Chapter 3

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

September 28, 2017

Somin hasn’t seen Jiwoo or Taehyung in a while. Four days ago Jiwoo had her operation and was now on bed rest and after what Matthew said about Taehyung the shorter boy stopped hanging around her when Matt was around. Then two days ago he’d undergone his fourth Extraction of the year.

Somin hoped the doctors were able to help him this time. After getting to know the boy she could see how gentle he was despite having had grown up in harsh conditions. Like Matthew, when Taehyung arrived he had been placed in C wing. After his first Extraction and first round of therapy, though it didn’t work, the doctors decided that he was good enough to be placed in Sector B.

That's where Somin was placed. That's where the kids tormented by their harsh pasts were placed.

There are four wings to the hospital; A, B, C, and D, though D shut down a few years ago.

Sector A housed the low risk kids. These kids weren't a threat to themselvess or society despite their history. Their Extraction and Recovery time lasted no more than two weeks.

Sector B housed the teens susceptible to self harm. These kids were tormented by their past, tortured by endless memories and there only way they got through the day was by hurting themselves even more. The suicide rate in these kids was 84%. This wing was where Somin and Jiwoo were admitted.

Sector C housed the potential threats to society. These kids were the most tortured souls, they not only suffered at the hands of demons but were taught how to inflict the same damage to others. Matthew and Taehyung were placed here upon arrival.

Sector D was closed but there were rumors that that's where they kept the kids who had no hope at all. The kids who were beyond help of the Program. No one knew for sure.

The four sectors were located in different buildings but they all came together and connected in the recreational room. The patients took to calling it Midpoint. It was the place where most kids ate their lunch, hung around to play video games and watch movies. Everyone one was allowed in, even some of the kids from Sector C, though most of the time they had their own nurse to keep an extra eye on them.
Midpoint is where Somin is headed now.

Today Jiwoo would be taken out of bed rest, though Taehyung was still recovering. Somin couldn't wait to have some company again.

For the last few days it was just Somin. Matthew stoped hanging around her after she had told him to leave D sector alone. He spent most of his time snooping and Somin rarely saw him.

Speaking of the devil, Matthew turned the corner heading her way. Finally, Somin thought, maybe he was ready to leave it alone.

“Hey Matt,” she smiles, giving him a small wave.

Matthew doesn't look at her. He doesn't even slow down when he nears her, he just keeps walking leaving Somin in the hallway, alone, arm still raised in mid wave.

Somin’s cheeks grow hot and she lowers her hand. Whatever.

She continues walking to Midpoint.

There was one upside. Somin was leaving soon. Just five more days and she would be out of this place. Even though she was grateful for all the doctors had been able to do for her she wanted to be out in the real world. It would start snowing soon and Somin wanted to be outside when it happened. She loved the snow, she planned on wearing the warmest clothes ever and sitting down at a park bench to watch the first snowfall of the season.

She used to do this with her mother.

Somin stops walking. Did she? Did her mother really take a day off from work each year so they could watch the first snowfall of winter? Oh yeah, probably not.

Somin continues walking, her steps slower and less enthusiastic than before. That is probably an imported memory. The memory leaves a longing in her heart. The new memories weren't supposed to make her sad were they? But then why did she feel tears bubbling up behind her eyes when she realized that this memory is a lie. It couldn't have been real, Somin thinks to herself, you're in a recovery program replacing bad memories with good ones remember?

Somin shakes her head. Come on Somin, think only good, you're almost done with the Program, this is good news.

She has been getting an OK each day from the shrink so Somin knows it's only a matter of time before she is discharged.

Somin finally makes it to Midpoint and glances around at everyone's faces, looking for Jiwoo. She spots her near the windows and jogs up.

“Jiwoo, how are you?” She asks placing a light hand in her shoulder.

Jiwoo turns around and surprises Somin with a smile that Somin can't help but return. She'd never seen Jiwoo smile before, heck she didn't even know Jiwoo knew how. Since she arrived Jiwoo had been nothing but blank stares and the occasional scowl towards Matthew.

They spend the rest of the day together, talking about small things, about the future, their second chance, and Somin is grateful for the change.

They were doing great things here, Somin thought. Maybe when she gets out she'll go back to school and train to become one of the doctors that specialize in Memory Removal. These doctors and nurses were really helping kids move forward in life and she wanted to be a part of something this grand.


#

Matthew would only get one chance at this.

The tall boy walks down the hallway nonchalantly, seeming like he has no care in the world. It is an act.

There are cameras all around the building, there is one right there at the end of the hall as he makes his way towards his therapy session. He needs to be as unsuspicious as he can possibly manage, which is easier than he thought it would be. His talent for this kind of thing surprised him. Who knew he would be so good at deceiving and manipulating? It probably had to do with the way he was raised, though Matthew really doesn’t have a clue.

He has a plan, or at least, he thinks he does. It is simple enough;

Go to therapy Make up some excuse to get the Doc out of the room Look for any clues that might hint to anything having to do with Sector D

Still, he would be lying if he said he wasn’t even a bit scared. He is.

Matthew makes it to the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter