Two Of A Kind

Big Brother Exo

Stealthily, Sneakily, Calculated. The tall caramel skinned boy could be seen stepping into his younger sisters room with extra care not to make any noise. Finally setting his position above you, he jumped onto your bed shaking his whole body making sure to hit you with every floppy limb. “Ah! Jongin get off!” Laughing so hard he may have passed a kidney stone, your older brother rolled off of the bed and onto the cold wood floor. Gaining composure, Jongin sits up on the floor and wipes his tears away with his index finger. You decide to sit up as well feeling too awake to go back to bed. “What was that for?” Perking up you see your silly brother stand up with a wide grin. He begins to flail his arms around as he excitedly explains. “There’s a new dog shelter down the street and they said they needed volunteers!” Getting out of bed without a word you pick out some clothes. Your brother smiles as you leave to change wanting more than anything to play with the animals. You had walked the short distance with your brother jumping around and talking about how happy this opportunity made him. Reaching the shelter doors the two of you are greeted by one of the staff members. “Hello! Here to help?” With two rushed nods you’re on your way to the back ready to help anyway you can. Seeing all the animals in cages made your brother sad which you had noticed. You nudged his arm and gave him a comforting smile. Returning that smile your brother seemed to look exceptionally relieved. “Well we have enough staff for the feeding and cleaning so why not take some of our dogs out for some exercise.” Nodding eagerly we follow the employee to some cages. We stop at a large cage with two pit bulls. She opens the cage and the dogs walk back a bit seemingly frightened. “This is Bella and Barney. Their brother and sister. We rescued them from a fighting house a few weeks ago. They’re really gentle but easily scared so please do be careful not to make any sudden movements or loud noises.” She goes through procedure telling us how to watch them and how far we can go. Feeling nervous I grab onto Bella’s leash and follow my brother outside. The first few minutes of the walk were filled with an air of unfamiliar silence. We had always been comfortable around each other never feeling awkward, but the responsibility of these dogs were on our shoulders. Feeling the need to talk I start up a conversation. “So...” and utterly fail. We both laugh, maybe a bit too loud, which scares Barney. He tugs at the leash getting free catching my brother off guard. All the commotion causes Bella to freak out and run after her brother as I lose strength in the leash after falling into a jolt of confusion. “We can’t let them get away.” At my brothers words we begin to run around the neighborhood looking for Barney and Bella. Choosing not to split up, we find ourselves at a nearby park. I see Bella under one of the jungle gym parts and point. “Look. Over there.” We slowly and stealthily sneak up on Bella only to find her sitting next to Barney. They see us as we get closer and stand up getting ready to run. “Shh...don’t worry, we won’t hurt you. I’m sorry we scared you.” The sound of my brothers soothing voice plays through the park. He continues to talk with a kind nurturing tone as we both get closer. Finally we’re close enough to touch them and comfort them with small pets. I smile at Bella. “I’m sorry we scared you. We were just nervous. You scared us too you know, when you left.” Looking into Bella’s eyes I could see an innocent glint. After a while of petting and getting acquainted we walk around the park feeling more at ease. A half an hour later we return side by side. “How’d it go?” Jongin excitedly squeals. “It was so much fun! I think I made a new friend.” To the employees surprise, Barney stayed perfectly still. “Looks like he thinks so too.” We laugh as we walk back to their cage. Saying goodbye was the hardest part. The and kisses coaxed us into staying a bit longer than we anticipated, but we eventually left feeling broken hearted. “Do you think Mom will let us have two dogs?” I let out a short snort. “We already have two dogs.” Jongin looks down in realization. “Oh...but still!” I smile. “Yeah, sure, why not?” We arrive at home a little bit later after feeling the need for some ice cream. We had been stopped a bit short because of a commotion down the street at some arcade a few stores down, but it was no big deal. Opening the door you smell the delicious air of you and your brothers favorite meal. You both turn to each other. “Chicken!” Rushing to the kitchen you see your mom cooking some mouth watering chicken. You rush up to your mom and give her a nice hug. “Hey Mom!” You both laugh knowing what’s about to come next. “Yes?” “Can we have two more dogs?”