Harmony

The Loser Club

  It had been about two weeks since their first night in the library, and the boys were as happy as they could be. After school they would stuy for an hour or so, then go to the arcade. Jae'e Korean skills had improved a lot really fast with the help of his friends, and was barely using his dictionary anymore. Brian had no doubt about who his real friends were, Sungjin was acting more like a father to everyone than their own parents, Dowoon was having full conversations and staying awake in class too. The most impressive thing however was that Wonpil was looking up, looking people in the eye, and letting himself be seen. Being in a strong group of friends had allowed him to come out of his shell, and even keep his anxieties down. He knew he had people to support him, so nothing seemed impossible. He wasn't cured though. He still had fears. 

  They all sat their usual table during lunch, only the five of them now, having their own private conversations. The other student's had almost cast them out, now that cliques were becoming more permenant. Brian quickly pulled out a flyer for a school tallent show, looking to his friends. "Guys, I found this today and I really really think we should do something!" he was so excited, basically yelling. Jae was automatically on board, high fiving Brian. The other three looked a little skeptical though. "Well, small problem guys... we all know you're insanely handsome, but can any of us actually do anything?" Wonpil spoke up. They all looked at Wonpil in shock at what he said, bursting out laughing. "No, I'm serious!" he whined at the others. Dowoon nodded, gently rubbing Wonpil's arm as a sign of support. 

"He's right, Do any of us actually have tallents?' Sungjin spoke up, and the others fell silent for a few moments. 

"I can play guitar, and sing a little." Jae added, all eyes on him. "I mean, I'm not great but...We can try." He laughed nervously. 

"I play the drums, and Sungjin Hyung sings!" Dowoon muttered after a few seconds.

"Yah, I'm not that good.." Sungjin murmured, blushing slightly. 

"I...I play piano and sing.." Wonpil spoke up slowly

Brian grinned widely, clapping his hands together. "Guys, come to my place after school today, and we can practice, okay?" 

Wonpil instantly felt his heart begin to race. "I.. I dont know if I can perform in front of people guys.." 

 Dowoon quickly wrapped his arms around the other, trying to comfort him. Sungjin smiled and ruffled his hair. "If not, we can always do something else too, okay Pili?" They all knew how self conscious the other was, but then again they all were in some way.

  There had been some rumors rolling around that their group was full of "losers", and they all hated it. They were all nice people, but I guess they weren't what you could call popular. Maybe this could be a good form of redemption. 

  After class they met up at the library and headed towards the subway station, making plans to figure out something for the tallent show at Brian's house. It was the only house that was empty, so it was all they had. Wonpil held onto Sungjin's arm as they walked to the subway station, getting more nervous as the mass of people surrounded them. Brian gave the younger a few small words of encouragement as they boarded the train. They occupied one side of the car, all sitting side by side. The ride wasnt long, and soon they made their way up into Brian's appartment. It was well kept, clean, and rather large. His family was fairly well off, and always away, so they had time to figure out if they could get something put together.

  Once inside Brian led the four boys to his room, grabbing his guitar off of the stand and strumming a few chords. "Jae, here, you play." He smiled softly and handed Dowoon a text book "You can make a beat on this, right?" Dowoon nodded and started tapping away on the book. Wonpil grabbed his notebok and started writing out some lyrics that came to mind, Sungjin and Brian beginning to vocalize. They all seemed to impress eachother as they actually managed to get a pretty solid arangement going. After a few hours they practiced a few cover songs, deciding on which one they would want to perform with. 

Wonpil was scared about an actual performance though, and so was Dowoon. "I don't have a real drum set, and they'll all laugh if I'm using books." 

Sungjin had an idea, grinning widely. "Hey, how about we do a busking? We can sit outside and take turns playing guitar, and sing."  The whole room went quiet as the boys sat an thought about how that would work, if they could actually make any money out on the street performing. Wonpil of all people stood up and started to sing a little bit of "Just the way you are." by Bruno Mars in his broken English, wanting to show the other boys that he could really do this. Everyone fell silent and listened, clapping and hugging him when they finished. "Pili, you should be our lead singer! You, and Brian hyung!" Dowoon cheered excitedly. Wonpil blushed and slowly nodded his head. "I can try." 

The night went very well indeed, the boys all getting more and more excited about perfrming together.

Brian hummed out in thought "So we can have rehearsals here on fridays, my parents always work late." 

"My mom is usually out late on wednesdays too, so you can come to our house." Dowoon offered. 

"Alright, so two rehearsals a week, and we have two weeks until the tallent show."  Sungjin reminded them all, double cheking thepaper that Brian had handed them earlier. 

  Two weeks wasn't a whole lot of time, and they ony had two old guitars to their name. They had to manage to get some sort of drum soon, maybe the school could let them borrow something. They were all nervous, but excited about getting together in a little band. They spent the rest of the night eating ramen and going over more lyrics they had all jotted down, Brian proving to really have a musical ear. Wonpil ended up falling asleep on the couch after eating, the other four sighing softly as they spoke, trying to keep quiet. 

"We need to help him keep calm, and I don't know how to help him. What if he really does freak out on stage? I don't want him to get hurt." Brian uttered softly. Sungjin nodded and tapped on his chin in thought. "Maybe we can try some kind of therapy, or like talk him down before we perform?" Dowoon shook his head. "No, he won't react right to that, hyung. He's really scared and sensitive." Jae nodded slowly. "I think we just need to help him get his confidence up. He's a really sweet guy." They all nodded in agreemnet. working on a way to boost his confidence. They always were looking out for eachother, always wanting everyone to be safe and feel loved. 

Wonpil slowly woke up and rubbed at his eyes, adjusting his glasses. He saw everyone clustered together and smiled softly. "Talking about me, huh?" he laughed before joining them all. "I actually got an idea while I was asleep. If we can't get any instruments, maybe we can just do harmonies... we all have different vocal ranges, right?" he smiled up at the others. Sungjin grinned widely and everyone praised him. That was the idea they needed. 

"Wonpil, you're a genius, really! " Jae patted him on the back. 

Sungjin smiled from ear to ear, watching the younger begin to glow with pride. "Maybe that should be our band name too. Harmony." 

  They all turned their attention to Sungjin and nodded their heads, smiling. They all put their hands together and said the name in unison. Everything felt like it was falling into place. With the night ending on a high note, the boys left Brian's house for the night, all excited to meet up the next day and try a bit of busking.