The Friendships, loyalty and determination

The Sparks in Your Eyes

“What the hell happened to your hands?”

 

Sehun cringed seeing his friend’s hands that had ugly scratches here and there. It was Tuesday and they had Arithmancy for the fifth period, much to Sehun’s disapproval and probably half of the students as well. Zitao sat next to his Gryffindor friend, constantly hissing in pain whenever his wounds rubbed against any other surfaces, not that he protested though. He refused to check on the hospital wings, afraid that Madam Pomfrey might scold him and telling him not to do unnecessary things for weeks, which could ruin Zitao’s whole plan for making Kris’ birthday present.

 

“Did Baekhyun ask you to battle with Mandrakes bare handed?”

 

“Very funny, Oh Sehun.”

 

“No, seriously. What the hell happened?”

 

“Please don’t ask.”

 

“Judging by your reaction, I reckon you failed miserably at whatever you were doing with Baek, right?”

 

“Shut up, Sehunnie.” Zitao pouted. He glanced to his side and saw Sehun stared at him with a horror face, which amused Zitao.

 

“Did you just call me…?”

 

“Yes, Sehunnie?” Zitao smiled almost too innocently.

 

“For Merlin’s pants, stop calling me that, it’s disgusting!” Sehun groaned. “I shouldn’t have allowed you to meet Baekhyun, I know he’s a bad influence.”

 

“What? I think ‘Sehunnie’ is cute.” Zitao laughed. His friend groaned some more before professor Vector ended the class with an unexpected announcement.

 

“And that students, is how you will be working your projects with the total of three people. Any question?”

 

A Ravenclaw student whom Zitao didn’t bother remembering her name asked some questions, then suddenly Sehun nudged him.

 

“If it’s Arithmancy homework, I’m grouping with you.” Sehun whispered.

 

“Alright, but we need one more person.” Zitao said. “How about that girl over there?” Zitao pointed at the girl sitting alone a few rows behind them.

 

“Hufflepuff? Really? They’re dimwitted, you know that. Except for Luhan-hyung, he’s the only smart Hufflepuff I know.” Sehun argued. Zitao slapped his friend’s arm for his nasty prejudice towards Hufflepuffs, before Sehun continued “Now, we want to look for a Ravenclaw, they’re the best weapon for group projects. We need smart people.”

 

Zitao rolled his eyes but glanced at the rests of the Ravenclaws at class, only that they were grouping with their own house. Sehun scoffed in annoyance.

 

“I forgot they’re bunch of over-achievers. Probably working their asses to get perfect marks and take over the house points.”

 

“Now, now easy there. It’s nothing wrong grouping with your own house.” Zitao said. “Besides, I’ve always heard they’re really hard to work in groups anyway, especially with different houses.”

 

“Alright students, has every one of you found your group? Then I’ll dismiss the class!” Professor Vector’s voice boomed through the class and Sehun groaned in defeat.

 

“Quick, just pick anyone!”

 

“Anyone?” Zitao asked. He glanced at the class some more, seeing that the earlier Hufflepuff girl was already grouping with some Gryffindors, so she was no longer an option. The Ravenclaws seemed to be discussing about something already, probably planning their projects earlier than the others. He then glanced to a group of his own house, with their usual hard faces, not really paying attention to class. Then he saw someone at the very back rows, sleeping shamelessly, covering his head with his robe’s hoodie like he didn’t care about the world at all.

 

“Sehun, I think I just found someone.”

 

---

 

Zitao would usually being left out whenever there were group projects, at least until his 2nd years. He was never good with talking to people, so he would usually ended up doing his supposedly group project by himself and none of the professors had complained. Sometimes he would group with Hufflepuffs, they never talked much and minded their own business so Zitao liked grouping with their house. He did once grouping with a Ravenclaw, and he regretted it instantly as Zitao had enough for a week of nightmare with those perfectionists. Ravenclaws always saw the tiny details, constantly nagging when there were small mistakes, and as clumsy as Zitao was supposed to be, he had a terrible week he couldn’t forget. Sometime later in his 3rd year, weirdly enough he managed to stick up with Taemin and Jongin in group projects for the whole year, much to Taemin’s disagreement and his constant mockery of Zitao of course. If it wasn’t thanks to Jongin, Zitao would probably end up being a pathetic loser who always did his homeworks alone.

 

But thankfully, he had Sehun now, so Zitao didn’t really have to worry about group projects or partners anymore, and since Taemin didn’t take Arithmancy as his elective class, not like Zitao cared, which left Jongin alone, was according to Zitao, a great opportunity for his group mates.

 

Or so he thought.

 

You see, when you combine two houses which happened to be archenemies and not to mention two rivals of young seekers in Quidditch, who loathed each other, was a very stupid and a very bad decision, much, much worse than lurking in the forbidden forest.

 

There, sat at the library, were Zitao, sitting beside his Gryffindor mate, Sehun of course, and oh-so-surprisingly across them was Kim Jongin who glared at the young Gryffindor’s seeker, which Sehun returned the favor as well. To say that the tension was horrible was an understatement. The glaring contest only made Zitao felt uncomfortable, but since earlier at class Zitao saw Jongin sleeping silently at the back row, and of course, as much as he hated Kim Jongin and his stupid pranks, he cared for his friend and wouldn’t let him failed this year’s Arithmancy.

 

“Come on guys, we don’t really have a choice do we?”

 

“Excuse you? And why would I, the mighty Kim Jongin, grouping with HIM?” Jongin sneered.

 

“Same goes for me.” Sehun spat.

 

“Let’s go Huang, we can always do this project just the two of us and let this little do his homework alone, I’m sure professor Vector wouldn’t mind.”

 

“No can do, I was grouping with Zitao first. If we have to throw away people, it should be you.” Sehun glared.

 

“What nonsense are you talking about? Huang has always been in my group since last year!” Jongin glared back.

 

“Guys!!” Zitao screamed and flinched when he was harshly shushed by Madam Pince. “Please, enough.” He then whispered to the bickering boys.

 

“But—”

 

“No buts!!” Zitao glared. “If you two won’t stop fighting then I’ll just throw myself out and do the homework alone. And that left only the both of you, which I’m sure would fail miserably, no?”

 

Both Sehun and Jongin only stared at their feet, annoyed to the fact that Zitao was right.

 

“Now, we only have two weeks before the deadline, so do me a favor to not kill each other at least until we finished the project?”

 

“But the Quidditch match is this week, how are we supposed to—“

 

“Silence Jongin. Now, where were we?” Zitao mumbled.

 

“Kicking the Oh’s out of our group.”

 

“Jongin, enough!” and once again, Zitao was shushed by Madam Pince.

 

“This will not work out.” Sehun sighed.

 

“Yeah, I mean hello you’re the outsider here of course it won’t work out.” Jongin scowled. He had no longer cared with Madam Pince’s deadly glares.

 

“Well? Look who’s talking! If you and your friends wouldn’t let Zitao suffering in his own house that much, he wouldn’t probably hanging around with an ‘outsider’ like me!” Sehun banged his hand on the table and stood up, startling the other students as well as Zitao who was now tugging Sehun’s shirt, silently telling him to stop.

 

“How dare you.” Jongin narrowed his eyes and stood up from his feet as well, leveling his glare to the Gryffindor’s. Zitao panicked and didn’t know what to do and thankfully Madam Pince came.

 

“Boys! I’m afraid I’ll have to throw you out from the library for your irresponsibility here!” She nagged.

 

Jongin didn’t say anything and left the library as quickly as possible, going on the left side of the hall, and disappeared right after. Sehun also left the library, only that he went to the right side of the hall, and Zitao hesitated for a moment weather he should chased Jongin or Sehun, but he knew Jongin was never the type to talk to whenever he was angry or pissed, once Zitao tried to talk to him when they lost to Ravenclaw in Quidditch in their 2nd year and that was a bad idea. So he chased the latter.

 

“Sehun wait!”

 

---

 

“Wait— Sehun! Not so fast!”

 

Zitao panted hard, he was chasing his friend and even though Sehun wasn’t running, he was quick paced. He didn’t care if the other students stared weirdly at him, Sehun was now his priority.

 

“Hey!” Zitao tugged Sehun’s arm and he immediately felt horrible seeing his friend’s expression.

 

“I can’t believe you make us grouping together!” He huffed. The other students only passed by in the hall, giving no care at all at the bickering two.

 

“Well, I couldn’t possibly leave him out, can I?” Zitao sighed. “Besides, It wouldn’t be a problem if you two didn’t fight like little kids!”

 

“Didn’t fight? You expect us not to fight?! Zitao, you know he’s practically my biggest rival! And he’s a Slytherin, you know too damn well we don’t match!”

 

“I’m a Slytherin, and yet we’re best friends now.” Zitao softened his eyes.

 

“You said it yourself, you hate him because he always pull out some pranks to you.”

 

“Yes, but not literally that kind of hate. He could be annoying, but he’s actually a nice kid!”

 

“Doubt it. Just look at how he treated me.” Sehun scoffed.

 

“You’re all the same.” Zitao pouted. “And you shouldn’t have said that to him. That’s not very nice.”

 

“What?”

 

“That I was suffering and how my own house treated me?” Zitao pouted some more. “He took a real pride as a Slytherin and your words probably offended him. Besides, he’s one of those people who treat me like a family in my own house, so please apologize to him?”

 

“Apologize?! Never!”

 

“But—“

 

“HUANG ZITAO!!!”

 

Both Zitao and Sehun flinched at the voice and glanced at the end of the hall. There, stomping angrily was a short guy and Judging by his blue robes, he must be a Ravenclaw. He was short with a black hair just like Zitao himself, but he had milky skin and ridiculously large eyes, only that they were staring at Zitao’s rather angrily. Zitao knew the guy since the shorter was part of school’s choir, and he had an amazing voice but Zitao didn’t expect that the soft and angelic voice could be as deadly as a Satan.

 

“You!!” The short guy fumed, his ears were red, which meant he was in a state of almost exploding.

 

“M—me??” Zitao stupidly pointed at himself, he tried to recall what terrible mistake he did that he made a certain Ravenclaw this angry, although Zitao doubt it since he never hang out with the other Ravenclaws except for Yixing.

 

“Yes, you , who else?! You’re one of Slytherin’s prefect right?”

 

Sehun awkwardly stood there, holding Zitao’s hand incase the shorter tried to kill his best friend, though Sehun was long forgotten by the Ravenclaw boy. The short boy now stood in front of the two, face glaring hard at Zitao with both his arms on his hips, tapping his foot impatiently. The entire scene looked just like a mother scolding his two ridiculously tall sons, but not that Sehun would say that out loud.

 

“Umm, sorry? Can I help you?” Zitao asked politely, not wanting to be rude.

 

“Yes, you should come with me.” The short boy swatted Sehun’s hand away from Zitao and dragged the Slytherin boy who was now stumbled on his feet, but Zitao managed to pulled Sehun’s robe as well so they were both now being dragged somewhere by the short boy. He was short, but he did have strength.

 

“W—wait where are we going?!”

 

“Your friend. Your troublemaker friend!” The short boy  angrily said.

 

“Who?? And, who are you??” Zitao panted while being dragged.

 

“5th year Ravenclaw, Do Kyungsoo. Your friend did something horrible to our dormitory!!”

 

“What? Who??”

 

“Kim in Jongin!!” Kyungsoo shouted.

 

Zitao widened his eyes with his mouth hanging opened.

 

“Huh…?”

 

---

 

Zitao and Sehun stood awkwardly behind the short boy who called himself as Kyungsoo. They were now in Ravenclaw’s tower, their common room to be exact, standing by the magnificent door with a bronze eagle-shaped knocker on the door.

 

“Excuse me, but what are you doing?” Kyungsoo arched his brows while he was staring at Sehun who only shrugged in response.

 

“I was dragged by force, just like you did to him.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

Kyungsoo proceeded on staring at the eagle-shaped knocker that actually could speak. Zitao thought maybe it was going to ask some kind of passwords just like his common room.

 

“Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?” the eagle-shaped knocker spoke.

 

Both Zitao and Sehun stared dumbly at the scene, thinking about the answer would be useless as both 4th years were clueless. Kyungsoo then whispered something to the door knocker, being cautious as inviting someone from other houses was risky enough even for everyone, though Zitao and Sehun probably couldn’t even answer the riddle themselves, but still.

 

“Come one, move!”

 

The shorter pulled Zitao inside by force while Sehun silently trailing behind. They stared with awe as the common room had so many windows, the room was airy but content with gigantic bookshelves and a statue of Rowena Ravenclaw. It was indeed a very much contrast sight with Slytherin’s common room with every decorations of serpent, plus they had to live in the dungeon while the Ravenclaws lived in the refreshing tower like this, with clear views of the school grounds, how unfair.

 

“Stop ogling like idiots, come!”

 

Zitao quickly followed the Ravenclaw boy who was now standing in front of the Rowena Ravenclaw’s statue.

 

“Umm..I don’t think we’re supposed to be here—“ Zitao was pointing at both himself and Sehun.

 

“Hush, both of you!” Kyungsoo shouted . “Now look at what your imbecile friend did to our statue!” He angrily pointed at the gigantic statue and Zitao saw nothing.

 

“What? What’s wrong?”

 

“Bloody Merlin’s beard! Look closely!” the shorter shouted and harshly kept pointing at the same spot of the statue.

 

There was nothing at first, but when Zitao looked closely, there were indeed some dirty tinge of colors and an ugly scratchy handwriting.

 

“K…..J…?” Zitao furrowed his brows reading the handwriting.

 

“Exactly! This dirt was here since yesterday and I’m pretty sure that’s your bloody friend who did this disrespectful vandalism!” Kyungsoo shouted.

 

“What?? Who?”

 

“I told you, Kim Jongin, of course!” Kyungsoo flailed his arms in the air due to anger. “The troublemaker kid from your house, who else?!”

 

“What?! Nonsense, Jongin wouldn’t do something like that!” Zitao argued. “He’s a troublemaker but he wouldn’t do such thing! Besides, what makes you think he knows the answer of Ravenclaw’s riddle? He’s too dumb for his own good…” he mumbled.

 

“I saw him bullying some of my juniors in the 2nd floor of boy’s toilet! He must’ve insisted them to tell the answer!” Kyungsoo accused. “And the K.J initial, It only makes my accusation even stronger!”

 

“K.J could be anyone! Kim Jongdae, Kim Jungkook, Kim Joonmyeon, literally anyone!” Zitao huffed rather harshly, now he was getting angry himself. “And did you ask your juniors what Jongin did to them?”

 

“I was also thinking of Jongdae that ty annoying brat from your house, but since he was always in class with me so he was out of questions. I heard Jongin often skip classes, am I right? And Of course the juniors, they wouldn’t tell the truth, they’re too scared!” Zitao thought for a moment, indeed Jongin wasn’t in class yesterday, but still.

 

“Hey, what’s with these shouting all about?”

 

Yixing came down from the stair next to the statue, he was just resting in his room when he heard noisy screams from outside the dormitory. “Zitao? Sehun? What are you doing here?”

 

“Look Yixing, one of his housemate is doing something inappropriate!” Kyungsoo pointed his finger to Zitao, which Zitao protested.

 

“You mean the Slytherins? That’s not really surprising, is it?’ Yixing walked to the three with his usual sleepy face. “So what’s the big deal?”

 

“It’s vandalism, Yixing, unforgiveable! Look!”

 

Yixing squinted his sleepy eyes and examined the statue when he noticed the odds.

 

“Woah, now this is a real deal.” Yixing said. “I’m afraid this is beyond too much. We have to report him to Professor Flitwick.”

 

“Report who? Jongin?” Zitao said desperately. “But he’s innocent, he’s not that kind of kid!”

 

“I’m really sorry Zitao, but Kyungsoo is right, it could be him. Remember that one time when Jongin drew nasty drawings on a Hufflepuff kid’s book?” Yixing stared apologetically. “Besides, your little friend has had a bad reputation to begin with.”

 

“They got a point.” Sehun continued. Zitao stared at his friend with a betrayed look, offended that his best friend was also accusing his friend.

 

“So, you’re gonna report Jongin based on your hunch? And then, what’s going to happen with him?”

 

“Well…” Yixing walked silently and sat on the cushion, exploring the book that was left on the table. “This is serious business, maybe Dumbledore will have to take your house points about a hundredth and fifty. Since Snape cannot be trusted with his obvious favoritism to your own house, so we’ll leave it to the headmaster.” He was silent before continuing,

 

“And…as I heard, if students from part of the Quidditch team were making any troubles, they will be suspended from the game.”

 

“What?!” Both Zitao and Sehun shouted in unison, much to Zitao’s surprise since Sehun also showed some concern.

 

“You can’t suspend him! What about Quidditch?!”

 

“Then Slytherin will instantly out from the game.” Yixing shrugged.

 

“That’s rubbish…” Zitao sighed and crouched down, hiding his frustrated face. Sehun could only stood still with his expressionless face. It was silent for a moment and Kyungsoo suddenly felt guilty seeing the Slytherin boy who looked like he was about to cry.

 

“Can’t you just—do me a favor?” Zitao suddenly said, still crouching but his face was staring at Yixing and Kyungsoo.

 

“What?”

 

“Tell the professor it was me.”

 

Yixing looked down to Zitao with his confused face.

 

“Come again…?”

 

“Tell the professors I did it. It was me.”

 

“Are you mental? Or just a plain idiot?”

 

Zitao stood up to his feet and his face no longer showed and frustration, only eyes filled with determination, great determination, and for a split second Sehun felt shivers down his spine seeing his friend’s sudden change.

 

“I’m not gambling. I told you, Jongin will not do something like this. He’s a nice kid despite his stupid pranks.” Zitao said sternly. “And I will not risk my Quidditch house team who worked so hard for these past few weeks only to be eliminated just because of this ridiculous accusation.”

 

“So you’re saying you’ll take all the blaming?” Kyungsoo asked, getting very much confused. “Why would you risk yourself for a housemate? And a stupid Quidditch team? You know you’re going to get suspended as a prefect if you take all the blame right?”

 

“I don’t care. Take my badge, suspend me, take my house points, whatever, but let Jongin and all the Quidditch team go.” Zitao walked closely to Kyungsoo who was now stumbled on his feet, retreating back as he felt a strong aura from the Slytherin boy.

 

“F—fine.”

 

Without saying anything else, Zitao turned his feet and left the room, while Sehun quickly snapped back in reality and followed his friend, leaving Kyungsoo and Yixing stunned.

 

“What is wrong with him? If I were him, I would just let Jongin getting all the blame instantly rather than getting myself in trouble.” Kyungsoo mumbled.

 

“That’s the point, Kyung.” Yixing spoke.

 

“What is?”

 

“Loyalty and determination, those traits we don’t have in our house.”

 

---

 

Zitao sat silently with Sehun on one of the school bench near the school ground. Only few students were seen walking around, just few hours left before dinner. Sehun didn’t say anything and neither did Zitao since they left Ravenclaw tower, they just sat there with an awkward silence before Sehun broke the cold ice.

 

“You know what will happen to you right?”

 

“Yes, Sehun, I’m very much aware.”

 

“Then why did you do it?” Sehun furrowed his brows. “You know your housemates would only hate you even more if you take all the blames right? I mean, a hundredth and fifty points aren’t just… some points…”

 

Zitao sighed deeply and brought his knee to his chest, burying his face. He then tilted his head so he was facing Sehun who was still furrowing his brows.

 

“What is it?”

 

Zitao fiddled with his robes, puffing his cheeks and Sehun had to hold his urge to pinch them.

 

“Did you know why Slytherins hate me that much?”

 

“…..Well, because you didn’t act like any of them?” Sehun mumbled.

 

“Technically that’s correct, but there’s more.”

 

“Go on.”

 

“First, can you name all of Slytherin’s traits?”

 

“Well…cunning, ambition, loyalty and…determination?”

 

“Correct, but you’re missing something.” Zitao softly laughed.

 

“What? Weird fashion taste?” Sehun jokingly replied which he got a slap from Zitao.

 

“Pride. You’re missing pride.”

 

“Oh…right. Those pureblood maniacs.”

 

“Yep. Those pureblood folks with their pride for purebloods…” Zitao whispered. “Worst place for a mudblood like me.”

 

“I know right—wait, what?” Sehun widened his eyes.

 

“You heard me Sehunnie.” Zitao pouted.

 

“You’re—you’re a muggle born?” Sehun asked very surprised, ignoring the fact that Zitao just called him Sehunnie.

 

“Surprised much?” Zitao teased.

 

“But—how come I never knew?!” Sehun protested.

 

“It’s a sacred secret to Slytherin, they promised to shut up about me being a mudblood so other houses wouldn’t know. Saying I’m a disgrace to our house or something. “ Zitao spoke. “Well, I was going to tell you long time ago but I just kinda forgot.” Zitao shrugged.

 

“You little—!” Sehun tackled his friend to the ground. “Hang on. How is it even possible that you’re in Slytherin? I mean— no muggle born wizard has ever been to Slytherin…even half bloods are rare.”

 

Zitao kept on sprawling on the ground, not caring that he would dirty his robes later.

 

“That’s the question isn’t it? Why did the sorting hat put me in Slytherin?” Zitao pushed Sehun from him and he went back to sitting on the bench with Sehun following after. “When I was sorted into this house, I cried for weeks, asking my parents to just sent me straight back home.” He laughed recalling the past.

 

“I would do the same if I were you.” Sehun laughed along. Zitao stopped laughing right after and a small smile was formed on his beautiful lips.

 

“But you see, our house has always been famous with our cunning traits and too much ambitiousness.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Not to mention, half the dark wizards came from Slytherins, creating some nasty prejudices to us such as evil or bad and stuff. Pretty sure you also think the same...”

 

Sehun didn’t respond to that.

 

“…Now, there’s also this favoritism from others either from professors or students, they tend to go against Slytherins. And I think that’s quite unfair because we’re just students and since people keep seeing us as bad people, half of the Slytherins just went along with it.” Zitao trailed.  He then leaned his head on Sehun’s shoulder. “And maybe that’s why I’m fond to my own house.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Since I was a kid, people had always misjudged me as a bad kid just because I have an intimidating face with eye bags and dark hair, also my dark skin isn’t helping as well.” Zitao chuckled. “That’s why, I understand the feeling of the rest of the Slytherins who constantly being misjudged as a bad person.”

 

Sehun stayed silent hearing his best friend’s confession, he felt guilty for always looking down at those Slytherins. Zitao was in fact a Slytherin, but the boy was sweet and caring and strong. He had lost his wands, hated by his own housemates but still managed to laugh and smile, he had complicated ‘friendship’ with Kris Wu and yet, never Zitao complained or bad mouthing about his own house. Sehun just thought maybe what Zitao said was right, maybe the Slytherins were just tired being misjudged so they just went along with it?

 

“That’s why Sehunnie, I think the sorting hat placed me in Slytherin because it has its own reason…there must be a reason why I was placed in Slytherin…at least that’s what I believe.” Zitao mumbled, his eyes were droopy as he leaned all his body weight to Sehun, not like Sehun minded.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Sehunnie, I’m getting sleepy….” Zitao slowly dozed off.

 

“Just sleep. I’ll wake you up just before dinner.”

 

---

 

Zitao silently stood in front of the Great Hall door along with Sehun beside him. It was dinner time and hours had passed since Zitao told Kyungsoo to just throw all the blame to him. The boy thought it was ridiculous to accuse someone based on self- assumptions, and although Ravenclaws were known as smart and intelligent people, Zitao was sure Jongin was innocent.

 

“Hey, don’t think too much about it.” Sehun assured his best friend.

 

“Sure…” Zitao pouted, clutching Sehun’s robe like a scared kid.

 

“Oh come on, do you want me to sit with you in Slytherin’s table so they could kill the both of us?” Sehun teased.

 

“You’re so not funny.”

 

Zitao sighed deeply. He then walked forward, the Great Hall seemed lively with students chattering, the smell of the food made Zitao’s stomach grumbled so he immediately went to Slytherin’s table only to be glared by his housemates when he came closer, and Zitao knew exactly the reason why. The other houses didn’t seem to notice the hard tension from Slytherin’s table, it was a normal sight after all.

 

“Really Huang? A hundredth and fifty points for vandalism?! You sick bastard!” one girl shouted angrily.

 

“You’re so useless, I don’t know anymore!”

 

“This is why you’re not supposed to be a prefect, you’re a wimp!”

 

Zitao closed his eyes and sighed deeply again, controlling his emotions. He silently sat next to Jongin who was surprisingly eating his dinner without doing anything weird. Zitao assumed the boy was still angry due to the grouping matter earlier in the morning with Sehun, but other than that Zitao wanted to confirm something else from the boy.

 

“Hey, Jongin.”

 

The said boy only continued his eating session with an annoyed face, unaware that Zitao literally just saved his .

 

“So…” Zitao said, filling his empty plates with various foods. “What were you doing yesterday?”

 

Jongin stopped eating and glanced at Zitao, furrowing his brows.

 

“I was shopping in Zonko’s Joke Shop at Hogsmeade.”

 

“Wha—no, not at the weekends, I mean yesterday morning? I didn’t see you at Herbology class so…”

 

“Like I said. I was at the Zonko’s. I skipped class until mid-day.” Jongin shrugged.

 

“Wha— how did you get to Hogsmeade at weekdays?” Zitao asked confused.

 

“I sneaked out. Pretty easy you know.” Jongin smugly said. “I bought various awesome stuffs there. Wanna see ’em?” Jongin grinned, the boy seemed no longer angry, which was a good thing.

 

“No—I mean, so you didn’t go anywhere else?”

 

“Why? Where would I go?”

 

“Like…Ravenclaw tower?” Zitao lowered his voice.

 

“Why on Merlin’s jungle beard would I want to go to their boring common room?” Jongin mocked.

 

“That’s understandable…but I heard you were bullying some Ravenclaw juniors..? Don’t get me wrong, it’s just, you know— prefect stuff.”

 

“If giving your earwax candy from Berty Bott’s Every Flavour Beans were considered as bullying, then yes.” Jongin rolled his eyes.

 

Zitao didn’t expect the answer, but somehow he was relieved. He knew Jongin did nothing, and even though he might pulled some annoying pranks, he was never the type to lie.

 

“That’s very good, Jongin.” Zitao smiled unconsciously.

 

“What? Giving earwax candies?” Jongin laughed. “I still have some, here I’ll give you lots.”

 

“Eww, Don’t be ridiculous!” Zitao cringed, swatting away Jongin’s hand.

 

The two were left bickering with Jongin’s constant hideous laughs when Yongguk who sat across them broke their little friendship time.

 

“You’’ll catch his stupidity if you stick around with him, Jongin.”

 

Yongguk spat while eating his food. The two stopped their bickering and Zitao ducked his head, he had always been afraid of Yongguk.

 

“a little stupidity is needed for someone as smart as me.” Jongin joked, sticking out his tongue to the older.

 

“I meant, you’ll catch the rotten sides of those mudbloods if you keep hanging around with them.” Yongguk glared. “You really disgust me Huang, someday you’ll lead us to the downfall of Slytherin. You should’ve get lost. You don’t belong here.”

 

 

You don’t belong here.

 

 

The words really discouraged the positive side of Zitao and the boy couldn’t hold back his tears anymore, so he quickly left the table and bumped into someone who none other than Kris, the headboy.

 

“Hey, Zitao, are you crying?” Kris asked concerned and before the older could hold Zitao, the boy flee outside, leaving a very confused Kris. The older ought to chase the younger but immediately stopped by his friend.

 

“Leave him, Kris!” Yongguk pulled Kris’ arm across the table.

 

“Did you make him cry again?!” Kris asked angrily.

 

“He deserves it. He took our house points!” Yongguk argued. “A hundredth and fifty points, Kris!”

 

“That’s funny bull.”

 

“Stop defending him and listen to me once.” Yongguk growled.

 

Kris stood silent before he harshly grabbed Yongguk’s collar and dragging the other boy across the table, making a huge scene just in the Great Hall, even other houses stared at them. The rest of the Slytherins didn’t dare to stop the headboy, they knew facing Kris Wu’s wrath was one of the most unlucky experience they could imagine.

 

“No, you listen to me you little .” Kris whispered, deadly as a venom. “I just talked to the professors and our house points are being returned due to the false accusation of Zitao.” He glared. “He literally just saved our asses, you ungrateful bastard.”

 

Yongguk gasped for air and grabbed Kris’ hand to free himself only to stumbled on his feet when Kris threw him on the floor.

 

“F—false accusation?” Yongguk said in the middle of coughing.

 

“I got the report from a Ravenclaw prefect. He apologized for all the troubles. It’s all done.” Kris said. The headboy now glared to the rest of the Slytherins. “You know, you guys always treated Zitao with disgusts and hatred, and yet he took all the blame just to save our Quidditch team to not get eliminated. He doesn’t even like Quidditch.” Kris said in a disappointment. The Slytherins only stared to their feet, feeling ashamed for what they did. The rest of the Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and Gryffindors, including Sehun, only watched the entire scene silently, forgetting their foods.

 

“But why did he take all the blame?” Amber, a 7th year Slytherin asked Kris out of curiosity.

 

Kris glanced to Jongin for a split second and ran a hand through his silver locks, sighing deeply.

 

“He was protecting someone from our house.” Kris spoke. “That’s great loyalty I don’t see in any of you. He still thinks of us despite how we treated him. He’s one of the pride of Slytherin.”

 

And just like that Kris left, leaving the once lively Great Hall in silent.

 

---

 

“Zitao?”

 

Kris knocked Zitao’s bedroom door for the fifth time and the younger had no intention of letting the older in. Zitao used a simple locking door charm, locking himself inside his own bedroom.

 

“Hey, can I come in?”

 

There were only sniffles from inside Zitao’s bedroom, so they boy must had been crying. Kris sighed in defeat and took his wand from his pocket.

 

Aberto.”

 

The door quickly unlocked itself, so Kris took the liberty to let himself inside, and when he opened the door, there was a huge bundle of curl under a blanket from Zitao’s bed.

 

“Hey.” Kris poked Zitao who was now hiding under his blanket.

 

“Here.” Zitao sniffed, not moving an inch, but he extended his hand from the blanket. “You’re here to take this right?”

 

Kris arched his brow, taking the thing Zitao gave him. It was a prefect badge.

 

“What’s with this?”

 

Zitao peeked from the blanked and Kris could see the pouty form on his lips, the older couldn’t hold his chuckles seeing his cute junior acting all sulky.

 

“Now that I’m suspended, you can now take my badge.”

 

“Oh? And who says you’re suspended?” Kris hummed, sitting at the edge of Zitao’s bed.

 

“Come on Kris, you know I took a hundredth and fifty points from our house! Tell me I’m not suspended.” Zitao mocked, curling himself even more.

 

“And you think I believe that bull?”

 

Zitao stayed silent for a moment and slowly sitting up, peeking his face but still covering his whole body with his blanket. “You don’t?”

 

“Of course. My little peach wouldn’t do that, would he?” Kris teased.

 

“Kris!”

 

“Alright, alright. When the house points drop off was announced, I asked the professors what the hell happened. They said you were the one who vandalized the Ravenclaw’s statue, so I immediately checked the scene myself.”

 

“And?”

 

“Boy, I thought the Ravenclaws were smart. There were tinge of colors on the statue, and I instantly knew that was the color from school’s paintings.” Kris spoke. “Don’t you think it’s too odd, when the paintings from the Grand Staircases were gone, and yet there were bits of painting colors left on the statue?”

 

“So that means….” Zitao gasped.

 

“Someone who made the paintings alive and the one who vandalized the statue, they’re the same person.” Kris smiled. “I hate that I still have no idea who the hell this culprit is, but I couldn’t help telling the professors about those paintings and the frames, or the lady in blue.” Kris sighed.

 

“Wow…so the professors agreed to return our house points?”

 

“Correct. I got Snape on my back, so it’s pretty easy.” Kris laughed.

 

“Woah…you’re…you’re amazing…” Zitao mumbled

 

“No, I think you are.” Kris whispered, Zitao’s fluffy hair. “What you did for our Quidditch team, if it wasn’t because of you we wouldn’t be able to kick those Gryffindor’s asses this week.” Kris laughed, and he stared fondly to Zitao. Zitao’s heart skipped a beat, he thought he would die. He always felt this way whenever he was with Kris, just by seeing the older made him suffocated and he didn’t understand why. He was never felt this way to Sehun or Jongin, even Jongdae and he was getting nervous.

 

“Thank you.” Kris whispered. Zitao was confused on why the older was thanking him, but he smiled anyway. Kris loved the younger’s cat-like smile, right now Zitao looked beautiful in his eyes pretty much everytime though.

 

“But I can’t believe you actually sacrificed yourself for Jongin. That guy doesn’t even worth it.” Kris mumbled.

 

“What are you talking about?” Zitao frowned. “I would do anything for my precious ones. Of course, who won’t?”

 

Kris wasn’t expecting the answer, and the older only stared dumbly before taken aback when Zitao looked into the elder’s eyes with determination, forcing the older to stare into Zitao’s eyes. For a moment, Kris saw sparks on Zitao’s orbs that left the older speechless.

 

“You’re precious too, gege. I will do the same to you.”

 

Kris’ saliva suddenly stuck in his throat, he felt butterflies in his stomach just by hearing the younger’s words. Zitao was sweet and caring, he was also a crybaby but the boy’s straightforward confession melted the elder’s cold heart. Zitao was definitely Kris’ weakness.

 

“Kris? You there?”

 

Zitao waved his hand in front of the elder’s face, snapping Kris back to reality.

 

“Huh? What?” Kris asked annoyed. He was pissed because one time Zitao would sweetly called him gege, and the other time the younger would just call him “Kris”. He thought why couldn’t the younger just stick with one nickname, for example, calling him gege would be way cuter.

 

Wait what?

 

“You were spacing out.” Zitao laughed.

 

“I was?” Kris mocked while pinching Zitao’s cheek. “By the way, you’re not forgetting this Thursday night right?”

 

“Huh? What about it?” Zitao asked, giving up on swatting away Kris’ hand from his cheek.

 

“My birthday party. The night before the match. Don’t tell me you forgot?” Kris frowned.

 

Zitao widened his eyes, bloody hell he thought, he totally forgot. He had been planning to continue making Kris present just after he finished classes, but thanks to a long—exhausting day, Zitao completely lost himself.

 

“Well, no matter. As long as you’re coming.” Kris shrugged.

 

“Of course I’ll come.” Zitao laughed.

 

“Promise?”

 

Kris showed his pinky finger, playfully wiggling it in front of Zitao’s face which caused the younger to giggle hard.

 

 

“Promise.”  

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s appearance! Hurraayy!

 

You guys are probably wondering why the hell this chapter is so damn long, but before I explain, let me just apologize first because of the late update (took me some time writing a longer chapter) :”(

 

So I will be having an entire week of workshop discussion in my university starting from Wednesday, and I’m afraid I won’t have any time to write this fics due to my tight schedule (and assignments lol). This chapter is written longer because sadly I will not be updating next week >.< I’m really sorry!

 

I hope you’re enjoying this chapter (this one is a bit random huehue), and the next one will be Kris’ birthday and the Quidditch match!

 

Love, author<3