PART TWO.

It's Love

“Good morning Jungkook” you greet him as it’s a new day. He sits typing at his computer like usual.

“Good morning” he responds. Your eyes widen. He never replies to your morning greeting.

Has he finally given up? For the past little while his insults, mocking and uncalled for comments have stopped, and although he continues to tease you it’s not so much in a malicious way but more so in an awkward friendly sorta way.

“How are you?” you ask kindly.

“I’m fine. You?”

“I’m good thanks” you smile taking a seat at your desk and getting to work. That short conversation was nothing but out of the ordinary, and was somewhat unnatural feeling, but it was refreshing to say the least.

 

The work day goes by smoothly. And for once you don’t feel annoyed with Jungkook. About an hour ago you were starting to lose your patience with his pen tapping, but when you asked him to stop he did as asked. It’s been a nice day so far. It’s been nice to not want to strangle Jungkook every other second.

 

You leave your office for a moment to make yourself another cup of tea. It’s cold outside and tea is the only thing keeping you warm. This is your third cup today, but it’s been a few hours since your last.

You grab a tea bag from the cupboard and fill a kettle, putting on the stove to boil. You set the tea bag along with a jar of sugar on the counter. Oh! Milk. You forgot to grab the milk out of the fridge and you know how much you don’t like breakfast tea without milk.

You grab the jug and turn to see Jungkook standing in front of the stuff you placed on the counter and the only cupboard with mugs.

You clear your throat.

“Oh am I in your way?” he jokes, because it’s obvious he is. What is he even doing in the kitchen anyways? You think.

“Yes you’re in my way” you sigh, taking a step closer to him. He shrugs opening the cupboard in front of him. You watch his hand reach for the only mug on the shelf. Don’t you dare. Your eyes widen and you’re sure your pupils are sending out lasers in his direction. He grabs the mug and looks down at your tea bag beside the sugar. His eyes shift to the stove top where the kettle sits. He smirks, shifting his gaze in your direction. He looks at the milk jug in your hand briefly before looking you in the eyes.

“Did you need this?” he holds up the mug.

“No Jungkook, I’m only making myself tea. Hot flippin’ tea. Of course I need it!” you speak loudly and clearly frustrated with his ignorance.

“Sorry” he replies nonchalantly. Walking up to a water cooler in the corner of the kitchen he fills the mug up with water and turns for the kitchen’s exit.

You stare at him. You’re ing kidding me. You think glaring in his direction.

The kettle begins to whistle and it’s almost like the water is boiling as much as your blood. You turn away from him, removing the kettle from the stove top and looking towards your tea stuff.

“Jeon Jungkook!” you yell his name as he walks down the hallway. You sigh and begin opening every cupboard in the kitchen. There has to be another mug somewhere.

You search for a good five minutes without any luck. You take a seat on the tile flooring, sitting facing the cupboard. Nothing. There's nothing. You sigh and hear the sound of something being placed to the counter top.

“Maybe try and reuse your dishes”

Jungkook? You roll your eyes.

You look up at the person standing at your side. It’s Jungkook. You knew it was from his voice, but seeing him looking down at you confirms that.

He chuckles and holds a hand out to you. You take it and he helps you to a standing position. You eye the mug he set to the counter top. It’s the mug you used earlier when you had a tea.

“Now make your tea before the water gets cold” he laughs grabbing the kettle off the stove and handing it to you. You smile taking the kettle.

Quickly you make your tea and for the whole time the bag is steeping Jungkook waits with you in the kitchen. This is odd.

You look towards him for a moment. He still sips at water out of the mug you intended on using. After a short couple of minutes you both walk silently back to your shared office, taking your seats and starting to work once again.

 

Jungkook sits humming along to a song clearly playing through his headphones which he has plugged in. His foot taps to a beat and you’re surprised his pen isn’t tapping with it.

“Ah~” his voice is dragged out. You look down at your paperwork reading the words over and over again to understand them fully. The music from his headphones becomes louder, loud enough that you can now hear the song with just a faint static noise.

You look up and over your shoulder at Jungkook. His head bouncing to the song. You shake yours in response and return to your work. The music doesn’t stop, nor does it get quieter.

It might be dumb; but hearing his music is distracting and because it isn’t actually playing out loud for you both to purposely hear it’s actually annoying you.

You inhale deeply and try focusing on your work, but you can’t with the loud but still muffled beats playing from behind you. You groan and slam your pen down on the desk top.

“I’m sorry, is my music bothering you?” Jungkook’s tone is back to the way it normally is as he removes the headphones from his ears.

“No, not at all” you roll your eyes.

“Huh, that’s good. It’s nice to see some development in our acquaintanceship”

Your eyes widen. “Jungkook, that was sarcastic”

He laughs. “I speak sarcasm, I know it was, but I asked you seriously, so I’m gonna take your answer seriously” he smirks at you in a near spiteful but almost mocking sort of way.

And I thought I could go a day without him getting on my nerves...

You huff watching him put the earbuds back in. You look back at your work for a moment before standing and walking up to Jungkook’s side. Without hesitation you tug the earbuds out of his ears.

“Please, either turn it down, or play it out loud?” your voice is a near beg but still stern. The loud yet muffled music was starting to give you a headache.

“Play it out loud?’

“Yeah, if you’re going to listen to it so loud that I can hear it, I’d rather it just be out loud” you sigh.

“Okay~” he smiles. It’s like he get enjoyment out of annoying you.

He does as asked and unplugs his headphones. He puts the music at a respectful volume and the two of you return to your work. Oddly, now that the music is playing out loud you aren’t annoyed at all. In fact, the two of you have quite the similar music taste; so you find yourself working easily with the music playing.

 

About an hour goes by and you take the last gulp of your tea.

“Do you have any lunch plans?”

You look up from the notepad you write in.

“Did you wanna go for lunch?”

Is Jungkook really asking me out for lunch??? You spin around in your computer chair to face him, already spun around and facing you.

“Whatta you say? Lunch is on me” he smiles, probably for the first time honestly in your direction.

“Um- sure” you reply taking him up on his lunch offer.

 

For another hour or so you continue working as if the lunch topic was never brought up. But when the clock strikes ten after 2pm, you realize your little lunch plans would be coming soon.

“Did you wanna go for lunch now?” just as you thought, lunch would be soon. You turn to face Jungkook standing at his desk and tidying up a few papers.

“Yeah, let’s go” you stand from your desk and slide on your winter coat.

The both of you head out of the office and to the first floor lobby silently. This lunch is about to be real awkward if we can’t figure out how to talk civilly with one another for a long period of time.

“Hey Jungkook” Namjoon’s voice stops Jungkook in his steps. “Oh, Y/N” Namjoon bows his head in notice to you.

“Perfect, I can just tell you both at the same time” Namjoon chuckles. Jungkook and you exchange looks to see if either of you know what he’s talking about. You both don’t.

“You guys are being sent for a business trip, I’ll email you guys with details and Jin and I will come talk with you later today to review what the trip is for”

You blink with heavy eyelids. They expect Jungkook and I to put up with one another for a full business trip? Are they crazy? You close your slightly agape mouth and glance at Jungkook. He nods slowly.

“Okay?” Namjoon asks because neither you or Jungkook responded to him about the trip.

“Okay” Jungkook nods and turns for the front door. You bow and run after Jungkook.

 

The walk down the street is a quiet one. You shiver as the cold air transitions to warm, entering a quaint little coffee shop. You’ve always wanted to come to this cafe. You saw it on your walk in to work your first day and every day after that, but never have you had enough time to stop at the cute inviting coffee shop.

“Do you know what you want?” Jungkook asks you. You glance at him. You have no idea what you want so you scan over the menu pasted to the wall behind the cashiers.

“Just a green tea?”

“Don’t tell me, just order” Jungkook laughs. “And get something to eat too”.

You’re not exactly hungry, and you don’t want him spending his money on you, but if he insists then you should get something small.

Jungkook steps up to the cashier placing his order. He gestures to you and you step up to the counter.

“A small green tea one sweetener please, and two chocolate chip cookies” you order. The woman behind the counter nods and tells Jungkook the price. He pays with exact change.

“We can go sit down” he speaks grabbing the buzzer from the woman.

“Thank you very much for lunch”

“No problem, I figured we should maybe try and be friends. It’s really hard trying to find new ways to bother you everyday” he laughs. So he does this on purpose?

“It really dealing with your antics every day too” you roll your eyes and let out a small laugh.

“Friends?” he smiles towards you. Boy, this isn’t how it works. You can’t just take me for lunch and expect me to be your friend when a couple hours ago I was on the brink of strangling you.

“Not enemies?” you state a correction with a teasing manner.

The buzzer vibrates across the table and Jungkook stands to retrieve your orders.

He returns in no time, handing you a plate with two cookies and setting your tea to the table top. You thank him once again.

For a few minutes you hold a silence. A comfortable silence while you both eat. You finish one cookie and look towards him.

“Why do you like getting on my nerves?”

Jungkook laughs at your question. “It’s not that I like to, it’s just easy to irritate you”

“And you find fun in that?”

“I wouldn’t say fun, but I do find it amusing” he chuckles.

“I don’t” you roll your eyes a little. Maybe he’s right. I am easy to irritate. You think beginning to feel irritated in this whole confession.

“Listen, I’m sorry for how I’ve treated you” he lowers his chin and avoids your eye contact. You furrow your eyebrows at his sudden apology.

“Jungkook-”

“I’m just not the best at making friends”

“You don’t say” you scoff jokingly. But seeing the sincere look pasted to his face you immediately wish to take those words back.

He sighs deeply. “Honestly, I’m sorry for being such an ”

“Don’t worry about it” you assure him it’s okay, but in all truth, it’s not okay; the way he’s treated you has never been okay. His insults, mocking and teases have never been and never will be okay.

“I’m not worrying, I just want you to know that’s not the kind of guy I am, and I’ll treat you better from now on” he lowers his head once again. For some reason there’s an unfamiliar feeling of sympathy aching in your heart for him. You’re the one who he’s treated poorly but here you sit wanting him to not feel sorry. Why am I feeling this way?

 

“So what do you think of our trip?” you change the subject. Not because you want the conversation to end without a full explanation to his treatment, but because you can’t stand this warm and new feeling inside you. The unwanted bubbly, fuzzy, and heated feeling radiating in your heart as you look at his sorrowful and apologetic expression. It’s not an angry feeling. It’s not a sad feeling. And it sure isn’t a happy one. It’s nothing like any feeling you’ve ever felt before and you want it to go away.

“These trips always ” he laughs, the mood lifting. He’s been on multiple business trips of this sort, so you can’t help but believe him when he says it’ll .

“Maybe it’ll be better since we’ll be together, and not alone like I’ve alway been on trips” he chuckles lowly. Is he really looking forward to spending time with me? Your mind is asking silly questions. But in the back of your mind, you’re almost looking forward to spending more time with him too.

Out of nowhere, you feel the need to actually be friends with him. His apology means something to you and considering he is your co-worker and you will have no way of escaping him anytime soon, it’s best that the two of you start getting along better.

“Let’s hope” you smile, taking a bite of your remaining cookie you almost forgot you had.

“Is the cookie good?” he asks you in a genuine friendly and sweet way. You look across the table at him. It’s like he’s become a whole new person to you after apologizing. His eyes aren’t dead black orbs but instead they’re lit up; his black eyes sparkle like what the night sky looks like with all of it’s stars. His lips are no longer pursued in an unimpressed format, instead the corners are turned upward into a subtle, relaxed and natural smile.

“It’s really tasty” you answer his question, having now taken a good look at him. He just seems so different, but in a good way. And for the first time ever you actually feel like you could be friends with him.

“Did you want a bite?” you ask, pinching off a piece of cookie in between your fingers and holding it out in his direction. He holds in a laugh and takes the cookie from you.

He take the bite without argument. Maybe he isn’t such a bad guy after all.

“It’s sweet” he smiles with his lips. You smile with yours in return. That warm feeling from before returns and you inhale quietly. What is this feeling?

“My nickname is Kookie”

You giggle at the odd fact about him.

‘What?” he questions your laughter.

“Nothing” you silence your giggle. “Mine’s airhead” you admit your own nickname.

“Huh. Makes sense”

“Hey” you offendedly toss a napkin at him and his response. He chuckles attempting to throw the napkin back at you. You laugh at his failed toss.

“Don’t laugh. Airhead” he teases playfully.