Turbulance

The Loser Club

    Turbulance shook the plane as clouds began to roll past the small window. Younghyun looked out, yawning and rubbing his eyes. He had already been on the plane for around ten hours and still had more to go. He zipped up his jacket and brushed some of his hair behind his ear, pulling out his phone to check his appearance. His feline eyes were red, bags beneath them. He was slender, with a pointed chin and sharp features, average geight and still growing. He glanced at the time, sighing softly. It was now seven am in Seoul, and he was still three hours away from landing at the airport. Toronto was a long way behind him, along with his friends. He was nervous, anxious even about returning to his homeland after several years of living abroad. The captain announced the weather and told everyone to remain seated. Younghyun closed the window shade and turned up the volume on his music, closing his eyes. 

   He had left Korea to experience a new place, make new friends, and now he was headed back. He hadn't seen anyone there since middle school, and now he was running late for his first day as a second year high school student. He figured he wouldn't make it, so he didn't mind all that much. So much had changed in that time, and he was worried about meeting people, maybe he wouldn't fit in the same anymore. Brian was a frienfdly guy, always wanting to make people smile and laugh, so there was no reason for him to feel nervous really. He sighed faintly, shifting in the ucomfortable seat. The remaining few hours passed and soon the plane was on its decent to Incheon International Airport. His stomach was in knots, the plane bouncing and jerking about as it hit more weather. The plane soon skidded to a stop, and the passengers let out a breath of fresh air. 

  He gathered his carry on bag and walked through the gate, heading towards customs where another few hour log line welcomed him. He sighed and waited, passport and visa ready as his turn was up. Passing through customs and to the baggage claim he was greeted by his parents. The embraced for a few minuites, his mother refusing to let go of her son as her husband grabbed the luggage. The car ride home was filled with stories of his school, friends, and host family back in canada, and it was almost too emotional to talk about. He was jetagged, hard, and all he wanted to do was sleep. He had literally just flown back into the future, and the change felt too strange. Back at his house he began to unpack his things, his mother proudly bringing him his new school uniform, laying it out on his bed. He tried it on for her, saying he was excited to start the next day. Finally his family gave him time to rest, something he greatly needed. He sunk into his bed and passed out untill dinner time. His family gathered at the table, his moter cooking his favorite meal in celebration. 

  The rain splattered against the window as Younghyun unpacked more, much more content with a full stomach. He set aside some of the new things he had aquired, laughing at how small some of the clothes in his closet were now. His old room seemed smaller, everything seemed so strange. The people seemd different too. There were different formalities, different ways of dressing, and so many new faces to meet. Korean was his native tongue, but the last few years he had been speaking English and even some French, he wondered how soon he'd get used to evryone's voices again. 

  He grabbed the new backpack his mother had left for him and prepared himself for school the next day, organizing some note books, paper, pens, pencils, and all the other things he may need. He couldn't help but slide on of his Toronto flag pins on the bag, needing a little peice of his second home with him. Once he was ready for school in the morning, he took a long hot shower. The steam cleared his lungs, warming him up from the cool rainy weather outside. The air even felt different here. He dressed for bed and sat up on his phone for a few hours, unable to fall asleep even though it was so late. His parents were asleep so he had to be quiet, but all he could think about was the faces he left behind. Would he be able to make new friends? He sure as hell hoped so. He was a nice guy, friendly, charming, and pretty handsome, so why would there be an issue?

  He laughed and looked at himself in the reflection of his phone again, sighing. "Goodbye Brian, Hello again Younghyun," He smiled softly, changing from English to Korean as he spoke. He got back out of bed, his hunger returning after a few hours without food. He raided the kitchen, eating several different snacks, and even stuffing some into his backpack for the morning. He steppe out onto the back porch, watching the rain fall down in the moonlight. He hummed out quietly, taking some pictures and sending them to his friends back in Canada. Finally, he was tired again, climbing back into bed and sleeping for a few more hours. 

  "!" He yelled as his alarm clock went off, jolting up out of bed. How in the hell could it already be morning? He was only asleep for two hours. 

  He stretched, ate, double checked his backpack, and put on that lovely uniform that his mother ironed for him. Second dy of school for everyone else, first day for him. He was honestly pretty excited, leaving the house and heading for the subway. Every step he took was off, still feeling the motions of being on the plane for that long. He managed to find a seat, yawning and already munching on one of the sncks he had packed for himself. He had to come in early to fill out some paperwork of course. How exciting. He got off at the stop closset to school and hummed out when he saw the tall building and the sea of uniform that surrounded it. No more gray sky, though he didnt mind it all that much. He made way to the office, filling out the forms and happily talking with a receptionist about his studies abroad. By the time he finished class had already started, so he walked towards his class with a tardy slip in hand. He opened the door and all eyes went on him. He bowed his head and gave the slip to the professor, sitting down in the only empty seat left in the room. He took out his notebook and smiled as now one seemed to mind him after that, a few people greeting him. The boy next to him was tall, thin, had glasses, and a confused look on his face. Brian couldnt help but look over. He noticed the boy's dictionary and smiled, passing him a note in English. 

  "I'm Younghyun, you can call me Brian if thats easier. Want to have lunch together today? "

  He wasnt sure if the other was just learning Korean, or perhaps was an exhange student, but it always helped to be nice. He saw the other smile and nod back at him, then got back to his work. He already felt so much better. A few people recognized him and said hello as class went on, and his usual self began to come out. He cracked a few jokes here and there with some girls, and by lunch time he was getting everyone's attention. The turbulance seemed to subside a bit, and he wasn't at all scared of being left out. The plane ride was over, and he was here to stay.