Replay

Book II: Drunk

10 months after that fateful night...

"Babe? Babe, wake up... Sungjae-ah...get up, jebal.."

He was awake, but he kept his eyes closed. With a smile, he reached over the other side of his bed. He readied his fingers to tickle her, grab her waist, and pull her closer for a hug.

Empty.

She wasn't there.

Sungjae realized he had woken up to the sound of his alarm of Sooyoung's recorded voice. He rolled out of bed, only to sit back down beside it, hugging his knees. It's been like this for the last few weeks. Waking up was the hardest part of his day.

Staring into space, Sungjae tried to divert his thoughts to his schedule. He grabbed his phone to check on his calendar. His finger slid across the screen to unlock it. Joy's candid smile welcomed his eyes. It was a stolen shot he took when she cracked up at the sight of Sungjae tripping over Sami's toy. Crap! First the alarm, now this! he thought.

Deciding to start his day, he leaned back to the side of his bed to pull himself up. Taking a shower and getting dressed never felt so dragging yet quick. He stepped out of his room and walked into the kitchen, while buttoning up his crisply ironed, white collared shirt.

Seeing Sungjae so put together and ready, his hyungs sat frozen around the island counter. "Sungjae-ah! Good morning!" Eunkwang chimed in an exaggeratingly cheerful way, breaking the awkward silence. He passed by Changsub, who still had his spoon of cereals in mid air and mouth open. Eunkwang grabbed Changsub's arm and guided the spoon towards his mouth. He continued walking over to Sungjae and reached to fix his collar. Once done, he patted his shoulder, as if to reassure Sungjae that everything will be fine.

"You're a bit early to be ready like that. Did you sleep at all?" Hyunsik told him. "A bit?! Two hours isn't considered as 'a bit'!" Changsub retorted. "Geez! For a minute there I thought WE were running late!"

"Sorry, hyung, force of habit. Besides, it's better than having to rush to the venue." Sungjae reasoned. "Go easy on him, Changsub-ah." Eunkwang whispered.

Sungjae sighed and shook his head. "Hyung, I appreciate you trying to look out for me, but I'm okay! I'll be in my room, let me know when we're leaving." With that, Sungjae marched to his ròom and made sure to lock the door.

He can't remember when he started hating breakfast. All he knows is that he never fails to imagine the memory of Sooyoung awkwardly reaching across that damn island counter, in an attempt to feed him for the first time.

Everything he saw, heard, and places he went to reminded him of her. He hated it because he knew that when a certain memory came to mind, it always ends up with that scene in his head. And as expected, because of the sight of that godforsaken island counter, his wallpaper, and phone alarm...the night of their breakup replayed in his mind.