Beginnings

Shattered

It's said that no one has a perfect life, or is perfect. It's true that Sehun isn't perfect, but he feels his life is; or at least close to. He's not bad looking, he lives comfortably, and he has some of the best friends anyone could ask for. His only problem? His mother wants him to date the wrong gender. Not that anyone really knows that he's gay, aside from his two close friends.
"Have you met my boss' daughter?" His mother asks. "She's your age and she's really pretty, as well as smart."
Of course, all he can say is, "No, mother." His father is the same, always wanting to hook Sehun up with the best looking or smartest girls that his co-workers introduce to him. Sehun has actually dated two or three of them, to keep up appearances with his family. 

"I'm sorry It didn't work out with that girl, Sehun," his mother sighs as she cuts into her steak. She smiles at her son warmly before sipping on her wine. "She really did seem nice."
"It alright, mom," Sehun almost smiles. 
"She turned out to be a smoker, right?" She asks. "Oh, that's the worse!"
"Smokers are disgusting," Sehun's father agrees. "I just hope you're smart enough not to date those types of girls anymore."
"Come on, it's not his fault she turned out like that; it's her parents you should blame."
"I know, I just...I can't stand to see our son to date one of those party animals! No goal, no ambition in life."
"Right," Sehun's mother nods. "Not like our Sehun."
While Sehun normally doesn't mind when they talk that way, he wished they wouldn't put him on a pedestal. Sometimes he wishes he had a brother, so some of the pressure to always be perfect would be shared. 

He sets his fork and knife down, looking at the two of them.
"I'll see you two tomorrow," Sehun says as he gets up and grabs his plate. Every Friday, Sehun and his friends go out for a night out; a movie, restaurant, and then they spend the night at Kyungsoo's house. So when he gets changes into a grey sweater vest with skinny jeans and a pair of vans, he doesn't bother grabbing a coat. Picking up his phone, he notices almost fifteen missed messages. Five from his friends, the other ten from a number he's long since blocked. 
Ignoring the desperate text messages, he responds to just the group conversation he was in.

Sehun: dinner is over, tonight is a go :)
Chanyeol's response was immediate. 
Chnyl: !!!Hurray! ^_^
Kyungsoo: There's no need for all of those explanation mark. And when will you change your nickname? It looks dumb.
Chnyl: :(
Kyungsoo: Anyway, my dad says we can borrow the car. I'll come pick you up, Sehun. I already have Chanyeol.
Sehun: cool. ill wait outside

As soon as he hears the honking of Kyungsoo's dad's car, he says goodnight to his parents and he's out the door. "Did you guys decide on a movie?" Sehun asks as he slides in the backseat. 
"Kyungsoo picked a horror, I want action," Chanyeol grumbles. "But since I picked last week, it's his turn."
"Fair enough," Sehun chuckles. "I chose the week before, so I can't help you there, bud."
"Man," Chanyeol mumbles. "Can we eat before the movie?"
Kyungsoo scowls at him. "What will we eat during the movie, then?"
"Okay, well, what about just a quick snack? I'm starving and I can't eat through the previews..."
"Why not just eat during the previews?" Sehun asks with a scoff.
"No, I can't! It's tradition to start eating your movie snacks as SOON as the movie starts!"
"Ugh," Kyungsoo shakes his head. "Fine, but only because it's on the way."

"Do you want anything?" Kyungsoo asks Sehun as they exit the car. Sehun shakes his head.
"I'll wait for the theater," He says, watching as they both enter the store. He sighs and sits on the hood of the car, knowing how long Chanyeol usually takes; he's always indecisive. He sighs at another incoming text, no doubt from that blocked number. He bites his lip as he hovers his finger over the "unblock" button. Sehun hasn't spoken to him in months, not since-
A loud cheering tore Sehun from his thoughts, forcing him to look up and over at a small group of boys near motorcycles. He watches as one of the men down a bottle of beer. Once empty, he throws it against the ground, causing it to shatter. Their loud laughter fills the parking lot as their cigarette smoke makes the air smelling unbearable. Sehun groans and waves around his face to try to get rid of the smell. He wonders why they couldn't just smoke somewhere else, away from the entrance of the store. If the guy was alone, Sehun would say something. But being surrounded by three or four leather coated men; that intimidated Sehun. They could be gang members for all he knew.

Sehun covers his lower face with his shirt, he fiddles with his phone as he waits. 
"Hey!" A voice calls out. Sehun looks up from his phone and narrows his eyes at the approaching man; the one who had smashed the bottle. Sehun pulls his knees up to his chest as if that would protect him any potential harm. "Are we buggin' you?"
Up close, this man was actually rather attractive; He hadn't been able to see him very well before. His tan skin goes extremely well with his light, platinum hair. Taking the cigarette from his thick lips, he tosses it to the ground and smashes it with his combat boots.

"Um..." Sehun pops out from his shirt and looks at him suspiciously "Excuse me?"
"I noticed you over here, waving your nose and covering it like somethin' stinks."
 "Sorry, I uh...Did you...need something?" He asks, looking back at the man. He glances over at the man's friends, noticing one of them staring back. This one looks fairly similar to the man that approached him, but his hair is blonde and styled differently.
"Are you a high schooler? Why're you all alone?" The guy looks into the store. "Waiting for someone?"
"Why are you talking to me like I'm a kid?"
"You looked anxious, that's all. And, uh, you do LOOK kind of kiddish."
"What? No, I don't," Sehun scoffs but looks at his reflection in the car window anyway. Sure enough, he really does; his short, brown hair neatly brushed over his forehead and his white, collared shirt pecking out from under his grey sweater vest. He groans and adjusts his horn-rimmed glasses. He only realizes now just how nerdy he actually looks. His friends couldn't have told him how ridiculous looks either; Kyungsoo's fashion is similar and Chanyeol probably doesn't think he looks dumb. As he said on many occasions, Sehun's glasses made him look "Really smart". 

He watches the man laugh and runs his hands through his own hair. "Nothing wrong with looking like a nerd, I guess," He says. "You do you, man." With another laugh, he gives Sehun a wink and walks away, back to his group. Sehun watches him for a moment. They all looked way cooler than him. With matching leather jackets and boots, that man's tight, leather pants. He was almost the essences of cool like he didn't give a about what anyone thought. Sehun could never pull off a look like that. He lets out a frustrated sigh as he returns back to the car window and messes up his hair.
He wonders how he'll be able to enjoy the rest of his night now.