One

My Three Dads
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey, everyone!

Thank you so so so so much for the blind support you've given me and this fic, I hope I don't disappoint!

As you can see, this fic will have several kakaotalk screenshots as a way to help tell the story. This chapter has four screenshots, divided in two pairs. If you're not able to see them, please let me know and I'll fix it. It's important that you're able to read them!

I'd like to know what you think of this idea as well. If readers prefer that I type out their text messages, we can discuss it and even put this to a vote :-P.

Again, thank you for all the comments, subs and upvotes, it really means a lot to me. Now onto the story!

<333

 

 

   

---

“I still can’t believe you wear speedos, hyung.” Chanyeol reclined leisurely on the passenger seat, opening a cheeky grin towards the driver.

“I’m a swimmer,” unruffled, Jongin retorted while keeping his eyes focused on the road. “Speedos are the most comfortable for me.”

“Pffft, yeah, right. Like you don’t do it to show off in front of your fanclub.”

The killer smirk that followed pretty much confirmed the truth of that statement, but Jongin went further.

“When you've got it, you can flaunt it.”

The younger male shook his head in amused defeat. This guy’s self-confidence was commendable, and his achievements surely backed it up.

“How do you find time to work out, even?” He asked after a short, wordless while, with only a reggae tune, playing on the radio, filling their comfortable silence. “I can barely sleep with all these classes and assignments!”

“It gets easier with time. Or you just get the drill,” the elder replied coolly once more. “I used to lift weights or jump in the dorm pool, whenever I got a little break.”

Sigh. Chanyeol’s preferred pastimes, whenever his strenuous academic duties allowed, usually revolved around his bed, his laptop and his cell phone – as far away from the gym as possible.

“Have you found a place to rent yet?”

“Yeah, near the hospital. It’s being refurbished. I’ll move in once I get back to Seoul.”

Double sigh. A nice bachelor’s pad was every college student’s housing goal, and for a hot moment, Chanyeol thought he had it nailed - that until his parents had a heated debate over the phone, and his fleeting dream was promptly shattered. He ended up living in a rented dormitory, alongside other pupils of the renowned Seoul National University - which, truth to be told, was not that bad of an arrangement. The place itself was quite hip and stylish, well-located too; besides, he got to partake in way more social activities during that first semester of college than all of high school, and got to meet all sorts of new people.

Among them, the illustrious Mr. Kim Jongin.

If getting into the top college of Medicine in the country hadn't been difficult enough, Jongin managed to maintain excellent scores throughout the six demanding years required to become general practitioner in Korea, achieving one of the highest grades in the 2019 National Qualification Examination for Doctors. However, that fact alone didn’t make him a legend - after all, there were many smart cookies in that crowd. What earned him that status among his peers was the eventful social life he led on and off campus, combined with his undisputed high-regard within the most varied circles. Everyone wanted to be Kim Jongin (even a few who tried to best him), or be with Kim Jongin (including those whose uality was put in question on his behalf), simply because he was so damn cool. A wealthy, handsome, athletic, intelligent, well-liked medical student - now graduate -, who, according to popular belief, also happened to be very skilled in bed. How had this man found a way to succeed in every field of life remained a mystery, one that everybody seemed to be at least curious about, in order to try and emulate his steps.

Enter Park Chanyeol, a lanky, nerdy 19-year-old freshman, who had just been propelled into adulthood, out of his mother’s - actually, father’s - apron strings, straight into the same prestigious med school which Jongin had just graduated from. After arriving for the 2019 school year like a terrified bunny, little by little, he was figuring out a way to adapt to the novel, challenging routine. One Sunday evening, during a random poker tournament at the dorm's common room, by some kind of miracle, he managed to hold his own nicely for a number of rounds, clueless about who his fierce competitor was. Despite still losing at the end, for his perseverance, he was highly praised by an enthused group of seniors gathered 'round the animated bout. Turns out his then opponent was the famous Kim Jongin and, from then on, Chanyeol was inadvertently taken under the guy's wing. His geeky looks and unsure actions contrasted so heavily with the elder’s suave persona, it might’ve seemed like some kind of evil prank was being pulled on the poor novice, but that wasn’t the case after all. For some reason, despite his ever-busy academic and social schedule, Jongin genuinely enjoyed spending time with this unseasoned junior, who, in turn, treasured the opportunity of being mentored like that. Such an unlikely friendship allowed Chanyeol to make acquaintance with the upper crust of SNU’s student body, and get a taste of their colorful college experience.

But now, summer break had arrived, meaning the time for Jongin to part ways with grad school life, at last. At the auspicious age of 24, with a medical degree in his pocket, he was ready to move on to a one-year long internship at the University hospital. During this time, he would begin his practical training under supervision and keep studying hard to enter his residency program of choice, supposed to last for another four years. For that reason, Jongin had moved out of the dorm recently, soon after the national exam in May, then back into his parents’ home - leaving his merry band of fanboys and fangirls disheartened over the departure of their collective role model and/or object of lust.

As expected, a handful of end-of-semester parties, from the most assorted groups of people, were planned to commemorate Jongin’s academic farewell, showing just how far his social circle extended to. However, none of them came to be, to everyone’s disappointment. The man of the hour announced he'd stay out of town from the end of June until the beginning of September, exactly when his work as a hospital full-time intern and the new semester at SNU were supposed to start. Chaos ensued, and, after much insistence, Jongin ended up half-convinced, through dozens of imploring social media posts. He promised an earlier return, at the very end of August, in order to attend one small, intimate bash thrown by his beloved medical school disciples - just two or three hundred guests, tops.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol, not on the SNU social radar for long, and only recognized by his association with Jongin, could only dream of landing an invitation to that exclusive get-together. Most of all, he hoped not to be abandoned, along with all the things and people from grad school, as his hyung naturally changed his routine and shifted his focus elsewhere.

That concern somewhat lessened when an unexpected twist came up. About a week before the end of classes, while casually texting with his hyung, Chanyeol mentioned his plans for the summer break - Boryeong for the first month, Tokyo for the second -, assured that nothing of consequence would come of it. Nonetheless, a couple of days later, a nonchalant Jongin started asking questions, which led to a random, almost unbelievable request.

 

   

 

Chanyeol was both ecstatic and slightly terrified by the prospect of receiving none other than A-lister Kim Jongin at his family's summer house. This was a privilege many SNU students would kill to have, yet it presented him with a critical challenge: having his mentor just to himself, if only for a couple of days, would be a great chance to solidify their friendship. Luckily, since his noona would be arriving on the same day, D1 wouldn't be too pressing for their attention. He'd be able to show Jongin around the town during his stay without any fuss, and maybe even attend a few of the beach parties that went on from early afternoon till late night  - something Chanyeol had never been allowed to do before.

---

"Is your dad really okay with me tagging along like this?"

"Yeah, sure, I told you," Chanyeol answered confidently, after the successful text exchange with D1 earlier that morning. "My dad is pretty 'lax," he continued, with a sprinkling of exaggeration. "He won't get in our way."

"I wouldn't mind spending time with your family, actually." Jongin's reply was sincere and introspective. "It's been a while... new people, new ideas. I'd like that."

Chanyeol grinned on the spot at that observation. "New ideas... I think you'll like my family, then. We're very... unconventional."

"Hmm... because of the divorce?"

"Yeah, that and... the fact that me and my noona were adopted. She was nine, and I was six. We grew up in the same foster home, but we aren't blood related."

"Oh, wow." This time, the elder looked genuinely impressed. "This is amazing," he finally commented after a few suspenseful seconds. "Is it ok if I say that?" As the younger nodded with a genuine smile, Jongin continued. "What I mean is... you and your sister are survivors. And your mom and dad must be really... admirable people."

"Well, I was especially lucky in that regard," Chanyeol recounted his memories with a fond smile. "At first, my parents meant to adopt only one child, my sister Irene... until they met me. I charmed them too, so they ended up adopting us both."

Jongin couldn't help but chuckle at the other's interpretation of such a delicate moment in his life. "That's beautiful, Yeol... I mean, not the fact that you were an orphan, of course I don't mean that--"

"Don't worry, I know what you mean, hyung." Used to this kind of reaction from everyone who learned that story, Chanyeol decided to help the poor guy out.

"Our family could be the inspiration for a sitcom with that already, but there's more. Brace yourself." The younger male took some time to build the suspense, watching Jongin's appropriately puzzled expression with silent amusement. "Me and Irene, we have no mom. We have two adoptive dads."

Now the elder had turned completely speechless from the surprise.

"I hope that's not a problem." Chanyeol added, positive his friend would not be the homophobic type, if not from his diverse group of friends, from his good character alone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter