Of Walks and Talks

We Could Happen

"Wait for me, you heartless gorgeous creatures!" Lisa breathed out as she helplessly sprinted to catch up to the duo who seemed like daughters of a cheetah.

She couldn't believe after all those encouraging words she has said just so Jennie would stop being a chicken and woman up to confess to her bestfriend, this is what she will get. No, Lisa is totally not being dramatic.

She was almost in the proximity of the two. Just three more leaps. She was so close to tackling them when a body appeared out of nowhere, her face flat on the intruder's back she could feel her nose bridge crack.

Lisa was so ready to curse whoever it is that she bumped into, balling her fist, she looks up to find a face she wanted to see the least. Her eyes widened and she immediately retracted her fist.

"Ms. Manoban.." the dean's voice was monotonous and Lisa could hear a faint 'here we go again' as he squints his eyes at the girl. "Is your detention punishment lifted?"

The blonde gulped and muttered a small, "Um...no?" before plastering a nervous grin. She so badly wants to escape now. Of all people that she could bump into, it has to be the campus dean. Really now.

"Then what are you doing here running around like this is some children's playground?" the old man tips his head to scan the area, "And where is Ms. Kim? Aren't you two supposed to clean the campus field after class hours?"

"Actually she's...um-" the blonde's eyes trail the direction her two friends were headed and slumped her shoulders almost dramatically when she realized they're gone. Those traitors. "She was...uh, called?"

"Called by who?"

"By um...the nature? You know, call of nature? Heh-" she forced a laugh.

The dean stared at her dumbly, he could only shake his head.

"Whatever. With or without Kim Jisoo, you will go and clean the campus field." the old man waved his hand off as if trying to act cool and started walking away.

That was when Park Chaeyoung made her entrance in a very good timing.

"Oi, Lisa. Have you seen Jisoo and Jennie unnie?" the orange-haired chipmunk asked cluelessly whilst munching on a piece of cucumber.

That didn't go unheard by the dean who was only a few steps away from them, turning to Chaeyoung he said, "Ms. Park, I didn't know you're friends with Ms. Manoban. Whatever. You two, go and clean the campus field." then he waved his hand off for the last time and disappeared to god knows where.

"I...Chaeyoung-ah-" Lisa gasped exaggeratedly, bringing a hand up to cover .

And Chaeyoung was dumbfounded, almost close to tears, "What was that?!"

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"That store really makes the best chicken skewer!" Jisoo bursts enthusiastically before taking yet another bite of chicken from its stick.

The sun has already set, leaving a faint shade of orange beautifully painted in the sky as the bestfriends walk their way home, not forgetting to get themselves some good chicken skewers from Jisoo's favorite store.

"How can you say that when you haven't even tried chicken skewers from other stores?" Jennie teased, a soft smile plastered on her lips.

"Exactly why it is the best for me", the older girl mirrored her bestfriend's smile. "One doesn't have to taste everything to tell what is best for them. It is self-chosen."

"Genius."

Exactly why Jisoo is the best for Jennie. She may seem dumb, but is actually very witty whenever she feels like it. Maybe she's half dumbo, half genius, afterall?

The brunette couldn't help but smile at the thought.

"Should I just pretend that I'm not walking with my bestfriend who is smiling all by herself?"

She was brought back to her senses by Jisoo's remark, "Nah, I was just thinking about the possibility of you being half dumbo, half genius, you know?"

"Excuse me, Nini? I'm kind of offended", the redhead playfully pointed the chicken stick to her bestfriend, "I'm pure."

"Pure genius?"

"Pure dumbo."

They shared a laugh as they cross the evening streets of Hongdae. Jennie didn't know if it's because of the street lamps that Jisoo's eyes sparkle as she laughs. Or maybe she's just too whipped that everything the girl does sparkles in her eyes.

Then she remembered the event earlier. Jisoo's flushed cheek while talking to Jin. And Lisa's words kept ringing in her head. She hates to admit it but the blonde did make her think about confessing. But is it really about time? Is she ready for this? Most importantly, will Jisoo be ever ready for this?

She turns her head to her bestfriend who's now on her last bite, "Chu?"

The older girl looks up at her, wiping the corner of her lips, "Hm?"

"About that Jin guy", she started not really knowing what to say.

Upon hearing the name, Jisoo's eyes visibly lit up and her lips tugged upwards almost automatically. And Jennie swears this is her first time hating the girl's smile.

"You mean Kim Seokjin? He's a funny guy, Nini. He's got some lame dad jokes, but funny nonetheless", the redhead answered, "What is it about him, though?"

"Uh yeah, you two seem close", the younger was trying hard not to sound annoyed, but was miserably failing.

"Well, we share a few subjects together. But we really don't talk that much. So, nah, not really close."

"I see. But you do know that he likes you...right?" Jennie glances subtly at her bestfriend to see her reaction.

Jisoo just shrugged, "Of course. Who wouldn't like me?"

That earned her a soft smack on the head by the brunette, "I'm being serious here, you dork!"

The older girl jogged ahead with a smirk playing on her lips, "And I'm just stating a fact! Even the librarian likes me, she's just too old and too indenial to admit", grinning widely she continued, "Now whoever reaches our block last, is a monkey."

Jennie just looked on as her dumbo of a bestfriend sprinted her way towards their neighboring block, "Do you really expect me to catch up to you?!"

Jisoo held up both her hands to form a heart sign above her head as an answer.

"Damn, you're right", Jennie smiled in defeat as she started catching up to the redhead.

Whipped.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"I can't believe I lost. I ran way ahead of you."

"You need more exercise, then, monkey."

The girls reached the corner of their block with Jennie as the unexpected winner and her bestfriend couldn't stop whining about it. But it was almost 7 in the evening and they knew they need to part.

"Hey, Chu?" Jennie spoke as they stand across the street that separates their respective blocks.

"Yes, Nini?"

"If he ever pursue you..."

The older girl's forehead creased in confusion.

"Jin, I mean", the brunette clarifies, "If he ever pursue you, tell me, okay?"

Jisoo breaks into a wide grin after hearing that which confuses the younger.

"Nini?"

"Yeah?"

"You're jealous."

It wasn't a question. It was a statement that almost made Jennie's eyeballs popped out of their socket. This is the second time in this afternoon. Was she really that obvious?

"W-What, no- i..." she was trying to play it cool, "I'm just concerned, you know? I'm your bestfriend. As much as possible I need to know everything about this matter so I could protect you."

Jennie was not an expert in lying but having it done two times in a row makes her think twice. Her heart was beating fast and she didn't know if it was because of the race, or because her bestfriend might have an idea about her feelings.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice Jisoo stepping in her personal space to pinch her cheeks.

"Cute", the redhead offered a soft smile, "I understand. But you don't have to worry, Nini. I'm a grown up girl. No man can hurt me."

"You didn't grow, though."

"You're not tall enough to argue."

They cackled at the same time.

"Seriously though, I'm not interested in him let alone in his dad jokes."

And Jennie internally heaved out a sigh of relief.

"So, I think we should call it a day?" Jisoo asks.

"Yeah, we should", the younger simply replied.

"Do you have plans tomorrow, by the way? It's a saturday."

"Yep, we're gonna buy materials for the festival. You?"

"Nothing. Most of our materials are DIY so we wouldn't need to buy much. But tomorrow would be booooring. Can I come with you guys?" the redhead pouted with puppy eyes.

"Sure. We actually need someone who'll carry all the materials we're gonna buy, so yeah. See ya tomorrow?" Jennie smirks playfully.

"Meanie. I'll go home now. See you tomorrow, Nini. Goodnight!"

"Night, Jichu!"

They gave each other a small wave and are about to head to their respective abodes when the older of the two suddenly stopped on her track.

"Wait-"

The brunette turned around to face her, confused.

"Why?"

"Isn't that...Lisa?" she asks while pointing to the girl walking on the other side of the street.

"Well, that surely is Lisa...but why does she look wasted?" she squints her eyes, "and why is she holding a...broom??"

As if on cue, the bestfriends both gasped in unison.

"Is your detention lifted??"

Jisoo shook her head and smiled awkwardly.


"Oh, man."