Teaser 1

BaBi - The Path of a Legend - Apply Open!
Restless whispers

By the begining of  2018, Lee Jinyeong had been with MoonRay Entertainment for almost five years and she was proud to say she'd had a front seat to its rise from a no-name company desperately bidding for attention to one of the fastest-rising names in the industry.

She was also proud to say that she'd had something of a hand in that rise, having been one of BaBi's primary managers for the entirety of said five years. However, being so close to the group meant that she also had a front seat to the trials and tribulations the girls had gone through, and as 2018 began and BaBi's contract renewal approached she found herself apprehensive of what might happen next.

She brought up her concerns during a late February staff meeting with the CEO Han Sungsik and Black Out's primary manager Oh Kwangsoo. She normally didn't attend these gatherings but BaBi's other manager was out sick and so she had volunteered to attend in his place.

She'd very carefully planned how she would broach the subject with her boss as Han Sungsik was something of an optimist, and he often didn't take critiques or warnings very seriously until things were well past dire. BaBi's earlier years had been a testament to that, though it had, of course, paid off in the end.

Unfortunately that pay off made Sungsik even more stubbornly unaware of when things were going wrong within his company, and made Jinyeong's job that much more difficult when it came time to bring up her observations from the past year.

Oh Kwangsoo reported on Black Out's progress first, citing increased album and digital sales and proudly noting that the most recent album had charted on US music boards. The group was steadily rising, and while naturally Jinyeong was glad to hear it, she didn't relish the idea of making her presentation after such a glowing report.

"Excellent Kwangsoo, I'm glad things are going so well! I know the boys are in good hands. Now then, Ms. Lee, how are my company queens doing?"

Jinyeong took a quick, steadying breath before giving the CEO a smile.

"Well as you know the group has been promoting Remember for about two weeks now and they just earned their first win on Music Bank last night." She paused to allow for some pride to glow through her. They'd had a decreased budget for BaBi's latest track, but the team had really pulled through on making something fantastic and she didn't want to tarnish that with the second part of her report. "Promotions are going well and sales are about where we expected them for this time. However, I do have a few concerns about the upcoming contract renewals."

She paused again to make sure she still had both men's full attention. Kwangsoo gave her a small nod, and she knew that he must have noticed the same things she had. She nodded back, faintly, glad for the support.

"In the past year the girls have been drifting somewhat, seeming to prefer focusing on their own activities rather than working with their group members. I do think some of them are certainly going to renew, but I'm honestly not sure that they all will. I was hoping to perhaps facilitate some sort of intervention to encourage renewal-"

She stopped speaking when the CEO held up a hand.

"I recognize your concerns Ms. Lee, but the fact of the matter is that it ultimately is the girls's decisions whether or not they wish to remain here. Naturally I'd prefer if they did - BaBi is still our biggest money maker - but after all they've done for us I think it only fair to let them make up their own minds in this case, wouldn't you agree?" He smiled, and though it was far from condescending it made Jinyeong feel small.

"That said, if you feel it necessary I won't stop you from trying to encourage renewal. I simply ask that you respect whatever the girls' final choice is."

Jinyeong nodded, surprised at how well the talk had ultimately gone. Sungsik dismissed the two of them shortly afterwards and Kwangsoo walked with her towards BaBi's rehearsal space, where the group was currently running through the Remember choreography for the umpteenth time.

"If you need any assitance with the girls don't hesitate to ask." Were Kwangsoo's parting words before he turned towards his own group's practice space.

Jinyeong nodded despite his no longer being around to see it, and then she released a shaky breath.

She truly was worried that the group would no longer exist in a year's time, and the thought almost broke her heart. BaBi had been a milestone in her career and she didn't want to let it go.

However, the CEO's words were still swirling in her head as she pushed open the door and greeted the four young women she'd come to consider very important people in the past five years. As she watched them run through their songs once again, she wondered if perhaps it would only be a service to herself to try and convince them to renew their contracts.

And she wondered if that was enough to make her try to convince them regardless of their own wants.

anemone-purple-flower.png
 
author's note

CEO Han is not the most business savvy guy, but he's very personable and very good at hiring people who are better at business-y stuff than he is so it all worked out for him in the end! Also, Jinyeong is only 38, she really has no right calling 32 year olds 'young women' but she does it anyway because she remembers when they were in their twenties and that's sort of the image she'll always have of them. She's also honestly a good person so try not to judge her too much for wanting the girls to stay with MoonRay. She's just trying to keep her job, and no more BaBi means no more second manager needed. Also, for the sake of the timeline Jinyeong was hired shortly after BaBi's first win with I'll Be Yours.