Hold Your Breath

Through Summer, My Boss

The night followed the flow of their first, with the restaraunt bill forcibly covered by Baekhyun and both boys being sat in a Karaoke at around 3am, tipsy and pausing the music to talk. So far they had managed to discuss almost every co-worker, perhaps twice, in a futile attempt to skirt around the unavoidable conversation about their copying antics. They sat close enough for their thighs to touch, Baekhyun's eyes rounded like a small puppy whilst listening to Jongin's story on one of his past bosses. After a while, silence fell like a blanket, and the two males sat watching each others subtle movements.

"Jongin." Baekhyun started, his index finger swirling around the loose thread on his knee, "I don't want you to do those things." he whispered, slowly forming each word as though pre-rehearsed. "I know, the punches to the chest were a pretty clear symbol." the other joked, but found himself continuing on a more serious note once he noted the slight frown forming on Baekhyun's face, "I won't, Baek. I really don't care what we do, I'd just like it if 'we' continued. Boss-coworker, friends, anything." he explained, with the elders expression softening slightly. "Why?" Baekhyun asked, simply. Jongin hadn't noticed before, as the formers gaze was previously stuck to the ground, but his eyelashes seemed to be getting damp... He was tearful. Jongin hadn't put the other down as a crying type of drunk, so he was taken aback by the sudden display of emotion. "Because," the taller started, as he slid his fingers under the tense palm of the smaller male, pushing the digits between those of Baekhyun's and holding his hand, "I just like looking at you, hearing your voice, getting drunk with you.. Receiving your messages. Hell, even just knowing you're in the same building feels pretty good. Don't ask why, I don't know. I just think sometimes people click like this." he finished, watching as Baekhyun blinked hard in an attempt to clear his eyes of the tears he felt embarrassed of. He held onto Jongin's hand tightly and inhaled slowly before his gaze met the others, "I think it's called a crush. It'll pass." he reassured; but this wasn't what Jongin thought and he could therefore not find it within himself to agree. The latter shook his head, lips curved into a slight smile as he stared at Baekhyun, "I'm not that much younger than you. I know what a crush is. It isn't that. I'm just happy around you, do you hate it that much?" "I hate it that much. I hate it. If you're happy with me right now, just know it won't last." Baekhyun retorted quickly.

Jongin wasn't sure what he meant, at all, but watching the older male tear up once again felt like someone ing a knife into his chest and stomach all at once. Like all the butterflies he got when he looked at his boss were becoming bees who stung him from the inside out. The first time they had met, Jongin saw Baekhyun as a cool-minded boss who didn't really care about the company and was just getting by, with a handful of emotions which he didn't bother to push to the extremes. He thought he was hard-headed. But the more he saw the fragility, the more Jongin felt drawn to the other. He couldn't help himself, and the alcohol was no assistance in holding up the barrier as he felt himself lean closer to Baekhyun once more, their lips connecting slightly unexpectedly. Jongin squeezed the others hand and kissed him with a firm passion, his spare fingers moving into the mess of his bosses hair as he molded and parted his swollen lips against Baekhyun's quivering ones. He kissed him the way he'd dreamt of kissing him on their first night out, how he'd wished he had grabbed the older male and kissed him hard and fast in his apartment. He kissed him deeply enough to make the threatening tears at the others eyes fall gently and then halt, and caressed him gently enough to make Baekhyun's body curve slightly into Jongin's touch. After a few minutes, they stopped, panting. "Guys like me... Guys like me need guys like you." Jongin muttered amidst the sweet silence of the sound-proofed room. Baekhyun's hand was still firmly clasping the youngers.

"So," Jongin started as both boys walked down narrow side streets towards Baekhyun's apartment at around 5am, "I guess you like guys too, huh." he stated playfully, eyebrows perked as he glanced over at the younger male, who had barely spoken aside from "let's go, it's late" since the physical moment in the karaoke room. "Guy." Baekhyun responded quietly, a coy smile on his lips matching the one that grew on Jongin's. They got to Baekhyun's apartment complex fairly quickly and both stood outside the door for a couple of minutes while the elder found his keycard. Baekhyun hesitantly invited Jongin inside, but the latter declined. "10 hours with someone is enough." he joked, mocking the similar comment Baekhyun had given after their interview. Both guys silently acknowledged that a drunken night was not the night within which they wanted to push themselves further than they already had. "Goodnight Mr. Byun, I shall see you bright and early on Monday!!" Jongin voiced playfully, complete with a 90 degree bow which caused laughter from the other.

Jongin slept in on Saturday and wasn't awoken by his phone buzzing at 10am. When he finally rolled out of bed at 1pm, he checked his phone and smiled before even reading the messages, as he knew who it would be.

[KakaoTalk Notification!] (10.01am) ByunBaek: I wanna show you somewhere tonight. Promise it doesn't involve soju... Unless you want it to

[KakaoTalk Notification!] (10.45am) ByunBaek: Still sleeping? , you're lazy. Let's meet at 9pm, if you're even up by then

So, 9pm came and Jongin received a very punctual knock on his apartment door, which immediately perked up his mood. He swung it open to see a casually dressed Baekhyun with freshly washed hair, his shirt almost baggy enough to reach the ripped knees of his skinny jeans. "Ready?" the older male asked, with Jongin nodding in response. Both headed out. The streets were fairly quiet and lit by street lights, and Jongin's curiosity was burning as hot as the lamps. "Where are we going?" he asked for the third time, still greeted only by a knowing smile. Baekhyun clutched a 7/11 bag as he led the way through downtown towards the quiet stream which ran through the city. They went down the steps and started following along the running water. "It's just where I go when I want to relax. I hope I didn't peak your hopes too much." Baekhyun explained as they reached the resevoir towards the end of the stream, surrounded by quiet grassy areas and lit rather scenically by small tea-lights dotted around the body of water. It was surely a beautiful place, despite being eerily empty. The only sounds were the water washing over small artificial pebble-waterfalls feeding the lake.

It was serene, and Jongin liked it a lot, which was pretty obvious through his careful staring observations and the smile stretching out his lips. They sat on a small bench near a babbling waterfall, and Baekhyun opened up the plastic bag. "Ta-da!" he exclaimed, revealing two bottles of strawberry milk and some small sweet bread buns. "Why's that so cute.." Jongin muttered, eyebrows slightly furrowed before he laughed softly and took his milk from Baekhyun. After sticking in the straw, he held it up. "Cheers to the two best looking guys in the company." he toasted, playfully grinning while Baekhyun rolled his eyes and tapped the bottles together.

"You should come here to paint someday." Baekhyun said, slouching back against the bench, his eyes pouring over the rippling reflections of stars in the water. "I should, but it takes me hours. If you come with me, I could perhaps withstand the time." Jongin replied, sipping his drink and watching Baekhyun's childishly round eyes that were filled with the kind of awe small kids project when in a candy shop. "I think I would, I'd like to watch you paint, sounds like fun," the smaller male responded, eyes moving to meet his counterparts with a small smile, "It'd be better than coming alone all the time." he finished. Jongin's fingers moved delicately to move a straw strand of fluffy hair from Baekhyun's face, which was illuminated gently by the moonlight. "Loneliness is no fun. Be glad you have me now." Jongin nodded with his bold statement. Baekhyun nodded too and continued to observe the other males features, whose skin was still sunkissed even under the stars, and his eyes darker than ever, almost neverendingly deep. "Never thought I'd bring someone here, though." the boss explained sheepishly, sipping sweetly on his milk afterwards. "Well, guess I like being the first. Was I your first kiss, too, Baekhyun?" Jongin pried curiously, but was met with a scoff and gentle laughter from the other, "You crazy? You've seen my face, right? I was quite the ladies man in high school." And both boys erupted with laughter, as they relaxed into reminiscent talk and stories from their past.

"...Do you like me, Jongin?" Baekhyun asked shyly after a few minutes of blissful quiet. "What kind of question is that?" Jongin asked, his nose wrinkling slightly with the reluctancy to provide a concrete answer to such an obvious question, "I like you a lot.". With the reassurance came a smile from Baekhyun, who leaned in closer to press a small kiss to Jongin's cheek. It was a sweet, innocent gesture that caused Jongin to uncontrollably smile and push his fingers through his hair. ", you're good. You're good, Baekhyun. I can see why girls fell for you." he murmured through soft laughter. "Well, I still don't know why I'm falling so quickly for you." Baekhyun answered, slight wrinkles apparent on his forehead as he knitted his brows. It was as though those butterflies had turned into humming birds, and Jongin closed his eyes while biting down on his lower lip, which was stretched into a huge smile. Baekhyun was falling for him, and Jongin knew pretty damn well he'd also been falling for a long time.

"Wait, look." Baekhyun interrupted the conversations flow by pointing up desperately at the sky. "I knew it'd be tonight!! Shooting stars." he explained, almost bouncing in place with his excitement. Jongin's eyes opened and he looked up in unison with Baekhyun at the twinkling dark, waiting for a few silent seconds before seeing a streak of burning brightness travel the sky. "You gotta hold your breath until the next one and make a wish on it." Jongin knowingly assured the other, who responded with hesitance "What if it doesn't come for a long time and we both die holding out breaths? Nobody ever told me I'm supposed to hold my breath before.." he muttered, concerned. "Just do it, that's what my grandpa always told me." the younger retorted, inhaling dramatically before holding his breath. He was followed by Baekhyun. They held their breath for about 7 seconds and then saw another stream of glitter kissing the dark blanket of the sky. Both boys wished before breathing out, and Jongin immediately looked at Baekhyun. "What'd you wish?" he asked quickly, eyebrows slightly elevated. "I can't tell you, Jongin! Then it won't come true." Baekhyun pouted. "Fine, okay. We'll keep them a secret until they come true." the taller male stated with a firm nod, before leaning over and pressing a soft, brief kiss on the others lips. "What was that for?" Baekhyun asked. "I thought maybe you'd wished I'd kiss you.." Jongin responded, lower lip slightly jutted out as Baekhyun scoffed loudly and punched him in the chest. Truthfully, though they didn't know the severity nor appropriateness of their wishes at the time, they had actually wished for something peculiarly similar. "I wish Baekhyun good health" and "I wish I'll get better".