Peek-a-Boo

Traum.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's strange, you're different
I stop this game and I look at you again
I'm not afraid, because I just felt
That a new story will begin

--

Younghyun knows it well, too well, that some things are better left alone. And how being a nosy busy body usually will lead to a dead body.

So when he leisurely and cautiously going down to the Containment Level, he knows exactly what he is going to do.

“Yo, K.” So when one of the guards greets him when he exited the elevator, “Hey. You got stationed here?” is Younghyun’s answer although he already know who gets stationed where and when in the building.

“Yeah, man. s happen,” the guard looks sour.

Younghyun looks around to the deserted hallways. With only one prisoner, only a few guards are stationed in the level. Even when the occupant is a little bit different this time.

Nonetheless, being a stand-by guard in a place so deserted aren’t really an envied position. Younghyun knows that when he throws a cigarette box to the guard.

“Thanks, man. Wish I can use one here.”

“Since when you became so abiding to the rules?” Younghyun snickers. He knows the guards would smoke whenever in stand by, no matter where they are.

“Not so much for the rules, dude. These cells are weird now. Some oxygen tubes or whatever are around. I don’t want to get blown up.”

Younghyun noticed that already when he first came down here to the then unconscious Nara few days ago. That is what attracted him to come back. It has been bugging his naturally curious mind even when he went to do a job for several days. And he got a feeling Jinyoung wouldn’t just tell him if he asks.

Jinyoung already didn’t tell much about the reason why he sent K to take care of people still hunting Sara. He even went as much to let K did what it takes to warn them all off. That translated to K using a lot more firearms and pissing but effectively scaring a lot of people.

That only heightened his curiosity about this whole ordeal about Nara.

“What’s that all about?” He asks passingly, gesturing at the oxygen tanks reserves lining by the wall

“You tell me. I’m not the one chumming up with the Boss and his toys.” The guard let that out before his eyes flickered fast to K’s, afraid that he might offend the latter.

K’s charm and approachability usually betrays his reputation as a hitman. That also what makes him scary for people who actually knows what he can do.

“Where’s the other guys?” Fortunately for the guard, K keeps his congenial smile. This particular guard had been in rodeo with him a few times, so the rapport between them has been quite nice. Especially since K is not often working in teams around here.

The guard gestures his head toward the far end of the hall, to a double door painted the same white shade as the wall. The lack of voices behind it tells of the lack of people there.

“Huh? Convenient,” K quips.

“Yeah, not really a lot of people are down here. Even the surveillance room is not at this level. Told you it’s a boring job.”

The prisoner in question doesn’t have a boring power though, K thinks.

“I’m gonna look around. Hang in there, man.” K pats the upper arm of the guard before walking toward the hall where the rooms are.

He has been walking a few steps when the guard asks “Boss sending you here?” more like an afterthought.

K only shrugs and throws a smirk while keep walking. And the guard assumes it is the best just let him be. He is not looking forward to stir up problem no matter how bored he is.

K, on the other hand, is not bored at all. His yes sharply examines the rooms behind the glass wall. It is actually, or eerily, could do as a cheap comfy hotel room if not for the blatant absence of privacy. Or freedom. Or legality, for that matter.

They look similar since K last visit before the whole Nara ordeal, save for the oxygen tanks installed before the doors into the rooms. He walks toward it and now he can see how the tanks are connected to a small space between two doors that people need to go through to go inside the room. These doors also wasn’t installed before.

K knows where he saw door system like this. And that makes a crease between his eyebrows. Because he only saw it in disease or sensitive material quarantine room. Most often military grade. But even those rooms rarely have the oxygen tanks. It’s bewildering for him because even people with his experience only see that type of system in outer space movies.

“What the hell Jinyoung did with these?” K his canine teeth absently while muttering. A habit he always do while thinking. He does think very hard until he senses someone looking at him. That is when he realizes lurking around a prison, seemingly aimless, will get the attention of the prisoner.

“Hello,” K puts out a congenial smile at the woman standing by the glass, giving him a hard look before going back to her bed.

K walks by to see the room has been upgraded. He can see fresh fruits on the table. The bed now has a comfy-looking duvet and the plasma TV is installed on one side of the wall. The room looks rather like a studio apartment than a containing cell.

Unless, of course, K is almost certainly sure the room was gassed by sleeping gas when the guards added those things. He will never guess Nara would do nothing when the guards stepped in.

Especially now when the said woman is giving him a dark look, her frame look relaxed enough leaning back on the side of the headboard while sitting cross legged on the floor. But K knows not to be fooled.

“I see your room is fully furnished,” he keeps the conversational tone, eyes wandering to the handle-less door on the right corner of her room. The door looks like it could fit to a submarine. That didn’t change from before Jinyoung refurbished the rooms, although the entryway are upgraded to double doors with a space in between like the other.

“Jinyoung’s father used to gather powered people,” he gestured at her, “here before he, uh, recruit them.” He almost sounds cheerful.

“What a pleasant man,” Nara’s tone is full of thorns. “Wonder what he wrote in the employment ad. ‘Ready to be jailed’?”

K has to actually hold his amusement in. The girl clearly looks disgruntled at least and furious at best, but it doesn’t prevent her to be sarcastic. And people with sarcasm often expect replies.

He walks closer to the glass, tilting his head a little at one side as if appraising her willingness to chat. Whether she realizes it or not.

“Well, it is risky to employ powered since they can be dangerous even for him. But dangerous people makes better deterrent, and he needs a lot of it, I guess,” he opts for a relaxed reply and shrugs.

Nara keep silent.

“And you can people into your nightmare,” he passingly examines the glass while keeping the conversation going, and finds that it has been reinforced to double glass not unlike airplane’s windows. “That’s pretty dangerous,” Younghyun turns to look at Nara, and finds that she is still looking at him, pensively. K wonders if she notices him snooping around.

Whether or not she is, she definitely doesn’t let it known by her next words.

“You think that’s why I’m dangerous?” Her voice is neutral

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter