- Unexpected

BTS FF You Never Walk Alone

It's been 3 years since that incident. My mom has become more protective than ever. Usually, it's the father that's the overprotective one in the family. But ever since he passed away, my mother had been the strong family head. She plays the role of the mother and father that I need. I'm glad I have a strong independent mother. Everything she has accomplished up until now is all by herself.

Around 9 years ago, after my father passed away, my mother went back to college to pursue in fashion. Just to attend college, it cost a lot. She borrowed money from relatives and took out loans. In addition, she needed to take care of me. With my mother's determination, before she graduated, many big fashion icons was requesting for her designs. After receiving her college diploma, she opened her very own brand clothing line.

I'm very proud to call her my mother. As a single mother, it's not easy in society to stand up for yourself when you're women. Without having to care what others think, my mom does whatever she wants and whenever. All this was for me. Now, we have the money; we have the fame. What else would I want? I understand she cares for me, but I want her to be happy.

Today's my 19th birthday and I'm celebrating it with my mom. Reservations were already made at a nice restaurant. She wants me to dress nicely for this occasion and one to remember. Although it's still early, I look around my room for something nice to wear. I dig into my closet and found a mint blue dress that I haven't worn in years. I try the dress on, but it was a bit tight near the chest area. I change out of it and put on some other clothes to go out.

Since the car keys were in the microwave, I'm taking the car. The drive to the mall was 20 minutes long, but by the time I arrived, I started to feel anxious. What if I can't find a nice dress? I need to hurry. I rush out of the car and into the mall. I run into Nordstrom, searching all the racks and mannequins for something cute, but cheap. No luck.

I walk out of the store and glances around for an eye appealing shop. I give up. Nothing here is even competition to what my mother makes. Might as well ask mom for a nicer dress. When I arrived home, the housekeeper runs to me holding a black box.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What's this for? Me?"

She gives me nod, "It came in after you left."

"Is it from mom this time?"

"It doesn't seem like it was from madam. I had to sign the box slip, so it's probably from a friend?"

I let out a heavy sigh, "Don't say something so unrealistic. I don't have friends."

Her eyes avert my attention and looks down at the floor as if she did something wrong. I take the box from her hand and heads upstairs.

I turn to ask, "When is mom coming back?"

"She said she'll be back around 8 pm."

"Okay, good. Thank you."

I travel to my room and place the box on my bed. The black box was wrapped with cute white ribbons. I untie it and lift up the lid. I gasp with my jaw falling down to my neck. I pick up the beautiful maroon top with the skirt inside the box still. The color was deep, but a lovely red. I reach for the skirt when a card falls from the top piece.

It reads:

Happy birthday, princess. You're finally 19 years old. I'm excited! Will we be able to meet this year?

-From, Prince

I let out a small chuckle. Him, again? How many years has it been? I still don't know who. I've been receiving gifts like this ever since I was discharged from the hospital. Every birthday, a box like this would come in for me, with a small note from Prince. Honestly, I don't know anyone. I have no friends, so who could it be?

I try on the two-piece dress, but the same problem. It's a bit tight around my chest. It wasn't that bad because it just pushed my s together more. I'm okay with it though. The skirt was at a cute length, too. I change out of it. It's still early, so I decided to take a nap.

•••

"Yona, you ready?"

I reach for my phone on my nightstand. 6:39 pm appears on the screen. I stretch as I walk out of my room, "Mom, you're home early."

She comes over and gives a peck on my forehead, "Happy birthday, baby girl." She continues to rush to her room, "Hurry up and get ready, the makeup artist and hairdresser are downstairs."

I give an eye roll, "Not that again," I fold my arms over my chest, "Mom, can I please get ready myself? Too much makeup makes me look old."

"Fine, fine. But you have to get your hair done."

"Thank you, ma!"

•••

When we arrived, I was surprised to see what was prepared for me. I turn to my mom in the driver's seat, "Mom, you said it's at a restaurant."

Mom was reapplying her lipstick, "Mhmm."

"This is a hotel, though."

"The restaurant is inside the hotel. Listen Yona. Whatever happens inside, I want you to smile."

"Huh?"

"There's going to be a lot of people from different family backgrounds. I invited them to your birthday party."

"What? Mom! I don't want a party! I just want to spend it with you. I don't care about others."

"Honey, I know I did this without your consent, but it's your birthday. It's either go big or go home!"

"But-"

"No 'buts.' Besides kids, your age should be going out with friends. And you? You just stay home all day."

"Mom! I'm homeschooled! How do I make friends?"

"There's something called the internet, honey. Or even better, tonight. They're going to be plenty of guest with their son and daughters. Don't worry, you'll make friends. Come one, let's go. You don't want to keep them waiting."

I frown, "Okay.".

As we enter the hotel, I hear classical music playing in the background. I listen closely. It's my favorite song, Ave Maria. The beautiful violin and piano accompaniment are perfect together. We come to a halt in front of a gold double door.

Mom looks at me, "Smile, Yona."

I give her a sarcastic smile and she pushes the door open. Inside the hall, it was packed with men and women in suits and dresses. A very elegant party, just for me? Got to be kidding me ma! Before I knew it all eyes were on my mother and I. My mom starts to walk towards the center and I follow behind her.

She picks up a glass of wine at a table, "Good evening everyone. I'm so glad that you all can make it to my daughter's 19th birthday party. I hope you all have a wonderful night!" She takes a sip of wine, "Let me introduce to you all. This is my daughter, Yona."

I hear a large amount of claps filling up the room. I become anxious. My heart begins to pump blood twice as hard. I force a smile on my face as I feel cold sweat all over my body. When the music resumes, I began to calm down. Canon D major. Another one of my favorites.

I feel a hand on my back, "Yona, honey. Do you not feel well?" To my surprise, I jump a bit, but I was relieved to see my grandparents.

"Oh, I'm fine." I give my grandma a hug, then my grandpa, "How have you guys been? Are you all healthy?"

My grandma holds onto my hands, "Of course, we are. Are you doing fine?"

"Yes."

"Going to college soon?"

My grandpa's question hits me, "Ahaha, I don't know yet."

My grandma's hand squeezes mine, " Yona, you're a big girl now. You need to start making decisions on your own. I know your mom, cause she's my daughter. She will do everything for you as long as you're happy. But she can't do that forever. One day, she needs to understand to let you go."

Tears form a bit in my eyes, it's true. My mom has done everything for me. Everything. How will I ever pay her back? My grandparents give me one last hug before greeting others. I look around the big room for my mom. I was stopped in my tracks when I heard a high pitch, "Hey!"

I turn around to see who it was. A pair of girls are together, they look so much alike. It was then, it hit me. They are identical twins; I've heard of them but never saw one in real life. Their blond curls fit perfectly with their light blue eyes. Almost like a doll. I stare hard until I notice I was being rude.

I make up some words to say "How can I help you?"

The one on the right responds, "Hi, I'm Lina. I just wanted to say that I love your dress."

I give a small smile, "Oh, thank you."

The girl on the left asks, "Where did you get it? Or is it a new design from your mom?"

Lina snaps at her, "Hey, Mina! Don't ask that!" She turns to me, "I'm sorry. Mina is a bit straightforward."

"No, no. It's okay. I don't see why it's a big deal to ask. I wish I knew, but I got it as a gift."

Mina gasps, "Wow! It fits you perfectly!"

I widen my eyes, "Really? I was surprised too. It's just a little bit small for my chest."

Lina jumps in, "No! I think it looks fine! You're lucky you have big s. Mines are still b-cups."

My face becomes flushed, Mina hits Lina's arm, "Hey! Don't go around saying you have small because that will imply I have small ones too."

I interrupt their argument, "Well, I think you both are really lucky to have pretty eyes. I'm jealous."

They both giggle and says, "Thank you. By the way, happy birthday!" Then walks off.

After the conversation, I start to feel drained. Is talking to people really that tiring? I need to use the restroom. I walk out of the hall room and into the hotel corridor. When I came out of the bathroom, I see a young man making out with a girl near the water fountain. I want to puke so bad at what I'm seeing. I walk away as if I didn't see anything.

I enter the hall once again and a tall guy approaches me. I start to fumble, not knowing what to do. I decide to walk away until I feel a hand latch onto my arm. I turn around to greet a pair of warm eyes, "Yona?"

I pull myself out of my daze, "Yes?"

He let's go of my arm and stands up straight, "Happy birthday! You look amazing."

I look at my dress and then back at him, "Thank you so much. And you are?"

"Oh! I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Jungkook."

"Jungkook, nice to meet you. I will see you around then."

I walk away from him and I honestly regret doing that! He was actually really attractive. Why? Why am I so socially awkward? I reach the balcony and outside, the view was full of lights. I look up to be greeted by a sky full of stars. I wonder if there's going to be any shooting stars?

"What are you looking at?"

The sudden voice breaks my peaceful trance and anger starts to boil inside of me. I whip my head around. To my surprise, a handsome, black hair, a young man stands in my vision. He repeats his question, "What are you looking at?"

I grit my teeth, "Have we met before?"

He chuckles, "Are you trying to use some lame pickup line? Geez, I know I'm hot stuff, but you don't gotta be so impatient."

"No. I'm being serious. You sound so familiar."

The man smirks and takes a few steps closer towards me. He leans into my ears, "Really, Yona? From where then?"

Without hesitation, I strike my hand right across his face. He doesn't flinch; while my hand is throbbing in pain. Instead, his dark eyes pierce into my soul. I feel a leg between mines. Out of reflex, I start to squirm, even though it's no use. One of his arm tightly wraps around my waist. I can't break free. I want to scream, but it will ruin the party. I began to feel out of breath from moving, so I decide to stay still. I stare at his face; he sure is handsome like a devil. If I were to fall for him, I would be killed.

"Done, little girl?"

My eyes twitch, "What do you want?"

His voice becomes a whisper, "You."

"Stop kidding yourself. Please let go. I don't want to attract any attention."

In a sarcastic way, he responds, "Oh, please. Attention? Don't you think you've gotten enough? Isn't the dress too small for you?"

My face retorts in embarrassment, "What?"

"Come on, you were expecting it. Who knew your s would grow so big?"

My blood turns hot, I want to kill him. I was about to kick him between his legs, when a voice jumps in, "Jimin! What are you doing?!"

To the rescue was Jungkook. I was so relieved to hear his voice. This guy, Jimin, rolls his eyes and lets me go, "What, Jungkook? Playing the goody boy shoes?"

Jungkook comes over and wraps his blazer around me, "Are you okay, Yona?"

Jimin gives Jungkook a dirty look, "Don't act like you weren't looking forward to it. I know you Jungkook, you're not any nicer." He turns to me, "Little girl, be careful. All men are wolves."

I stare at him as he leaves. His words replay in my head, 'all men are wolves.' Yeah, not for someone like you to say! You're the one who took advantage of me, while I was out! UGH! So disgusting. I look beside me and Jungkook's hands were on my shoulders.

I brush him off, "I'm okay, now. Thank you, Jungkook."

"Ah. Not a problem. I'm sorry for what my brother did. He's a bit spoiled so he does anything he wants."

"Brother?"

"Yeah, we're legally brothers, but not biologically."

"Then, one of you were adopted?"

"Haha, it's not like that. We grew up together as best friends. But when his family got into an accident and passed away, my dad decided to take him in."

"Your dad is a nice person. He's the one who did my surgery, right?"

Jungkook's face becomes surprised, "You still remember?!"

"Yes, of course."

"Do you remember anything else?"

I shake my head, "Not really."

For some reason, I heard Jungkook let out a sigh. As if it was a sigh of relief. We both walk back into the big hall with many eyes staring us down.

My mother comes over, "Oh my! Jungkook! You've gotten so tall and handsome!"

Jungkook gives a warm smile, "Thank you, ma'am. You look great as ever! You didn't even age, did you?"

Mom squeals, "My god, Jungkook! You sure became a talker! The last time I met you, you didn't even say hi."

"That was so long ago, it's embarrassing!"

My mom looks at us for a good second, "I see that you've met Yona. What do you think of my daughter?"

I cringe at the thought of the question, "Mom!"

Jungkook's voice is calm, "I really think Yona is a wonderful and lovely girl. If I could spend my days with her every day, I would be blessed."

My face burns with the flatter Jungkook says. My mom gives me a small wink. A booming loud voice then also comes over and joins the conversation, "Yona! How are you feeling?"

I recognize that it was my doctor, "I'm feeling just fine Doctor Jeon. Thank you for your help in the past years."

Jungkook's father gives me a wide smile, "Look at her! All grown up, so mature! Her sweet personality hasn't changed a bit. Good job raising your daughter."

My mother giggles with pride, "And you're not too bad either! Your son is handsome and healthy. It'd be great if I can hold a grandchild soon."

I give my mom a sarcastic look, then Doctor Jeon continues, "Of course, of course!" He pauses and looks around, "You haven't met my other son, have you?"

My mom looks surprised, "You have another son? Since when? How old now?"

"Not my real son, he's two years older than Jungkook," he stops his head and yells, "Jimin-ah! Come here!"

I hear footsteps sneak up close, "Hey, father what is it?"

Doctor Jeon puts his hands out toward me, "Have you already met Yona?"

Jimin smirks at me and gives his father an obedient smile, "Yes, I have. She as beautiful as everyone says."

Doctor Jeon claps his hands, "See? That's what a man should be like!"

My mom nods with the agreement, "I see. Is he attending college?"

"Of course! Jimin and Jungkook attend the same college, why? Is Yona planning on going to college for fashion? I heard the school has a great designing department."

"Really?" Mom looks at me, "Yona, what do you think?"

"I would love to, but I need some time to think about it."

The music changes and people around the room start to gather near the center. Doctor Jeon pushes Jimin towards me, "Come on, Jimin! Take a chance!"

Jimin's hand reaches out, "Would you like to dance with me?"

I scan the room, it'd be bad if I reject him. I take his hand, "Sure."

Jimin takes Jungkook's blazer off of me and hands it back. I see Jungkook's face become sour. As we approach the dance floor to get in position, I feel Jimin's hands on my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck. I don't look at him, just in deep thought. Why do I have a feeling Jungkook's father favors Jimin much more than his real son? Jungkook is a better gentleman than this punk, so why? Is there something that happened?

As more people fill the dance floor, Jimin asks, "Is something bothering you, little girl?"

I roll my eyes, "Don't talk to me."

I feel his hands began to shift position, both of them lands on my . I jump, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Jimin acts dumb and doesn't answer. I place my hands on his cheeks, "I'm asking you a question!"

He finally smiles, "You said not to talk to you."

I let a sigh. There's no use talking about this pain the .

"You're worried about Jungkook?"

I look back up at him, "Hm?"

He whistles, "You shouldn't get involved with him. He put it upon himself."

"Put what upon himself?"

"He's quite a player, despite his innocent image."

"And you're not?"

He looks offended, "Hey! What have I ever done for you to hate me?"

I roughly push him away, "You know exactly why I would hate you."

Jimin's face looks hurt, "What? Is it because I touched your ? Or when I touched you on the balcony?"

"All of it. Everything you did!" People started to hear our conversation, I lower my voice, "Whatever, I'm done. I'm going home."

I make my way through the crowd, my mom stops me in my tracks, "What's wrong baby girl? You got into a fight?"

I avoid her eyes, "Mom, I don't feel good, can we go home?"

"Okay, I will tell everyone that you're not feeling well."