Chapter 4

Whispers of the heart

It was about half eleven when the sound of Sonic the Hedgehog rang through the room - Kyuhyun's phone, which in all the excitement of her ‘date’ she had misplaced, probably during one of Heechul's attempts to dress her in something hideously ty. It was discovered under a sofa cushion.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me. Er... Mi?”

Kyuhyun laughed, sometimes Zhou Mi was simple. “Hey, did you get all your work finished?”

“About... one more paragraph to go and I should be done, which means I’m free tomorrow!”

“Oh…” Kyuhyun tried to elbow Heechul and Jaejoong out of the way who were trying to overhear who Kyuhyun was talking to and what it was about.

“So, you still want to do something? What time?”

“Well, I thought you would be working all day, so I sort of made some plans in the daytime.”

“SHE HAS A DATE!”

“Shut up, Heechul!” Kyuhyun kicked Heechul away from her and went to continue the call locked in the bathroom. “Sorry about that, but... maybe we could do something tomorrow night? I should be home by 6.”

“…you have a date?”

“Yeah… not my idea. So tomorrow night?”

“Sure Kui Xian, I’ll call you about six and we can go out somewhere. My roommate's got her boyfriend here this weekend and it's really not a pretty sight!”

“OK, sounds good.”

“So… I'd better get back to my work. I’ll speak to you tomorrow, Kui Xian.”

Kyuhyun stared at her phone, confused as to why Zhou Mi had hung up so fast. Work or no work, no matter where Kyuhyun might be, Zhou Mi always had a million and one things to say to her and they could talk on the phone for hours. She ignored the feeling that it was somehow her fault and took the time to call her mother to let her know that she would be late home tomorrow, then went back to the living room, Heechul dragging her back onto the sofa between herself and Sungmin.

“Who was that?”

“Zhou Mi.”

“That was quick. Don’t you normally take a couple of years?”

“She’s busy.”

“What did she say about your date?”

“Nothing.” 

Maybe that’s why Kyuhyun had stopped being excited. She had just realised, going on this date with Sooyoung meant giving up on Zhou Mi ever noticing her.

***

The next morning Kyuhyun was ushered onto a bus, dressed in some of Heechul's clothes because according to her, Kyuhyun dressed like a ‘tramp’ and needed to try wearing colours. She ended up wearing some light-coloured jeans and a blue t-shirt, just that little bit tighter than what she would normally wear. It wasn’t that Kyuhyun didn’t have a good figure, she just didn’t feel comfortable wearing tight clothes the way Heechul and Sungmin did. She was happier in a baggy jumper and her old jeans.

The date itself hadn’t gone as bad as she thought. They had met up for coffee and Kyuhyun had had to turn her phone off after the twentieth call from Heechul asking how it was going. Sooyoung, it transpired, was really funny. Kyuhyun had no problem talking to her and after they had finished their drinks Sooyoung had suggested they go across to the arcade, a building full of computer games - how was Kyuhyun supposed to refuse? It was here that Kyuhyun had embarrassed herself; Sooyoung was an expert at the dance games Kyuhyun normally avoided, choosing to watch Yesung and Heechul's enthusiastic attempts instead. She however, had no coordination at all. Sooyoung managed to play the game hardly missing a beat and still looked y. Not that Kyuhyun was complaining, watching her out of the corner of her eye. At least she had beat her on a shooting game. 

They had been enjoying the light atmosphere so much that they managed to lose track of time. It was already past seven when Kyuhyun decided to check her watch. They waited together for Kyuhyun's bus; Sooyoung said she was going to get a taxi and wanted to make sure Kyuhyun got home safely first. It made Kyuhyun smile. They were still talking randomly when Sooyoung suddenly looked a little more serious.

“I don’t want to presume you enjoyed today as much as I did, but… I was just wondering… I would really like to see you again, if that’s ok?” 

She looked so happy when Kyuhyun smiled and nodded. Maybe going on this date was a good thing. Sooyoung was nice, and clearly interested in her, and she had hardly thought about Zhou Mi all day. Kyuhyun's bus pulled up and Sooyoung threw her arms around Kyuhyun's neck in a hug and Kyuhyun was stepping back from the hug when Sooyoung leaned up to her, kissing her sweet and soft, and their lips only touched for a few seconds but it made Kyuhyun feel a little dizzy. A group of teenage boys boarding the bus catcalled, making Sooyoung blush. She waved cutely at Kyuhyun before wandering off to get a taxi. Kyuhyun smiled all the way home.

***

Kyuhyun practically skipped up to the front door, opening it quietly and slipping inside.

“Mum, I’m home!”

Her mother skidded into the hallway and threw herself onto Kyuhyun in a big hug.

“Oh my God, where have you been?” Kyuhyun prised her mother away from her when it got too difficult to breathe.

“I called you and told you I was going out with a friend.”

“Yes, and you said you would be home by six! It's past 8 already!” Kyuhyun looked at her watch. So it was. “I take it you had fun on your date then?”

“Yeah I did… wait a minute, how did you know I was on a date?”

“Your Chinese friend was here. She turned up just after six. Only left about twenty minutes ago.”

“Zhou Mi was here?”

“Is that her name? I did wonder…”

“I’m going online.”

Kyuhyun turned to walk upstairs.

“Fine, but soon as you are done apologising I want to hear everything about this girl!”

Kyuhyun cringed, she loved the fact her mother was okay with her being gay, but sometimes it got a little wearing; like the moment your mum tries to set you up with a girl in a shop, or even now, asking about her date.

She ran up the stairs and turned the computer on while she changed out of Heechuls clothes and into her comfy shorts and t-shirt for bed. She opened up messenger and prayed Zhou Mi would be online. Why had she been here? Kyuhyun was pretty sure they had arranged to talk before doing something. But still, Zhou Mi had been here and Kyuhyun had missed her. Messenger loaded to show the usual over-done cute username as 'online'.

Kyu says: 
Hello!
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
Hey
Kyu says: 
My Mum says you were here, what happened, did you need something?
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
I wanted to talk to you about something but it doesn’t matter now
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
How was your date?
Kyu says: 
A lot better than I thought it would be
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
Yeah? Whats she like?
Kyu says: 
Funny, Really funny. And Hot!
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
You think you are gonna see her again?
Kyu says: 
I think so
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
Oh, ok.
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
I think I’m gonna go out, see ya.

Kyuhyun was confused, and a little worried. Zhou Mi hardly went out unless it was with her, and weren’t they supposed to do something tonight anyway? She sighed and decided to check her emails while she was online. She loaded up her new game and played it for a few hours, trying hard to forget about how weird Zhou Mi had been.