Teachers Pet

The Loser Club

The sky was gray and drab, but Sungjin was always excited when school began. He was a good student, pretty social, and he thought he was well liked. The round faced boy from Busan was a little bit of a teacher's pet, but he never minded. He always wanted to be seen as nice, and never be rude to anyone. He walked quickly to the building, almost enjoying the cool breeze and rain. It would freshen things up, keep everything green a bit longer, and maybe even was away some bad summer memories. He shook out his umbrella and headed inside, instantly beginning to guide some of the first year students that were brave enough to come and ask a question. He was proud of them for being brave, and told them not to be so scared before heading to his class. He sat down on one of the desks and greeted everyone by name, at least untill a tall strager walked in. 

He stood up and greeted him as usual, telling him to take a seat and enjoy himself before class began. Something seemed different about him though, clearly he was from out of town. He shrugged it off until right before lunch, deciding to offer help to the newbie in the only way he knew how. He tutored for free, and always figured he could be a helping hand. He gave the other the flyer, and headed to the cafeteria for lunch. His table was always open to anyone, so often random peopel would sit and have a conversation with him, as well as some familiar faces from years past. His eye was drawn to the tallest male in the room, calling over to him. He panicked, realiing he never got his name. 

"Hey, Tall guy!' He had almost yelled, relaxing as the other actually came over. 

 Jaehyung had introduced himself at that point, but seemed shy, so Sungjin continued to speak with the others at the table. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a small book in Jae'a lap, staring for a few moments. A dictionary? Why would he need that? Maybe he was learning english. He brushed it off and continued to talk, eating his food between conversations. Lunch ended and he walked back wiht Jaehyung, making some small talk, but the other didn't seem very interested. He had never had someone dislike him before. What was he doing wrong? 

 He sat down in his desk and took diligent notes while the professor spoke, but he couldn't get that thought out of his mind. He glanced across the room and out the window, the sky still gray. Perhaps it was normal not to be liekd by everyone. He was always so friendly, usually people were that way in return too. He couldn't shake the feeling that he had done something wrong. Class ended and he said goodbye to a few of his friends before heading down to the main lobby, handing out his turoring flyers to more and more people as they passed. A smile stayed plastered on his face, but that nagging thought was still there. Maybe he was too friendly? Could that actually be the case? It didn't matter, now he was trying to meet others, so he couldn't let Jaehyung stay on his mind. 

 He stayed after class for an hour or so, helping hand out some paperwork and guide the first year students to after school activities and cllubs. He was only a second year student, but many people thought he was older due to his appearance and wit. He took it as a compliment, and tried to be as helpful as possible. He had a lot of reponsiblities as only child, and it didn't help that he was living on his own. His family was from Busan, but he had been given permission to come to this school due to his scores. He left his family in Busan, and now stayed with a family friend. He had lived with them for about a year now, and their son became a brother to him, at least he saw it that way. 

  He headed to the house with a smile, humming a melody as he walked carelessly through the rain. Is there such a thing as being too friendly? There was that nagging thought again. He shook his head and smield, greeting some people on his street as he approached the house. He opened up the door to what seemd to be an empty home. He wondered how his "Brother," had done on his first day. 

  He took a few steps toward the bedroom door and knocked, but there was no response. Je opened the door to see the other boy asleep in his bed. Sungjin stood there for a moment and noticed the uniform hanging on the closet door, perfectly ironed still. He never wore it. He never got up this morning. 

-------

  Dowoon woke up early in hte morning, thanks to his mother kissing him on the head before leaving for work. He groaned and grumbled, turning over in bed a few timed before sitting up and rubbing at his eyes. "mm... its too dark, it can't be time for school yet." He murmured, shifting again before hiding under the blankets. He heard Sungjin getting ready for class, the older male leaving early to assist the other students, he had been talking about it all week long. They were supposed to walk together, but when the older boy entered his bedroom Dowoon simply uttered. "I know how to get there, its not far, I'll be there before class starts, don't worry." Sungjin believed him, and left without a second thought. Dowoon groaned and stayed under his blankets.

   His older sister had decided to stay in Busan for school with their father, while he and his mother moved to seoul. She wanted what was best for him, and heer career brought her here, so of course he had to go. One morning his mother announced that an older boy would be living with them, the son of her friend from college. Dowoon liked privacy, he didn't like to be bothered, and he didn't like school. He didn't like the idea, but it wasn't all that bad. Now he had someoe to help him do chores and clean, so he took the opportunity to sleep. The first year with SUngjin living there was strange, the older boy automatically thought they were best friends. Dowoon was shy, quiet, and kept to himself. Sungjin was the opposit of that. 

  Once the house was empty the sound of rain lulled him back to sleep, and by the time he woke up there was no point in showing up for class. He sat up and yawned, grabbing his phone and making his way to the kitchen. His first day was no doubt just paperwork and information he didn't need. Sungjin had already handed him so much of it a week ago. He sat down at the kitchen table with a bowl of ramen, watching some funny videos most of the afternoon. He knew Sungjin would be too busy to bother texting him, so he enjoyed the afternoon alone. After lunch he played computer games for a few hours, ate some more snacks, and played more games. All that excitement made him tired again. At that time school would have ended, but he knew his "Brother," would be staying late. He climbed back into bed and set out some books, in an attempt to make it look like he had gone to class. Sungjin would never know.

 He fell back into a deep sleep, the rain continuing to act as a lullaby. He was the youngest first year student thatnks to his scores, but he hated school. He was smart, but he didn't see the point in beinf a teachers pet. He dreamt of vacation and warm places, curled up in dream land for an hour or so until the bedroom door opened. He hadn't heard the knocks at all, but then there was yelling. 

 "YAH! DOWOON WAKE UP!" Sungjin screamed, angrily pulling the blanket off of the younger. 

  Dowoon sat up in a daze and panicked, but his face remained calm. "Hyung, don't yell... " He uttered softly. Sungjin was furious as he grabbed the uniform off of the door. he knew he was in trouble now. "Oops..." He said shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.  "I didn't feel good this morning----"

  "Don't even lie to me. You were fine, you just were lazy." Sungjin sighed. He couldn't stay mad at him, it wasn't who he was. 

  Dowwon looked down and froened, ears red out of embarassment. His long face was pointed at the ground, Sungjin sitting beside him on the bed. "Look, Hyung I'm sorry, really.." He began.

  "It's okay...I'm not gonna tell on you okay? But you have to go every day, and I'm going to make sure you make a friend, okay?" His voice was soft and calm, not wanting to cause any more issues. Dowoon nodded and genty leaned into a rather awkward hug between the two. "I'm not mad I promise.. I'm sorry that I yelled." Sungjin continued. 

  "Thanks, Hyung." The younder said shyly, pullling back and sighing gently. 

  Sungjin left the room and began to clean up the house while Dowoon came up with a fake story about his school day.  His mother came home and Sungjin spoke of his day, getting some praise, but clearly Dowoon was his mother's favorite. Sungjin seemed distracted by smething at dinner, but Dowoon kept eating and ignored it. After dinner the two boys sat on Sungjin's bed, talkin a bit about their plans for tomorrow. "I'm walking you to class, and at lunch I want you to sit with me and my friends, or a friend of your own okay?" Dowoon nodded, dreading the morning as he headed back to bed. Sungjin relaxed and nodded out quickly. They were polar opposites. Sungjin saw Dowoon as his responsibility, and Dowoon saw sungjin as just another teachers pet.