Fondness and Denial

A Romanticist who shouldn't be able to fall

 

“Hey-ey-ey, Tzuyu, wake up~” Dahyun shouted.

 

Tzuyu snapped from her daze, noticing hers and Dahyun’s proximity, she let out a yelp and rocks backward on her chair to keep away from Dahyun.

 

“Dahyun, you do know that I really don’t like smelling your chocolate breath!” She shouted. “Hey but everyone likes chocolate.” Dahyun countered.

 

“Not if it’s your breath.” Tzuyu ended the argument, leaving a scarred Dahyun and an amused spectator, Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung bursted into laughter, “Alright- alright. That’s enough of your banter.” She said, trying to stop them from arguing any longer.

 

Tzuyu stared, skeptical, but she kept quiet to stop herself from saying anything sarcastic. “So?” She started. “What were you talking about that forced you to stop me from day dreaming?” She asked, clearly annoyed.

 

Dahyun laughed nervously, “Now, now, Tzuyu baby. We don’t have any ill intentions, just to ask for your help.” Tzuy rolled her eyes, “Has this got to do with your to-be-girlfriend, Sana unnie?”

 

Dahyun nodded vigorously, blushing intensely. “I just want you guys to accompany me to the upperclassman class.” She said.

 

Tzuyu’s ears perked at the request. It would be a lie to say that she wasn’t interested at all in this person that Dahyun apparently liked. According to Chaeyoung, Sana likes Dahyun too.

 

Also… She may or may not want to embarrass Dahyun in front of her crush too.

 

“Sure, why not.” Tzuyu replied, Chaeyoung and Dahyun cheer at the acceptance of the request. “...You aren’t gonna make me do anything weird… are you?” She asked, raising a brow.

 

“Not at all. Anyway, no delay, let’s go!” Dahyun shouted, unexpectedly energetically, running out of the room, dragging Tzuyu and Chaeyoung along with her.

 

“Ugh, why did I agree?” Tzuyu internally cried, she just wanted to go home with a nice, cool glass of water because honestly, the weather here was hell.

 

Like Dahyun said, no delays, so they were forced to ignore all the people trying to talk to them and run to the rooms above their own class.

 

Dahyun slams the door open with a wide grin. “Sana unnie~!” She screams, lunging into the older, pretty girls arm who screams with the same audacity, “Dahyunnie~!”

 

Tzuyu squints her eyes at the two head-over-heels high schoolers. “That over there is Sana unnie?” She asks Chaeyoung who nods. “Yep.”

 

“Then the girl with a lot of moles is… Mina?” Tzuyu asks but received no response because Chaeyoung wasn’t even there in the first place.

 

“Hello Mina unnie!” Chaeyoung says enthusiastically, which Mina replies with the same enthuse, “Hello Chaeng!”

 

Huh, that’s strange. I thought that Chaeng liked Somi…

 

“I guess we’re the third wheels around here.” A voice said.

 

Tzuyu looks up at another older girl, a very pretty girl, Tzuyu can admit. Hm? Big eyes, pretty smile, this must be… “...Park Jihyo?” Tzuyu guessed.

 

The girl-- Jihyo-- nodded, “That’s me. Chou Tzuyu, right?” She guessed back. Tzuyu smiled, finding Jihyo’s smile contagious.

 

“Hello, Jihyo-ssi.” Tzuyu greeted politely. Jihyo laughed nervously, “unnie is alright. We’re probably going to be friends after this, anyway.” She said, a small smile graced on her features.

 

Tzuyu stared in awe at Jihyo’s beauty and laughed. “Right, especially with these two love birds.” Jihyo smiled out of fondness to Tzuyu. “Right.” She answered.

 

“Excuse me, is Park Jihyo here?”

 

Tzuyu and Jihyo looked up. “Someone’s here to see you.” Her classmate said. Jihyo nodded at her classmate before saying, “I’ll be right back, Tzuyu ah.” Tzuyu nodded in response.

 

She looked up to see the rest of the girls grinning teasingly at the door. Tzuyu cocked her head to the side confusedly.

 

“It’s the fifth today?” Chaeyoung teased once Jihyo came back with a flushed face. “Be quiet.” Jihyo scolded, feeling embarrassed.

 

Tzuyu leaned her head on her hand, looking at Jihyo with little envy and more awe. Jihyo is definitely one of those people who can feel love.

 

Ah, how much I wish that could happen to me too…

 

“Y’know, Tzuyu here.” Chaeyoung started, energetically, wrapping her arm around Tzuyu’s neck. “She cant feel love.”

 

“Oi, stop spoiling them, they haven’t watched the Tzuyu movie yet…” Tzuyu deadpanned jokingly, taking Chaeyoung’s arm off her shoulders. They all laughed at Tzuyu’s serious but fake sounding request.

 

Unfortunately, after that, the bells rang, so Dahyun couldn’t speak to Sana any longer and the rest had to get to their classes afterward.

 

---
 

Tzuyu walked out alone after the bell rang (Dahyun went with Sana, Chaeyoung stayed behind for the art studio and Tzuyu wasn’t bothered to stay behind because Somi was staying along with Chaeng)

 

She held her bag along her shoulder tightly and then began to leave through the gate. Along the way, she encountered Jihyo.

 

“Ah.” Tzuyu called out. “Jihyo unnie!” From the call, Jihyo turned to Tzuyu with a surprised smile. “Tzuyu ah? I thought you would be staying behind with Chaeyoung ah.” She said.

 

Tzuyu laughed, “I would have, considering that we’re both in the art club, but Somi insisted…” Jihyo nodded her head in understanding, “Ah, now I understand.”

 

“Are you headed this way too?” Tzuyu asked, pointing to the direction that her house goes. Jihyo runs ahead of Tzuyu and answered, “Yep!”

 

“Wow.” Tzuyu said, a smile creeping on her face. “You wanna walk together, then?”

 

The same smile creeps on Jihyo’s face. “Sure!”

 

Tzuyu catches up to Jihyo and the two start walking together in the same directions. Tzuyu took this chance to observe Jihyo--

 

Except…

 

“You’re really pretty.”

 

With that sentence, unusually, Tzuyu’s body heated up, she felt embarrassed about something for the first time in her life.

 

(...Ok maybe that was a bit over but embarrassed in a sorta good way, y’know?)

 

“You think so?” Tzuyu asked, sounding a bit flattered. Tzuyu looked at Jihyo, she had such an endearing and beautiful smile.

 

“Oh, I know so.”

 

Tzuyu’s blush deepened from another of Jihyo’s cringe worthy yet sweet lines.

 

Tzuyu wanted to divert the conversation. She swore that another of Jihyo’s words would make her explode. “Y-Y’know I kind of envy you.” Tzuyu said.

 

Jihyo looked surprised at the revelation. She turned her head to the side in confusion. “Why?” Jihyo asked.

 

Tzuyu smiled sheepishly. “I guess it’s the fact that you can love.” Jihyo stopped smiling for a second but then it returned, her head down. She stopped walking.

 

“I think you’ve gotten a bit misunderstood about my own situation.” Jihyo mumbled. Tzuyu heard that, she stopped walking at the same time that Jihyo had.

 

Tzuyu stared at Jihyo, then replied, “Am I wrong, can you not love?” Jihyo laughed nervously, “I wouldn’t put it like that.” She started walking forward, Tzuyu did not follow her.

 

Jihyo turned around, “I guess I haven’t met the right person yet.”

 

The taller stared at the view. In a cliche way, the sun shined behind her, making Jihyo even more beautiful. Tzuyu felt more envy and in awe about Jihyo

 

She hasn’t experienced love, yet she is so optimistic about finding it someday.

 

Jihyo let out a giggle. “Sounds a bit unbelievable, huh? I’ve been called that a bit. Jihyo the crazy.” Tzuyu walked up to Jihyo and pat her shoulder. “Rather than Jihyo the crazy, I think you should be Jihyo the optimist.”

 

Jihyo raised a brow with an amused expression. “...Was that supposed to be a compliment?” Tzuyu laughed in response, “Maybe, maybe not?”

 

Jihyo rolled her eyes, “Right.” Tzuyu smirked, “Glad you believe me.” Before Jihyo could counter that statement---

 

RINGINGING

 

Tzuyu frowned at the contact name. The boy who liked her wanted his answer. Jihyo looked over Tzuyu’s shoulder. “Boy? Crush? Wait no-- Friend? Or a person who likes you?” Jihyo repeatedly guessed.

 

Tzuyu smiled fakely, “He likes me, I didn’t give him a response…” Jihyo read the mood, she’s not dense. Jihyo moved to Tzuyu’s side again.

 

“Say…” She started. Tzuyu looked up at her. “Are you a romanticist?” Jihyo asked, taking a step forward.

 

“If you are… It should hurt.”

 

Tzuyu turned her head down. She opened to say something but Jihyo beat her to it.

 

“I envy you.”

 

Tzuyu looked up at Jihyo. She scoffed and said in one breath. “You, envy me? What is there even to envy about, I have nothing that could possibly contribute to this entire earth. If I die the next day, will something happen? Of course not, I’m not even 1% of the population.”

 

Despite Tzuyu’s sudden snap, Jihyo stayed calm. “I envy you. You’re pretty.” Tzuyu turned her head away and scoffed again, “Everyone says that.” She replied. Jihyo took a step toward Tzuyu.

 

“You can’t love. That’s what I envy the most.” Jihyo said, knowing that she might have stepped on an obvious landmine.

 

Tzuyu huffed irritably. “Can’t you just mind your own business, okay!? Who feels like that anyway!?” She shouted, immediately regretting it when she saw that Jihyo flinched violently.

 

“N-No, I…” Tzuyu tried to say something, alas, Jihyo beat her again. “It’s okay, Tzuyu ah.” Jihyo interrupted, feigning composure but her shaky voice showed anything but composure.

 

(Though Tzuyu’s stubborn and stupid pride doesn’t let her apologise, she can admit that she’s a bit guilty about shouting all of a sudden)

 

“I don’t even know why I’m so angry with you.” Tzuyu mumbled. Jihyo laughed bitterly and began to walk forward, which is what they should have been doing a long time ago.

 

They kept quiet on the way back to their own houses. Tzuyu was worried… But so curious at the same time. Why does Jihyo envy her about her inability to love?

 

As far as Tzuyu knew… Having the inability was the worst.

 

“...This is where I live, good bye, Tzuyu ah…” Jihyo cut the silence with a farewell. Tzuyu wanted to say something, but she stayed quiet and waved as a sign of bye.

 

For some reason, Jihyo seemed a bit hurt at the lack of enthuse.

 

(Though at the same time, Jihyo wasn’t enthusiastic because of their short argument.)

 

Jihyo opened the gate to her house, Tzuyu balled her hands into fists so hard that it would leave red marks. She made her decision.

 

“Huh?”

 

Jihyo turned around as she felt a strong tug on her sleeve, she saw an embarrassed Tzuyu standing behind her with a red face with humiliation.

 

Tzuyu took a deep breath and an audible gulp, evidently showing herself being unnerved. Slowly, Tzuyu began to speak, “Listen Jihyo unnie. I-- uh, I’m sorry about lashing out at you.”

 

Jihyo’s expression softened at the apology and pat Tzuyu’s head. “You don’t have to worry, Tzuyu ah. I forgive you. Have a nice day.” Jihyo cold heartedly (that’s how Tzuyu would put it) bid Tzuyu a farewell and well--

 

This definitely was not how Tzuyu expected things to happen.

 

Just as Jihyo reached the door, “Wait!” Tzuyu called out after gathering all of her courage. Jihyo ce more. “I want… I want…” Tzuyu tried to start her sentence but didn’t know what to continue with.

 

Wow, has asking someone a question been this hard before?

 

Jihyo ran to the gate and opened it. “Stop, I think I know where this is going. You want me to answer questions. Right?” Tzuyu froze for seconds but then nodded.

 

The older girl stayed silent for a moment, seeming to be mulling over this in her head. A warm smile appeared on Jihyo’s face. “Okay then. Tea, Coffee or Hot Chocolate?”

 

A deadpan expression appeared on Tzuyu’s face because, seriously woman, it’s freaking 36 degrees out here. Jihyo let out a nervous laugh at Tzuyu’s expression, “Okay, okay, I’m sorry, it’s too hot, I’ll get some water.

 

With this, Tzuyu’s face relaxed a bit, as she entered through the gate. Jihyo opened the door with her key and screamed, “Mum, I’m home~! I have a friend, we’ll go in my room, don’t disturb us!”

 

Tzuyu could hear the reply from Jihyo’s mother when they reached Jihyo’s room. “Stay in here, I’ll be right back.” Jihyo ordered, Tzuyu nodded and proceeded to sit on Jihyo’s bed.

 

In this time, Tzuyu thought to think about the correct question to say, whether to be brash, or to be strategic. Either way, Tzuyu thinks that Jihyo would be kind to answer either way.

 

A mug of hot chocolate appeared in front of her as well as the mischievous face of Jihyo. Tzuyu’s lips curved down a little, a signal that she was just about to protest.

 

“Ah, don’t say anything. I know you wanted cold water but you look like something’s been bothering you since you got that call.” Jihyo quickly said, effectively stopping Tzuyu from speaking, she sat next to Tzuyu. “I heard that hot chocolate helps.”

 

Tzuyu sighed. “Why are you willing to help me even though I snapped at you?” She asked. Jihyo looked a bit surprised at the question but answered, “Why? I guess I’ve got a soft spot for you, I guess I just want to help you with your troubles.”

 

It was silent after that sincere reply, Jihyo suddenly feeling embarrassed at what she had just revealed.

 

“That boy… The one that called me. He’s my friend and he...” Tzuyu started, breaking the silence. Jihyo turned her head to face Tzuyu’s direction, looking into her eyes. “...he confessed to me after the graduation ceremony.”

 

“Hm.” Jihyo hummed, a bit interested about this. “Sounds nice.” Tzuyu laughed bitterly. “Here’s the catch. I can’t love.”

 

Jihyo froze. “Exactly, I can’t accept him. But I can thank him.” Tzuyu said, “He made me realise that I can’t like anyone. Since I’ve already arrived at that conclusion, he saved me from the pain.”

 

“Then why haven’t you answered him yet?” Jihyo asked, strangely serious, “Why haven’t you saved him from his pain!?” Tzuyu flinched at the loudness of Jihyo’s voice, it intimidated her.

 

“That’s exactly what I’m worried about!” Tzuyu shouted back, “I’m scared, I’m scared he’ll be hurt. Please, I don’t want to hurt him.” Jihyo kept her head up whilst Tzuyu kept it down.

 

Jihyo scooted closer to Tzuyu and wrapped an arm over her shoulders. “He’s strong, I know it. Who else would be strong enough to stay and love you, you stubborn little girl.” Jihyo teased, breaking all tension.

 

Tzuyu laughed, “You’re rude.” “And you’re cute. (Tzuyu blushed) Now go on and confess…” Jihyo stood up, she laughed at Tzuyu’s scowling face before teasingly continued, “That you don’t like him.”

 

Jihyo stared at Tzuyu dumbfounded face and continued again in the same teasing voice, “Oh, you didn’t think I was going to ask you to confess, was I? Please, I’m a better listener than you.”

 

“Oh yeah?--”

 

Bzzt, bzzt.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes widened largely as she grabbed it from where she left it (she actually left it on the floor, naughty girl) and stood up in alarm. Jihyo stood the same as Tzuyu, slightly alarmed.

 

“It’s him.” Tzuyu said breathlessly, far to frightened for this situation. Jihyo could tell that she wasn’t ready. But she had to face it now.

 

Jihyo reached for Tzuyu’s hand and held it tightly, as if it would disappear soon.

 

“You’ll be fine.”

 

Tzuyu stared at Jihyo, feeling vulnerable, her eyes still shaking in fear of hurting her friend. Jihyo showed no negative emotion, just sincerity.

 

“You’ll be just fine, Tzuyu ah. The only thing you have to do is tell him how you really feel…” She started, “Like he told you.” Another gentle squeeze to Tzuyu’s hand and Jihyo showed another gentle smile.

 

It soothes Tzuyu.

 

Tzuyu calmed down albeit keeping the calm looking face. She answered the call. “Hey.” “H-Hi Tzuyu.” The other line said and Tzuyu froze, hearing his voice again.

 

His masculine voice that she thought she came to love.

 

“I’m dating someone.”

 

What?

 

Tzuyu raised her eyebrow, spluttering, “W-Wait, what the heck?” The other line laughed, “So you’ve cracked, finally. This is the first time I’ve heard you like this, I wonder who made you be able to lose your composure.”

 

“Wait, wait. I was thinking here that you were looking for my answer and then you told me you’re dating someone else? That’d surprise me even if I didn’t meet-- uh, I mean nothing.” Tzuyu spoke, almost leading herself and the people who can hear her to believe that she likes Jihyo.

 

Which is seriously untrue, I’m being serious, okay?

 

“I was originally planning to but a cute boy came up to me and confessed. I liked him back so we’re dating, yay!” The line said.

 

Tzuyu blinked uncontrollably in disbelief. “Okay, you’re making no sense here. Well, that’s always but who are you dating?” The other line laughed in bliss, “I’m glad you asked, hon. It’s the one and only Mark Tuan. Heard of him?”

 

“Mark Tuan? You mean that ridiculously hot boy with a hot bod who is surprisingly quiet?” Tzuyu asked monotonously. The other line laughed remarkably loud. “Yes that one.” He seemed unfazed about the fact that she seemed unenthused.

 

“Yo, forget about my confession. We’ll be besties again?” The line said. Tzuyu rolled her eyes, the other line protested, “Oi, through telepathy, I can see you rolling your eyes!”

 

“That’s clairvoyance, not telepathy. Good to know you’re still dumb as always.” Tzuyu laughed, until she noticed a troubled Jihyo on her side. “Oops, gotta go, Wang puppy. Be glad you remind me of a dog or else I would have rejected you on the spot in the graduation ceremony.”

 

She hung up on this ‘Wang puppy’ to turn to Jihyo with a large grin. “I guess I had nothing to worry about.”

 

“Clearly.” Jihyo said with laughter bubbling in . “So that’s the legendary hip and funny boy, Jackson Wang. I’m surprised he liked you, last time I saw him, I heard rumours of him being gay.”

 

Tzuyu laughed, “Same here. Thank you for your help, unnie.” Tzuyu smiled so blindingly. “Should I go now?” She asked, and moved to the door but not without being tugged by the hand.

 

“Unnie?”

 

Jihyo looked in Tzuyu’s eye. She pulled her arm so that Tzuyu was in her arms and embraced her deeply. “You’re… just like…”

 

Tzuyu was blushing but remained confused. “Unnie?” She called out again, staring into Jihyo’s eyes. Tzuyu tried to read what they were depicting but Jihyo pushed her away before she could read them.

 

“Nothing- it’s nothing. Anyway, you can go now. Here— I’ll lead you out.” Jihyo suggested, reluctantly letting go of Tzuyu’s hand, walking to the door and finally opening it.

 

They moved to the front door.

 

“So… uh.”

 

“Thanks.” Tzuyu said, feeling bashful, scratching her nape. She continued with a sheepish laugh,“You helped me out a lot with my ‘rejection’, well sorta, to Jackson.”

 

“No worries… now get out of here haha.” Jihyo replied jokingly, lightly pushing Tzuyu toward the outer of the door. “Right, right.” Tzuyu replied, walking out.

 

“See you another time.” Tzuyu said, waving to Jihyo who was standing by the door, waiting for Tzuyu to leave.

 

“Bye, Tzuyu ah.” Jihyo said. Cutely.

 

Something in that sparked inside of Tzuyu, it made her feel a bit dizzy, in this hot weather, her face felt hotter, something lifted under her left chest, making her feel like she was able to fly.

 

Tzuyu didn’t know what it was.

 

But she definitely liked this new feeling.

 

Tzuyu arrived to her shared apartment with a skip in her step.

 

“Aigoo, Tzuyu this is new. I won’t ask why you’re late this time. Why you look so happy today?”

 

Tzuyu faced her elder friend, in her last year of high school. Hirai Momo.

 

“Do I look happy?” Tzuyu asked curiously, Momo smirked, “Very happy, like lovestruck happy. I know from experience, that pretty ballet sophomore girl...”

 

Love struck? That’s impossible.

 

“...And all I wanted to do was kiss those pretty moles-- Hey are you even listening to my awesome experience?” Momo seemed to be annoyed at Tzuyu’s lack to attention but in truth (and Tzuyu knows this, having been roommates for a year), she was actually joking around.

 

Well, maybe not the thing about love.

 

“I’ve just heard the story so much, Momo unnie haha.” Tzuyu laughed, walking to sit on the table that Momo had just set. Momo walked from the kitchen to the table and placed a plate with food on it.

 

“You better be grateful I can cook or you’d die of starvation.” Momo joked, Tzuyu bowing in respect for the cook. “Well, thanks then, unnie.” She thanked with a big smile.

 

Momo reciprocated the smile and ruffled Tzuyu’s hair, “Aish, what a cutie, you are, Tzuyu ah.”

 

Momo sat on the other side of Tzuyu and leaned on her hand. “What got you have lovely expression, today. Or maybe, who?” Tzuyu looked up from her meal, “What do you mean? Lovely expression?”

 

Momo laughed, believing that Tzuyu was feigning confusion, “You can’t hide it from me. I know when a person is in love. I know that you’re finally in love, Tzuyu ah.”

 

Tzuyu staggered, her eyes widening.

 

In love…? But I can’t, I know I can’t love.

 

Tzuyu shook her head in disbelief, “You must be mistaking it, Momo unnie. You should remember that it’s impossible for someone like me to love anyone.”

 

Momo’s face softened. “Yoda.” She called out affectionately. “How many times do I have to tell you?” She said. “No matter how much you deny it, you want it. No matter how much you deny it, I know you will meet the right person. In fact-- You’ve already met them.”

 

Momo ruffled Tzuyu’s hair again. “You just haven’t accepted it yet.”

 

“Now, I’ll be off to bed.” Momo announced, standing from her seat. “Call me if you think you’re ready enough to tell me who you like.”

 

Tzuyu chuckled at Momo’s choice of comfort words before she finished her food and cleaned the plate.

 

When Tzuyu went to bed, she couldn’t sleep. She thought about Momo’s words, the ones about her being in love. And- and--

 

Most importantly, straight to Jihyo.

 

Jihyo and her pretty smile. Jihyo and her perfect curves. Jihyo and her beautiful personality.

 

Jihyo and all Jihyo.

 

Tzuyu rolled to her right side, then to her left side.

 

Could I really be…?

 

Tzuyu thought about Jihyo again and then forced herself to think about her disappointment.

 

Nah, it’s impossible anyway.

 

Directly after that though, Tzuyu’s phone rang and it showed a message from an unfamiliar number.

 

---

XXX: Hey it’s me, Jihyo.

What’s up beautiful, I stole your number from Sana who stole it from Dahyun.

Hope you aren't angry about that lol.

Well, it’s late, and you’re probably having your beauty sleep. Sorry for disturbing you ha ha.

Good night ^-^

Sweet dreams of me~ ;)

---

 

Tzuyu couldn’t sleep after seeing that message.

 

Is it impossible, now?

 


 

A/N: So, uh well, I finally finished the first chapter. I seriously could have finished it a long time ago (Read: yesterday or the day before that) but I couldn't because my schedules were packed so I'm sorry about that (excuses, excuses). 

Is this chapter alright, if there's something that I need to fix, you can tell me straight away. Because I want this fic that is read by all ya'll readers to be enjoyable. Anyway, it's been long and I have to end it here.

Hope you enjoyed it; Peace out.