I Don't Like Your Hair

Let Her Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

College is a memorable time for any student. It’s that short period of bliss without being treated like a kid and having complete autonomy, but without the heavier adult responsibilities. While Da Hae and Sehun were both third year college students at a university in the heart of the city, Da Hae did not grow up in the city. She hailed from a small rural town 6 hours away from Seoul and grew up in an extremely conservative and sheltered environment. Everything was new for Da Hae in Seoul, even after 3 years. Naturally, when handed so much freedom at once, one would want to take full advantage. Da Hae decided to try a new style with hers. After 7 hours at a friend’s salon, she emerged as a new woman with a slight trim and bright, auburn hair styled in light waves. She validated herself on social media and brought dinner for Sehun on her way back.

“Surprise! I brought your favorite grilled chicken for dinner,” Da Hae shook the bag with an innocent smile. Sehun secretly liked the gesture but his gruff exterior would never let him even mutter words of gratitude. “I said I was busy. Why did you bring this?” he demanded. Da Hae wilted. “I know you usually eat dinner at 7:30 and its only 7:00 right now so I just thought I would bring this over... I’m sorry,” she apologized. Her voice trailed off as she spoke. It felt as if no matter how hard she tried, Sehun would never be satisfied with her.

“Just leave it out in front of the door. Maybe at least the dogs will eat it” Sehun commanded although his stomach growled at the smell of the delicious chicken. Da Hae felt a pang in her heart at his comment but obliged anyways. Just as Sehun was about close the door, Da Hae kept it open with her arms. “By the way, do you notice anything different about me?” questioned Da Hae. Sehun stared at her for a long time. “You look the same. Do I have to notice every little thing? Don’t be so needy.” And with that, the door slammed shut in her face. Like always.

--

Monday, February 19th, 2017

XXX University, Seoul

It was a fresh Monday morning in the city of Seoul. Almost like a page ripped out of a fairytale, the birds were chirping, the sun was bright, the flowers were blooming, and Da Hae was all smiles. Today would be the first day showcasing her new hair to the school and she couldn’t wait to hear all the responses. She was hoping Sehun would say something about it, but after last night’s conversation, she felt he was right: he doesn’t need to notice every little thing. Why was she being so needy and clingy? But I literally changed the color of my hair, she thought. Even the watchman at the front of the building noticed. However, she quickly shook herself of the negative thoughts and proceeded onto her day.

Despite being next door neighbors going to the same destination at the same time nearly every morning, Sehun and Da Hae never left together to leave for school. This was for two reasons: one, Sehun almost always left to school extremely early to study in the library and two, no one was supposed to know about their ‘relationship’. So imagine Sehun’s surprise when Da Hae comes bouncing to his door at 6:30 AM, asking to go to school with him.

“Why?” Sehun asks.

“I just want to. Can’t we? We’re a couple yet we never walk together, speak to each other, or e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter