Chapter 2

Leave Me Be, I'll Leave You Not

Da Rae always looked forward to Saturday nights - HOM’s busking session. She loved dancing but what she loved more was performing. Saturday nights were one of the very few nights she felt truly in tuned with herself. She called it a form of remedy for her to stay sane with the kind of lifestyle she had.

The crowd was on a roll - constantly cheering for her group and singing along to the songs they danced to. HOM consisted of 5 members - Da Rae, Naiya, Yeji, Sunhee, and Gina - and many would say they were an all-rounded group be it in their visuals, skills or personalities. They covered various genres but in the streets of Hongdae, they were favoured for their covers of Kpop choreographies. They weren’t the best group out there but they sure were something. Up to date, Da Rae was still amazed at the amount of support HOM got.

Too absorbed in the choreography they were doing - Girls’ Day I’ll Be Yours -, Da Rae didn’t notice that in the middle of the crowd stood Kim Jongin. It was only when she did her solo part did she realise the man’s presence. Da Rae’s expression wavered but she was quick to go back into character. Despite that, she’d have momentary eye contacts with the fellow throughout the group’s set. Jongin’s gaze pierced into hers and only hers. It was the first time he had managed to catch HOM performing live and he was definitely amazed. He tried not to show it but without even realising it, he’d occasionally smile out of admiration. This, in turn, made Da Rae’s heart flutter because she definitely noticed it - finding it extra adorable how he’d catch himself and look down to ‘fix’ his expression.

The cheers that once filled her ears were then blocked out as she focused on Jongin. Despite her being experienced in performing, she’d still get the jitters whenever there was an audience. That night, however, it felt different. Many would be nervous should the guy they like be near them but in Da Rae’s case, Jongin’s presence felt like something she needed - or rather, wanted. If her best friend, Jinyoung, was there to witness it all, he’d chide her, telling her that she barely even knew him and was already claiming to have fallen for him. Maybe there’d be some truth to the guy’s words - barely a month had passed since the first time Da Rae met Jongin and even then, it was a mere introduction between the two - but Da Rae couldn’t simply ignore how attracted she was to him.

Before they met, Da Rae barely paid attention to guys. Not that she wasn’t interested but rather she was too preoccupied with balancing between her work life and pursuing her dreams of making it in the dance industry. Da Rae wanted to teach dance and she would whenever her work schedule didn’t get in the way - which tend to happen often. She thought she was settled on her priorities in life. Then Jongin entered the picture and suddenly she wasn’t so sure anymore. She wasn’t swayed by the idea of love but the fact that Jongin could make her fall was questionable. Why exactly was she drawn to him? It was an answer Da Rae had yet to find but was set on getting.

HOM was done with their final set - to Da Rae’s dismay. Bowing to the audience, the group packed up their belongings. With them being the last group for the night, the crowd began to disperse despite some still lingering about to talk or take pictures with the dancers there. Da Rae threw her small towel around her neck, wiping the sweat from her face. Before anyone could approach her, she lightly skipped towards Jongin just as he was about to take his leave.

“Hey,” Da Rae said, flashing him the same smile that made his heart flutter weeks back. Jongin wasn’t so sure how she could be so bubbly yet shy at the same time. What he did know was that seconds had passed and she was still waiting for him to say something. Breaking out of his thoughts, he cleared his throat.

“You were great” was all the guy managed to say but it was enough for her. She thanked him both for the compliment and for coming down to watch.

“It’s your first time performing with your group tomorrow, right?” She asked, casually ruffling the hair on the back of her head with her towel. Cautiously, Jongin nodded, wondering how she knew. Jongin was initially there that night just so he could familiarise himself with the spot. He couldn’t deny it - the thought of dancing in an unfamiliar environment made him nervous. He spent more time dancing in the studio than he did outside so he was fairly new in terms of his experience. He hadn’t known it was HOM’s slot that night until s told him.

While you’re there, you can check HOM out. It’s their slot today. Jongin remembered having his heart skip a beat just by the mention of the group’s name.

“Alright, guess I’ll see you then.” Jongin nearly choked on air when he heard that.

“Oh? You’re coming?” Jongin stuttered.

“I always come down to watch Exo whenever I can. I mean, we’re under the same management and all but personally, I’m a fan,” Da Rae laughed, realising how silly she must have sounded.

Cute. Jongin thought to himself, wondering how she would react if she found out the members of Exo were her fans too. A call for her name halted their conversation as Da Rae turned to the direction of the voice. Realising that her members were waiting for her to join them for late dinner, she bid Jongin goodbye. The latter watched as she made her way to her members. Every now and then, random people would stop her, offering her their compliments. Jongin smiled to himself, seeing her genuinely respond to every one of them. It was no wonder many spoke highly of her. When she finally made it back to her team, she slung her arm around one of them. With that, the five disappeared from his sight.

Just then, Jongin’s phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and within a split second, the smile got wiped off his face. Answering the call, he asked his younger sister, Kyungha, what was wrong. His forehead creased with worry as the latter spoke in between sobs.

“Oppa, he’s at it again.” Jongin’s grip on his phone tightened.

“I’m on my way, stay in your room,” Jongin said, clenching his jaw. Hanging up, he heaved a heavy sigh, muttering curses under his breath. Just like that, his encounter with Da Rae got thrown to the back of his mind as he rushed home.


 

Before Jongin had even reached the porch of his house, he could already hear the dreaded screams of his father. The rage inside of him that was dormant the past week began to fill his veins once more. Opening the door of his house, his glaring eyes sought for the man he stopped calling his father years back. Realising Jongin’s presence, the elder put a pause to his yelling and turned towards him.

“Oh look, the ‘good-for-nothing’ son is home,” the man slurred. His hair was disheveled. His shirt was wrongly buttoned and had multiple stains Jongin assumed to be alcohol. His father could barely stand still, swaying like a metronome. Jongin’s eyes searched for his mother and found her curled up in a ball on the living room floor, quivering. His father continued to throw incoherent insults his way, riling him up. Looking down, Jongin shut his eyes in an attempt to suppress his anger but it was of no use. Jongin snapped.

Storming towards his father, Jongin grabbed him by the collar and proceeded to drag him towards the door. The man thrashed about in an attempt to break out of his hold only to no avail.

“What are you doing?! Let go of me! How dare you disrespect your father like this!” The man yelled, his words striking a chord in Jongin. Yanking him close to Jongin’s face so that their eyes met, the younger spoke.

“Firstly, don’t you dare ask for my respect until you learn to respect Umma. Secondly, you stopped being my father years ago so don’t even try to use that word on me. Lastly, get the hell out of this house and don’t you dare return until you get your ing together.” With that, Jongin threw the elder out of the house. The man protested, claiming Jongin had no right to kick him out.

“I pay for the house’s rental and it’s under my name. I have every right to do what I want. Be thankful I didn’t kick you out permanently. You’ve still got a place here but for now, this isn’t what I want anywhere near my house or my family,” Jongin spat, pointing at his father from head to toe. “You better leave within the next five minutes or I’m calling the cops on you. I can’t be bothered with you anymore. I’ve had enough of your .”

Without giving the man any room to speak, Jongin slammed the door on him. Leaning his forehead against the door, Jongin inhaled deeply and held back his tears. All the years he spent bottling up his anger and sadness had been unleashed before he could even take control of the situation. He wasn’t worried about his family financially - they weren’t really struggling despite his father being unemployed. He was, however, worried about them emotionally. Regardless of how his father had been treating his mother the past years, she still loved and cared for him. As for Kyungha, she wasn’t that close to the man but Jongin understood how it felt like to be deprived of a father. She was twelve - too young to be faced with such a situation.

Jongin recollected himself. He didn’t want to break down. He was the pillar of his family and he would constantly remind himself that. Approaching his mother, he took her into his arms, wrapping them around her tightly as he comforted her. Looking up at Kyungha’s room, he told her it was safe to come out. With that said, the door clicked open to reveal the shaking young girl. Taking light and hesitant steps, Kyungha headed down and joined the two in their embrace.

“I’m sorry I had to do that,” Jongin said. In response, his mother shook her head.

“I should have been the one to do that. I’m sorry I didn’t have it in me.”

“Are the two of you hurt?” Jongin asked, pulling away slightly and scanning the two of them for any obvious bruises. They shook their heads, telling him the man never had the chance to. Jongin let out a small sigh of relief, knowing he made it home on time that time around.

“Good.”

There’s no telling what I would’ve done if he did.


 
A/N: Whew, what a chapter. There's a whole different side of Jongin shown here. What do you guys think of the story so far? I'm so happy to see the subscriber count rising. And thank you for your comments and upvotes, they make me soft. :')