Drifting Lights

Drifting Lights
Please log in to read the full chapter

1

 

Stories were always looking for a way to be told, to be brought to life through books and reading. That was how they crossed over from their world into ou-

“Excuse me, Mr. Do? This book is damaged. Do you have another copy of it?”

It’s the third time this week.

The librarian set aside his current read and took the book from the student. “Okay, mister…” he searched for the last name on the checkout card. “Minseok. What seems to be the problem?”

“It’s missing a page. I just found out yesterday because it was close to the end.” Minseok fixed his glasses, nervous. “I hope you don’t think it’s me, sir. I’ve borrowed a lot of books here over the years.”

Well, at least it’s just one page.

Kyungsoo smiled. “Of course not. And yes, I remember you, sir.” He started typing on the computer. “Let me just-“ After a few keystrokes, he grinned. Great! There’s one more copy. Minseok is actually close to getting a PhD, so the librarian is happy that he could help in his own little way.

Speaking of help. He looked around to see if anyone else is within the area. No one yet at this time of day. “Xing-gē!”

A head popped out from one of the aisles. “Ye?”

“Can you help Mr. Minseok find a copy of Walking the Tiger by Peter Levine?” He handed a note to the intern. “And let me know if you find more damaged books too. Thanks.”

Yixing gave a small salute to Kyungsoo, making him smile. After thanking Mr. Do, the doctoral candidate was whisked away by the arm and was led to the psychology section by one of the softest humans that Minseok has ever met.

“I remember you! You’re always sitting with that loud whiny guy? I think he’s in my communications class and thought he was Chinese too. Cute smile...”

Kyungsoo can see a hint of pink in Minseok’s ears before the two disappeared. And after some time of no one else asking for his help, the librarian sat down again, fully intent on continuing the novel he’s reading. Now where was he again? Ah.

The stories were always looking for a way to be told, to be brought to life through books and reading. That was how they crossed over from their world into ours. They wanted us to give them life.

He put his book back down and made eyes at the damaged one he just got, along with the others just a few inches away from him. A report has to be done to find replacements so he might as well start now, give these books some life again.

After the twelfth one, Kyungsoo noticed something odd. All the books he’s reported are missing the same page. Going through them again, that’s the only thing they have in common. Different authors, genres, year of publication. Nothing.

Maybe it’s a coincidence?

He capped his pen and frowned.

Kyungsoo doesn’t believe in coincidences.

 

*

 

4

 

“What’s with page 241?” Yixing huffed. This is the tenth book with the same missing page from his pile, and adding to Kyungsoo’s thirty-five, this situation is becoming a… a dilemma! Yeah. And there are probably more. How could they have missed this? There’s a book monster out there destroying precious material that anyone can borrow for free! It’s been going on for a while now too. Well no more. Not on his watch.

Kyungsoo pursed his lips, not knowing the answer either. “Maybe whoever did this has some sort of OCD?” He pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling an oncoming headache. And no wonder, it’s almost eight at night. “Hyung, you should leave for your language class now.”

There’s still so much to do and it made the intern hesitate. “I still have a few minutes.”

The librarian grinned. “It’s okay. I can handle this.” He stood up and grabbed the purple backpack on the table. “Don’t worry, Suho hyung will be here soon to help me. And I have plenty of things for you to do tomorrow. Like dusting the top of the shelves. All one hundred and fifty of them.”

“Aiya!” Yixing made the chair screech. He took his bag from the meanie and turned to leave. He turned off most of the lights on his way out, mumbling, “Just because you can’t reach it yourself…”

The other man just smirked. “Don’t make me force you to clean under the tables too, hyung.”

When silence was his only company left, Kyungsoo started to organize the books into a box. There’s quite a lot that needed to be replaced now. Once done, he figured he can continue with the novel he’s reading or work on his own little work in progress.

This job was meant to help him do research for his first book. So far, it’s been great. And after two years, Kyungsoo is almost finished. He decided to pick up pen and paper to let the words flow out of him.

For a while, it was just him, scribbling, and the occasional tick tock of the clock when he paused. But when his stomach started growling, he wondered where Suho was. His boss usually brought food and coffee so Kyungsoo could eat before going home, and it’s one of the many reasons Kyungsoo hasn’t left this part-time job. Is it still part-time after two years?

The clock on the wall points to half past nine. “He’s late.”

Shuffling from one of the book aisles caught his attention. Maybe he just missed the boss from being too into his work? Closing his notebook, Kyungsoo stood up to find his other hyung.

The sound was becoming louder from the mystery and thriller section. An evil thought came to him. Where better to welcome his boss?

Careful not to disturb the guy, Kyungsoo sneaked past him from the next aisle. Inching closer for maximum spook factor, he raised his arms, filled his lungs, ready to shout in three… two…

“You’re not Suho.”

The shadow bumped into the heavy shelf, books toppling over. Eyes pierced him and he wanted to disappear. With the librarian seeing the ripped pages in his hands, he made a run for it.

“Yah!” Kyungsoo stepped over several paperbacks, trying to run after the vandal but his foot was caught on those scattered on the floor.

By the exit, Suho saw a crazed man running towards him. He stepped aside to avoid spilling the treats in his arms, but before he could get out of earshot, Suho waved to the man with a bright smile. “Thank you for coming to the library! We hope to see you again soon.”

Across the street, the man turned to look at the person who’s seen him, checking if a security guard was following him. Then he took off.

Not a beat after, Kyungsoo ran to Suho. “Why’d you let him go?!”

Suho’s forehead creased. “I figured he was a student cramming for a test.” The wheezing sound from the other man was worrying. “Do we have some sort of marathon event that I don’t know about?”

Ignoring the comment, Kyungsoo took the food from his boss to his work station. “That guy was the one ripping all the pages from our books.”

At this, the other man made a face. “That was him?!”

From the way his boss had gone quiet, Kyungsoo can see him already planning their next move. They started to eat, coming up with a trap. “Think the security cams got a good look at his face?”

Looking at the dimmed lights and dark corners, Suho wasn’t sure. “Tsk. If he’s done this a lot before, he probably knew where to hide. But it wouldn’t hurt to check.”

They quickly finished their meal. From Suho’s office, they watched videos of the last couple of hours. But as suspected, the guy was hiding from the light. They saw a glimpse of him from one of the corners, but they weren’t sure if it was the same person.

“Aissh.” Kyungsoo bit his lip, frustrated. It’s almost past eleven and they’re nowhere closer to solving the problem. “How are we supposed to catch someone like him?”

Suho tapped his cheek. “I can sort of remember his face.”

Just then, Kyungsoo’s phone dinged. The screen showed a message from Yixing. Suddenly, he smiled. “I have an idea.”

 

*

 

Yixing opened his arms. “Everyone this is my roommate, Yifan.”

Suho quirked a brow at Kyungsoo. “What was your idea again?”

“Yixing hyung mentioned an art major friend. I figured he can help sketch the vandal’s face.” He walked over to Yifan and offered a hand. “Thank you for agreeing to do this, Mr. Yifan.”

Yifan shook hands with the librarian. “Call me Kris.” He set down his sketchbook and pencils on the nearest table. “Yixing said you want me to make posters? I’m not sure if I’m the right guy, though.”

Ah, the insecurities of an artist. Kyungsoo knows it well. “I’m sure you’ll do just fine, Kris hyung.” He offered a seat to the student and motioned Suho over. “Now boss, describe enemy number one.”

Suho sat across Kris, a hand rubbing his chin as he tried to remember the night before. “It was all a blur, so forgive me for being slow in giving details.”

Kris nodded, sharpening a pencil. “The important features are the eyes and nose, so we’ll start with that.” Having three people watch his every movement was a bit unnerving, especially with Yixing and the owl-eyed librarian staring giddily at him.

“Well,” Suho pursed his lips. “His eyes are almond shaped, kind of droopy, and on the smaller or thin side? A bit far apart from each other. His nose is long, round at the end but not thick.”

The art student was nodding along, sketching as best and as fast as he could. “What about the rest of his face? Hair? Anything else you remember?”

Suho continued. “His lips were also thin, frowning because he was being chased, but somewhat bow-like, I think. Sharp jaw. And he has messy black hair with round ears sticking out.”

Knowing the final sketch would take a while, Kyungsoo went out to get coffee at the request of his boss. But when he came back, Suho was not pleased. “I only asked you to buy coffee and snacks. I did not say to bring in a hurricane of annoyance.”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Sehunnie offered everything for free. Was I going to refuse? It’s less risk of me spilling everything, plus you save a couple of won too.”

Suho crossed his arms, cheeks puffing. “I don’t need Mr. Oh’s charity. I can pay.”

Sehun grinned. “Oh, I know. Think of this as me trying to get on your good side.” He gave out the coffee to Yixing, the guy sketching on paper with his thick brows furrowed, and Suho. “Here. Americano, iced. So you can sip it while I try to convince you why adding a coffee corner in this library is like milk tea and tapioca bubbles – a match made in heaven.”

They proceeded to argue in whispers, they’re still in the library after all. Some students are still coming and going at this late hour, and Suho doesn’t want to distract Yixing’s friend.

After half an hour or so, the three library people and one coffee beanstalk waited patiently for the artist to finish. Kris blew off pencil dust and wiped the paper before making eye contact with the others. “Now, I don’t know if this will help but-“

Suho waved him off. “I’m sure you did well, Kris. Now show us so we can put up posters around the university.” He added a smile for good measure.

But that smile quickly fell off his face when they all saw what the art major has done.

“Well, what do you think?” Kris glanced at his work once more.

“Ya, gēge. What is that?” Yixing looked confused. “It doesn’t even look human!” He grabbed the sketchpad and stared at the random lines, squares, and are those two dots supposed to be eyes?

Kyungsoo sighed as he rubbed his forehead. “What’s your art specialty again, hyung?”

“Abstract expressionism.” Kris beamed. It’s one of his best works if you ask him. “I told you I wasn’t the right guy for this.” He takes a sip of the coffee left for him. When the others still gave him murder eyes, the artist sighed, disappointed how his work is underappreciated again. He gestured towards the sketchbook still held by his roommate. “Flip it. I also drew a normal version.”

Yixing did just that and they met cold, sad eyes.

The librarian took hold of the sketchbook and shared a look with Suho. “It’s him.” Behind his boss, Sehun hummed, seemingly impressed. “He’s cute.”

Suho slapped the younger man away from him. “Shh!!! No talking in the library.” When Sehun just blinked back, Suho rolled his eyes. “Get out. You’re no help. Shoo, Oh!”

Being pushed out of the door, Sehun signaled Kyungsoo and Yixing. “Give me a few copies of that. I’ll hang them up in my cafés, see if anyone recognizes hi- hey!” Was that a pinch? That freaking hurt. “This isn’t over, Jun- OW!”

Sehun rubbed his nose and glared at the door. Just on the other side, Suho has both palms resting on it, determined to block any attempts of the tall blonde freak to come back in. “Thank you for coming to the library! We hope to never see you again. We don’t need you.”

Yixing laughed, in silence of course because he knows where they are, but he does wonder. “Suho, why do you hate the coffee guy again?”

When he was sure that said coffee guy has left, Suho composed himself and turned around. “A year ago, he told me he wants to put up a coffee corner here. I told him no, and he’s been pestering me ever since.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. “Is that what he wants? I thought-“

“Yes, yes, that’s what he wants. Now where were we?” Suho motioned for the sketchbook. “I can look over pictures of library members. But Oh’s idea wasn’t bad. Let’s make copies of this sketch and put them up around the area too. See if we can at least scare the guy into staying away from our books.”

The librarian held up the sketch again as he went to the copy machine. “Who are you…?”

What’s your story?

 

*

 

10

 

Everything was normal for the next two weeks. People of all ages have come by to read, study, borrow or return library items. No new damaged books reported either.

Kyungsoo’s written plenty for the collection of stories he’s working on and even breezed through a couple of chapters of the book he’s reading. But while Suho and Yixing felt relieved, he couldn’t shake the gnawing feeling in the back of his head.

Yixing came back with a cart full of returned and misplaced books. “No sign of the mysterious monster today too. Maybe your famous glare scared him off that night!”

The librarian smirked, quite proud. “Maybe.” He stood up and stretched. “You can leave early today too and prep for your upcoming exams, hyung. We can sort out those books later.” Kyungsoo handed the student some café coupons that Sehun has given them for the week. “Don’t forget to eat too and get plenty of rest.”

Yixing really wanted to give the other man a hug for being such a big softie, but he wasn’t up to getting a headlock today. So he just gave his signature salute before grabbing his purple backpack. “Thank you, dìdi.” And with that, he was off.

After making sure that he can investigate the library’s current mystery without being bothered, Kyungsoo went through the list of books missing page 241, wanting to figure out the man who tore them away.

With all these questions in his head, he needed to find answers. A large part of the search is because Kyungsoo feels like it’s his duty to guard all the words written by great people before him. But there’s also a small part of him that wants to know the mysterious man’s reason for doing this. Others call it curiosity, Kyungsoo thinks it good writing material.

Thumbing through the list, he sees a couple of famous titles. The Harry Potter series and The Little Prince paints a man with childlike qualities, someone happy-go-lucky and filled with wonder.

Kyungsoo recalled the crazed eyes that pierced his – desperate, confused, angry, and hurt. Something in him stirred at the memory.

He eyed more books, visited them one by one on the shelves. The Vegetarian by Han Kang is also a popular choice, where the heroine’s decision sets off a series of unsettling events.

Now that makes more sense. The man looked lost.

The Devotion of Suspect X makes Kyungsoo think the guy’s blessed with wit, but stories of afterlife like Les Thanatonautes colors the man as sorrowful.

Maybe he’s lost because of loss?

But then there are curve ball titles like Beethoven’s Letters and the medical book Fragile Lives.

Only a few rays of light peeked through the window blinds by the time Kyungsoo was finished with the search. It felt like he’s added more depth to the man whose face was spread throughout the library.

But he needed to know more.

Sure, he also had to catch the vandal for all the damage he’s caused, but the writer in him wanted the truth.

Kyungsoo could really use this man’s story. It feels like the ending he needs. Just thinking about it had him grinning.

“What are you smiling about? Funny book?” Suho asked him.

“Nothing. Just found my next character.” Kyungsoo shrugged and placed the book back in its place. From the corner of his eye, and with the smell of coffee in the air, he sees the café owner heading straight for them. “Ah, your lover’s here. He’s quite punctual.”

Suho made a face and crossed his arms. “If you need me, I’ll be hiding in one of the meeting rooms.”

The librarian shook his head. “You know, a coffee corner in here wouldn’t be so bad. Could bring in more people and extra cash.”

“I don’t need his money.” He glared at Sehun before rushing off somewhere.

By the time the tall man reached Kyungsoo, Suho’s nowhere to be seen. Sehun handed him a fresh cup of coffee with a smile. “I still don’t know why he ignores me. Your boss won’t even hear my proposal. I would’ve given up a long time ago if I didn’t think this would be great for business. Him being cute when he puffs those cheeks really helps too.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “I think that’s why. You’re kind of mixing business with pleasure a little too much.” He takes a sip of the coffee. Mmm. Vivi Café really knows their stuff. Maybe he can help make this deal happen. “Try turning off the flirt and bring the Oh in CEO to the table.”

Sehun smiled. “So he wants to be dominated, huh.” When the pain of Kyungsoo hitting him got too much, he stopped laughing.

 

*

 

12

 

It was a lovely spring morning when Yixing and Kyungsoo heard the ripping of pages again. Before the intern ran towards the sound, the librarian held him back by the arm, thinking it could just be a student letting out stress with his notebook. But his heartbeat picked up, getting the same relentless feeling he got when they talked about the vandal.

The two creeped into the aisles, following the sound of paper being torn. Kyungsoo took out his phone, camera ready to catch the guy red-handed. He waited until the man took another book, flipped it to page 241, and started ripping as quietly as he can.

But you know what’s not quiet? The sound of a camera taking photo evidence proof.

The man froze, his eyes darted between two pairs of curious faces and a phone aimed at him. He ran.

“Oh no you don’t.” Kyungsoo whispered as he and Yixing ran after the shadow. They ignored the puzzled looks of people and papers flying all over the place as they tried to catch the criminal.

Yixing used a shortcut to the exit. The man stopped on his tracks when he saw the intern blocking his way, not seeing the librarian that tackled him a second later. “AH!”

Kyungsoo had him in a particularly powerful headlock.

“Yah! I think you broke my nose!” He tapped the man’s arm around his neck. “Let go of-“ It was getting harder to breathe.

“Kyungsoo! Enough!” Suho tried to pull the librarian away.

Before Kyungsoo and the deranged man attacked each other, a security guard held up his palms on both their chests. “Stop. We’ll take this to the admin office and talk like adults.”

“We caught him!” Yixing shouted. He immediately covered his mouth, forgetting for a second where they were.

When everyone was settled in Suho’s office, he sighed, rubbing his forehead. “Why are you here?”

Sehun shrugged. “We were in the middle of my coffee corner proposal when the action happened.” He quirked an eyebrow at the man being guarded. Yixing stuffed tissues up the guy’s bleeding nose. Sehun would laugh but the scary looks from Suho and Kyungsoo stopped him. “You’re too well dressed to be some random vandal.”

Yixing pouted as he gave the man an ice pack to help with the bump on his head. “Do you steal clothes too?”

Sehun eyed the guy up and down again in his black Dolce & Gabbana suit, perfectly matching his coal black hair. It was dated, maybe around two years old already, but quite pricey nonetheless. He clapped his hands. “Are you a mafia boss?”

That was the last straw.

Suho smiled at the security guard. “Sir, can you please the babbling blonde out? And guard the door. We’ll be fine here.”

The café owner looked shocked. “I’m just trying to help!”

The security guard grabbed said blonde, gently because he liked the man’s coffee and pastries, and led him to the door with a pat on the back. “There, there. Try again tomorrow.”

When silence enveloped the office again, Suho faced the man in question. Kyungsoo’s not going to like what he’ll say next. “We’re not pressing charges.”

“What?!” The librarian shot up from his seat. He glared at the man and his tissue-stuffed nose. “He’s destroyed millions worth of books. Some of them aren’t even on print anymore! How can we not throw him in jail?”

“Well,” Suho eye’s twitched. All he wants is to avoid a lawsuit because he hired a librarian who uses judo headlocks on troublemakers. “Mr. Byun offered to pay for everything.” Huh. Maybe he is in the mafia. Before the librarian explodes again, Suho held up a hand. “He also promised not to rip any of our books and is willing to be on our record to make sure he keeps his end of the deal.”

Kyungsoo huffed and crossed his arms. “What’s up with that, huh? Why’d you do it in the first place?”

Mr. Byun just gave him a funny look.

It honestly ticked him off even more. “So that’s it? We just let the man walk away as we try to replace everything, if it’s even possible, with his money? He’s not even banned from coming here?”

Even Yixing isn’t pleased with how this ended from the look on his face, but there was nothing else they could do. Suho gets the final say. At least they know their books are now safe.

After signing an iron-clad contract whipped up by their boss, Mr. Byun was shown to the exit by security.

When they were a few feet away from the library, the kindly old man handed him his wallet. “You dropped this during that kerfuffle back there, mister…“

“Baekhyun.” His voice was just above a whisper as he took his wallet.

The guard even helped him clean up and fix his wrinkled suit. “You know, I’ve seen you around here a couple of times. I thought you were a walking funeral or something with all the black you’re wearing.”

Wasn’t he?

Baekhyun just gave the man a soft smile, “Thank you for helping me, sir.” He grabbed a couple of won and handed it over. “For all the trouble I caused you too.”

“Don’t worry about it, son. But if you think of ever doing that again, I won’t stop that judo man from finishing the job.” He patted Baekhyun’s shoulder for good measure. “Chin up. Today’s a beautiful day! Enjoy the sunlight and your youth.”

Baekhyun gave a meek nod. “You too, sir. I mean the light. Not that you’re that old or anything.” He huffed. What is wrong with him? “Have a great day, sir.”

After parting ways, Baekhyun walked towards the parking lot, fishing out his car keys. Maybe he shouldn’t drive. It feels like he might’ve gotten a concussion because of the crazy bastard that tackled him. What kind of library was this?

But then again, if Ch-

“Hey, you!”

Baekhyun paused. He turned to see the librarian heading for him and tried not to run on instinct. “Y-Yes?”

Kyungsoo caught up to Mr. Byun and he did his best not to glare. It’s making his eye twitch just being near him. “My boss wanted me to give you these.” He gave the man coupons to Vivi Café. Why Suho has them, he didn’t ask. Or better yet Suho didn’t let him ask. “I’m sorry for hurting you.”

Baekhyun timidly took the coupons and hid them quickly in his pockets. If the other man saw him trembling, he didn’t let it show. “I’m sorry for what I did.”

It was close to noon, the sun is warm, and the weather is nice. But the person in front of Kyungsoo looked so… cold. With a deep breath, Kyungsoo let go of the anger. He might regret this someday but, “You wanna go grab some coffee?”

Nothing.

“We can use those coupons if you’d like. So we can save your money for the books.”

At this, Kyungsoo saw a shadow of a smile.

 

*

 

Cute welcoming barks rang through the speakers when Kyungsoo and Baekhyun stepped foot at Vivi Café. It was followed by a warm “Welcome!” from Luhan who was making cute animal latte art.

When they sat down, Sehun personally served them coffee and even food on the house. He patted the new guy’s shoulder, “You look like you haven’t eaten since winter.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “You know, I can see why Suho hyung hates you.” He agreed with the younger man. But that was rude.

Sehun just winked and left. He had to attend to other things that are about to brew behind the café counters.

The librarian let the man across from him eat and drink in peace as he sipped from his own cup. Mr. Byun is definitely the muse for his book.

On the other side of the table, Baekhyun felt small from being stared at by one of the biggest pairs of eyes he’s ever seen. But he’s smart enough to know this could be his chance to find what he’s looking for. So he stayed silent and waited for the questions floating between them

Please log in to read the full chapter