Munchkin Muffins

Munchkin Muffins

The street lights, orange and illuminating, casting glow beneath through the arid tree branches guide you further down the small concrete pathway as you take big, hurried steps leaving a trail of soft crunching sound of the stale fall leaves behind. Along with the crunching noise, the drip - drop of water droplets accompany you.

Every whirl of the wind, sends chills down to your bones. Your teeth chatter with arms closely hugging your frame, palm rubbing your arms with incoherent, inappropriate words and curses falling through your lips.

Just a moment ago, you were happily skipping down the pavement with a cone of ice cream clutched gently in your fingers until a car drove past with a loud screech, splashing last night's collected water from a muddy puddle.

That moment you had no reflexive action, you froze along with your scarf and sweater drenched completely. The ice cream falling out of your hold, splattering somewhere nearby on the pavement.

Each and every single cell of your body is blaming you for craving the sudden thrill of eating ice cream at nine of night that also in such a cold, teeth clattering weather.

You can't put a pause to the chattering and clashing of your teeth against each other due to the freezing atmosphere. It is getting harder and harder to take each step further, the water has completely engulfed you within it's suffocating hold. The cold has already been absorbed enough by your bones, slowly frosting them. You feel as if your bones are soon going to freeze, turning you into a glaciated mannequin at one spot.

Even though you've been walking for only five minutes, only a distance of another five minutes to cover, it aches too much to walk.

Feeling your throat build up, a sudden tickle in your nose and you sneeze loudly with a thunderous sound escaping from your mouth.

Dizziness after the sneeze starts to take over you.

Trembling and cold, your eyes scan the street, the shops aligned. Disappointment takes over you as you notice every store's shuttles closed for the night. You at least hoped for one shop or store to be open for you to warm up a little bit but it looks like you'll have to collapse in this frosty weather and die on the spot.

A glimmer of hope shines in your eyes, noticing a small coffee shop nestled in the corner, all alone yet inviting. Light white as moonlight flooding out and inviting you to take rest.

Blowing some warm breath over your chilled fingers, your boots brush roughly against the concrete pavement as you drag yourself towards the crook but it feels like it's miles away due to the intense shivering.

Reading the ‘Closed’ sign placed against the glass door, your eyes fall, feeling discouraged but they shoot up instantly noticing shuffling inside the shop.

Desperate, you press your frame against the glass door, eyes widening up to take the scene inside. Taking both of your hand, you curl them into small fists and gently tap twice.

The silhouette inside, to be more precise, a male figure turns around. Unable to figure out his expression, he mouths something before engaging back into his chores.

Your shoulders fall. Taking a deep breath, you tap again on the glass, a little bit harsh this time as if you're threatening to break the glass.

Eyes pleading, you speak as loudly as possible. “I'm cold and dying, let me in!” Followed by more desperate bangs.

The male insides places his washcloth down, a frustrated expression on his features as he approaches the door, ready to scold you away but the more he can see you clearly in his vision, the more his brows start furrowing until they're furrowing deep when he finally notices how pale your face is and how much colour has drained out of your lips.

His fingers dive inside the single pocket of his apron, pulling out a key in a swift motion. Inserting the key with a click the glass door opens, your leaning figure against it stumbling.

He steps aside, opening the door wide inside. Dusting your grimy boots, you step into the heat, a sharp exhale of relief finally coming out of you. Behind you, the male closes the door with the familiar soft kick.

The crisp heat of the shop finally envelopes you in the warmth you had been desiring while merely trying to drag yourself in the numb state of yours.

“Lady, who are yo-” Before he can finish his question, your wobbly, numb legs fail you, making you stumble as you end up falling on your knees.

Wide eyed, his warm, soft hand holds your. “Goodness, you're freezing.” Wrapping his fingers around your arms, he lifts you up and helps you walk towards the nearest chair.

You settle down, the warmth supplied by the heater melting down the frost covering your bones, washing you over with the comfort you've been longing for. After the five minutes of struggle, the summer like atmosphere inside the coffee shop feels like you're residing in heaven.

Soft and inviting aroma of freshly roasted beans lingering in the air along with the sweetness of cakes, cookies and pastries making you gulp.

The sudden contact of the male's palm against your forehead makes you yelp softly, bringing you back into the reality.

Gaze focused on you, his eyes continue to scan you with worry. “You're all drenched.” He states, glancing out of the door to take a look outside. “It's not even raining yet you're so drenched. Are you okay?”

Quivering lips of yours open slightly to answer his question but he speaks up again, cutting you off.

“Wait a minute.” Instructing as if you two are acquainted, he walks inside the small door by the counter, disappearing for good two minutes until he returns with some clothes in his hands.

He places a towel, a black shirt and pair of long pajamas in front of you. “It's not much but I hope it helps.” His tone a little awkward, he continues, “Also, there's a small bathroom inside, ivory door.”

Thoughts make a long run inside your mind. Questions rising whether you should be listening to him or accepting his help but in the shivery state that you are in makes it hard to doubt. Plus, his features look friendly without any ill intentions floating in his mind. If he can open the door for a freezing stranger lady then you should place a bet of a percent of trust in him. You're currently not in the state of questioning.

Slowly standing up, your chilled body now adjusting to the warm atmosphere you eye the clothes and without thinking twice you grab a hold of them.

 

“Thank y-you.” Your words stutter due to your slightly shaking lips.


Scurrying away, you enter the door by the counter side, leaving the stranger alone in the awkward air.

As he had instructed, you instantly spot an ivory door opening to reveal a bathroom compressed into a small space, warmer and cozier than the shop.

You step inside, closing and locking the door behind. Removing the wet, greasy sweater, muddy pants and your soaked scarf.  Nose scrunching up at your shoes coated with sludge mud. A pang of guilt hits your chest, you must have left a trail of dirt behind when you walked in.

Removing the grimy boots, you decide to keep your socks.

The towel dries up the wet patches on your cold body. Slipping into the shirt and pajamas he offered you completely drown you within. They're warm and fuzzy, making you feel better instantly. You take a look in the mirror, the words spelled on the shirt confusing you as you tilt your head to the side.

“We serve our muffins small and sweet, just like our owner”

Your eyebrows scrunch up in confusion but you just decide to brush it off.

Folding your wet belongings, you hold them as far as you can from yourself. The clothes holding unpleasant, earthen stench. A little bit waft of it oozing out from you as well.

You grimace at the smell.

Stepping out of the bathroom, you close it behind and walk out of the familiar door beside the counter.

Your eyes instantly land on the male, his back facing you as he continues to mop. You bite your tongue, realising that he is cleaning the stains your boots and dripping clothes left behind but a sudden giggle flutters out of your lips when you notice his small frame for a male, while he moves, understanding the meaning behind the words written on the shirt you're wearing.

He turns around, looking at you, dumbfounded. His cheeks tinting with the soft shade of pink and ears glowing bright as tomato when his eyes land on your shirt.

Clearing his throat, his hand gestures at the warm liquid placed on the counter in front of you. “Help yourself.”

Your heart bursts with joy. How can a stranger be so nice to you?

Your eyes stare at the toasty syrup, eyes ready to well up some tears of joy at the kind gestures of this stranger.

He clears his throat yet again. “Don't worry, I didn't poison it.” In an uneasy tone, he says, making your eyes go wide.

He takes a seat by the table nearest to the door.

You wrap your fingers around the sizzling cup of coffee, tucking your stench filled clothes behind. “Please don't take this wrong way but I'm sincerely touched by such generous favours that also from a stranger.”

His lips lift into a smile at your words. You settle down on the chair, opposite from him, placing your clothes gently on the floor.

He crosses his legs, tucking the mop in a corner while staying seated, helping himself with a cup of coffee as well.

“Are you feeling better now? When I touched your hand, they felt like they had frozen.” A little worry lingering over his features, he questions, maintaining his calm state.

You are quick to nod. “Yes, thank you so much. I was freezing to death, I thought I was going to die” The relief evident in your tone, you reply. “You are really my saviour.”

Those words seem too sudden and a bit overwhelming for him but he tries to offer you a smile. “And I thought you were a customer asking for last minute order despite the shop being closed.”

You chuckle softly at his words. “No, actually, your shop was the only one with lights still on. The rest of the area is closed, your shop was like the last light of hope for me, I was really desperate to get warm.” You finish, your eyes gazing at the tempting hot liquid sitting in front of you with soft flame rising.

The male notices your gaze on the cup of coffee. “It's Caffe latte. It's made from lightly roasted beans, you don't have to worry about sacrificing your sleep. It'll warm you up.”

Your cheeks warm up, realising he must have noticed your hesitant behaviour. You have never been a coffee drinker, you just have never tasted the right coffee for you. His explanation sounded like an alien language to you.

In the silence of the night, the peace embraces the two of you, completely unknown to each other but gently sipping on the toasty and delicious liquid, warming up your bodies on this cold October night.

The taste is just enough and perfect as if it's made keeping your personal preferences in his mind. As you slowly take sips, the rich flavour of coffee and milk blended together satisfies your taste buds, sending the warmth to every part of your body. It feels like you've found the right coffee for you.

Slowly yet steadily due to the lack of talk, awkward air starts arising among the two of you. You take a moment to study his features while sipping from the beverage prepared exclusively by him.

His eyes remind you of almonds, Iris resembling the coffee he makes along with his lips holding the colour blush to them, slightly chapped. You envy his brows, so perfectly shaped and similar to the colour of his eyes. Fluffy hair atop his head, mocha colour. Features so young yet he converses like an adult, you are not able to figure out his age.

He lifts his face upwards slightly, his eyes meeting yours. Afraid of getting caught, you suddenly bore them outside the door, interested in the bone biting cold.

He clears his throat for the third time. “I assume you must be feeling better now. The colour of your face and lips is returning.” His words give you a hint that you aren't the only one who's been glancing every so often at his face when the moment was silent.

Ignoring the warmth spreading in your cheeks, you place the now empty cup of coffee back to its earlier position. “Yes, thanks to you, I feel a lot warmer.” A thankful beam spreads on your lips.

He offers you a soft smile and you are blown by how attractive he looks just wearing a serene smile but it is quickly replaced by his features now wearing confusion. “I'm just slightly curious, it's not raining how did you get so soaked?”

You sigh, the flashback playing your mind. The worst moment of the night. A displeased look appearing on your face. “A car drove past, splashing muddy water from the puddle.” You just wish that you meet the driver someday again and tackle him or her down for giving you such a hard time.

Pretty sure a cold is going to attack you by tomorrow morning. A weird sensation in your nostrils confirms it.

Feeling slightly guilty, you stand up. “I'm really, sincerely sorry for troubling you. I will be sure to repay.”

Suddenly he also stands up, shaking his hands together in denial. “It's nothing. I'm sure if you were in my place you'd do the same.” You are quick to agree with a nod at his words.

“Absolutely but really, I can't be thankful enough. Let me repay you.” You plead, your eyes looking at him wide eyed with hope filled within.

The male shakes his head, hands diving into the pockets of his pants. “Then, how about exchanging our names?”

A sudden realisation dawns upon you. You two had been conversing without even knowing each other's identity. You are suddenly eager to get hold of his name, an angel in humanly disguise.

He pulls out his right hand from his pocket, bringing it forward for you to shake. “My name is Minseok, owner of this shop.”

He has such a beautiful name that suits his confident and attractive self.

You're not even slightly hesitant in locking your hand with his. “I'm Y/N, I work from home.” At your answer, he smiles warmly, gently shaking your hand with his at the greeting you exchange.

An idea pops up in your mind. “I will bring those clothes tomorrow. Is that okay?”

You aren't sure whether you are suggesting to actually return the clothes belonging to him or just finding one more chance to meet him but either way, it's beneficial for both of you.

He gets back his clothes. You get another meeting with him. Maybe you will even try another coffee made by him. A win - win situation.

“Y/N, it's fine. Take your time. I'm glad my shop was open when you were desperate.” His laughter rings in your ears after his words, making you feel slightly flustered.

You both retract your hands back to each other. Your insides feeling all warm and fuzzy by his words.

Eyes glancing at the clock, they widen reading the time. “It's almost eleven of the night. Oh my god, my grandma must be waiting for me and worried!” You exclaim, returning back to reality from the sweet, dream like moment.

Minseok is surprised at the fact as well. “It's way past my time of returning home.”

You bite your tongue, jumping by the table's corner to get hold of your dirty shoes and muddy clothes. “I'm so sorry. Really, I didn't know it was this late or I'd hurried myself.”

Minseok grabs ahold of the cups you both drank from before. “No, don't worry. I'm glad I could help. You should head home, your grandma must be worried.”

You nod at his words, ready to leave but you halt and turn around yet again. “Um, I can wash the cups, it'll be easier for you to leave early.”

He too, turns around. “Y/N, really, there's no need for that. It's late, walk home safely. I will see you soon.”

You almost jump at the, ‘I will see you soon’. You can't help but think of meeting him again either.

“Oh, and Minseok?” You say, he places the cups in the sink, diverting his attention back towards you. The two of you standing on the opposite sides of the room.

“Yes?” He questions.

You smile softly. “It was really nice meeting you. Thank you for your help.”

A wide smile, eye to eye, takes over his lips as well. His hand sneaking to the nape of his neck. “It was nice meeting you too, Y/N.”

You can't help yourself but say one last thing to him. “Also, the words on the shirt you offered speak the truth.”

Your teasing comment catches him off guard, his ears turning bright red as tomato and cheeks holding the slight pink tint. “Well, they suit your small frame too.”

The unexpected response makes the blood rush to your cheeks, stronger and brighter than before.

Smiling widely to yourself, you step outside in the cold, glancing back at the coffee shop through the foggy door and eyes following the moving frame of Minseok.

The cozy and warm coffee shop bidding you goodbye, making it harder for you to walk away.

The sign on top of the shop, slightly tinted but holding the original beauty and art to it, reading, ‘Munchkin Muffins’, flashing beautifully in the vibrant colour of rose gold. The name of the coffee shop makes you smile even brighter than before. You grin ear to ear.

You capture the comforting image of the coffee shop in your eyes, making your way home to giggle loudly and remember the night that started out as the worst night ever but ended up getting know an amazing person whom you can't wait for to meet up again.    


                                              ♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

 


This Sunday morning at Mary's Roses, the flower shop bustling with vibrant floral colours, lulling fragrances wafted by the flowers and the inviting earthen essence is usual as every Sunday morning.

The beauty and welcoming atmosphere Mary's Roses holds cannot be found at any other florists in the entire city. The shop splashed entirely with the shade of ivory from the outside but every counter, every shelf and every furniture in ebony, the black complimenting and completing the white.

The old owner, Mary with weak bones is settled in the farther most edge of the room in her comfortably cushioned wooden chair, experience pooling out of her magical fingers as she brings the plain, transparent vase to life by filling it shades of hues and pastels.

Permanent full timer, Ruby also the owner's grand daughter's best friend is occupied with keeping the October stock fresh for business, snipping and spraying water at the Irises, Roses, Gerberas and several other ones, spread wide and fresh, full of life. Along with her work, she continues to shoot daggers at her best friend, you, busy on a very persuading phone call.

When you woke up this morning, feeling a slight tickle in your nose of the cold but filled with warmth inside by the memories and thoughts of the attractive yet kind coffee shop owner, you couldn't help but welcome the imaginary fantasies. You had been looking forward to open the shop to receive the October stock and look after the shop until Ruby arrives for her shift but what you had not seen coming is a phone call from your department's manager, half begging and half ordering you to do someone else's work.

Working as a translator from home is your favourite job but not when other's burden is placed over your shoulders.

“Delia, I have told you so many times I'm not going to do someone else's work.” A frustrated sigh falls through your lips as you lean against the shelf board holding vases and pots.

A glare shoots towards you from the other side of the room, your Grandma's warm eyes warning you to be careful around the delicate vases and pots, making you sigh yet again for the nth time.

You can also figure out the virtual glare Delia aiming at you from the other line of the cell phone at your denial.

“Just keep saying NO!” Perched against the cashier platform, your friend, Ruby mouths aggressively, eyes flaring with rage.

All this debate gives you an urge to slam your head right into the container of roses filled with sharp thorns.

Delia's bitter voice screeches in your ears. “Y/N, I need to mail those translated scripts by tomorrow morning ten.” A deep breath. “Please, I will give you Ray's bonus.” Now, her voice pleads.

The mention of the word, ‘Bonus’ makes you bite your tongue.

Time to give in.

“Fine, I'll mail you the finished script by eight of the morning tomorrow.” Your manager sighs out in relief on the other line at your words.

You can feel Ruby rolling her eyes at you even though you aren't looking.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” A little bit of strain and stress gone from the manager's voice, she thanks you profusely.

Clearing your throat, you reply in a slight strict voice. “Do not forget about the bonus, Delia.”

With a series of, ‘No, no’ she thanks you yet again, expressing how grateful she is before ending the call offering you the weight of work to translate five sets of script by tomorrow.

Even working from home is not a piece of cake.

Your friend places the bucket of roses on your wooden counter with a thud along with pair of sharp scissors. “And the fish takes the bait.” Her eyes shooting lasers, she mumbles.

You duck your head down, trying to avoid her eyes while your fingers massage your temples.

“We saw it coming.” Your grandma chuckles from the other end of the room, slender yet shaky fingers busy doing their magic on the glass vase to decorate it with alluring swirls and designs.

Annoyed, you slam your palms on the table top, making your irritation obvious in front of the duo, teamed up to emotionally torture you.

Throwing your hands up, you pull the bucket closer and pull out a rose to snip its thorns. “I'm getting extra money!” Exclaiming, you continue the snip - snap.

Ruby throws a napkin which lands straight on your face. “Remember the last time she promised you a bonus but gave it to that fellow Ray anyway because he wooed her!”

You wince at her words and your Grandma's thumbs up which she holds up at your friend.

With a determined expression, you fire back. “I won't let her get away this time!”

Now it's your Grandma's turn to throw one of her color tubes at you, hitting your neck with a  soft pinch. “We've heard that too, honey.”

Ruby slides towards the old lady, both of them slapping their palms together at the teamwork.

You slump in your seat, the hard stool uncomfortable. “You two exist to agitate me.”

They both wear a ‘Are-you-serious’ expression at your statement.

The old lady fixes her glasses on her nose. “And you honey, give in too easily.” She winks before focusing on her masterpiece.

Kicking the stool aside with a soft blow, you hug the bucket of roses close to your chest, picking it up and stuffing the pair of scissors into your pants pocket.

“Fine. You two continue your discussion and tease play about how easy and naive I am.” Stumbling a little nearby the storage room door you throw tantrums like a kid, ignoring amused looks you are receiving from your best friend and grandmother. “I am going to be in the storage, snipping the thorns if anyone needs me other than teasing, do call me.”

Turning around, you don't look back and slam the door after your entrance, trying not to pay attention to their successful laughter.

It is a routine. Delia will call you pleading you to do someone's unfinished work. You will agree after a little whining and Delia promising you an extra bonus which you have only received once in your lifetime, your best friend and grandmother playing around with you and then later comes your exclusive childlike tantrums.

Shrugging it off, you settle against the small chair accompanied by a table as small as the chair and continue cutting the sharp thorns of the delicate, blood red roses.

The storage reeks of manure and mud, stacked above each other in a corner and an entire cupboard filled with colourful papers and ribbons of various widths and patterns.

While you work in the silent for the next few minutes, you hear the bell of the shop, jingling with soft melody, signaling a customer's entrance. Your brain instantly plays the, “Hello, how can I help you?” In Ruby's voice.

The start of the rush hour.

The muffled voices continue seeping through the storage room door with some difficulty.

“Y/N, are you deaf? Bring a box of manure!”

You are startled by your grandmother's shout barely making it through the door but still a little audible for you.

Wiping your slightly damp fingers on your sweater in a hurry, you pick up the bulky box of manure and reach out for the door before your grandma screams your name on top of her lungs again.

Suddenly, the door opens, flashing the bright white lights of the shop and the beaming sunlight, blinding you for a second in the storage room with very little glow.

Eyes trying to adjust in the bright surroundings, you make out a male figure standing in front the storage door approaching you slowly.

Maybe you're not visible to him.

“Wait, wait!” You try to make him aware of your presence but it's too late.

His body bumps against the box, sending the box back towards your stomach with a small stabbing pain and your fingers curling as the box slips gently out of your hold but the male is quick to grasp it in his hold, bringing it back between you.

A soft, familiar voice speaks up. “I'm so sorry.” His tone is filled with regret.

Unfolding your fingers with the soft sting still throbbing a little, you hold the box along with him before pushing him backwards towards shop. His boots make rustling sound against the wooden floor.

You stop in your tracks, looking at the male's face.

“What happened?” Ruby's voice speaks up, followed quickly with a loud groan in annoyance. “Y/N, stop pushing him back!”

Thankfully, your fingers are tightly clasped around the box but the shock is evident on your features after recognizing the male.

“Minseok?” You mumble.

There he stands, looking active and neater than last night. His handsome face mirroring your shocked expression, body clad in comfortable tank top, giving you a view of his biceps that you couldn't witness last night, making you gulp nervously at how worked up he looks, sturdy and strong. Droplets of sweat on his forehead and a scrunch between his chocolatey eyebrows which you wish to smoothen down with the pad of your thumb.

“What are you doing here?” Both of you ask in a monotone.

Similar amused laughter escapes from both of you.

“Mr. Kim, you know my Y/N?” Your grandmother's voice pipes in between, eyes looking at both of you suspiciously.

Oh no. Your old, hoping Grandma has a bad habit of digging in too deep.

Minseok's grip on the box becomes even tighter as he takes it completely out of your hold. “I've got it.” He says with a soft smile before turning around to answer your Grandma.

Please don't tell her about yesterday, please don't tell her about yester-

“Yes. She's visited my coffee shop once for a cup of coffee and we bonded instantly.” His back muscles flex as he answers your Grandma's question, turning his face slightly around to offer you a wink.

Your breath catches in your throat, legs turning into jelly.

Ruby sneakily notices the exchange between the two of you, her elbow nudging you in the stomach, poking for explanation.

You give her a quick nod, mouthing ‘Later’, still shaky.

The old lady stands up groggily from her seat. “Ah, really? My Y/N hasn't really been a coffee person but it's good to see she steps out and meets nice people.”

Before the suspicion rises, you step between Minseok and your grandmother.

“Nanna, you know how Ruby is. Making me try new things, right Ruby?” You're inwardly praying that your best friend gets the idea and burries down the increasing, obvious suspicion of your Grandma.

Ruby looks at you wide eyed before smiling brightly at her boss. “That's right. With the extra work she takes, she needs her coffee dose.”

By the corner of your eye, you notice the attractive male trying to hide how much he is enjoying this situation.

“Don't think so much, Nanna” You say with a very awkward laughter at which you earn an eyebrow raise from your Grandma. “Plus, Minseok makes the best coffee in this city, doesn't he?” You blink twice, innocently.

At your question, the old lady's suspecting demeanor melts down in a swift motion. She claps her hand together. “Of course, Minseok's coffee is the best.”

Ruby and you nod furiously together while Minseok's ears and cheeks hold the shade of crimson.

Still shy, he says. “Oh no, you all flatter me. I just try my best.”

Your grandma approaches him, her strong palm patting his back. “Now, gentleman don't be so modest. We all adore your coffee.” She turns her head to look at you. “Don't forget to give him the receipt, Y/N.”

You instantly nod your head.

And with that, she walks inside the storage, to collect another vase or a pot to decorate.

Ruby returns to the other counter instead of cashier counter and you're left alone to collect money from Minseok.

“So, you work as a florist from home?” He inquires, placing the heavy box on the counter as you print out a receipt after inserting the amount. His warm gaze melting you like a marshmallow in the hot chocolate. “Because I haven't seen you around the shop. It's always Mary.”

He smells so rich, like coffee.

You shake your head, pulling out the printed receipt while trying your best to ignore Ruby's intruding gaze and hiding the scarlet shade spreading widely on your cheeks.

You hand him the receipt as he pays. “I work from home as a translator.” He nods at your words, you continue, “I just help Nanna with the shop in my free time rather than sitting idly.”

He carefully listens to every word you speak and nods, taking the receipt from your hands. “That's really great. Are you feeling better after yesterday?” Propping his elbow against the manure container, he places his chin on his palm.

Ruby's ears perk up at his question and your lips turn dry at his angelic expression.

your dry lips, you look up at him. “Oh yes, thanks to you, I'm healthy as a horse!”

Soft laughter rings out of him, making you smile along.

He tucks the receipt carefully into the pocket of his jeans and lifts the box in his hold. “My mother is a regular customer here, I came here today in her stead to pick up the manure for her backyard, she adores gardening.” The way he talks about his mother with such an adorning expression gives you an glimpse that he is kind as the people around him. “Anyways”, He says, ready to walk out of the door. “Drop by soon.”


You want to enthusiastically wave at him and nod as much possible to assure him that you will definitely drop by more than once but you keep your excitement tuned down and decide to offer him a smile instead. “Of course I will!”

He is happy to hear your answer.

He is ready to step out but stops in his tracks, turning around. “Oh and don't take this wrong way but I need that shirt I gave you last night.” His right hand sneaks into the back of his neck, eyes avoiding yours. The habit when he's uncertain. “It's a sample, I need to submit the design to make more for my staff.” Finally, he looks up at you with an apologetic expression.

“Don't worry. I will bring it tomorrow.” You assure him with two thumbs up popping out of nowhere, regretting the poor attempt instantly.

You can see it that he's holding in his bubbling laughter which he avoids by coughing softly. “See you soon, Y/N.”

Concealing your embarrassment you wave back softly, waiting for his back to disappear after he steps out of the door.

“Y/N! Sit. Now!”

Ruby's voice commands and you're all ready to answer each and every question she has about this beautiful stranger who asked you to return his shirt from last night.


                                            ♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬



The owner of the cozy cafe, Minseok, is occupied with making a cup of the French press coffee for his best friend, Jongdae as the rush hour has finally ended.

The male rubs his palms together, ready to perform the art of making coffee that he has learned efficiently. The jet black, smoothened material of his apron is neatly tied around his waist in a perfect knot with not one crease visible, even if someone is to find it with a magnifying glass. Crisp, pale shirt buttoned up to the collar and tucked in a perfect fold into his pants, shade similar as the apron.

Yoora, the part-timer is busy stacking, arranging and cleaning the glass showcase, displaying variety of sweets to choose from. Plenty of delicious options to grab along with a warm cup of coffee. Donuts, croissant, cupcakes and other mouth watering desserts.

Shuffling can be heard from the pantry behind the counter, a wide rectangular opening displaying another hard working part-timer, Aron, moving back and forth to clean the marble floor inside.

The cafe occupied by only three customers, busy in their own world, serene silence surrounds them.

Minseok and the workers can finally relax a little after the rush hour while preparing for another. The owner's best friend is scheduled to show up soon and as usual the owner is busy making his friend's favourite coffee.

Slender fingers of his fabric of his shirt around his wrists, rolling it upwards in a swift motion to focus on the task in front of him. The stopwatch that he uses to make each drop of coffee taste the best beeps, signaling him to stop. He slowly presses down the plunger all the way downwards of the French press.

Jongdae should be here soon. If the coffee sits for too long in the French press, it turns bitter.

“I have arrived!” A loud voice shakes the entire cafe as if a lion has released a thunderous roar.

The girl by the corner table jumps a little before focusing back into her assignment.

Thinking of the devil and he arrives, Minseok thinks to himself, smiling a little.

The owner grabs a mug, pouring the sizzling coffee carefully before setting it in on the counter.

His best friend settles down on a chair by the counter, placing his small case down.

“Yoora, a cupcake please.” Jongdae says before diverting his attention back to his friend who's untying the apron.

Minseok arches his right eyebrow upwards, placing his apron aside, “What is it?” He asks with an exhausted expression.

The owner's best friend pushes the coffee towards the owner on the other side of the counter. “You need this coffee more than I do.” He says, crossing his legs.

The owner makes a funny expression at his best friend, pushing it back towards the one he made it for.

Yoora places saucer with a small chocolate cupcake timidly in front of Jongdae who looks up at her and offers her a quick wink, making the poor girl turn red as beetroot.

Minseok sighs on the other side. “Yoora, stop being so obvious. Jongdae, stop flirting with my employee.”

The girl protests by lifting up her finger, stating, “I'm not flirting!” Before getting back to her chores, red as before.

The best friend simply shrugs, taking sip of his coffee. “Cut me some slack. I had to take five lessons today.”

The owner helps himself with a glass of water to accompany his best friend. “I had to help mum with her backyard.”

Jongdae laughs, shutting his eyes. “You sound like a five year old, whining.”

“Not. Why five lessons today?” Minseok inquires Jongdae.

Jongdae's shoulders drop, signifying that he is going to have busy days from now on. “I have to fill in for other professor. Teaching first years is hard, I have to start from the basics. I like my class better.”

Minseok was aware that Jongdae works really hard, being a music professor in one of the most biggest art based University has been both amazing and hard for him.

Lifting himself up, Minseok gets hold of a cloth to wipe the counter clean for the upcoming evening rush hour, just two hours away. “Start expecting all black for you from tomorrow onwards.” He says.

Jongdae fakes a gesture of wiping fake tears underneath his eyes. “What will I do without you, my love?”

The owner chuckles, “Well for starters you'd be bored.” He answers his best friend's playful question.

The best friend rolls his eyes. “As if. I won't be missing your dad jokes, just your coffee.” He says, lifting up the cup of coffee and finishing it with a large gulp.

Minseok snatches the mug away, placing in the sink to be washed later, annoyed by his friend's answer.

“Minseok, where's the sample shirt that I left here last night?” Aron's voice echoes from the pantry, followed by his face appearing from the opening, a puzzled expression on his features.

The owner clamps his lips shut.

Jongdae leaves his seat to get behind the counter where Minseok is. “So, the girl you told me about is a true story?”

“What girl?” Aron inquires.

Yoora's head snaps towards their conversation.

Minseok bites down onto his lower lip. “I'll give you the shirt tomorrow.” He answers, gesturing his employee to get back to work, ignoring the pestering gaze.

Before Yoora can ask something, the owner speaks up. “Get back to work.”

Jongdae looks at his best friend, hands crossed. “I thought you were making up a story.”

Minseok leans against the counter sideways. “I don't lie about my love life like you do.”

The best friend clutches his shirt where his heart is. “Ouch. But really, is she cute?” He wiggles his eyebrows, curious eyes awaiting a response.

Minseok glances down, a shy smile forming on his lips, eye to eye. “Very.”


                                             ♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬



The words to describe your current mood are, nervous, anxious, fidgety.

You have no idea why you are standing in front of munchkin muffins at eight of morning, fingers clutching the shirt now lavender scented after you washed it last night, ironed it and placed it safely in your cupboard.

Yesterday after your surprising encounter with Minseok, suspicious Grandma and Ruby's numerous questions that she did not quit asking you until you threatened her that you will tell Nanna that it was her who broke her small pots, you felt giddy to meet him the very next day to return the shirt he asked for.

Not just giddy but very eager as well.

Even though you worked till two of midnight, received only four hours of sleep for the day, you just wanted to meet him, alone.

But, you hadn't expected a ‘Closed’ sign greeting you instead of Minseok's smiling face welcoming you.

“Y/N, why are you here so early?” A soft voice whispers near your ear, warm breath washing all over your neck as you jump in your spot.

Your back collides with a chest, a yelp escaping through your lips as two hands grasp onto your shoulders. “Are you always unstable when you are around me?” A low yet recognizable voice of Minseok speaks dangerously close to your neck.

With a quick turn, you are greeted by his coffee coloured eyes lit up with a glint, the rest of his face covered with a white mask.

Your breath hitches at how close you both are to each other.

“Um, I came here to return your shirt.” The words fall through your lips with short pauses in between, voice timid due to the distance between you two.

A part of you is praying that he never lets go, a part of you wishing for him to let go as soon as possible before your heart jumps out of your chest.

Contrary to the first night you met, instead of coffee, he smells like morning sea with a hint of chocolate blended along.

Noticing the grasp and your wide eyed stare, he quickly lets go of his hold on your arm and takes a step backwards.

Clearing his throat he speaks. “Thank you. Would you like to come inside for a coffee?” He questions, fingers diving into his jeans pocket, fishing out the cafe key. His eyes scan your face, a look of worry taking over his alluring features. “You look like you need it.”

His statement rings the bell of realization in your mind, reminding you about your panda sized eyebags and dark circles as result of lack of sleep. God, how much you wish to make a run down the street towards your house to fix your face some more.

Minseok unlocks the front door, opening it wide before stepping inside. As you had imagined, he stands there with a beam, an inviting smile. “Come on in!”

Ignoring the worries about your appearance, you step inside and he closes the door behind, his small frame yet tall for you working swiftly to turn on the lights, heater.

The entire cafe comes to life. The luminous white light floods inside entirely, illuminating each and every corner of the comforting cafe. The freezing showcase comes to life, displaying the empty trays to be arranged with fresh desserts and snacks for the day. The round tables and soft plush chairs glistening brightly under the light, clean with no speck of dust.

You watch in an awe, standing in middle of the cafe as he moves around quickly like an excited little kid, looking forward to his day and planning the arrangements.

The way he removes his long, black coat and hangs it aside. The way his fingers work at tying the apron behind his back in a tight knot. In a quick motion, turning on all the machines to prepare the coffee for morning customers.

Finally, he turns around and gives all his attention to you. “Why are you standing there? Take a seat.” His hand gestures at the chair by the counter before he turns on the tap to wash his hands.

Nodding, you settle down and place the shirt on the counter. “The shirt you have been asking for.”

He lifts up his eyes to meet yours. “I wasn't that desperate to have the shirt back. It was just an excuse to invite you here.” Offering you a wide, pearly smile, he says.

That wasn't an answer you were expecting.

Warmth rushed all the way up to your face, your ears suddenly puffing out smoke and sweat ready to trickle down your forehead in this cold weather.

“Really?” With a gulp, you manage to ask.

A serious expression takes over his features, eyebrows scrunching, eyes staring into your soul. “No, I was joking.”

Yet another surprising response, a dark one at that makes you gulp yet again.

Unknowingly, you stutter. “S-sorry.”

His sudden laughter rings in your ears, taking you aback yet again. “I was kidding! You take everything so seriously.”

Your eyes turn wide as his words. “Minseok! You scared me there for a second!”

Throwing his head back, he laughs uncontrollably. Working on the first cup of coffee for the morning, the first cup of coffee for you.

Dropping your shoulders, you laugh as well, his contagious laughter drawing you in.

He moves towards the switch board, turning off the coffee machine. “It's your first time trying all black, right?” He inquires before pouring it into the cup and another one for himself.

Interested, you nod. “Is it bitter?” You question, staring at the black liquid that he pours for you.

Instead of answering, he approaches you from behind the counter, both of his hands holding the cups as he places one down for you and holds the other one for himself.

The fact that he looks so professional yet playful standing in front of you, makes you wonder if he is an angel descended from heaven.

“Why don’t you try and find out?” As he pushes the cup in front of you, you eye the dark liquid, resembling dark black ink.

You look at him then eye the coffee again.

He nods at you in confirmation.

Wrapping your gloved fingers around the  heated cup, you lift it up to your lips and he watches silently.

You hesitate a little, inhaling the rich scent of coffee filling up your entire nostrils, the strong scent inviting you. Giving you an urge to try, you blow a little on the liquid and take a quick sip.

The rich yet slightly dark flavour kicks into your system. You expected yourself to cough it out of bitterness but instead it's not that bad, it's bearable and you're sure it's going to wake the daylights out of you.

Smiling, you look up at him. “It's not as bitter as I expected.”

Minseok smiles at your words, leaning further. “That's because I went easy on you. I didn't make it as strong as I always do.”

Continuing to sip the dark liquid, you start feeling a little courageous around him, courageous enough to pass a teasing comment. “Really? How thoughtful of you. It's almost as energetic as your smile.”

Oh god.

Realising what you just said makes you regret it instantly. Maybe you went a little too ahead, you shouldn't have been so straightforward. You bore your eyes into the dark liquid, afraid to meet his gaze.

His voice breaks the little silence. “And here I thought I was the only one crushing on you.”

Your head snaps upwards instantly at his words. Ears not believing what you just heard. “Crushing on me?”

He leans further into the counter, propping his elbow against it, placing his chin on his lifted arm.

“Why? You don't think you're cute enough for me to like you?”

The cup almost slips out of your hand, but your fingers grasp onto it tightly. Eyes wider than they are supposed to be, you stare at him, your surprise evident to him.

“I'm cute enough?” You repeat his words.

He snickers, pink cheeks puffing out. “Beyond that.”

You place the cup on the counter, palms covering your mouth with a gasp slipping through. “Oh my god, you like me.”

 

Your mind starts processing the almost impossible fact.


Placing his cup down as well, Minseok laughs at your unexpected reaction and stands straight.

Before he can answer gleefully, a look of worry creeps over his features. “Oh wait, you're really surprised. Was I too forward? If the feelings aren't mutual, then god, it's going to be really awkward between us.”

The disappointment starts taking over him but you're quick to stand up, suddenly feeling energetic enough to take over the entire world. “No, no! I like you as well! You're the most beautiful and kind person I've ever met.”

He finally relaxes, exhaling a sigh of relief. The disappointment slowly draining out of his features, your words setting inside him, making you smile bright as the sun. “That's a very nice answer. Tell me more.” Wiggling his eyebrows at you, he asks teasingly.

Pink tint spreads over your cheeks, eyes shutting widely at the embarrassment of your desperate and quick answer setting in.

You feel hands on your shoulders.

“Y/N, it's okay.” In a soft, calming voice, he says.

Keeping your one eye closed, you peek at him through other, studying his blissful aura.

The proximity of your faces sends a shiver down your spine.

He leans in and the essence of beach washes over your face.

“Don't worry.” In an assuring tone, he says.

You aren't worried. You're anticipating. The way his fingers are lightly holding you together, gently wrapped around your shoulders. His face so close to yours, giving you a view to inspect his angelic features.

His fluttering eyelashes, cat like sharp eyes. Lips curled into the shape of number three, almost making you swoon at the adorableness of it.

He closes the distance between but instead of placing his lips against yours, they peck the skin of your cheek, increasing the thumping of your heart by hundred times faster than normal one. The soft touch and simple gesture ready to melt you all over the marble floor, like the snow melting under the warmth of the sun, embracing the wonderful feeling supplied by it.


If this is how ecstatic you are feeling by a peck on your, you wonder how you'll feel when his will lips finally meet yours.

“So, this is the girl Professor Jongdae mentioned yesterday.” A foreign voice makes the two of you jump apart.

Aron stands by the door, a smirk playing over his lips. Minseok knows this expression, he isn't going to get away with this. Aron is going to tell Yoora, Yoora is going to tell Jongdae and all three of them are going to team up to make Minseok blush profusely the entire following day.

Whereas, Y/N just hides her face into the collar of her coat, too shy to look up at the owner of the unfamiliar voice.

Minseok clears his throat. “I swear if you tell anyone. I'll cut half of your pay.”

The employee scoffs, walking forward, not believing the empty threat. “As if.” Rolling his eyes, the young boy looks at you, chuckling at your all red expression. “Whatever you do, don't fuel in his ego of telling more dad jokes.”

“Aron!” The owner says sternly, giving his employee a sharp glare.

“I hope you see you around!” The boy yells before disappearing inside the pantry door.

Minseok shakes his head.

You rub your palms furiously together, pressing them against your cheeks as he turns around, eyes studying your embarrassed expression.

A shy one spreading on his features as well.

“So dad jokes, huh?” You ask.

He looks up at you. A pleasing glint in his eyes. “Do you want to hear one?”

Settling back in your previous seat, you look at him, giving him a nod with a wide smile.

Like an excited child, he rubs his palm together before taking a seat right beside you.

Both of you are aware, that it is starting with him excitedly telling you his jokes that he adores but it is going to continue into something much more.

Much more memorable and beautiful.


 

 

♬♩♪♩ The end. ♩♪♩♬