Breath of Life

Traum.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was looking for a breath of life,

A little touch of heavenly light

But all the choirs in my head sang no

--

Sleep doesn’t come as easy for Park Jin Young and his always present aura of a person constantly scheming something. That is what Dr. Il Woon concluded with the short time he knows the man.

“You want me to explain that in this hour of time, Mr. Jinyoung?” The Doctor confirms again.

“Doctor, my businesses aren’t exactly an 9-5 job, I don’t know if you realize that,” Jinyoung answers calmly while looking at the books stacked alphabetically in one of the tables in the Doctor living room, “And I don’t think your job is either, so,” he turns back to the Doctor, “please do explain.”

Dr. Il Woon clears his throat before starting, “Okay, so first, you already know, I assume, about the vacuum enforced chamber,” he stops to examine Jinyoung’s reaction. When the younger man just gestures his hand asking him to continue, the Doctor feels more relaxed. “As I write in my research, reality as we know it, is deeply correlated by known physics laws. Gravity makes things drops down, time makes things decay, light travels faster than sound, things like that, shapes our conception of reality.”

“Like how things aren’t just formed from nothingness,” Jinyoung who has been sitting formally in the chair across the Doctor chimes in. His mind already rewinded to a moment long time ago when Nara conjures up a flower from thin air. A ghost of a smile playing on his lips recalling that.

“Yes, but another shape of reality also can be found when we examine microparticle that is so so small, that known laws of physics works differently on them. Like the concept of time and gravity works differently on quantum sized particles.”

Jinyoung tilts his head as he digest the scientific information and how it correlates to Nara’s power. “So you mean, her powers are operating on a different plane of reality, like the microparticles?” Jinyoung eyebrow rises up.

“That is one of my hypotheses, she somehow can merge another plane of reality in this, our, plane of reality,” Dr. Il Woon nods his head in excitement. “That is why I theorized that if that is the case, a vacuum, a space where there is almost no particles for a reality to form, will be effective to hamper her power.”

Jinyoung stares at the man with another thoughtful look. “Then how is it related with how she can projected things out from her dreams?”

Dr. Il Woon excited expression turns perplexed, “She is?”

Jinyoung only stares at him in response. Leaving the Doctor questioning until he cannot take the charged silence anymore and shoot up from his chair.

“But how?” He is thinking out loud, “Oh but it does makes all the folklore and legends about dreams and realities-I thought it was scientifically irrelevant! I thought they were only a medieval explanation of a scientific phenomena-but if it is true then-wait she can comprehend a lot of realities at once? In structure unknown by physics? That is a far stretch but possible-”

At this point Jinyoung just looks at the Doctor pacing manically around the room with a bored expression.

“Wait, how do you know it? She told you?” The Doctor stops for a while to look at the man.

Jinyoung nods a little.

“And you believe her?”

Something changes in Jinyoung’s calm expression, alarming the Doctor.

“Why do you think I have a reason not to?” Jinyoung feigns an innocent expression over a darker one.

“Well I meant- well,” the Doctor stammers.

“You still haven’t answered my question that brought me here,” Jinyoung stands up and puts his hands on his pocket.

“Of how to extract her power out? Oh yeah,” Dr. Il Woon looks around his living room absently, books and papers laying around in an organized chaos. It is a good thing that Jinyoung let him live in one of the spacious rooms in his HQ so he can do whatever he wants without a nosy motel manager bugging him. “I don’t know if there is any answer outside luring her to use her power and finding something similar of her power to keep it out.”

Jinyoung’s face lit up for the first time since he let himself in the Doctor’s living room at 2 in the morning, “You mean another mind-powered person can keep her power out of her as long as we need?”

Dr. Il Woon nods timidly, cautious of Jinyoung’s lighter mood due to the revelation.

“How?” Jinyoung asked.

“Her power is mainly a projection. She is able to show what she wants for other people senses to receive. It’s like those shadows and panther she conjures up,” he recalls all the footage he has seen of her making things appear out of nowhere, “But I am looking into a possibility that she is also able to manipulate a person exclusively within that person’s mind only.” He remembers the testimonies of people getting their mind disoriented after meeting her.

“She can.”

“Excuse me?”

“She can do it. Manipulating people's minds inside their head instead of just showing them things.”

The Doctor once again is stumped by Jinyoung’s nonchalant confirmation about Nara’s power.

“But how-”

“Can you demonstrate how the extraction of her power can be done, Doctor?”

The Doctor scans the table while trying to suppress his naturally curious mind from jumping to thousands questions of how Jinyoung can know those things.

“Here,” the Doctor splashes droplets of water from his glass on the table. Jinyoung, intrigued, looks closer at the pattern of water.

“If her mind is this one droplet,” the Doctor points at a big drop of water, “and, uh,” he splashes the melted wax from the candle on the table among the droplets of water, “all these wax droplets are the non-powered or non-mind-powered mind, she can enter them easily” he guides the big droplet representing Nara to the wax droplets, making them gelled together, “but she also can separate herself as easy,” the Doctor’s finger guides the water droplet off the wax.

“But when water meets water, it is hard to separate,” Jinyoung gathers all the water droplets to one. Being the same element, they are attracted to each other and fuse easily. “So, what we need is her entering the mind of a mind-powered person and then keep pulling out her power. Correct?”

The Doctor is stunned by Jinyoung’s quick deduction and strategy-making. But he gives the latter a slow nod. Before his curiosity become unbearable, “Can I ask why you are interested in all of this?”

Jinyoung’s brighter expression turns solemn once again. “Isn’t it obvious, Doctor?”

“Well, I think I know the reason why man with your position want someone with her power on your disposal,” the Doctor rambles before stopping himself, suddenly remembere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter