Chapter 2

A Heartless Android

    You’re not doing anything particularly interesting on Tuesday night. For the past hour or so you’ve just been in your room listening to music and playing a game. It’s the feeling of your stomach growling that draws you out of your video game world and back into the real one.

 

    You take your earphones out and immediately you hear Amber’s voice and another that you aren’t familiar with through the thin walls of your dorm. That’s when you remember that Amber’s tutor is supposed to come over today.

 

    You hesitate to walk into the living room. You’ve never been much of a people person, at least in terms of meeting new people. You tend to get nervous easily; always worrying about the impression you’ll leave on others. With girls it’s even worse.

 

    Parties are different. With so many people around you’re rarely the center of attention. On top of that, alcohol makes you a bit more confident, and you know it’ll make any awkwardness you give off easily forgotten by others.

 

    However, if you walk out of your room right now this tutor’s attention will instantly be on you, and you’ll be forced to introduce yourself. If you fumble over your words or do something stupid, she’ll remember it clearly. And you’ll still have to see her twice a week until exams are through.

 

    Your stomach growls again, this time accompanied by a dull hunger pang. You take a deep breath to calm yourself. You have to go get a snack at least; for the sake of your body.

 

    The moment you walk into the living room, things proceed exactly as you thought they would. Amber and her tutor focus all their attention on you. The girl looks at you with a blank expression. Just like most people at your school, you’re pretty sure you’ve seen her a few times before, but you don’t know her name.

 

    As is always the case when you meet a pretty girl for the first time, your heart is going crazy in your chest, but you’re doing your best to not show it.

 

    Amber gives you a big smile, “Oh, this is my roommate by the way.”

 

    You introduce yourself in the simplest manner possible to avoid saying something stupid. You only give her a smile and tell her your name.

 

    The girl returns the smile. Although her’s is rather subdued, “I’m Krystal. Nice you meet you.”

 

    You nod, “You, too.” Before awkward silence can set in you take a few steps towards the kitchen, “I’m Just going to grab something to eat and then I’ll be out of your guys’ hair.”

 

    Krystal is way too pretty. Staying in the same vicinity as her for too long can’t be good for your health. If you don’t die of embarrassment from something you say/do, you’ll die from how drastically your body is reacting to her. You can already feel yourself starting to sweat, and your cheeks are definitely red.

 

    Just as you’re about to flee to the safety of the kitchen, Amber stops you, “Actually we were just talking about ordering something to eat. Since this is our first meetup we’re just kind of getting to know each other.”

 

    You feel like evaporating into the air. It’s not that you don’t want to get on friendly terms with Krystal. You just hate how flustered and nervous you are. The last thing you want to do is prolong this feeling.

 

    “Uh… Well, you guys can go ahead and do that. I’m not super hungry, I just want a snack.” It’s definitely a lie, you’re starving. But going without a meal for a few more hours isn’t going to kill you. However, your heart racing like you just chugged two energy drinks might.

 

    Amber gives you a suspicious look, “You sure? You could at least hang out with us.”

 

    “. Why does she have to be so inclusive?”, You think while your brain struggles for an excuse. It’s not helping that Krystal’s eyes are still on you.

 

    Suddenly Amber’s expression changes; realization lighting up her features. “You’re just making up excuses because you’re binge watching something, aren’t you?”

 

    Finally, here’s your out. “You got me. You know I can’t just abandon a series.”

 

    “Fiiiiiine.”, Amber says in fake exasperation, “Go be antisocial.”

 

    You give her a quick smile before grabbing a granola bar from the kitchen and walking into your room. You’re realizing that Krystal might think you’re rude, but that sure as hell beats her thinking you’re an awkward idiot.

 

    Not even two minutes after you sit down on your bed, you get a text:

 

    

Amber: You best tell me what’s really going on with you. You never turn down food like that

 

You: You know that I don’t like meeting new people. ESPECIALLY pretty girls. I actually felt like I might die if I looked at her for too long

 

Amber: God, you’re so lame. Didn’t you just hook up with someone?

 

You: I was drunk, she was drunk. It’s different

 

Amber: Whatever. Sooooo, you like her, huh ;)

 

You: Nooooo. I think she’s pretty. I think literally every girl is pretty. She’s not that special

 

Amber: Yikes. I barely even know her and that hurt. Either way, I was just picking on you. You were just as much of a pathetic mess as you always are

 

You: Ouch. I can’t help that I freak out so easily :/

 

You: Wait, why are you even messaging me? Shouldn’t you be talking to Krystal?

 

Amber: I’m capable of multitasking. Plus, she’s ordering our food. Do you really not want anything? I haven’t noticed you eating since at least three hours ago

 

You: …...What are you guys getting?

 

Amber: Subs from that place you like :P

 

You: Okay, so maybe I am a little hungry. Get me my usual and I’ll pay you back later

 

Amber: Sure thing


 

    You lie back on your bed with a sigh; loving the fact that you avoided interaction while still getting food.


 

    

 

    There’s a knock on your door, and you instantly know that it’s Amber with your food. You don’t even bother moving. You stay lying down with your laptop resting on your legs, “Come in!”

 

    The once calm beat of your heart jumps into overdrive when Krystal walks in holding a paper bag instead of Amber.

 

    She walks towards you, “Hey.”, She says with the same subdued smile you saw earlier.

 

    You move your laptop from your legs and stand up hurriedly. Your eyes dart around your room searching for anything embarrassing that might be lying around. There’s a little clutter, but luckily no underwear or other dirty clothes on the floor.

 

    You try to keep as much distance as possible between the two of you. Unfortunately, that turns out to only be a little over a foot. You take the bag from her with a smile, “Thanks.”

 

To your chagrin she doesn’t leave, instead she glances around your room. When her eyes land on one of your posters her partial smile widens, “You listen to them?”, She nods towards the poster; it’s the album art for an indie band you’ve liked for a few years now.

 

    You feel insanely torn. Of course you want to talk about music with her, but you also despise feeling so self-conscious and nervous.

 

    Regardless, you do your best to fight against your anxiety, “Yeah. I actually have all of their CDs.” You set the bag with your food in it on your bed and walk towards your CD collection. You hate to admit it, but it’s one of your proudest possessions.

 

    Krystal gets to the shelf of CDs before you do. Your collection is perfectly arranged alphabetically by artist, with the albums sorted chronologically. It actually makes your heart well up with pride to see her looking at them contently with wonder on her face.

 

    “This is amazing.”, She nearly whispers, “We like a lot of the same stuff.”

 

    You can’t contain your wide grin. Having something in common with a pretty girl? That’s definitely an appropriate cause for the bubbly feeling in your stomach. “I have more back home, but these are my favorites. Uhm… what do you usually listen to?”

 

    “I like a lot of things. Most indie, and rock. Electrona, and pop. Classical, and jazz...”, Krystal trails off. She doesn’t face you; still looking through all of your albums. Honestly, it helps relieve a lot of your tension.

 

    Krystal pulls a heavy metal album out from your collection, “I never could get into this stuff, though.”

 

    You take the CD from her hands and smile when you see what it is. “Not the biggest fan of metal?”

 

    “I guess I just don’t really get it. All the screaming and… I don’t know. The vocals and instrumentals seem unpolished to me.”, She says casually.

 

    For the first time since you met her, you feel at ease. Music is definitely your comfort zone. The way she’s talking about it only makes you feel more comfortable.

 

    You focus on the CD in your hands instead of making eye contact. “Really? I mean… There are definitely songs that are screamy and kind of seem nonsensical. But, most of the time, when you read the lyrics you can see why they’re screaming. It helps drive home the meaning of what they’re saying. And I really like the instrumental style. I guess it can come off as good or bad just depending on what you like.” When you look back up at her you’re surprised to see that she actually looks interested rather than bored to death.

 

    Krystal picks up a different metal album from the shelf, “I’ll admit that I’ve never looked up any lyrics. Do you have some song recs?”

 

    You can’t help but laugh, “Do you have like… an extra three hours free?”

 

    You can almost physically feel your heart melt when she gives you a fully genuine smile. You’ve always been a er for a good smile, and her’s is among one of the best you’ve ever seen. It transforms her nearly cold expression into something undeniably warm and bubbly.

 

    “Weeelll, I have to get back to Amber soon, but… Maybe you could write some down before I have to leave?”

 

    You have to fight against the urge to jump around like an excited school girl. Something about a pretty-no, she’s more than pretty-a gorgeous girl asking you for song recommendations is staggering.

 

    “Definitely.”, You say with a wide grin.

 

    She smiles back, “I’ll come see you right before I leave.”, She sets the CD back on your shelf before walking out of the room.

 

    As soon as the door is shut, you waste no time in writing down song titles and jotting notes along with them explaining why you’re recommending them. Your food long forgotten.






 

    On Thursday, you stay in your room almost the whole time Krystal is there since her and Amber had looked like they were actually working. You feel a little anxious. Not because you’re nervous, but because you’re excited to hear about what she thought of the songs you recommended to her. To distract yourself you focus on your homework.


 

    When you hear a knock at your door your heart speeds up. Trying not to sound too excited you tell whoever it is (hopefully Krystal) to come in.

 

    Your heart rejoices when Krystal steps into your room, “Hey. You aren’t busy are you?”’

 

    You set your books and notes aside, “Nope.”

 

    Krystal smiles, “Good.” She takes a seat beside you on your bed, “I listened to all the songs you suggested. I really like the lighter ones…”

 

    You raise your eyebrow suspiciously, “But?”

 

    “But most were still too heavy for me. Reading the lyrics made me appreciate them. But I don’t think I could listen to them on the regular.”

 

    You grin. Honestly, you’re just happy that she took the time to listen to them, “Fair enough. Thanks for giving them a chance.”

 

    Krystal smiles back at you, “I’m always willing to give new music a chance, speaking of…”, She rummages through the messenger bag that’s thrown over her shoulder and pulls out a clear CD case with a home burned CD inside, “I made this for you. If I had the actual CD I’d let you borrow it but… you know.”

 

    You’re in awe as you take the CD from her hands. She had not just taken the time to listen to the over half an hour of music you recommended, she’d also put thought into putting some songs on a CD for you.

 

    You look at the CD to see the name of a band that you’ve never heard of.

 

    Krystal starts explaining, “That album’s all instrumental indie that’s also kind of techno-y. I uh… I saw that you like stuff like this, but you didn’t have anything by this band. They’re one of my favorites.”

 

    You look at her and you don’t really know what to say. It’s bizarre how touching someone just giving you a CD can be. It takes a second, but eventually you’re able to talk, “Thanks, I really appreciate this. I’ll listen to it when I get the chance. I’m sure I’ll love it.”

 

She doesn’t respond with words. She only looks down at the floor; biting her bottom lip and smiling. The sight is almost too attractive for your heart to handle.

 

    Trying your best to speak calmly, you ask, “What’s up?”

 

    Krystal looks at you; not even trying to hold back her grin anymore. God, it makes you melt. It’s so bright, kiddish, and infectious. You’re positive that it could make even the most hateful person on the planet smile right back.

 

    “It feels good to talk to someone about music. None of my friends or my boyfriend really get into it like I do.”

 

    At the word ‘boyfriend’ your once overly happy heart sinks. You’re not sure exactly why. After all, it’s not like you were planning on going out with her. Hell, you’re not even crushing on her… are you?

 

    Nope. Definitely not. You haven’t even known her for a whole week. Still… knowing she has a boyfriend brings your good mood down a few pegs.

 

    “Really? They have to be at least a little interested in it.”, You say casually; completely concealing your drop in excitement.

 

    “I mean, they do. It’s just… They’re all about pop and rap, which is definitely good, but… I don’t know. I haven’t had anyone to talk to about the more obscure genres.”

 

    Regardless of finding out about her boyfriend, that compliment still makes you feel incredible. After all, you feel the exact same way, and it’s been awhile since you’ve made a new friend.

 

    You chuckle, “I know what you mean. I’m lucky to get Amber to sit through just a single heavy metal song. I think I’d have to hold her hostage if I wanted to talk to her about the finer details of it.”

 

    Krystal smiles, “I’m glad. Maybe… uh… if you don’t mind, we could exchange phone numbers? That way we won’t have to wait until Tuesday to talk again.”

 

    She doesn’t want to wait four days to talk to you!? Even from a friend point of view, that’s way beyond flattering.

 

    “Definitely!”, You say it a little more excitedly than you would have liked.

 

    Krystal spares no time in taking out her phone. You give her your cell number, and she types in a random jumble of letters to you so that you have her’s.

 

    You’re a bit bummed when she stands from your bed, “I have to go, but text me and tell me what you thought of that album, okay?”

 

    You nod, “Absolutely.” With that, she walks out and you’re left grinning like an idiot.

 

    As soon as you hear the muffled sound of your dorm door shutting Amber rushes into your room without even bothering to knock, “You like her!” She says excitedly.

 

    You sigh, “I like her, yes. As a friend.”

 

    She narrows her eyes at you, “I don’t know. You seemed a little too friendly just now.”

 

    “Were you listening to us?”

 

    “These walls are, like, paper thin.”

 

    You shake your head, “Eavesdropping on me just to make accusations that aren’t true.”

 

    “I’m pretty sure they’re true. You even traded phone numbers with her.”

 

    “Yes Amber, that’s what friends do.”, You say with annoyance clearly in your voice.

 

“You said you think she’s pretty.”, amber insists.

 

“I also think you’re pretty but I have absolutely no plans to date you.”

 

She gives you a cold stare, “You’re not going to admit it, but you at least have lowkey feelings for her.”

 

    “I’ve known her for like three days, Amber. That’s not nearly long enough for me to catch feelings for her. Lowkey or otherwise.”

 

    “Fine. But I bet within the next few months you’re gonna tell me you’ve got a crush on her. And when you do I’ll be there to support you, and you’re just going to have to deal with it.” Amber says sternly.

 

    You smile, “If I do start crushing on her, you’ll be the first to know.”

 

    “I better be.”, Amber says before slowly and dramatically shutting the door.

 

    Still feeling good, you get back to your homework.