Chapter 2 part A

Whispers of the heart

Kyuhyun had met Zhou Mi about three months ago to the day. She had been bored out of her mind and decided to go shopping on her own, wandering into her favourite book store and feeling instantly at home; that’s when she had spotted it, on a high shelf - a novel she had been trying to find for at least a year. She wove her way through the shop and reached for the book just as someone else had. Both of them holding the book, they had looked for another copy, of which there wasn’t. Kyuhyun never gave in easy and was prepared to snatch the book and run, that was until she looked at the girl in front of her. She was slightly taller, and at that moment in time was pouting with the most pathetic look in her eyes. Cute, and definitely Kyuhyun's type. She released her hold on the book.

“Oh my God, thank you so much!”

Kyuhyun had smiled, realising that this girl wasn’t Korean, and had an accent. Kyuhyun loved accents. She was still grinning at Kyuhyun who found herself slightly mesmerised, watching as she bounced on her heels slightly and clung to the book.

“It’s fine, you're just going to have to lend it to me when you’ve finished with it,” Kyuhyun smirked, she wasn’t always brilliant at talking to new people, but she knew enough that she wanted to stay talking to this girl. They exchanged phone numbers and email addresses and had been friends since. Zhou Mi was in her first year at university which meant they didn’t get to hang out as often as Kyuhyun liked, but they talked every day - something Kyuhyun had become scarily dependent on.

Talking to most of her friends bored Kyuhyun these days. She loved them all to pieces but they liked such different things, and at times Kyuhyun felt like she really didn’t fit in, but it wasn’t like that with Zhou Mi. She just got her; they could just talk for hours about everything and anything, it always made sense, and Kyuhyun always ended a conversation with a smile on her face.

They played computer games together and Zhou Mi wouldn’t ignore what Kyuhyun was saying, because even if she wasn’t that into games, they were friends and they shared everything. Kyuhyun thrived on those moments when their hands would brush at the passing of a controller, the little jolt of electricity it sent down her arm, making her feel weak.

In turn, they shopped together and Kyuhyun wouldn’t complain, because even though she hated shopping, Zhou Mi loved it and seeing her get excited over a bargain made Kyuhyun feel happy.

***

Kyuhyun was still banging her head against the table when Jaejoong joined them.

“What game did you lose now?”

“Life!” Kyuhyun groaned before folding her arms over her head somewhat dramatically. Jaejoong looked around at the others for help. Eeteuk answered.

“She’s worried that Zhou Mi has figured out that she likes her.”

Jaejoong made a little ‘o’ with looking down at Kyuhyuns head.

“Probably.”

Kyuhyun's head shot up, “What do you mean, 'probably'?”

Jaejoong would have answered, telling Kyuhyun how obvious she is, but Donghae had chosen the moment to pipe up.

“I still don’t think she’s real!” Everyone stared, waiting for her to continue (and perhaps make a little bit of sense). “Well, I mean, none of us have met her…”

“I’ve met her.”

“Shush, Eeteuk. You don’t count,” Heechul stuck her tongue out at Eeteuk's shocked face. Donghae meanwhile was looking between Kyuhyun and Eeteuk, and back again.

“Why does Eeteuk get to meet her but we don’t?”

Kyuhyun tried to think of an answer that wouldn’t offend anyone, but all she was getting was that they just weren’t good enough for her company, and she didn’t want to share. Luckily, Eeteuk saved her.

“We bumped into each other. Kangin and I were in the same café, that’s all!”

Jaejoong took a sudden, excited gust of air before practically squealing and bouncing around in her chair.

“Oh. My. God! You should bring her tomorrow!” she clapped her hands excitedly while everyone else agreed.

“What’s tomorrow?” Kyuhyun asked, slightly worried.

“Saturday, genius.”

“Shut up, Heechul. I meant what’s happening tomorrow that would require me to bring her?”

“You are kidding, right? Shopping. Meal. Everyone stays at mine, happens every month. Ringing any bells?” Heechul stared at Kyuhyun, waiting for the penny to drop.

“That’s tomorrow? Oh… right, I will ask her then I guess,” Kyuhyun sighed, “I’m working till half-twelve though.”

Kyuhyun had worked in a record store for the past two years, every Saturday. She spent most of her shift arguing with the other staff members, and occasionally doing some work that involved avoiding customers.

“That’s ok, we can meet you from work,” Jaejoong was still grinning, clearly proud of herself for thinking of dragging Zhou Mi out with them.

“Well… there’s this new game out and…”

Heechul burst out laughing. “Fine meet at the game shop at one - don’t argue - if we don’t meet you there you will only end up in the store for hours playing demos. It’s for your own good”

Kyuhyun could feel Sungmin staring at her from across the table “What is it, Min?”

“Is Siwon working with you this weekend?”

“If he was, why would I tell you?”

“That’s not very nice…”

Ryeowook looked at Sungmin out of the corner of her eye. “Why are you so interested?”

Kyuhyun had to laugh. “Madame Stalker here," she gestured towards Sungmin, “decided to spend the entirety of last Saturday in my store. Nothing to do with seeing me, just so she could watch that ape behind the counter.”

“He’s not an ape," Sungmin pouted. "And don’t call me a stalker!”

“Sungmin you’ve never met the boy but have on three occasions now spent longer than an hour just watching him… I tell you it’s mega creepy”

“So is he working?”

“No!”

 

 

They all went their own ways after lunch. Kyuhyun had gym class with Eeteuk, which was always eventful. This week was badminton and Eeteuk managed to get the shuttlecock over the net twice, which was a huge improvement. Afterwards was English, during which Kyuhyun fell asleep with her face pressed into a copy of Hamlet. She had never felt happier to hear the bell - it had been a long day, and she was still sort-of freaking out over Zhou Mi knowing.

***

Kyuhyun took in a deep breath before opening the conversation box.


Kyu says: 
Hi 
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
Heeeey ^-^ 
Kyu says: 
Random.. Some of my friends are having a meet up thing tomorrow, and I’ve been told to invite you along 
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
…why… what have you said about me? 
Kyu says: 
*sigh* nothing bad. Don’t be so paranoid. 
Kyu says: 
should I just tell them no? 
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
no way I will come ^-^ just… will that heechul you talk about be there? 
Kyu says: 
yes. Why? 
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
protect me from her???? 
Kyu says: 
lol ok. See you tomorrow when I finish work? 
MiMiSparkles :3 ☆ says: 
oook. Byebye ^-^ <3 


Kyuhyun sighed contentedly, turning off her computer and climbing in to bed. Even if she had to put up with the others all day, at least Zhou Mi would be there to make it a little more bearable.