One Ticket to Netherlands

EUNOIA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waking up to nothing when you’re super far for home
And I watched you fall asleep at night and lay there on my own
Got me begging for affection
All you do is roll your eyes
Broken down, I’ve had enough
If this is love, I don’t want it
– Super Far, LANY

***

‘Enjoy your trip! Stay out of trouble :)’

She wipes the screen with her thumb. Endlessly. She read it again and again, each letters, hoping it would be changed miraculously.  For hundreds time. Or maybe more. If there’s one thing that she’s grateful about, it is the fact that so far, Jungsoo and her are not awkward to each other. On the text basis at least. She hasn’t figured it out how it would feel when they met. After that night, they haven’t had chance to see each other again.

Two and half years. Almost thousand nights shared together, thousand sunsets and sunrises. A beautiful journey to pursue, until both are too tired to compromised, Jungsoo more likely. At the end of the day, he had different dream. Different expectation.

The last two months are very dreadful for Eunsook. She kept blaming herself until her best friend convinced her to rest her case. Free her soul for her own good because she deserved better.

So when Junghee offered to come over visit her and Minho to their new house, she didn’t think twice booking the ticket for a summer escapades. And now, here she is, anxiously waiting for her flight at the boarding room. Checking her phone continuously without even aware that she’s torturing herself for some ruined story.

Drown in her thought, she jolts a bit when the phone vibrates in her hand.

“Where are you now?”

She massaged her forehead hearing how her best friend shouted, “I just texted you ten minutes ago. Of course I’m still waiting for my in’ plane!”

“I wonder if you left your mouth at home purposely when you’re studying at school. Your language sounds uneducated. Besides, it’s not annoying when your best friend checking on you to make sure you’re not suicidal.”

“Best friend won’t make up a scene where I’m doing such a reckless action.”

“Who knows you became an extremist!”

“As if! I won’t kill myself over a guy!”

“This one is not just a guy. This one is an ex-fiancée-to-be.”

Eunsook sighed again, and Junghee frowned on the other line.

“Are you okay, honey?”

“We are not even thinking about engagement, Junghee-ah.”

“And that’s why I always said that he’s stupid.”

“He’s not.”

“Then what?!” Junghee’s almost shrieking on her couch.

“He just realized I was holding him back.”

“Holding him back for what?! For a better life?! How can you still defend him? At this point I cannot tell who the brainless one is.”

“You are the brainless one! You got married too fast!”

Eunsook tried to divert her to the topic she loves the best.

“Don’t blame me! Minho is just too good!”

“And you’re too weak.”

“Who can’t resist a very beautiful rose diamond ring?”

The lady sitting next to her gives her the eye when Eunsook cracks loudly.

“My materialistic woman. This is why I love you, Kim Junghee!”

“Come here quickly! I miss you so much you have no idea!”

“I miss you too, baby! I’ll see you in couple hours!”

“Stay out of trouble! See you soon!”

Eunsook pressed the red circle on her phone. Same words, different feeling, she thought. She sighed for the umpteenth time that day when the announcement is telling her to get on the plane.

***

“Lee Eunsook!!”

Junghee already shouting when there’s still around 100 meter distance between them. Minho can only chuckle and try so hard covering his face while his wife embarrassing themselves. She beams right away when she saw Junghee jumps around flailing her arms, looks like a very excited five years old.

“Oh my good grace! Finally!”

Minho automatically takes Eunsook’s luggage from her hand when he saw Junghee hugged her excessively.

“You’re killing me, woman!”

But Junghee doesn’t care because she understand what Eunsook had been through.

“Let’s go! I’ve cooked your favorite dish!”

She doesn’t allow Eunsook to have time to think again for she’s afraid her best friend would feel lonelier after she released her from the embrace.  

“Fried chicken?”

Her lips pouting immediately, “Your second favorite, then.”

“Seafood?”

“What the hell, Lee Eunsook! Italy changed you!”

“I always love fried chicken and seafood!”

“Whatever! You need to eat! A lot! I don’t like be friend with a walking skeleton!”

“Can you see my thighs are bigger than yours?”

Junghee just ran faster to the exit direction, preventing them to recognize the full brim on her eyes.

“What have she cooked, actually?” Eunsook can’t help but ask Minho while they walked side by side.

“The whole restaurant.”

“What?!”

Minho laughed when he saw Eunsook’s eyes doubled their size, “You know it’s her way to comfort people around her.”

“I know.”

“And she wanted only the best for her best friend. If you know what I mean.”

“And I know exactly what you mean.”

“You okay now?”

Minho’s voice sounds concerned and he didn’t even try to hide it, “Taemin called me. He said you’ve been weeping like a trooper’s widow. I’m quoting, here. Not my own words.”

“That ungrateful traitor. It was two months ago. I’m doing great ever since.”

He turned his face to seek for the truth on her eyes but Eunsook is too smart to hang the poker face perfectly.

“Come on, or your wife will kill both of us.”

Minho shrugged, remembers very well how Junghee stomped around the house cursing for hours when she knew the reason why Jungsoo t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter