Two

My Three Dads
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi, everyone!

First of all, let me thank all of you who subscribed and left amazing feedback on the first chapter of this new fic. I really am thankful *cries*

Secondly, I wanna say this chapter is a bit shorter than the previous one (abt. 3.4k words), bc it actually used to be just half of a chapter lol. I was having trouble regarding its length and with the ending, and I didn't want  you guys to wait for even longer. So, I hope you enjoy this one, knowing things will pick up more in the next chapter, to be published as soon as possible.

Thirdly, this chapter has one fake kakaotalk screenshot. If it doesn't show for you, try switching into nightmode, bc I've typed out the text messages right below the picture, in white. This way everyone can read the texts :-) (I will also do this on the first chapter sometime tomorrow, and on the following chapters as well)

Last but not least, happy 2018! <333

 

This was a situation Jongin could not have predicted, after choosing Boryeong for a quiet summer hideaway: being unfairly reprimanded like a teenager after a drunk night out, in front of a bunch of strangers.

How could he have known there was a family dinner for them to attend, when Chanyeol had never mentioned anything of the kind? In fact, Yeol had been the one insisting on not wasting any time of their break and going after some real fun. Well, Jongin hadn't wasted any time alright. But he did come back to Chanyeol's side in just over an hour - not his fault the kid couldn't hold his liquor during that short interval.

Jongin's own parents were not the complaining kind, and his other friends usually dealt with family brawls on their own. Now an adult with a prestigious college degree in his pocket, he had every right to feel offended or at least annoyed, being subjected to this humiliation.

That didn't seem to be the case; actually, Jongin was more amused by the whole scene than anything. Chanyeol's dad (D1 - he knew it by now) had been unfair in that misplaced mini-rant, but there had been no ill intent in his behavior, more like an overreaction to an embarrassing predicament. In truth, all Jongin could focus on, while D1 kept nagging about the irresponsibility of a minor drinking his way into oblivion, was figuring out this guy's actual age. The numbers simply didn't add up. Chanyeol had mentioned being adopted over a decade ago, but his dad did not look a day over 30. Sure, his black polo shirt and cargo pocketed shorts combo screamed "dad", but his small built and glowing complexion, Disney-like eyes, knit brows and pursed lips in distress, all conspired against that telltale.

Something about him was just damn cute. Charming. So much, that it was hard to even take him seriously. Really, really cute... for a dad, of course.

"I think I should take him to the ER,"  D1 suggested a third time, while his family members all gathered around a fast asleep Chanyeol, sprawled on the comfy couch, totally unbothered.

"There's no need for that, he's just knocked out on booze," D1's older brother replied with a somewhat derisive tone. Jongin had already figured out the degrees of kinship among the eight figures that stayed behind after the party was over, from their interactions alone. Chanyeol's uncle was the one actively responding to D1's unending concerns, while his wife had taken the two hyperactive boys and the crying baby outside to the porch. Grandpa watched the exchange between his two sons showing little interest or surprise, and Chanyeol's older sister pretended to keep busy by tidying up the room. As for the other guests... after Jongin's and Chanyeol's garish party entrance, all of them had politely excused themselves and scrammed, to save the family from further embarrassment.

"What if he's in danger, Beomsoo? Alcohol poisoning is --"

"The only real danger is him being hangover out of his mind tomorrow," the middle-aged man retorted once again, much more entertained about this whole quandary than he should. "You've got to get used to this, buddy. Your kids are grown up now."

"That's no excuse!" Countering his brother's argument and eager for support D1 turned to his own father instead. "Irene is three years older than him and she doesn't even drink!"

After this unsolicited vote of confidence, Jongin took a quick peek at the girl, witnessing her eyes immediately bulge with alarm; ultimately, she chose to scurry towards the kitchen and away from the convo, in order not to betray herself.

"He ain't dying, stop this nonsense," the patriarch in the room finally decreed, lazily drawing himself out of the armchair, then walking over to his grandson's limp, drunken body. "The only thing he needs is a good scare tomorrow. In my day, he'd have his handed to him, but since you're all politically correct--"

"I've never spanked my children. And now that he's grown up to 6ft tall, it wouldn't be very smart to try it," D1 was adamant in his response, quite used to the ahjussi's criticism of his parenting choices. "You two aren't doctors, how do you even know he's--"

"We know because, unlike you, Kyungsoo, your brother and I have been bladdered plenty of times before, and we're still here to tell the tales," bluntly, the old man cut off his son yet again. "But if you don't believe us, we have a doctor in the room," he continued, casting his stern look in Jongin's direction. "Give us a prognosis, will you?"

The sudden shift in everyone's attention, now directed at Jongin, was definitely unwelcome. After the initial questioning and admonishing, Jongin had been somewhat forgotten on the side, left to quietly watch the family fuss over Chanyeol's state. He had mentioned being a Med graduate upon arrival, only so people would give him some credit, though he didn't think his professional evaluation would be needed so soon. Besides, the recent announcement of D1's real name - Kyungsoo (as pleasant as its owner) - had distracted him from the more pressing issue at hand.

"He's... showing responses to stimulation, that's a good sign," declared Jongin in his most expert inflection, although slightly uncomfortable to be under scrutiny again. "Rest and hydration in the morning should suffice."

He could see Kyungsoo's expression subtly soften after hearing those words. In turn, his own heart skipped a beat. Funny.

Soon afterwards, it was decided bringing Chanyeol up to sleep in his own room was the best idea. Irene stayed behind to assist her aunt in getting grandpa and the kids and ready for departure, as a two-hour long road trip still awaited them, while Jongin assisted her dad and uncle with the heavy lifting. Amidst this confusion, he never had a chance to exchange two words with any of these people, so after the job was done and while the boy was being safely tucked in bed, Jongin found himself standing aimless by the door like a lost puppy.

"Hi, I'm Do Beomsoo, by the way," the middle-aged guy finally made an informal introduction after stepping out of his nephew's bedroom, while Kyungsoo remained inside, fussing over his son. "Sorry for the... cold reception. My brother can be a bit overprotective."

The man's apologetic face and hushed voice made Jongin smile on the inside. Was he the only one not annoyed, but actually endeared by D1's mini freak-out?

"It's okay; I'm the one who should've been more careful. My name is Kim Jongin."

"Thanks for bringing our Yeol home, Jongin." A light tap on Jongin's shoulder served as further encouragement. "The guest bedroom is right next door. Make yourself at home, alright?"

Jongin nodded in acknowledgement, stealing a glance into Chanyeol's room where D1 (Kyungsoo!) had disappeared into, never to come back. No success. Resigned, he then headed towards the guest bedroom, hoping he'd have a chance to apologize and properly introduce himself to the guy, at least.

Just before closing his door, Jongin was able to crack a smile as Beomsoo, already nearing the top of the stairs, decided to raise his voice towards his dongsaeng, pestering him in order to cheer him up.

"You, Do Kyungsoo! Go get some rest! Kids are home, safe and sound! Don't sweat it and enjoy the summer!"

---

Four hours later, and Jongin had not slept a wink.

There were no complaints about the room itself: extremely cozy bed, peaceful silence and good air conditioning, and a perfect view of black sea reflecting the stars above. A bad case of insomnia, however, had been ravaging him alive for the past few months, resulting from all the stress surrounding the medical qualification exam - or so he kept telling himself. That burden had recently been lifted off his shoulders, so the inability to get a good night of sleep was now unjustified. Day in and day out, he ate nutritious food, exercised regularly as well as moved on from a stressful routine. He hadn't even been overdrinking as he used to in the past. That night, Seoul and everyone living there behind were far away as well... shouldn't that be enough for things to get better?

If this situation went on for longer, he'd have to seek medica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter