Twelve Drummers Drumming

12 Days of Writing (Christmas Special)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The doors of the throne room were hastily pulled open by the royal guards. A man dressed in the same grey camoflauge military uniform as the men came marching into the room, one hand on the sword holstered on his hip. He looked distressed, the shadows cast upon his face by the dim lighting in the palace emphasizing the shallowness of his face. He looked as if he hadn't eaten in months.

Despite the lack of fervor in his step, he marched until he stood in the center of the room, perfectly in front of the Imperium King who sat dutifully on his gold plated throne. On either side of him sat the 12 Imperium Brothers. Unlike the ruler of the Royal Blood Empire, the brothers looked uneasy, hard expressions masking their faces as they looked upon the new comer with intense interest. They all wanted better news than they knew was to come.

"Sire," the soldier bowed, adressing the king. "The mortals are nearing the gates. They are not backing down."

The king, looking nonplussed, nodded once. "Let them come." Though he adressed the soldier, his gaze remained fixed above the doors to the throne room, unseeing and somewhat sorrowful.

The soldier started. "But, sir—"

Raising a hand, the king silenced the surprised man while the brothers looked confused and curious. "It is time they fight for what was once theirs," said the king. "Let them come." His never deviated from his unsettling stupor and the solider momentarily looked to the brothers in question. They appeared to be as startled as he was. "Join the others on the front. Fight with diginity. Fight for our kingdom."

Swallowing hard, the soldier bowed hesitantly before leaving the room. The doors shut behind him with an echoing pang. Once his absence was established, the royal brothers turned to their king, their ceremonial father.

"They won't stop until we're entirely extinct," the one of his immediate right stated. "Are we to just sit here and let them bring us our death on a silver platter?" He was angry, fearful. He and his brothers had been at their king's side for centuries now, bringing order to the front of all mankind's functions. Now the humans wanted to annihilate them. For what? Greed. 

"No, Junmyeon," the king replied with leisure. "You are not to sit here in wait. You are to take your brothers and leave the kingdom."

"As cowards?" a brother on the left demanded.

Junmyeon didn't oppose to the accusation. "What then, father? The kingdom will be gone, burnt into the ground by the mortals. What are we to do then?"

"One day, the mortals will need the Royal Imperium Brothers again. Whether to restore order in the land or to protect them from something unforeseen, they will need you again," the king spoke confidently. "Until then, my sons, you shall live amongst them. Quietly. Protect them but do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter