, only to find Chanyeol scratching his head awkwardly.

 

"Uh...how am I supposed to know what decorations to buy?" he dumbly asked.

 

"Uh...by instinct? Y'know. If it'll look good on your store or not?" Jisoo answered.

 

"But I'm not good with decorations", he scratches the back of his head again.

 

Lisa facepalmed herself, "You don't know anything about nail arts, and you're not good with decorations either. Dude, do you even have a talent?" 

 

Chanyeol's face fell at that.

 

"Aww poor boy", the redhead sympathetically pats him on the back, "Just come with us, then, and we'll help you choose the decorations. How about that, Nini?"

 

Jennie just shrugged nonchalantly, "It's alright, I guess. This is a team's work, anyway."

 

"Alright, let's go, then."

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

The group first visited the signage shop across the street. After arguing which design must they choose, they settled with the modern-looking pink neon sign which they believed suits their store best. The commotion did not stop there, though, as Jennie, being the only sane in the group, realized that they haven't decided the name of the store yet.

 

"How could Dahyun miss such important detail?" Lisa ranted as she was trying to rack her brain thinking of possible names.

 

"Unless she wanted to state the obvious, we could name it 'Nail Art Salon'?" Jisoo suggested.

 

The blonde stared at her dumbly, "That's a brilliant idea, Chu. I could imagine you walking up to Seulgi to suggest to name your stall 'Horror House'."

 

"I...smell the sarcasm there, Lili."

 

"Heh—"

 

"Nah, let's just decide this on our own," Jennie cut the two, "How about 'Kuku Nail Art'?"

 

Chanyeol snapped his fingers in awe, "T-That's a good name...J-Jennie."

 

"Seriously, Nini? That's the name of your dog," the redhead posed a thumbs down.

 

The brunette propped a finger to her chin and started thinking again, "How about 'Glamorous Nails'?"

 

"Well that's...such a glamorous idea, J-Jennie", the big eared guy complimented with an awkward smile.

 

"That's...pretty lame, Jennie unnie. You could do better." Lisa shrugged.

 

Jennie shut her eyes trying to come up with other ideas, this is already getting on her nerves, "How about 'Happy Nails'?"

 

As if on cue, the three brought their hands up to their faces in feigned amusement, the two mockingly checked their nails.

 

"Do your nails look happy, Chu?"

 

"I don't think so. The one in my pinky seems mad."

 

"I—"

 

Jennie flips an imaginary table in frustration, "Where the hell is Dahyun when you needed her?!"

 

"Um, excuse me, but may I know what's taking you so long?" the manager of the signage shop walked in and interrupted the group, "I'm sorry but we need to get the name of your shop now. We still have other customers to cater."

 

And Jennie has never looked this problematic in her whole life.

 

"Wait, I got this," Jisoo squeezed in and gestures the group to compress, "How about we name it..."

 

She whispers her idea, and after seconds of mumbling, the other three grinned triumphantly.

 

"Why are you good at this." the brunette nudged her playfully.

 

"Because I'm not lame like you, Nini."

 

That earned her a soft smack on the head.

 

"B-But...your ideas were good too, J-Jennie." Chanyeol said timidly, offering a soft smile.

 

"Um, thanks, I guess." the brunette simply replied.

 

Upon watching the interaction, Jisoo subtly nudged Lisa on her ribcage.

 

"Ow! What the hell, Chu. Do you want to break my bones or something?"

 

The older girl thinly pointed at Chanyeol using her lips before whispering, "Is he always like that? Stuttering and all?"

 

"I don't know. Isn't he your classmate, too?" the tall girl whispered back.

 

"I barely notice him, though. He never talks."

 

"I'm just sure of one thing."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Someone has a crush."

 

"What—"

 

They were interrupted with a clearing of throat. The group turned their heads to see the dim expression on the shop manager's face.

 

"What...is...the name...of...your...signage."

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

After spending more time than necessary, purchasing from the signage shop went pretty well. Aside from the shop manager's nagging, of course. But after reassuring them that the signage will be delivered and installed on the day of the festival, the group immediately headed to various decoration shops to help the poor Chanyeol.

 

It was not much of a hassle since they only needed a few wall decors and hangings. But Jisoo has been a bit bothered after the signage shop visit. She didn't know why but she kept looking at Jennie and Chanyeol who were paying at the cashier together. Especially when the guy's face would turn all red everytime Jennie talks to him, and then he would smile like a total fool.

 

That was weird. She thought.

 

"A penny for your thought?"

 

She was startled when Lisa popped out from behind her, she didn't realize she was zoning out.

 

"You told me someone has a crush." she started not really knowing what to ask.

 

The tall girl stood beside her and bites back a knowing smirk. She surely knows where this is heading, "Uh, yes?"

 

Jisoo pointed at the two who are now almost done with the cashier, before looking back at Lisa, "Is it Chanyeol? Does he have a crush on Nini?"

 

The blonde bites back another smirk, "Well, maybe? I mean, we really don't know, but he was pretty obvious, right?"

 

The older girl nodded, "Yeah, he was obviously blushing."

 

"What do you think?"

 

Jisoo turned to Lisa at the sudden question, "Think what?"

 

"About Chanyeol's crush on Jennie unnie", she glances back at the two who are now walking towards them, "I mean, it's only a matter of time before he makes a move, maybe."

 

"Oh."

 

"Think about it, Chu."

 

She was about to ask what to think about, but Jennie and Chanyeol were already infront of them, holding paper bags.

 

"So we're done with this. Where's Dahyun and Yeri now?" the brunette asked.

 

"Wait, Imma call them." Lisa volunteered before fishing out her phone from her pocket.

 

Jisoo watched as Lisa talked on the phone, but her mind was elsewhere. She was confused. What should she think about? And why would she think about that? Maybe because Jennie is her betfriend? Yeah, that's probably it.

 

"They're at the ramen house waiting for us. Let's go!" the blonde announced.

 

"Uh...J-Jennie, let me carry that for you." Chanyeol spoke before taking the paper bags Jennie was holding.

 

That didn't go unnoticed by Jisoo who almost instantly stepped towards them and pulled the brunette from the big eared boy.

 

"Yeah, let him carry everything. Let's go, Nini, Lisa."

 

"I—"

 

And the three girls dashed outside, leaving the poor Chanyeol with six paper bags in hand.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

"So since all of us worked hard today, it's time to fill our stomach with hot delicious ramen! And it's on me!" Dahyun cheered.

 

"Yaaaaay!"

 

The group met up at a popular ramen house downtown to have a little celebration of today’s accomplishment. And being the leader, of course it was Dahyun’s treat. 

 

“You know I could do this everyday if you’re always gonna feed me, guys.” Jisoo spoke before taking yet another spoonful of her kimchi jjigae.

 

“Speaking of which! We still don’t know why you’re here, Jisoo.” Yeri aimed her fork at the redhead, “Are you a spy, huh?”

 

“What??! No. I’m just here because I know you need my awesomeness.”

 

Jennie pretended to search on the floor, “What awesomeness? Where? Did I step on it?”

 

The group shared a laugh whilst Jisoo was pouting and clinging onto her bestfriend.

 

“Have you already forgotten who came up with your store’s name?” the redhead crosses her arms over her chest.

 

Dahyun must’ve realized that detail she has missed as her eyes went a little wide, “Oh my god, I forgot about our store name! What did you guys put in the signage?”

 

As if on cue, the four exclaimed in sync,

 

 

 

“You Nailed It!”