Of laughs and chicken

We Could Happen

Jennie promptly closes the book she was reading and leans her back against the plastic chair. She's been studying for more than two hours now and maybe some minutes of rest won't do bad on her grades. The exam's not that hard anyway, she argued in her mind.

She lets her eyes wander around the spacious library of their university and notices every single detail. From how the student assistants were carefully placing the books back to the shelves, to how their old-maid librarian was polishing her nails over the counter. It was quiet as usual, she thought.

Well save for the light snores of the girl sleeping peacefully infront of her. Head pressed against the table with her messy hair scattered carelessly everywhere, and a small drool on the corner of her lips. The books she was supposed to read were left untouched at the side. Jennie's lips absentmindedly curled into an amused smile seeing the adorable state of the girl.

Kim Jisoo. Her bestfriend for eight years. A total opposite of her. They practically grew up together though many people were wondering how they ended up being bestfriends, considering the many differences in their personality.

Jennie is calm and reserved, and usually has this cold aura which discourages people from approaching her. It is not that she's not friendly. It is just that, only a few people can see the softness behind her icy demeanor. One of which, is Jisoo.

Oh, Jisoo. How could one describe her? She is the campus' social butterfly. A dork who knows almost everyone and everything, and as annoying as she can be, you can never hate her. She's a beautiful chaos.

So how did they end up being bestfriends? Jennie didn't know either. All she can remember was a 12-year old Jisoo beating the hell out of the older students who were bullying her. She was her savior. Her hero. She considers her as her real sister and she didn't mind that because that is what bestfriends are supposed to feel.

Bestfriends. That word was never an issue until Jennie started having strange feelings she knows she shouldn't have. She didn't know when she started seeing Jisoo differently. Sure, she's had some girl crushes before. Like Irene, the queenka of the campus. And Tzuyu, the exchange student from China. But none of them felt like how she was feeling right now. None of them felt like how she feels for Jisoo.

Jennie wasn't sure when or how. It just happened. And boy, she knows she's in for a big trouble because she's surely falling for her bestfriend who doesn't even know the concept of romantic love. Doomed.


"Nini?"

Jennie was brought back to her senses by that deep husky voice she's very familiar with.

She saw Jisoo slowly opening her eyes and she immediately opens the book she was recently reading and pretended to be busy, cautious that the girl might catch her staring at her.

"I had a good dream! What time is it?", Jisoo asked in between her yawns whilst stretching her arms exaggeratedly.

"It's time for you to start studying or you'll fail the exam later", Jennie answered matter of factly, she lowered the book she was pretending to read to take a look at the older girl.

Jisoo enthusiastically stood up and pumps her fist in the air, gaining attention from the other students in the library.

"That's exactly what I dreamt about! I'll get an A+ in Biology later!", she blurted rather loudly, her set of white pearl teeth showing off in her signature grin.

"Kim Jisoo! For goodness' sake, this is a library. If you don't zip that mouth of yours, I'll kick you out of here", the old-maid librarian yelled from the counter.

Jennie just shakes her head and lets out a soft chuckle in amusement at the sight of her bestfriend repeatedly bowing and mumbling a soft 'sorry' to the librarian before leaning back on her seat. This is not new to them. This happens almost everyday and this is actually one of the reasons why Jisoo became popular in their university.

"Dumb dumb. How will you get an A+ when you just slept on me since we came here?", Jennie half-whispered to her before pointing a finger at the untouched books on the table, "You haven't even opened the books you borro-- wait, what?!"

The younger girl shouldn't be surprised by this. But Kim Jisoo really borrowed recipe books with pictures of fried chicken in the cover instead of Biology.

The redhead just laughed and picked up the books from the table, not forgetting to whisper, "Just needed a little inspiration for studying. Fried chicken inspires me", before sprinting to one of the shelves to put the books back.

Jennie was asking herself, yet again, how she fell for this dork. Maybe it's her unique way of thinking. Or how carefree she can be at times. She couldn't point out the specific trait but she finds herself smiling whilst her eyes trail Jisoo's direction.

The smile didn't last for too long, though, when a loud sound of books falling endlessly from the shelves was heard. Just then, the red-haired culprit cautiously emerged from one of the book shelves, a toothy grin playing on her lips.


"KIM JISOO! YOU'RE BANNED FROM VISITING THE LIBRARY FOR ONE WEEK! GET YOUR OUT OF HERE!!", the librarian was furious.

And that, everyone, was how they got kicked out of the library...again.

~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~

"Ppoong ppoong ppoong ppoong--"

Jennie takes an empty paper bag from her side and covers the annoying Jisoo's head with it.

They went straight to their english class after getting kicked out of the library, and Jisoo won't stop singing that 'ppoong ppoong' song since then.

"That's mean, Nini", the older girl muttered after taking the paper bag off of her head, a small pout visible on her lips.

Jennie finds that cute. She wants to smile but she shouldn't act obvious. So she just flicked Jisoo's forehead instead, making the girl pout more.

"Stop singing that 'ppoong ppoong' already. Mr. Han might hear you", she whispered before pointing her lips at their english professor who seems to be enjoying the discussion.

"But I can't understand a thing. Why does he keep talking about birds?", her bestfriend complained.

Jennie almost choked in laughter if she hadn't stopped herself. She looks at Jisoo in disbelief, doubting if this person beside her is human or some alien in disguise.

"Jisoo. He's teaching about verb. V.E.R.B. Verb. Not bird. Oh my God", the younger girl literally facepalmed herself, trying so hard not to burst in laughter.

"It sounds the same! And look, no one's even listening to him. Nalalisa's about to doze off over there", Jisoo argued, pointing at the slim girl beside the window.

"Who the hell is Nalalisa?"

"Lisa Manoban. The player."

Here she goes again with the nicknames, Jennie thought. She even remembers when the girl composed a non-sense song for one of their professors, and sings it everytime he passes by. Jisoo had to clean the campus gym because of that.

This girl is really different.

"Whatever. Just stop making noises and listen", Jennie lectured.

That might have worked because the girl suddenly got quiet. So Jennie focuses her attention back to their professor thinking that Jisoo has finally decided to listen. She was jotting down some notes after a little while when she felt a hand on her right ear.

She tips her head to the right and freezes as she watches Jisoo carefully tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Jennie gulped at the close proximity of their faces.  Sure, Jisoo had done this so many times before. But now feels different. Now feels like the first time, but the comfortable kind of first time.

The redhead smiles at her and she couldn't help but stare. The girl has always had this innocent smile and it's her most favorite thing in the world. It almost felt real.

Almost.

"Your face looks like a bun."

She knew it. This girl could never act romantic. Jennie's mood dropped to freezing point.

"Stop making fun of my face, dumbo", she softly bumps her knuckles on Jisoo's head before glaring.

The girl just chuckled, "Bun Jennie. Ahh, it makes me hungry. I want chickeeeen."

"Shut up."

"Chicken chicken chicken chicken."

"Shut up."

"I need chicken so I can study for the exam later."

"Shut up."

"Chicken chicken chicken chicken--"

"Fiiiiiiineee!!!", Jennie blurted a little loudly, making all heads turn to them.

"Ms. Jennie Kim, would you mind sharing your business there?", the professor asked in a stern voice.

Kim Jisoo is a trouble. Damn.

~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~

So they ended up having chicken for lunch at the cafeteria. Jennie was lucky that Mr. Han didn't pry further. Perks of being the top student in class.

"Jisoo unnie, you got banned in the library again? This is your third time already, right? And this semester just started", Chaeyoung asked.

Park Chaeyoung. She's been friends with Jennie and Jisoo since senior highschool, but took a different course in college. The two girls are taking up music whilst Chaeyoung is taking up finance. But despite the conflict in schedule, they still manage to hang out when they all have free time.

"Butsh ish fhun", the red haired girl answered whilst munching on a piece of chicken.

"Uh...?"

"She said it's fun", Jennie answered for her.

"But we need the library to borrow books and study. This week is our preliminary exams week. How can we study without the library? It's such a loss. I could never imagine my life without the library..."

Chaeyoung's mantra continues until God knows how long. Jennie just shakes her head at the sight of her bestfriends. With Jisoo busily stuffing with the chicken, and Chaeyoung endlessly blabbering about the importance of education whilst holding two books in her hands. They all have different personalities and interests, and yet, they clicked together. Jennie finds this amusing.

"Um...excuse me? Can I share the table with you, guys?"

The three girls looked up at the voice and saw a tall slim woman grinning at them whilst holding a tray of food. It's the transfer student from Thailand. Lisa Manoban.

As far as Jennie is concerned, this girl just moved into korea a few weeks before the first semester started. They share a few subjects together and she gets to hang out with Jisoo at times, while Chaeyoung has never met her before.

"Nalalisa! Sure, you can sit beside Chaeyoung", Jisoo offered, as expected from the social butterfly.

"Thanks, Chu!", the slim girl replied before turning to Chaeyoung who by now had stopped blabbering, "Mind if I sit beside you, pretty lady?"

Chaeyoung just mutters a short 'sure' before turning back to her books.

Flirt. Lisa Manoban is a flirt. It's only been a few months since the semester started and she already has this reputation of being a player. Jennie has no problem with it as long as her friends are out of the picture.

"By the way, we haven't really got the chance to be introduced, have we? I'm Lisa Manoban, and I'm kind of new here. I hope we get along together", the Thai girl started as soon as she's settled on her seat.

"I'm Jennie."

"I'm Jis--"

"I know you already, Chu. We're buddies", Lisa intruded before giving Jisoo a high five.

Jennie crinkles her nose at the given nickname.

"How about this pretty lady here? May I know your name?", the player turned to Chaeyoung who's currently mumbling God knows what terminologies.

"Uh who? Me? Well my real name is Roseanne Park. My friends call me Rose or Rosie. But I prefer my korean name better, Park Chaeyoung. It sounds soft and cute. Rose and Rosie are not bad but they kind of give off a wild impression..."

And Chaeyoung's mantra saga continues.

"Ah, really? All your names are cute, to be honest. Just like you", Lisa praised, "Do you like nuggets? I can share you some."

The girl's face flushed a deep shade of red at that, whilst Jennie just rolled her eyes. She's not liking this Manoban girl very much and she's going to have a serious talk with Chaeyoung later.

"Hey, Lisa. We're in the same geometry class too, right?" Jisoo suddenly started a topic.

"Hm? Yeah. Mr. Lee's class? Man, he's a pain in the neck", the younger replied.

"I thought I was the only one who thinks of that. He failed me at algebra last semester, and now I don't know how I'm going to pass his exam two days from now", the redhead complained, chicken bones still in hands.

Lisa's lips suddenly curl into a sly smirk, leaning over the table to whisper, "You want a revenge?"

As if a bulb lit up Jisoo's head, her lips matched Lisa's smirk and whispers back, "A very sweet revenge."

Meanwhile, Jennie failed to hear the conversation of the two dorks because she had to get a bottle of water. She came back with only a Chaeyoung now reading three books at the same time.

"Chaeng, where did they go?"

"Uh...? Where did 'who' go?"

"Jisoo and Lisa."

"Jisoo and Lisa? Oh? They're gone?"

Jennie facepalmed herself. Here comes trouble.

~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Chaeyoung and Jennie parted ways after the lunch break. The younger girl went to her afternoon exam while Jennie went looking for her dork of a bestfriend. Their biology exam will start in less than an hour and Jisoo and Lisa are nowhere to be found.

She already scanned almost all the rooms in the hallway but still no shadow of them. She decided to go to the faculty to ask the professors, and bingo, she finally found what she's looking for.

She saw Lisa tiptoe-ing her way out of the office of their geometry professor, Mr. Lee, holding a can of...paint? Followed by Jisoo holding a paint brush, spots of pink paint visible on her nose and cheek. The two did a fist bump and Jennie was about to call them both, but someone already beat her to it.


"KIM JISOO! LISA MANOBAN! DETENTION FOR ONE WEEK!!" the campus dean was beyond furious.


And Jennie was disappointed. But not surprised.