Chapter 2

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2

September 26, 2017


The Psychiatrist was a black woman in her late 40's and as she spoke Somin could hear the Kenyan lilt to her voice. Her attire was shabbier than Somin would expect someone of her pay grade would adorn; a plain lavender t-shirt, gray sweatpants and the universal white nurse shoes.

But maybe that was deliberate, Somin thought. Maybe she didn't want to put her patients off by being too showy.

Somin was the first to admit that she preferred this average looking woman to the doctor who’d conducted the removal of her memories. That Doctor looked more like she belonged on the American daytime soap opera, Days of Our Lives, than she did in this small town rehabilitation center.

“How have you been, here have a seat.”

Dr. Thuo pulls out a straight back chair and Somin sits, thanking her with a smile. The doctor pats her on the shoulder.

“This must be an exciting time for you? Just one week left and you’re going to be out in the real world again.”

This was her last week. The last stage. For the next seven days Somin would be seeing this psychiatrist so that she could be evaluated. If this Dr. gave the Ok, in just seven days Somin would be out of here.

Somin grins, “To be honest I don’t know whether to be excited about getting out of here or the fact that the Program found a job for me. I know my file says I’ve never held a job before so I guess I am kind of nervous.”

Dr. Thuo smiles, “Well you’ve been doing great so far here, you’ve adapted better than most. I’m sure that wherever you go you’ll succeed.”

The words are a comfort. Somin’s memories are artificial now, so she doesn’t know the kind of girl she is. The fact that this woman could see greatness in her was a reassurance that Somin didn’t know she needed.

“Now, why don’t you tell me about what you do remember.”

For the next two hours Somin talks about the new memories and what she thinks of them. She talks about her stay and how she’s even made some friends. Most of the time Dr. Thuo is immersed in her paperwork, scribbling every now and again, then occasionally she would glance up at Somin with a question or comment.

Somin wonders if all this deliberate looking away was supposed to put her at ease, make her feel less threatened, like the doctors shabby clothes.

She liked her, the doctors manner, the run down office. Dr. Thuo must have some sort of calling to be here with these troubled teens and not in some sort of swanky upscale place making a considerate amount of money and appearing in the New York Times.

By noon Somin has successfully finished her first check in.

The doctor smiles and winks, “You’ll be outta here in no time kid”.

Somin is in a cloud and for the first time, though she doesn’t know this, she is looking forward to her prospective future.

She’s walking back to her room when she spots Matthew in the garden. Deciding that some sun is what the doctor called for she heads down there.

Somin walks into the garden, her steps slowing down when she realizes Matthew isn’t admiring the flowers but was instead, snooping. She glanced in the direction he was looking and her eyes narrow. Was he looking towards Sector D?

“What are you doing?”

Matthew jumps, his heart dropping to his stomach.

He glares at Somin, “Damn! You scared the hell out of me!”

“What are you doing?” Somin repeats accusingly.

Matthew does a quick scan of the garden, surely if Somin had gotten the jump on him may

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter