Chapter 1

Soft Hearts, Electric Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung sits at the end of the table his hand rested on his chin, staring out of the window as everyone around him is talking. He had stopped listening in the first five minutes as they kept on babbling about the sales figures of his company had a drastic increase in the past six months.

Normally, he would listen. But today is not the day.

Lost in his thoughts he doesn’t hear one of the directors calling his name.

“Mr. Kim,” Mr. Kang says for the third time.

“Sorry, you were saying?” Taehyung asks.

“What do you think about diverting some of our expenses to more advertising? It might increase our revenue?”

“Yeah, it’s perfect,” Taehyung says absent-mindedly scratching his head as he looks at his watch.

Time seems to pass painfully slowly today.

The rest of the directors return to discussing the company and how they can curtail some expenses and Taehyung zones out again.

After a painful two hours, the meeting is finally over.

Taehyung watches the directors leave as his assistant comes in.

She is dressed in a white shirt and a black pencil skirt which outrageously high heels, Taehyung always wonder how she walks in them. Her brown hair is tied up in a bun a few strands falling on her face.

“Mr. Kim,” she says. “You have a meeting…”

Taehyung cuts her off.

“What time is it?”

“3:30 pm, sir,” she answers glancing at her watch.

“Cancel it,”

“The meetings, sir?” she asks.

“Yes, cancel everything I have for the day,”

“But sir…”

“I cannot be bothered,” Taehyung said. “I have got stuff to do”

“All right sir,” she says leaving.

Taehyung gets up putting his coat on. He is excited which says a lot because he hardly gets excited about anything at all these days.

He leaves the conference room and takes an elevator downstairs. As he leaves he sees his employees freeze on their spots until he finally exits the building.

There he finds his driver ready for him.

“Where to?” he asks.

“Home,” Taehyung says as he gets in. “Wait I have some errands to run on the way”

“Okay sir,” his driver says as he starts the car.

Taehyung checks his watch. He is growing impatient now. But he has to make some stops on the way.

The first one is at the florist.

He walks in greeted by the smell of fresh flowers.

The girl who is taking care of the flowers flashes a smile.

“What can I do for you, sir?”

“I want flowers, obviously,” he says with a nervous smile.

“Any special occasion?” she asks.

“I am meeting someone special for the very first time,”

“Oooh,” she says.”Interesting”

“What do you suggest?” Taehyung asks.

“Well, it certainly depends on what kind of a person they are. Are they happy with simple things or do they like something a little more thoughtful?”

Taehyung didn’t know how to answer this fairly simple question.

“It depends,” he mumbles. “But I want to make sure it makes them really happy”

“Okay,” she says thinking for a second. “How about a beautiful bouquet of roses, especially for a first meeting”

“All right,” Taehyung says. “But I hope it's good enough”

“I am sure they will love it, sir,” she says. “You cannot go wrong with roses”

Taehyung nods with a smile.

“Follow me,” she says.

Taehyung follows her into the shop as she picked out one of the bouquets. It looks so beautiful, Taehyung is mesmerized. He is sure that this would make a good impression or he hopes it does.

“Here you go,” she says handing him the bouquet. “Your total will be…”

Before she could finish Taehyung takes out a few notes from his wallet handing her the money.

“But sir…”

“Keep it,” he says. “You’ve been a great help”

He feels especially generous. The girl is nice and a good help and also he is exceptionally happy today.

“Uh thanks,” she says hesitantly.

Taehyung flashes a smile before leaving the store.

He heads right into his car one hand securely over the bouquet.

“We have to go my favorite bakery next,” Taehyung says.

His driver simply nods.

They make a stop there soon and this time Taehyung is more confident with his order.

He orders a strawberry cheesecake. It’s a special thing, a little inside secret.

With that, he leaves the store paying extra. He just wants to spread his happiness.

“Straight to home now please,” he says as he gets into the car. The bouquet and cheesecake lie beside him. He stares at them fondly.

Taehyung wonders if this would be impressive enough. Would he get happy when he sees everything that Taehyung has done?

Sure, it’s not a lot but thoughtful gestures don’t come easily to Taehyung.

The drive isn’t long and soon Taehyung’s apartment comes into view.

The driver stops the car.

“Park,”

“Yes, sir?”

“You can have the next two days off,”

“Sir,”

“It’s fine. I’ll have someone else drive me or I’ll drive myself,” Taehyung says. “You go spend some time with your wife and daughter”

Park smiles widely.

“Thank you so much sir,” he says.

“It’s no problem,” Taehyung says.

Park bows as Taehyung leaves and goes inside the building his hand holding the bouquet and the cheesecake.

He gets into the elevator and presses the button of the top floor.

Taehyung’s excitement has grown much more.

When the elevator makes a ding sound and the door opens he steps out. His legs feel wobbly which is strange because he never gets this nervous.

“Aah Mr. Kim,” he sees a man approaching him. “We’ve been just waiting for you”

“How is everything getting along?” he asks.

“Everything is going perfect sir; you don’t have to worry at all”

“Okay, okay”

“Would you like to see sir?”

“Not yet,” Taehyung says.

He doesn’t want to be surrounded by anyone when he finally gets to see. He wants to be alone and cherish the moment,

“All right,” the man says.

“How long will it take?” Taehyung asks impatiently.

“We are almost done with the installation,” the man replies. “Now we have to run a trial or two and then it’s ready”

Taehyung simply nods as he leaves the room but not before taking one glance inside where the workers are busy with the installation. He doesn’t dare look more. He wants the moment to be special so Taehyung forces himself out of the lobby.

He spots one of his maids dusting.

“Would you please put in the fridge?” he asks giving her the cheesecake and the bouquet.

“Yes, sir,”

“And also get me a glass of water,”

She nods leaving.

Taehyung is on the seat impatiently tapping his legs, a nervous habit. He is worried that this isn’t gonna be successful that something will go wrong. And it’s certainly not because of the hefty sum of money he paid for it but because he has let himself hope too much and if this doesn’t work out Taehyung doesn’t think he could be able to hold himself together.

The maid returns with a glass of icy water. Taehyung gulps it all down in one go and asks for more, another nervous habit.

Just as Taehyung is sitting waiting patiently he sees the same man from earlier walking towards him a big smile on his face.

“We finished the installation and all the trials sir,” he says. “It’s perfect”

Taehyung can’t hold his grin.

“Thank you so much,” he says.

“Sir, you can come with us and we will show you and give you a demonstration…,”

“Ah, no need for it,” Taehyung says. “I’ll figure out it myself”

“Are you sure sir?”

“Yes, absolutely, I mean there must be a user’s manual,”

“Of course there is,” the man answers. “We have left all of those in your room”

“Okay, then it’s no worry,”

“But if you do need our help with anything at all please make sure to call us we will get right back to you,”

“Okay sure,”

“And you are required to sign on this,” the man says. “Since this is a product that is still in developmental stages I’ll have to read you the risks, the terms…”

“No need.” Taehyung waves it off as he takes the pen from the man’s hand and signs the paper.

He is desperate to get everyone out and have some time for himself.

“All right sir this is all the formalities then,” the man says. “Our service, for now, is done and we truly hope you enjoy the product”

The man finishes with a bow and Taehyung bows back.

“Thank you,”

The man signals to the workers who had been standing at the back and they all bow and walk off from the room.

Taehyung watches them all go and then jumps with a little squeal. His happiness knows no bounds today.

Two years that’s how long he had to wait for all of this, two years of nothing but little hope to cling on to and now that it’s real Taehyung still can’t believe it.

Taehyung takes a deep breath as he sees his maid returning with a glass of water.

“Ah thank you,” he says taking the glass. “You can leave now”

The maid makes a surprised face.

“Tell the others too you can all leave right now and also have the day off tomorrow with pay of course,” he finishes with a smile.

The maid smiles and bows at Taehyung.

“Thank you so much, sir,” she says as she leaves.

Taehyung is now alone in the house. He closes the main door and sighs. This is it, he thinks.

The first thing Taehyung does is to take a shower, a long hot nice shower that doesn’t last too long but helps him calms his nerves because he feels nervous and jittery.

When he is done with it, he changes into a simple white shirt and a pair of jeans something that he would dress in quite often a stark contest to his current wardrobe filled with business suits but it feels good on his skin.

Taehyung brushes through his freshly blow-dried hair that fall into bangs on his forehead. Taehyung looks a lot like he did in high school only older. He smiles to himself as he heads to the fridge and takes out the cheesecake and the bouquet.

He walks on the stairs one careful step each time, his heart beat only increasing.

Finally, he reaches his door.

Taehyung’s hands rest on the doorknob for a whole minute before he musters up the courage to turn it. The door opens wide and the first thing Taehyung’s eyes land upon is the tall figure at the side of the wall covered with a gray sheet of some kind.

Taehyung’s knees feel wobbly as he closes the door and places the bouquet and cheesecake on the table beside the door and with slow small steps, he walks towards the figure.

At first, he doesn’t dare to touch it but slowly he puts his hands on the sheet and pulls it down in a swift moment. The sheet falls on the floor and Taehyung stumbles backward gripping the bedpost to not fall.

The sight in front of him can’t be real he thinks as he feels involuntary tears fall down his cheeks, despite telling himself he will not cry. Here he is, with fresh tears in his eyes because it’s finally real. He had never thought this could be a reality and now that it is Taehyung just can’t believe it.

He looks exactly the way Taehyung remembers him yet different in the way that his mouth is a thin straight line instead of the usual smile, his eyes closed.

He is completely and Taehyung hesitantly makes his way to touch him on his waist. It feels so real and warm and Taehyung can see the little moles that litter his skin just like he remembers them to be. He is even the same exact height as he was. Taehyung reaches over to touch his hair and it’s as soft as he has always known as slowly he touches his face and it all feels so overwhelmingly real that Taehyung has to take a step back.

He remembers his work isn’t done yet and notices the supposed user manual on the table along with what seems like a little remote control. Taehyung picks up the user manual and begins reading. Most of its basic stuff and Taehyung feels like he has already gotten a hold of it as he closes the manual and keeps it aside. He clutches the remote in his hand and presses the power button with his shaky thumb.

Instantly his eyes open the same shade of brown as Taehyung remembers and a wave of memories hit Taehyung.

His mouth is still in a straight line as he looks around before making eye contact with Taehyung.

The figure bows immediately.

“Greetings master, I’m Model 0001, the first in the kind of revolutionary technology of Lee Corp. a robot designed as a human to serve every possible need of yours”

The voice is the same too. Taehyung had made sure it was. After all, his voice was an important part of all of this.

But Taehyung hates the submissive and professional tone and the fact that he is still bowing.

“Stand up,” he says.

The figure does so.

“Call me Taehyung,”

“Okay master,”

“Not master its Taehyung,” Taehyung repe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter