Chapter 7

Whispers of the heart


It took a few minutes of complete silence, of Zhou Mi staring into Kyuhyun's eyes before she spoke.

“Because of me? What did I do?”

Kyuhyun laughed, looking down at her hands.

“You did nothing! You didn’t have to, you’ve never done anything to encourage it but I still managed to let myself…”

She couldn’t say it, she had to but it was just too hard.

“I can’t be friends with you anymore, Mi.”

A tiny voice answered her.

“Why?”

“Because Mi, it hurts too much.”

She looked up at Zhou Mi with tears in her eyes to see her completely confused, looking back at her.

“You don’t get it do you?” Kyuhyun sighed, “I don’t know when, or why, or how but… one day I just woke up and stopped feeling like you were my friend. Friend wasn’t enough! I started feeling sad if I went even a day without talking to you. I thought about you all the time. According to Sooyoung I don’t stop talking about you.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“You oblivious Chinese idiot, I’m in love with you!”

Kyuhyun couldn’t force herself to look at Zhou Mi, head down, watching her own tears collect in her hands. She could hear movement and suddenly Zhou Mi was next to her, tilting her head up to look in her eyes. She wiped Kyuhyun's tears away for the second time before she was leaning in and lightly brushing their lips together. She leant back, lips still lightly touching Kyuhyun's.

“You’re the idiot.”

Zhou Mi pulled back a little more to look properly at Kyuhyun.

“I though maybe you liked me… but I wasn’t sure, so I figured that I would wait, because if you didlike me surely you would do something about it. But you didn’t. And then I found out you were going on a date with someone and it made me think, if I carried on waiting I might never get what I want. That’s why I went to your house, so I could tell you. Actually I think your mum figured out why I was there - she said I should wait for you to come home, but after a while I felt quite pathetic so I left.”

Zhou Mi paused to think about her words, lacing her fingers with Kyuhyun's and running her other hand through her fringe.

“Today when I saw you in the store, I thought I would be okay knowing you were with someone. But… just you mentioning her hurt, and then she turned up, and she was beautiful and I couldn’t stand it. That’s why I left.”

They were both silent for a little while, sat together on the floor still holding hands.

“So… what now?”

Zhou Mi chuckled.

“That’s up to you Kui Xian. I know what I want.”

Kyuhyun put her arms around Zhou Mi’s neck and kissed her. Where Sooyoung's kisses had made her dizzy, this made her feel on fire, nerves exploding and stomach turning. Kyuhyun felt alive. Zhou Mi broke the kiss, panting slightly, blushing, and Kyuhyun had never thought she had looked more beautiful.

Zhou Mi lifted her arm up and looked at her watch, they had just been lying on the floor hugging for quite a long time.

“Kui Xian it's 2AM, do you think I could have my arms back to put my pyjamas on?”

Kyuhyun wriggled even closer to Zhou Mi, tightening her hold around her waist.

“In a minute.”

“We'll get sore if we sleep down here.”

“Fine.” Kyuhyun sat up and stretched her arms up, Zhou Mi’s bathrobe almost falling completely off her shoulders, being too big on her. “Have you got something I could sleep in?”

Kyuhyun inwardly did a victory dance at the blush on Zhou Mi’s face when she had caught her looking at where the bathrobe had been slipping. She went to her cupboard to find something that would fit Kyuhyun.

They lay in Zhou Mi’s bed holding hands, Zhou Mi kissing Kyuhyun gently over and over until they both fell asleep with a muttered ‘love you‘ from Zhou Mi.

***

Kyuhyun woke up before Zhou Mi, aching from their time spent lying on the floor, but she didn’t care; she couldn’t remember the last time she had felt this happy, despite her aches and sore eyes from all the crying. Kyuhyun sat up and stretched, brushing the hair out of Zhou Mi’s sleeping face. She kissed Zhou Mi on the cheek who slowly opened her eyes. Kyuhyun felt Zhou Mi’s arms slide around her, pulling her back down to lie next to Zhou Mi in a hug.

“Good morning.”