PART ONE.

It's Love

 

Your eyes watch your black high heeled ankle boots step over the snow dusted cobblestone streets as you approach your new workplace. Your arms are wrapped around yourself to keep warm with only your thin autumn jacket to cover you on this cold winter day. Your purse hangs from your forearm and your hair falls messily waved in front of your face. At this point you’re certain you look like a hot mess. Your eyes are tearing from the cold breeze and your hair is tangling in the gusts.

Why couldn’t the building be closer to the subway. You think as you continue to walk up the bustling street. A few dozen of others all walk casually on their own work commutes. You sigh and look up from the ground. Loosening your grip around yourself you straighten your posture and take a step towards the large building’s front door.

Catching a glance of yourself in the window’s reflection you quickly take a moment to fix your windblown hair, brushing through it with your fingers. You inhale deeply and open the door stepping into the warm air. Despite the lobby feeling warm physically, it’s nothing but cold in atmosphere.

This whole corporate thing is new to you and no part of it feels comfortable; but keeping your head high you took the job confidently knowing an opportunity like this wouldn’t come again any time soon.

 

“Y/N?” a male's voice sounds from behind you as you approach the front desk. You jump startled with the abruptness of the man. You turn to see Namjoon smiling down towards you.

Namjoon is the man who interviewed you for the job; he’s a friendly guy of course but his casual aura is making you more nervous for the start of your first day. You would think the casual vibe would calm your anxiety but it only makes it worse.

“Hello” you bow politely and he chuckles.

“I’ll show you around” he insists and you take in a silent deep breath with a nod.

 

“Are you looking forward to starting?” he questions, striking a conversation.

“Um-” you start.

“We’re all very happy to have you” he looks back at you over his shoulder still with that same smile.

All? You’re all happy to have me? You question his words in your head.

 

After leading you around the first and second floor and showing you the kitchen, washrooms and almost everything there is to be shown in the place, you finally arrive on floor three; the floor where you’ll be working.

“Well Y/N, this is now your office, make yourself comfortable” he stops his steps gesturing with a hand stretched out at his side into a roomy office space farthest from the elevator.

You bow your head and thank him for showing you around. Stepping into the office and past the tall lanky man, you thank him once more to show your gratitude.

“If you have any questions or concerns just come find me, I’m just down the way” he speaks kindly. You bow your head once more and he leaves you to yourself.

You exhale heavily looking around your new office space. It’s a dark office despite it having a large window on the wall opposite from the door. There is two work desks on opposite walls; one has a desktop computer sitting it’s surface, the screensaver bouncing from corner to corner. There's a small waste basket to the desk’s left and a filing cabinet to it’s right. The other desk is bare and fairly vacant.

You shrug, sliding your coat off your shoulders. You rest it on the back of the chair at the desk with the computer. Putting your purse down on the floor beside the desk in front of the waste basket you take a seat. This just seems weird. But you’ll get over the weird feeling once you get your first job assignment.

You shake the mouse lighting up the computer screen. Nothing is open on the screen; it’s background image is of a group of men. Some of the employees here? You click, opening the taskbar search.

“I’ll catch you later” you hear a voice echoing from outside the door. “Oh?” that same voice sounds confused.

“That’s actually my desk” the voice continues. It’s a male and his tone doesn’t sound impressed. You don’t turn to face him, you just stare forward and at the computer screen’s background image.

“I’m sorry, I was just told this was my office, I misunderstood” you speak professionally apologizing to your fellow employee. Namjoon never mentioned you would have a shared office; but that would explain the empty second desk in the room.

“Well, this is my office and that’s my desk” the male adds. You quickly stand from the chair, picking up your purse and grabbing your jacket from the chair’s back. You turn to face the man.

He’s tall, with round eyes and black hair fringed across his forehead. He looks to be around your age, a few years older maybe, but still in that ball park.

“Hi, I’m Y/N” you bow a bit, trying to change the heavy mood, politely introducing yourself to your new office mate and work partner. You hold out your hand for him to shake. His eyes glance down at your hand and then away from you briefly, a slight eye roll if you will.

“Jungkook” he says his name, stepping past you and practically jumping into his desk chair. You blink looking towards your hand open for what is now a rufused handshake.

He is really going to be this rude over a small misunderstanding? You roll your eyes and take a seat at the other desk.

You have to admit, he is fairly attractive but no matter his good looks, with that rash greeting, you can think of him as nothing but a prick, rather, an .

You sit with your elbows on the desk top. With no computer, no notebook, no nothing your work day was about to feel ten times longer than it actually will be.

 

“Are you really just gonna sit there?” Jungkook, so he said his name was, questions. His tone is enough to tick your nerves.

“What am I supposed to do?” you ask not sending him any form of eye contact.

“Work. This is a workplace, that's what it’s for” his continuous words and harsh tone is only confirming your original thought of him. He is an .

“And with what am I supposed to work with?” you turn in your chair to face him. Your own voice is unwilling starting to sound ticked, if not y.

His back faces you and he continues clicking things on his computer. He scoffs signifying the end of your conversation. You turn back to face the bare top of your desk. You shake your head. Reaching into your purse you pull out a small yellow sticky note pad you have in there for when you do groceries and a blue ink pen. You begin drawing doodles on the small page.

You hear the man behind you shuffling through papers and slamming closed the drawers of his desk. You jump at the sound of his pen hitting the desk top, and his chair rolling as he stands. You practically sigh and continue to doodle.

“Here” he drops a stack of paper and a notebook in front of you. You lean back in your chair as it hits the desk.

“Next time, don’t be so incompetent and come prepared” he states harshly. You look up at him standing at your side. He shakes his head and exits the office with quick steps.

It’s only been ten minutes into your first work day and you’re already hating the job. Why do I have to get stuck with a prick of a co-worker.

You roll your eyes and look down at the papers in front of you. You sort through the pages but your mind is distracted. Within the past ten minutes your so called co-worker and job partner has managed to get on your nerves, insult you and prove to you that your new work life is going to be miserable.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Good morning Jungkook” you greet the boy like you do every day and he replies the same every time; he doesn’t reply.

You take off your winter coat and hang it up on the coat rack you brought into the office when you moved yourself into your work space. Jungkook’s coat already hangs on it and he sits working away like always.

It’s been three weeks since you started the job and needless to say Jungkook has continued to erk you. Everyday is the same thing. He questions your work abilities by practically insulting your every move. He doesn’t speak to you unless it’s a critique or some sly and near sarcastic comment about something you’ve done. And lord help you if you accidently make a mistake on your paperwork, because the most he ever talks is when he’s correcting you; you’ll never hear the end of it. Your mistakes are like a prize to him. He’ll lavish in them and enjoy your failures.

Just one week ago you made an accidental calculation error on your paper work, and when Jin, your floor’s manager read them over and came to speak with you. Jungkook was snickering quietly the whole time Jin was in the office scolding you for your wrong doings. But it was Jungkook’s insulting and degrading comments afterwards that are truly the cherry on top.

Your work life is miserable, but the pay is enough to keep your here. You have to pay rent somehow, and if that somehow is sticking it out and working alongside some of a guy, then so be it.

To be honest, the job you're doing is a job you’ve dreamt about for a long time coming, and you wish you could fully enjoy the work, but it’s impossible to look forward to going into work when you know you’ll have to handle Jungkook getting on your every nerve. There was one day you enjoyed in the past three weeks and it was when Jungkook was out of the city on a business trip. You know full well that you should respect Jungkook as your co-worker, he has been working longer than you and he is technically higher up in the job; but it’s hard to respect somebody who has no respect for you.

 

    ~ ~ ~

 

It’s been a month now and your work days haven’t gotten any easier with Jungkook’s nags.

 

You type on your computer trying to quickly finish up one of eight reports due today. You pause, listening to Jungkook’s incessant tapping of his pen. You sigh deeply hoping he’ll get the hint and stop with the annoying taps.

He got the hint. You roll your eyes as the tapping shifts to clicking of the pen. Click after click your patience only lowers.

“Would you stop!” you snap. You never show your annoyance to him, so you’re nearly taken back at your own statement. You spin around in your chair to face his back. “Please, Jungkook, stop with the tapping and clicking” you speak with a heavy sigh.

“Why? Is it annoying you?” he spins around to face you, pen still in hand.

“Yes” you answer.

“Then no” he smirks. “I won’t stop” he turns back around in his chair. You roll yours eyes. Even when you ask kindly he doesn’t respect you. He’s ridiculous. Just, ridiculous.

You begin typing again and for a few minutes Jungkook remains silent. Finally.

You thought too soon. Rolling your eyes you slam your palms down on your desk. The tapping of his pen sounding once again.

“Jungkook” you harshly speak his name.

“Yes?” he speaks casually, ignoring all sense of annoyance in your tone.

For the past week now, his usual insults and unneeded nags have transitioned to more so that of teasing. And truthfully you wish he’d return to the insults instead of the playful teases.

“Stop” you say, on your last nerve.

The tapping continues and you can’t take it anymore. Standing from your desk you step up to his side. He rests his forehead in one hand and that elbow on the table, while his other hand taps the pen and his eyes read over a paper in front of him.

You exhale and narrow your eyes. Angrily snatching the pen from his hand you toss it into the wastebasket. He looks to the garbage briefly before up at you. “” he blinks as if he didn’t see this coming.

“Have some respect and let me focus”

“You expect me to let you focus when you won’t let me do the same?” he questions you as you retake a seat at your desk.

“I can’t focus with you tapping your pen like that” you tell him, looking at him now standing at your side.

“And I can’t focus without tapping my pen like that” he mimics your words. His hand reaches down taking your pen out of the cylinder holder at the corner of your desk.

“That’s my pen” you watch him walk back to his desk and take a seat.

“Yes, it is. And you threw mine in the trash” he retorts.

“Seriously? So you take mine? You have like ten extra in your drawer” you roll your eyes at his childish actions.

“Actually, nine. I have nine extra because you trashed my tenth” he tells you.

You scoff. He’s so annoying.

You return to your work and he returns to his pen tapping habit. You look over your shoulder with a sigh.

“Deal with it” he speaks looking over his shoulder at you.

Pulling out your phone and earbuds you begin playing music to block out the taps. Even if the music is a distraction for your focus, it’s better than listening to the constant ticking of the pen cap.

 

    ~ ~ ~

 

 

You take a sip of your tea, scrolling on Youtube. Your work day isn’t a productive one; well, you don’t have any projects to work on. Jungkook on the other hand is working like a mad man to finish his reports. For some sick reason, you find it quite amusing that he’s behind on his work and you finished early. All his bragging and nagging you to do better clearly payed off. The fact that most of the other employees have given you props, complimented you on your good work, and even said you’re better at the job than Jungkook makes you feel really good. But in another aspect, you feel bad. Jungkook seems stressed, and as much as the others saying you're better than him raises your deflated ego, it must hurt him to hear.

“Hey Jungkook-”

“Not now” he says frantically trying to finish his work as the end of the work day approaches quickly.

“Did you need any help?” you offer to do one of his reports.

Honestly, you feel for him. The stress of needing to finishes these reports is a horrible stress that you’ve felt before, so you understand very well what he’s feeling.

“No I don’t need help” he looks to you with an eyeroll.

“I’m only offering because you seem stressed”

“I’d be less stressed if you’d stop talking to me”

You nod. Without his permission you take his only unfinished report off his desk while he still works on the other. He sighs heavily and you quietly get to work. Reading what he has written. He’s very good at what he does. No wonder he gets hurt when he hears people compliment me.