Chapter 2

Soft Hearts, Electric Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung is impatient on the edge of his seat in each meeting he is subjected to, biting his nails a bad habit that he had kicked years ago that has somehow returned now. He is anxious, waiting for the perfect time that he can finally go back home.

Home never excited Taehyung this much before. It was a place where he went to sleep spending late nights in his office working because working kept his mind off things while being alone in the house he was bombarded with bad thoughts.

But now he has something to look forward to when he gets home.

Hoseok.

Just the thought of it and he has a playful smile on his face. He wonders what Hoseok must be doing all day. He hopes he wasn’t working. Taehyung was pretty firm with his orders so maybe Hoseok did stay put.

When the clock hits exactly 6 pm Taehyung is already on his feet to go home. He grabs his bag and phone and leaves his phone.

“Sir…,” his secretary calls out. “Sir, you have a business dinner in an hour”

“What?” Taehyung asks confused.

“Yes,” she says standing up. “You fixed it a week ago”

Taehyung sighs scratching his forehead.

“Who is it with again?”

“Kwon Ltd.’s managing director” she answers.

Taehyung sighs again. He can’t cancel this on one. Frustrated, he goes back inside in his cabin.

He had been looking forward to seeing Hoseok all day today and now he has to wait for some stupid business dinner to discuss more pointless things. His head already hurts. Taehyung pops a pill to help with the pain and when it’s time he sets out to the business dinner.

It’s at a restaurant at the other end of the town and since he let his driver have the day off he has no choice but to drive himself there.

Taehyung manages to reach soon enough that he is not too early but also not late enough for it to be considered rude. Taehyung wonders why a silly thing like this matter so much in the business world.

He sees Choi the managing director of Kwon Ltd. seated on one of the center tables joined by another of the directors Shin. Taehyung presses his lips into a smile he deems polite enough as he makes his way to the table. He bows at them.

“Sorry, if I am late gentlemen,” he says as he sits.

“Oh, don’t be we just got here,”

Taehyung smiles a little.

A waiter makes his way to their table.

“Ah,” Choi says. “What would you like Mr. Kim?”

“Anything is fine really,”

“Please get us a Château Palmer Margaux 2009,” he says. “And a seared salmon for me”

Choi now looks at Taehyung.

“Same for me thank you,” Taehyung says to the waiter.

The other director gets the same thing and the waiter leaves with a bow.

They talk a bit about business; make boring jokes have obligatory laughs, eating with unnecessarily small bites.

Choi takes the bill and they get ready to leave but Taehyung is not yet free to go home yet. Instead, they are going to a place ‘very special’.

The place is tucked away on the top floor of the building, two buffed up guys stand in guard looking straight ahead but they ask no questions to Choi, maybe he is quite the regular.

The place has glaring pink neon lights, slow music playing a very strong floral scent wafting through the air. If it were up to Taehyung he would leave in a second but that is rude and he doesn’t want to make a bad impression.

They make their way in a room the place lined with velvet couches. Taehyung catches a glimpse of Choi’s face his eyes full of lust as he sits cross-legged. Taehyung follows his view and sees a woman walking on the stage she is wearing a police outfit. She confidently struts towards them and begins ing her shirt. Taehyung feels uncomfortable.

She tosses her shirt aside and Taehyung sees both of the directors shift in their seats as the woman reaches for her shorts and teasingly slides her down her legs. Her eyes are on Taehyung as she gets down her face close to him. Taehyung can smell her hair vaguely of strawberries and her floral perfume. He wants to get away. He digs into the pockets of his trousers and takes out some cash. She sticks out her waist and Taehyung hooks into the elastic of her shorts careful not to touch her. She smiles a seductive smirk her hands tracing his jawline before she struts off back to the stage.

Taehyung sits up straighter as the woman walks off but another one a blonde tall foreigner enters barely wearing anything and climbs onto the dancing pole while a waitress who is scantily clad as well makes a shot of whiskey for each of them and the leaves the bottle still there.

Taehyung is focusing on drinking now the blonde woman has chosen Shin who seems like he has never had a woman this close to him before. She is sitting on his lap and slowly their lips connect for some reason Taehyung is overcome with disgust. He has a wife and three children and so does Choi but neither of them has any conscience of cheating on their spouse.

Taehyung drowns ever last bit of whiskey and reaches over to refill his glass to hold himself together when Choi stops him with a grip on his waist.

“Kim, the whiskey’s gonna be there,” he says with a chuckle. “Why don’t you try to have some fun?”

Taehyung forces a chuckle out himself.

“I don’t feel like I’m in the mood”

Choi laughs loud.

“These women will put even a gay man into mood.” He says. “I mean…just look at them”

Taehyung laughs internally at the joke but doesn’t say anything.

“Ah…let me guess,” he says. “Are you faithful to some woman in your life?”

Before Taehyung can open his mouth Choi laughs.

“It’s no use,” he says. “Women wither away…us men can never be faithful we aren’t made to be…we will always go after the hotter and fresher one”

Taehyung forces a smile.

“I mean look at me,” he says. “I can barely look at my wife that way that’s why I come here…in a few years, you will understand what I mean…love and all that is fickle and just for movies and books”

A woman makes his way towards Choi and he pulls her down and she stumbles falling right on his lap. She fakes the loudest giggle. Taehyung watches as Choi’s hands make his way to her waist when he looks at Taehyung.

“This…this is the real stuff,” he says.

Taehyung finishes the remaining shot of whiskey. The two men are too into kissing the women and Taehyung is getting increasingly uncomfortable.

He stands up grabbing his coat.

“I’ll take my leave men,” he says. “Thank you for the dinner”

Shin looks at him.

“You should have some fun,” he says.

“Some other time,” Taehyung assures him.

As Taehyung leaves he hopes there will never be another time, but things are like these are unavoidable in business dinners with men and even though  Taehyung has been to so many of these he can never get used to them and always makes any lame excuse he can find to leave and today was no different.

It’s already 1:00 am Taehyung sees the watch as he increases the speed of the car just a little. He had so many plans for the day which all went down the drain and he misses Hoseok so much he is so anxious just to get a glimpse of other’s face to see if he is okay.

It’s almost irrational that Taehyung is worrying about Hoseok so much because Hoseok is not a normal human and can lift ten times of his weight and is equipped with all kinds of combat or at least that is what they said to him when he went to the very private conference of Lee Corp where they first unveiled about how they are working on a one of a kind technology a robot that is equipped to serve every need of a human, with artificial intelligence and a being with empathy. The kind of technology that was to make waves in the technology world, something that had never been done before and Lee Corp. was set to change the world with their invention.

That was over two years ago and Taehyung remembers sitting in his car on the way back home his hands around the yellow handbook that highlighted everything about the robot. Taehyung spent that night reading it every word, and being in awe of the factor of it being highly customizable and it could literally serve any need of a human. Taehyung wasn’t quite to form proper thought over it.

That week he made a proposition to the board about making an investment and the vote was 5-1, the one being Taehyung. The company came to the decision of not investing in the project there were too many risks, too many inconsistencies, and contingencies. It was simply not a good business decision but Taehyung’s mind was still on it as he read through the handbook twice again.

Two weeks later he went in and placed an order in private. Taehyung was never positive about most things but a voice inside him told him that this would be worth it and just two years later he knows the voice was right.

Taehyung finally reaches home. It’s now 1:45 am and Taehyung is beyond exhausted as he waits in the elevator wanting nothing more than to fall asleep on his bed preferably with Hoseok’s arms around him just like yesterday. He doesn’t remember the last time he slept that well.

Taehyung steps inside the house and turns the lights on making his way to the kitchen when he turns the lights on he jumps back scared at seeing the figure sat on the breakfast bar. It’s Hoseok looking directly at him.

“Jesus Hoseok,” Taehyung says placing his hand on his chest. “You scared me”

Hoseok is off his seat and bowing at Taehyung.

“I am very sorry,” he says.

“Ah, it’s okay,” Taehyung waves him off, “Don’t apologize please”

Hoseok nods standing up straight.

“What were you doing here?”

“You told me not…to do anything,” Hoseok says. “So I did nothing just like you told me to”

“Well,” Taehyung says with a sigh. “You didn’t have to just sit in the dark you could have sat somewhere nice”

“I have night vision,” Hoseok smiles. “30 times sharper than that of an owl”

Taehyung’s eyes widen.

“Wow that’s impressive,” he says not knowing what else to say.

Hoseok only smiles.

Taehyung grabs a glass and fills it with water gulping it all down on one go.

“We should you know go to my bedroom,” Taehyung says awkwardly. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter