C2: Bend but don't break

Chasing Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

***

 

Just like the day before, Taeyeon purchases a cup of coffee at the nearby café before going to work. She remembers to wear a scarf around her neck this time, but it still doesn’t do much to minimize the autumn chill. Maybe she should wear a coat over her blazer tomorrow.
 

She enters the building with her new ID on display and proceeds to the 38th floor. She’s still twenty minutes early for work, and she doesn’t even try to justify it as her wanting to be punctual or whatever. She's always arrived for work on-the-dot back in Seoul, and only a few minutes ahead of time at the most.
 

Ms. Carter, Tiffany's assistant, is already in her cubicle, and Taeyeon notes the mild surprise in her eyes before it fades and is replaced with a friendly smile. They greet each other a good morning, and Taeyeon promptly walks towards her office.
 

She subtly turns her head to check if Tiffany is in hers. A pang of disappointment settles on her chest upon witnessing the dark and empty room, but she breathes out a deep sigh and lets it go.
 

Taeyeon sets up her laptop on the desk, sipping her coffee while she waits for the screen to load. Instead of occupying herself with more thoughts about Tiffany (like the entire day and night yesterday wasn’t enough—and even the moment she woke up this morning) and how she can fix their relationship, she focuses on making a mental checklist of what she should accomplish today.
 

She’s just beginning to type her list onto the Sticky Notes app of her computer when movement in her periphery makes her look up. Her fingers pause their typing when she sees Tiffany, who’s wearing a matching dark blue blazer and skirt with a crisp white blouse underneath. The woman is carrying a black leather bag on one hand and a cup of coffee on the other, and Taeyeon immediately looks down at her own cup, noting that it’s the same brand. She realizes that if she had left her temporary living space - a small apartment a few blocks from the office building - a few minutes later, then she would have most likely bumped into Tiffany at the coffee shop. Or maybe they would’ve ridden the elevator to the Finance department together.
 

Tiffany unlocks her office door and pushes it open, but before she steps inside—as if sensing a pair of eyes on her—she turns around and meets Taeyeon's gaze through the glass windows. Taeyeon doesn’t even have the sense to pretend that she isn’t already looking at her, however borderline creepy it may seem.
 

They stare at each other for a few seconds, with Taeyeon holding her breath as Tiffany's face remains unreadable, and then it’s over. She doesn’t even get a smile or a mouthed ‘good morning’ before the door closes shut and Tiffany begins to settle in her office.
 

Even though their desks are facing each other, Tiffany unerringly avoids looking through the glass windows and meeting Taeyeon's eyes for the rest of the morning. Not that Taeyeon was constantly checking or anything. Of course not. Just…only about every half hour or so. Tiffany is kind of distracting.
 

The brunette has on this look of utmost concentration as she types on her computer and sends out messages through her phone, her eyebrows all scrunched up in such an unnervingly cute manner, and it brings Taeyeon back to their study dates years ago—although back then, Tiffany was doing most of the studying while Taeyeon grew fascinated with how blurry the text in her books could get every time she spaced out, which was often.
 

At the of noon, Tiffany suddenly stands up and proceeds to turn off her computer and fix her bag. Taeyeon watches her, ready to shift her eyes away the moment Tiffany glances in her direction. But she doesn’t, not until she turns off the lights and locks her door. She’s adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder when she turns to face Taeyeon through the window.
 

Their eyes meet, and Taeyeon immediately forgets about subtly looking away. But it’s good th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter