Chapter 3

A Heartless Android

    You listened to the CD Krystal gave you Friday, as soon as you got home for the day. However you wait until Saturday to text her just to avoid seeming too eager, though part of you knows that shouldn’t even be something you’re concerned about.


 

You: Hey I listened to that CD and I loved it! I also looked up some of that band’s other stuff. I think I’m addicted

 

    You try to focus on something else while you wait for her to reply, but it’s proving to be difficult. Even after ten minutes, you’re still too anxious to hear back from her to do anything productive.

 

    You inwardly curse yourself. You shouldn’t be this excited just to text with someone.

 

    It takes over an hour, but around 6pm she responds

 

Krystal: That’s great to hear! Sorry I didn’t write you back sooner

 

You: No problem :)

 

Krystal: Are you doing anything tonight?

 

You: Not really. Why?

 

Krystal: Would you want to come over? Maybe we could look up some music together. I live in the same building, just a floor up

 

You: That sounds good to me. What’s your dorm number?


 

    Despite your casual tone while texting, you’re grinning so widely that your cheeks hurt. The thought of hanging out with Krystal without a time limit is incredible. Hell, the fact that she even likes you enough to invite you to her dorm is incredible.




 

    Krystal opens the door with a smile on her face, “Hey, come on in.”

 

    You do exactly as asked; following behind her as she leads you to her couch. You have to admit, she looks cute. Her hair is up in a sloppy ponytail, and she’s wearing a loose long sleeved shirt with sweatpants. It kind of amazes you that she can make such a thrown together outfit look so good.

 

    Krystal had asked you to wear some comfy clothes over, and you had. You can’t help but think that there’s no way you can look nearly as good in your own sweatpants and t-shirt.

 

    She sits on the couch with her legs under herself and you take a seat about a foot away.

 

    “I was thinking that we could look around the internet for some weird bands or music videos. You know, I really appreciate unique artistry but…”

 

    “But sometimes things get a little too weird.”, You finish.

 

    She smiles, “Yeah. And maybe you could show be some more bands that you’re into.”

 

    You can’t fight against the grin that forms on your lips, “I’d like that.”

 

    Before you two can even get started, Krystal’s phone rings, she glances at the screen and gives you an apologetic smile before answering.

 

    You start messing around on your own phone; ignoring Krystal’s conversation as much as possible to respect her privacy. However, it’s hard to do that when she’s right beside you. The conversation definitely isn’t a completely pleasant one. She’s obviously frustrated with whoever it is. After over a minute, when the calm speaking turns into arguing, she stands and walks into her room.

 

    It’s at least five minutes before Krystal reappears, “Sorry about that.” She says as she sits back down beside you.

 

    “That seemed like it got intense.”, You say jokingly, in an attempt to lighten the mood.

 

    She chuckles, “Yeah. Clingy boyfriend problems. He thinks we should spend every moment of our free time together. He was complaining about me not texting him back even though we just went on a date a few hours ago. It’s like he’s going to die if we’re not at least texting. It’s so stupid. I know he wants my world to revolve around him, but that’s not going to happen. I love him, but I also have school, friends, and I like some time alone, too.”

 

    You listen silently to her venting. It’s pretty nice to have at least a little insight into her personal life.

 

    “He has this unrealistic idea of how relationships should be,” Krystal continues, “The whole ‘other half’, ‘love at first sight’, ‘soulmate’ stuff.”

 

    You feel a smile forming on your lips, “Sounds like you don’t believe in that.”

 

    She scoffs, “Not at all. There’s thousands, maybe even millions, of people in the world that I could get along with romantically. I could absolutely live a fulfilling life with any of them. He just happened to get to me first.” She pauses to think before adding, “Love feels good. I mean, you do get attached to the person, and that person is obviously one of a kind. I just think… I don’t know… We shouldn’t be attached at the hip 24/7.”

 

    Krystal looks at you a little timidly, “I know that all might sound kind of cold, but it’s how I feel.”

 

    “Actually, I completely get it.”

 

    Immediately Krystal’s expression perks up, “Really?”

 

    “Absolutely. It kills me to see so many people relying on movies and books to dictate their love life.”

 

    “I think you’re the first person I’ve met that feels the same way. How’s your boyfriend feel about it?”

 

    Automatic panic makes you freeze for a second before you pull yourself together, “I’m single. I plan on staying that way all through college. It’s hard enough to get by without a bunch of fluffy hormones clouding my brain.”

 

    Krystal laughs, “I don’t know. Those fluffy hormones really help out at times. It’s nice to have someone to be so close to. Physically and emotionally. Relationships are a lot of work, though.”

 

    You smile, “My luck I’d end up pining after someone who doesn’t feel the same way or getting my heart broken. So I just avoid romance altogether.”

 

    Krystal hums, “I understand. Even though I have all these logical philosophies about love, it’s still so easy to get attached to the wrong person. Despite everything, I’ve been hurt a few times.”

 

    You find yourself staring at her, wondering what kind of person wouldn’t return her feelings. Afterall, she’s not just gorgeous, she’s intelligent, and from what you’ve seen has a great personality.

 

    “Hey, are you zoning out on me?’, Krystal’s voice pulls you out of your thoughts.

 

    “Sorry.”, You say with an embarrassed smile.

 

    “No problem.”, Krystal gives you a good natured smile.

 

    You stay at her dorm listening to music and talking until a little passed 10. You feel really good. It feels amazing to be making a new friend; no matter how corny that sounds. You’re still nervous around her, but not nearly as much as when you first met. Hopefully, that nervousness will go away with time.




 

    You could almost be mad at yourself for missing Krystal coming over on Thursday. However, some friends you hadn’t seen for quite awhile had asked to hangout, and just couldn’t turn them down.

 

    When you walk into your dorm Amber is sitting on the couch and you plop down right beside her.

 

    “How’s studying going?”, You ask.

 

    “Good. Krystal was bummed that you weren’t here.”

 

    You laugh, “I doubt that.”

 

    Amber smiles at you, “I’m serious. When I told her you weren’t home I swear she looked like a kicked puppy.”

 

    “You’re exaggerating.”

 

    “Nope. You should text her. I’m afraid she’ll fall into a depressive spiral if you don’t.”

 

    You roll your eyes, but still take out your phone.

 

You: Hey :)

 

Krystal: Hey! I’ve got a question for you

 

You: Oh?

 

Krystal: How would you feel about going to a concert with me Saturday?

 

You: I think that sounds amazing. What kind of concert?

 

Krystal: A really bad one. It’s an outdoor concert with all local bands. Admission is only $7. Starts at 4 ends at around 10

 

You: I’m definitely on board

 

Krystal: Awesome! We can take my car there


 

    You continue typing to her asking about her day and things like that. Since you came over to her dorm last Saturday you two have been texting more. Not just that, but you’ve ventured into talking about things that aren’t music related.

 

    “You texting Krystal?”, Amber asks from beside you.

 

    “Yep.”

 

    “I can tell. You’re grinning like an idiot.”

 

    You hadn’t even noticed, but she’s right. You’ve been smiling at your phone since you started texting her.

 

    “She asked me to go to a concert with her this weekend.”, You say simply.

 

    “Sounds like a date.”

    

    You playfully nudge her, “It’s not. We don’t like each other like that, and she has a boyfriend.”

 

    A small smile appears on Amber’s lips, “I think she might be more interested in you.”

 

    You snort, “I think you’re imagining things just because you want me to date someone.”

 

    “I definitely didn’t imagine how sad she was after she found out you weren’t here. And the differences in the way she talks about her boyfriend verses how she talks about you are crazy.”

 

    “Amber, we’ve only known each other for about two weeks. She’s been dating her boyfriend for over two years.”, You pause for a second, “She talks about me?”

 

    Amber chuckles, “Interested now, aren’t you? She talked about how you came over and how easy you are for her to get along with. I told her that’s surprising considering you’re a heartless android.”

 

    “She was just making conversation.”, Despite what you’re saying you don’t want it to be the truth. A large part of you really wants Amber’s view of things to be true.



 

    When you arrive at the concert you’re surprised to see how packed it is. Granted, you two are a little late, but still. This crowd is ridiculous. Not to mention that it’s mostly greasy guys.

 

    “Quite the audience.”, You say sarcastically.

 

    Krystal smiles apologetically, “Yeah. I don’t remember it being like this last year.”

 

    Once you’ve paid the admission you two go to the back of the crowd; avoiding the rowdier front section.

 

    “How do you feel about mosh pits?”, You say, or rather, yell to Krystal over the loud noise of the band that’s on stage.

 

    Krystal’s only response is an apprehensive look.

 

    It’s adorable and you can’t help but grin, “We have to go up to the front at some point. At least for a little bit. I mean, it’s a big part of going to a concert.”

 

    “Do we have to?”, She whines.

 

    “Just for a few minutes?”, You ask sincerely.

 

    Finally Krystal gives in, “Just for a little bit. Can we do it now and get it over with?”

 

    You grin triumphantly and nod. Though you know it’s going to be hell to move through this heap of sweaty concert goers, you’re determined.

 

    You lead the way; pushing through people with more ease than you expected. When you turn back towards Krystal, she looks like a terrified kitten amidst vicious dogs. The sight causes an instant pang of guilt in your stomach. Out of pure instinct, you reach your hand back to her and she takes it without question. Her palm is sweaty, and she’s holding onto you for dear life, but somehow you’re still finding the contact enjoyable.

 

    You navigate passed the eye of the storm in the middle of the crowd, and manage to get right up front. The people around you are still yelling and jumping around, but it’s nothing like the madness you encountered a few layers back.

 

    Krystal still has a tight hold on your hand, but you don’t mind. You look over at her to see that she still looks frightened. Though you don’t know exactly what’s wrong, you give her hand a comforting squeeze. When Krystal glances at you, you give her your best smile, and she smiles right back.




 

    It’s only when you get back into Krystal’s car at half passed 10 that you realize how smelly you are. It’s not your own body odor, but the odor of the people who had been pressed against you for the past few hours. It definitely doesn’t help that some rando had spilled nearly a whole can of beer on you.

 

    As soon as Krystal shuts her door she states the obvious, “We reek.”

 

    You chuckle, “Tell me something I don’t know. I can’t wait to get a shower.”

 

    “Same.”, She pauses for a second; looking down at the steering wheel before meeting your eyes again, “Uhm, thanks for holding my hand almost the whole time we were here.”

 

    You smile, “No problem. It’s not like it was a huge burden or something.”

 

    “I just… I don’t know. Sometimes being in crowded places like that freaks me out. But you really helped, thank you.”

 

    Your heart flutters at the compliment, “I’m really glad I could. Did you end up having fun anyway?”

 

    “Definitely. We should do this more often.”

 

    You can’t help but grin. It’s been awhile since someone has said that to you honestly.

 

    “So we’re heading home now?”, You ask; hoping against hope that she’ll say no.

 

    “Actually, I was thinking that we could grab something to eat.”, She chuckles, “I had planned on going in somewhere, but with how we smell I think we should just get some drive thru fast food and eat it in the car.”

 

    You give her a smile and a nod.




 

    Comfortable silence sets in between you two as you eat. Something about being parked in this dark and nearly deserted parking lot feels more peaceful than creepy.

 

    Suddenly, Krystal’s phone vibrates. She only glances at the screen before letting out a frustrated sigh and tossing it to the side.

 

    “Someone you don’t want to talk to?”, you ask before taking another bite of your hamburger.

 

    “Boyfriend.”, She says simply.

 

    He’d messaged her a few times since she picked you up. You thought she was ignoring him because you were at a concert, but this proves otherwise.

 

    “Are you ignoring him?”, You ask.

 

    She looks out at the dark parking lot for a few long seconds; probably thinking of what to tell you.

 

    Finally, she turns back towards you, “I don’t know.”

 

    “You don’t know? Or you just don’t want to tell me? If you don’t that’s fine, too.”, You say honestly; giving her a smile.

 

    She smiles back, “It’s not like that. I just… I really don’t know.”

 

    You stare into her eyes and it seems like she’s telling the truth. Though you don’t want to pry even more, you’re curious as hell, “Does he treat you well? He’s not controlling or anything like that is he?”

 

    “No. Not at all. He can be clingy, but he’s a good guy. He’s never been overprotective, or controlling. If we have a disagreement he doesn’t yell. He does everything he can for me. To top it all off he’s also handsome. The only problem with our relationship is... me.”, She says sadly.

 

    You furrow your brow in confusion, “What do you mean?”

 

    “I… I don’t know. I don’t really want to talk about it. I’m still trying to figure it out myself.”

 

    You can understand that perfectly. “That’s fine. If there’s anything I can do, just tell me, okay? I’m always willing to help.”

 

    She gives you a small but genuine smile, “Thanks. Really.” And with that, the topic is dropped.