Park Jungkook

Uthando

The coldest day of the year, snow piled everywhere but the streets where carriages were speeding along to find refuge in their warm homes. Not a single person was out on the streets, for no one dared to face the harsh cold of this December night. The snow covered everything in a blanket of white, hiding all the filth and disease of this street alley, indifferent to the boy hidden beneath this blanket of white. A single boy, wearing nothing more than a few rags and one sock with a hole in it, shivering in the harsh winter storm continuing to cover him in white. The boy put up o fight. He was done fighting. The boy was tired of the constant yelling and painful marks left on his body from the fighting he has endured, his parents, house, and will to live all long forgotten as he sat under his blanket of white. He was not sad, he was quite content actually, because he was ready to move on, and ready to go to a better place. The boy was ready to end his life here on earth and move to a place without the harsh reality he has had to call life. No longer would he have to smell the burning scent of alcohol from the man he called father, or watch him hit the woman he called mother after she would come home late with other men. He was ready to move on. With these thoughts in mind he allowed his heavy eyes to close and replace his vison of white with a deep sense of black.

 

“Wake up! What do we do honey I think he’s dead?! Please wake up dear boy, wake up!!” A shrill voice pierced the darkness surrounding the boy. His eyes slowly fluttered open as he was suddenly engulfed by warmth and soft candle light.

 

“Calm down dear, look! He’s waking up right now, I told you he wasn’t dead.” A masculine voice responded as a warm hand was place on the boy’s head. Still confused by the situation and unsure of his surroundings, the boy laid still as the couple continued to examine the boy.

 

“How long were you out there son?” the man asked while his wife began to boil water in the kettle on their small stove opposite to her husband.

 

“I don’t know.” The boy answered flatly while avoiding eye contact with either of the two in the small kitchen. “But, I don’t want to go home so please don’t make me.” The boy continued. The couple gazed at each other for a moment, then smiled softly at the boy.

 

“We won’t send you away, you may stay here as long as you like dear.” The women said while gently while embracing the small frail body. The boy remained stiff, no emotions showed and no attempt to return the gesture. The days to follow were faced in the same manner, emotionless and cold. The boy helped the couple run their shop, he swept the shop, watered the flowers, and cleaned the windows. While the boy was a help to the couple, worry for the future began to set in. The couple was barley able to keep their shop open before the boy came to stay with them, but now needing to feed, clothe, and care for a young boy the couple began to struggle to balance their finances.

 

“We can’t continue like this for much longer.” The man said with a sigh as he was reviewing their bank accounts again.

 

“I can leave if I’m being a burden.” The boy suddenly said from the open doorway. “I don’t mind the streets,” he continued while stepping towards the table where the couple was sitting.

 

“No! You can stay as long as you want dear, we just need to increase our production a bit, and advertise some more. We definitely won’t send you away.” The women reassured as she brought the boy into a hug.

 

*Jingle Jingle* The bell on the door rang singling a new customer entering the shop. “See there’s a customer now, you don’t need to worry about a thing son.” The man said as the couple rose from the table to greet the customers at the counter. “Good afternoon! How may we help you today sir?“ the women asked while faced with a tall man in a long trench coat and long hat covering most of his face.

 

“Hello, ma’am. I am here on behalf of the royal family, and I have been sent to request negotiation for buying this shop for the royal family, they wish to create a new servants quarters here, because of its closeness to both the market street, and the palace.” The man spoke coolly while presenting a large stack of documents with the royal family’s seal placed on every page. “Of course you would be paid handsomely for this transaction, as well as provided a new place of living if you are unable to find one yourselves.” The man finished speaking and placed a pen next to the documents on the counter.

 

“Um … may we have time to think about it?” the women replied a bit dumbly, while still trying to fully understand the situation.

 

“Of course ma’am. I will return in one week for your answer, or you may come to the palace anytime before then if you have made a decision.” The man said while placing another document on the counter, “Simply present this at the palace’s main gate, and you will be escorted directly to me for any further questions. Good day.” The man said while turning towards the door. “Please come along young prince,” the man said as he headed towards the door. Only then had the couple noticed a small boy standing next to the man in the trench coat, though his eyes seemed to be fixed on something in the shop. Following the boy’s line of sight, the couple noticed the young prince staring at the boy they were caring for, his gaze unmoving as the two boys seemed to be in a staring contest. “Please come to the carriage now prince Jimin.” The man asked again, still with no effect upon the boy.

 

“How old are you?” the prince finally asked breaking the tense silence filling the small shop. The boy behind the counter simply shrugged his shoulders and continued to stare at the prince. “What’s your name?” the prince continued to question, but again the boy simply shrugged. “You don’t know your own name?” the prince announced while taking a step towards the boy, who remained frozen behind the counter.

 

“I was never given one.” The boy finally responded when the prince finally reached the counter.

 

“Never given a name! And you don’t know how old you are?? Surely you can guess from your birthday, when’s your birthday?” the prince questioned while leaning over the counter.
 

“I don’t know, my parents never told me.” The boy responded emotionless as ever.

 

“You don’t even have a birthday?! That’s just unacceptable, when I’m king I will make sure everyone has a birthday and gets to eat a whole cake on their birthday!” with that the young prince hopped over the counter and grabbed the boy’s hands. “From today on, you are my best friend! And today is officially your birthday, so you will come with me to the palace to eat a whole cake!” and with this declaration, Jimin lead the young boy by the hand out of the shop and into the carriage. “We shall return before sundown, and he will eat dinner at my house.” The prince announced to the couple standing flabbergasted at the entrance of the shop, but the prince’s mind was made up and without another word the carriage began to move, and the two boys were alone in the carriage.

 

“My name is Park Jimin, and I am the future king of Amandla, my birthday is July 5th, nice to meet you … oh right you don’t have a name yet. Hmm how about Justin?” the prince asked nearly bouncing of the walls in excitement. “No wait Justin isn’t quite right, a name has to suit you, what’s are some of your favorite things?” Jimin continued to question enthusiastically.

 

“I don’t have any favorite things,” The boy responded flatly. “Oh come on, there has to be something you like!” the prince demanded. After a moment of thought the boy finally gave his answer, “I like cookies.” Was all the monotone boy said. “Great! Then I’ll call you cookie! I can’t wait for you to meet my parents!” Jimin was nearly yelling from his excitement about the whole situation. Finally, when the carriage came to halt, the two boys were in a large garden, covered in lush green and vibrant flowers all perfectly in rows leading to the main entrance of the palace. “Mother! Father! I’m home!” Jimin announced while walking through the grand door of the palace, and his new friend in tow. “Look I made a friend! I named him cookie!” Jimin stated beaming at his parents, proud of his naming skills, “And today is his birthday, so we need two cakes, one for him and one for me.” Jimin declared to his parents smiling fondly at their son.

 

“Well Jimin, it seems you did make a friend; however, I don’t believe cookie is a proper name for a young boy, what does your friend think of this impromptu birthday party, and renaming?” Jimin’s father questioned while look at the small boy next to his son.

 

“He said he likes cookies though! And he didn’t have a name until I gave him one father, so cookie has to be cookie!” Jimin whined as he was explaining the situation to his parents.

 

“Oh, well I guess in that case he may keep the name you have given him, but cookie is still not a proper name for a boy in our kingdom. How about Jungkook? And you can call him Kookie as his nickname? It will be your little secret.” Jimin’s mother proposed.

 

“My own secret name? That’s perfect mother!” Jimin said then turned to his new friend, “Today is your birthday Park Jungkook, you shall eat a whole cake, and become my best friend. Happy Birthday Best Friend!” Jimin screamed as he pulled the boy in for a tight hug. Smiling from ear to Jimin spent the whole day glued to Jungkook’s side, teaching him to play games with him, and giving him personal tour around the palace.

 

“Prince Jimin,” a deep voice said from above the two boys watching a caterpillar in the garden, “It is time for the boy to return his home, I promised his parents he would be home before sunset.”

 

“No!” Jimin shrieked as he clung to Jungkook, “He’s going to stay here with me! I don’t want him to go home!” Jimin continued to scream as he clutched the boy’s sides.

 

“But Jimin, the boy must go home, his parents will worry for him if he stays here, I’m sure he will be able to visit you anoth-“

 

“They aren’t my parents.” Jungkook finally interjected, “I don’t live there, they were simply taking care of me because they found me on the street.” The boy stated while avoiding the prince’s eyes.

 

“See! Now he can stay here with me, and play with me!” Jimin cheered. “What do you say? Do you want to live here in the palace with me Kookie?” Jimin asked with sparking eyes, full of hope and excitement.

 

At first Jungkook hesitated as he thought of the couple who took care of him. He thought of how kind they had been, and how they had been there for him when he was on the verge of death, but then he considered the future. He knew the couple was already struggling to afford food for themselves, and there was no way they would have been able to support him if he stayed with them. While thinking of the warm smiles they had given him for the first time in his life, and the gentle hands which helped him learn to cook with them, and even gave him loving hugs, his mind was made up. “Yes, I will stay with you, but I need you promise me something.” Jungkook said looking directly into the prince’s eyes.

 

“Of course Kookie! What is it?” Jimin said, with the smile never leaving his face.

 

“You must let that couple, keep their flower shop, and never let them go out of business, if you can do that, I will stay with you forever, and play with you every day.” Jungkook said with determination in his eyes.

 

“That’s all? You could have asked for literally the treasures of the kingdom, but all I have to do is make sure a flower shop never closes? Easy! You!” Jimin said turning to the servant who had come to take Jungkook back to the flower shop, “Please inform my parents, my best friend with be living with us from now on, and that I only flowers bought from the flower shop we brought him from for the rest of my life.” Jimin said with a princely tone as he informed the servant of his wishes.

 

“Of course your highness.” The servant said with a bow and retreated into the palace.

 

“Welcome home Kookie!!” Jimin exclaimed while tackling Jungkook to the ground in a tight hug, and for the first time, Jimin saw Jungkook smile, and for a moment, Jimin is sure he was looking directly into the sun.

 

~Back to Present~

 

“Kookie! I have you seen my white sash? I have the blue one, and the gold one, but I want to look extra good for my meeting with Imvelo’s new king!” Jimin yelled across his room, hoping Jungkook was close enough to hear him.

 

“It’s right here sir, I had it sent to the cleaners to be pressed for you lunch with your parents and the new king.” Jungkook replied while handing Jimin the crisp white sash.

 

“Always one step ahead Kookie, what would I do without you.” Jimin teased while slipping into his newly found sash.

 

“I ask myself that every day.” Jungkook added with a chuckle.

 

 

Next Chapter: Two Kingdoms.

 

~Katta